Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-02-2009, 09:59 AM   #91
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
i have to say this . if the FG GT . HAS MORE POWER ,HIGHER REVS, than its predecessors , and gets a better wrap off the mags with track times etc . then why is it slower at bathurst , than a BF XR8. FFS.

I SEE HOLDENS ARE DOING BETTER TIMES TOO.

for me , i think sales will be effected to some degree here . somethings wrong . ARE WE BEING MISS LED BY FORD . and where was the F6 310 KING ???
Relax a little, driver ability could be worth 10 or more seconds a lap around bathurst.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 10:22 AM   #92
smciner1
Detroit Locker Equiped TM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugget378
Relax a little, driver ability could be worth 10 or more seconds a lap around bathurst.
Very good point Nugget, if one of us hopped in Lowndes V8 Supercar and did a few Laps around bathurst, we would be no where near Lowndes times, thats why he is paid the Big bucks to race the thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRJUCY
Simple give the car a rev & have a listen a Windsor makes a sort of wheezy drone similar to an angry Hugh Grant when a Clevo will sound like Satan has woke up with a hangover & realized he is out of coffee & cigarettes
Falcon GT Club of Geelong.
http://www.facebook.com/FalconGTClubGeelong
smciner1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 10:33 AM   #93
ehast13
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit dissappointed to see Steve Johnson (no slouch around Bathurst) unable to break 2:40.
Especially compared to John Bowe's 2:35 in a 260kw BF XR8 the previous year.

I wonder how developed the car was??

It might have been stock as arock apart from brake pads and cage. If so, the rolly poly suspension in current FPV's wouldn't help anything.

Does anyone remember what times the Old AU TE50 did? It was always pretty quick...
ehast13 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 10:44 AM   #94
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ehast13
Does anyone remember what times the Old AU TE50 did? It was always pretty quick...
According to Natsoft 2:39
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 11:27 AM   #95
TIC-302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGXR270
Is the VT running a trent 900 engine or something? (Airbus A380 engine for the unaware)

Na mate, it had the trusty old 3.8L :
TIC-302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 01:02 PM   #96
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smciner1
Very good point Nugget, if one of us hopped in Lowndes V8 Supercar and did a few Laps around bathurst, we would be no where near Lowndes times, thats why he is paid the Big bucks to race the thing.
Well I have beaten Craig Lowndes in a circuit race......

Oh ok, it was the sunny coast tourist go-carts and my cart was quicker than his

BUT....

A WIN IS A WIN.....
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 02:05 PM   #97
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIC-302
Probably good for a 1:55 in a Reynard :
Old 27-02-2009, 06:43 PM   #98
Gammaboy
Grinder+Welder = Race car

Hasn't someone run something like a 2:05 in a F5000 at the Bathurst historics?
Old 27-02-2009, 07:35 PM   #99
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Quote:
On a side note. The comparo between VPSS, EB XR8, VH grpIII and Phase three was won by the phase three. Not by much but it was hardly a sprint. Even on old aquejets, no cage, etc it pulled a 2:58
Thanks for that clarification. I remember the times being so evenly matched. My recollection was about 1s off the correct time too!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
phillyc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 07:48 PM   #100
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gammaboy
Hasn't someone run something like a 2:05 in a F5000 at the Bathurst historics?
In 1970, Niel Allen drove a McLaren M10B F5000 around the track in 2m07.7s. He wasn't being pushed so should have been able to go faster. Wings & slicks open wheelers haven't been on that circuit since.

F5000 was around for more than a decade past then and the cars got appreciably faster.
Old 27-02-2009, 09:14 PM   #101
philstoj
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
On a side note. The comparo between VPSS, EB XR8, VH grpIII and Phase three was won by the phase three. Not by much but it was hardly a sprint. Even on old aquejets, no cage, etc it pulled a 2:58
The phase 3 actually had pirelli P6000 tyres from memory, as the owner of the car said, they were the only tyre available that were closest to the original tyres.
philstoj is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-02-2009, 09:40 PM   #102
TURBOTAXI
Turbo Falcon Fiend

I just want to see a youtube video of such a race - I dont even care who wins.
Old 28-02-2009, 03:23 PM   #103
Ives
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Do a 24hr-endurance race to find the real winner.
Ives is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 05:34 PM   #104
FGXR270
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIC-302
Trusty???Nothing sounds worse or goes slower,worst engine holden ever used (ecotec).
FGXR270 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 08:23 PM   #105
Supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by PURSUIT-250
Dont forget that the FG is a little Fatter than the XY.
Would't the Phase 3 be about 300 kilo's lighter.
Supercharged is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:19 PM   #106
smally289
growing up is optional

Quote:
Originally Posted by FGXR270
Trusty???Nothing sounds worse or goes slower,worst engine holden ever used (ecotec).
They don't call em 'ecowreck' for nothing.........
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:46 PM   #107
FTe342
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Since the FG can't run on the track the way it was, you would have to get a Ph3 to run on the track the way it is now. Better surface should make it faster.

The FG GT certainly is a great Grand Tourer, but a 4 door race car its not. The XY Ph3 was a great 4 door race car, and probably not a bad tourer in its day.

But the times the FG produced in the hands of seasoned drivers shows there is a problem. I believe its nose heavy and this affects its corner speed which ultimately affects your terminal speed at the end of each straight. Because Bathurst is a long track this multiplies the problem. To be so far behind the opposition is embarrassing
T3 TL50 #147 Silhouette Auto ESS - Brembos - Last of 3 in T3 spec, only AUIII TL50 ever built -14.2 sec @ 98mph bog stock. Only customer ordered T3 TL50 built, only LWB sedan plated AUIII and the last performance enhanced LWB sedan built by Ford Aust.

AUII Fairlane Ghia Sportsman 5.0L in Blue Pearl

OWN THE ROAD
FTe342 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 10:48 PM   #108
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
The real winner of what?

The topic at hand is'nt Lemans, its bathurst and GT's..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-02-2009, 11:01 PM   #109
v8falconsrule
Blue ~oval~ Blooded!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet
Since the FG can't run on the track the way it was, you would have to get a Ph3 to run on the track the way it is now. Better surface should make it faster.
good idea, however i can't imagine there'd be too many people lining up to thrash a genuine, original condition ph3 just to settle a discussion like this one.

50th Anniv G6E Turbo in Sensation
Cobalt blue 94 ED XR8 Sprint- resto/ project
v8falconsrule is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:34 AM   #110
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

sleep:

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 06:41 AM   #111
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

sleep:...*...wha? sorry...um..1 lap sprint? FG no doubt both in STOCK TRIM not Biante trim 500hp

Enduro? PH3 as the FG are too fragile and something would break...bound to...IMHO

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
platinumXR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:24 PM   #112
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaynet

The FG GT certainly is a great Grand Tourer, but a 4 door race car its not. The XY Ph3 was a great 4 door race car, and probably not a bad tourer in its day.

But the times the FG produced in the hands of seasoned drivers shows there is a problem. I believe its nose heavy and this affects its corner speed which ultimately affects your terminal speed at the end of each straight. Because Bathurst is a long track this multiplies the problem. To be so far behind the opposition is embarrassing

i understand your points . but FORD and the MAGS all trumped on about how the FG was a marked improvement over BA/BF in all these key areas. i think even race drivers backed it up with track times .

SO WHY DOES A BF 260 BEAT A GT 315 later improved model ????
to me maybe we are being HAD ( LIED TO BY FORD) marketeering. CDAA atests to this in another thread with his test drive of the FG GT.
gtfpv is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #113
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
i understand your points . but FORD and the MAGS all trumped on about how the FG was a marked improvement over BA/BF in all these key areas. i think even race drivers backed it up with track times .

to me maybe we are being HAD ( LIED TO BY FORD) marketeering. CDAA atests to this in another thread with his test drive of the FG GT.
The car driven in the 2008 Enduro by John Bowe and Co has been raced for a few seasons, it's well set-up in the handling department and im pretty sure in the class they race they can upgrade to 4 Pot brakes on the front.

Like it or not, a well tuned BF XR8 V a Never before raced and poorly prepared FG GT.. we'll lets just say the proof was in the results, with the amount of body roll the thing had i'd be suprised if it even had a decent Spring & Shock combo under it.

So the BF would have killed it going up the mountain and coming down, under brakes would have been similar since the XR8 had a fronts upgrade and the rears on a b series do sweet FA, now down the straights i'd be suprised if that FG even had a tune, so a factory tune FG GT V a Well tuned BF XR8, wont be much in it.

Over the whole lap, the FG won't have been faster anywhere.

Give that same GT a season or a few tests race meetings (Like the FG Xr8...) and it begins to show more potential.

Why Steven johnson even accepted the drive is beyond me, hell Djr could have slapped a better example of a "racecar" together than that in under a week and had time to tweek it a bit.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 05:26 PM   #114
JACK250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ives
Good way to build arms I guess
JACK250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-03-2009, 05:43 PM   #115
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Simple.. well sorted set-up. That same BF XR8 spanked allot of HSV's too...

Old 01-03-2009, 08:18 PM   #116
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Simple.. well sorted set-up. That same BF XR8 spanked allot of HSV's too...
perhaps , but hardly seems a fair race if ones stock the other modded . yet i dont know the rules , however i've always liked the idea of manufacturers cars racing . . if DJR raced a completely stock vehiclew against modded vehicles ( which i doubt) , then they were probably settinmg themselves up for a fall. and further if that is so. then it doesnt say much for factory performance vehicles . on australian cars . imagine getting a porsche tuned and aftermarket mods !! that would be sacreligious .
Old 01-03-2009, 08:27 PM   #117
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
perhaps , but hardly seems a fair race if ones stock the other modded . yet i dont know the rules , however i've always liked the idea of manufacturers cars racing . . if DJR raced a completely stock vehiclew against modded vehicles ( which i doubt) , then they were probably settinmg themselves up for a fall. and further if that is so. then it doesnt say much for factory performance vehicles . on australian cars . imagine getting a porsche tuned and aftermarket mods !! that would be sacreligious .
Both cars will be within the "stock" rules of the class however simple basic things like shock settings, spring rates, wheel camber, tyre compounds etc can make an enormous difference to lap times, one has been optimized through trial and error, the other isnt, that's the difference.

Old 01-03-2009, 09:11 PM   #118
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
They don't call em 'ecowreck' for nothing.........
Still quicker than most of the Falcons, and as I said earlier, good for around a 1:55 lap in a Reynard chassis.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:57 PM   #119
gtfpv
GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
Both cars will be within the "stock" rules of the class however simple basic things like shock settings, spring rates, wheel camber, tyre compounds etc can make an enormous difference to lap times, one has been optimized through trial and error, the other isnt, that's the difference.

I see . thanks .