Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-06-2012, 11:28 PM   #91
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: UK motorways to be 80mph (130km/h) 2013

you can also add the unpredictability of Aussie drivers to the problems, people weaving/cutting across lanes, you are cruising happily down the freeway on cc, next thing person in the right lanes decides to take the off ramp 200 metres ahead and swerves across 3/4 lanes of traffic(if the traffic is actually flowing), , you can almost gaurantee with any trip from outer burbs of melb inbound or out bound you will see one or 2 examples of this .....every trip, erattic driving etc, etc.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #92
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
I guess in final preparation for 80mph, an upgrade to UK penalties:-
Middle-lane hogging is in relation to three-laned motorway stretches. Might do that here:-) See full story.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz1xr19bWmu
But - and I've pointed this out several times before - middle lane hogging is allowed by the Australian (and presumably thus all state) Road Rules which require you only to stay out of the right lane unless overtaking. You need to fix this first.

Presently appreciating the 130 km/h motorways in the Czech Republic. I asked someone giving me a lift why weren't the police onto the ones who were passing us as though we were standing still when we were already doing 130, as they would savagely in Australia. He replied that the Czech police couldn't afford the petrol. If only that could be the case in Australia!
new2ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 11:40 AM   #93
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
But - and I've pointed this out several times before - middle lane hogging is allowed by the Australian (and presumably thus all state) Road Rules which require you only to stay out of the right lane unless overtaking. You need to fix this first.

Presently appreciating the 130 km/h motorways in the Czech Republic. I asked someone giving me a lift why weren't the police onto the ones who were passing us as though we were standing still when we were already doing 130, as they would savagely in Australia. He replied that the Czech police couldn't afford the petrol. If only that could be the case in Australia!
HERALD SUN is a pay/registration required site - -
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/tru...-1226397621954

VICTORIA -
Quote:
RIGHT-lane road hogs will be the target of a sweeping new police crackdown.

Under the blitz, selfish motorists caught refusing to move to the left will be punished with an on-the-spot $122 fine and the loss of two demerit points.

It is the first time Victoria Police's highway patrols will seek go-slow motorists – often dubbed "Sunday drivers" – *and enforce the law of failing to keep as far left as possible*.

The tough stance on these drivers will also pinpoint tailgaters as winter brings dangerous low light levels and wet conditions.
Despite the BOLD referencing in this story (since that would relate to two-lane roads for enforcement purposes and application), we are technically required, then on a three-lane stretch of freeway to be in the left-lane, though as you appreciate 90% of folk drive in the middle lane. The UK motorway code is the same as ours, except they also prohibit passing of slower traffic by use of the left motorway lane. WE could adopt that rule, putting even greater onus on keeping-left and not middle.

This Victorian move, will only focus on the right traffic lane for the offence, as most Aussie HWP staffers simply 'don't get it'.

Patience my man....
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf

Last edited by Keepleft; 17-06-2012 at 11:47 AM.
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2012, 04:35 PM   #94
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

But we aren't technically required to be in the left (leftmost) lane in 3 or more lanes, only to stay out of the right lane. Section 130 of ARR:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/s...r210/s130.html

Yes a UK type rule about not passing on the left might help but I don't know if Australian drivers would be astute enough to move out of the middle lane even then. I wonder what the rule in European countries is? They seem to keep to the far right (equivalent of our far left).

I tell ya, being able to drive at 130 makes so much difference. You feel unshackled. It's about the right speed for longer distances, a sort of optimum balance between the human brain and not stressing the engine or fuel consumption too much. Funnily enough you don't feel the need to go faster, 130 is comfortable. And then there's removal of the stress of watching out for HP cars lurking in the bushes.

Provided the motorway is built to the right standard it convinces me it is all about revenue-raising in Australia. Just hold the speed limit frustratingly below the optimum for the conditions and rake in the dough.
Old 17-06-2012, 07:12 PM   #95
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by new2ford
But we aren't technically required to be in the left (leftmost) lane in 3 or more lanes, only to stay out of the right lane. Section 130 of ARR:

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/s...r210/s130.html

Yes a UK type rule about not passing on the left might help but I don't know if Australian drivers would be astute enough to move out of the middle lane even then.
Quote:
I wonder what the rule in European countries is? They seem to keep to the far right (equivalent of our far left).
Aside from the left-lane motorway passing prohibition in GB, our fundamental keep-left for motorway rules are the exact same as them, and as Germany, France and in all other LHD and RHD countries. The requirement for this rule, is held in The UN Convention on Road Traffic.

The left lane passing prohibition used by GB, is a separate add-on rule from that UN Convention requirement. I see if our German friends have the same non Convention rule. Don't se any real workability issues with it regardless, the no to passing on the left GB rule, is a way used to amplify to the public to not dawdle in the middle.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 17-06-2012, 08:40 PM   #96
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Aside from the left-lane motorway passing prohibition in GB, our fundamental keep-left for motorway rules are the exact same as them, and as Germany, France and in all other LHD and RHD countries. The requirement for this rule, is held in The UN Convention on Road Traffic.

The left lane passing prohibition used by GB, is a separate add-on rule from that UN Convention requirement. I see if our German friends have the same non Convention rule. Don't se any real workability issues with it regardless, the no to passing on the left GB rule, is a way used to amplify to the public to not dawdle in the middle.
That's interesting then, but the Czechs, Germans, English etc have the nouse/consideration to default to the kerbside lane even if the rules don't require them too. The problem is that many (most?) Australian drivers are a little further down the evolutionary tree.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 AM   #97
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Bit of an update;
Some news items mid September 2012 suggested Cameron and his new Transport Secretary had killed off the idea of an 80MPH limit for certain GB motorways; news example of this-
http://www.dailystar.co.uk/posts/view/272593

But, always best to check Government directly for actual progress; this October 22, 2012 Pdf from "The House of Commons Transport Committee",- discusses the issue further, and you can see how the roads agency proposes to proceed:-
http://www.publications.parliament.u...an/648/648.pdf

NON pdf of same:-
http://www.publications.parliament.u.../648/64804.htm

And so it goes.
Old 06-11-2012, 12:30 PM   #98
GT-P Colesy
09 FG GT-P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
Have you been on the Monash freeway? They completely resurfaced and repainted a good 5km stretch of it, its 4 lanes either direction and then they reduced the speed limit from 100km/h to 80, .
Witch is the same thing they did in Brisbane on the Gateway north of the bridge
GT-P Colesy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 01:37 PM   #99
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

QLD have recently mentioed 130 zones which set off the blue touch paper in RACQ, Police union and of course the southern nannies.

Lets see how this goes as our current Government are not all that interested in what minority group whingers have to say.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 02:47 PM   #100
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So with a 80 mph limit they will just be legalising what they already do.
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-11-2012, 05:59 PM   #101
aualright

There are many examples in Australia of drivers not leeping left, but closest to me would be Mona Vale Rd which although only a 90 zone, it has distinct Keep Left unless Overtaking signs. This is never obeyed in my experience.

I'm not too fussed about a 130 limit, but I do think all trucks / lorries should not be allowed in the far right lane on any road where the limit is 80 or more. Slowing down at roundabouts and using your indicator correctly is another.

If these are policed correctly, I'm certain we would have less incidents - including road rage. But then again, how often do you see police vehicles not following the same rules they are meant to be enforcing. I'd like to start a website that outs these offenders but fear I would be opening myself up to some unwanted 'attention'.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post: