Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-03-2006, 04:48 PM   #91
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
IMO speed limits around schools should be 60kph. They were when I was at school and this was per ABS! I, like the rest of my school friends were not hit by cars. Why? We were taught of the dangers of the road. Unlike today.
I refer you to the latest TAC commercial where the girl gets hit. They change one fact of 5klms and she only gets bruses. How about you look both ways and get no injuries at all!

This makes me soo angry. Look Left and right. No injury then!
I agree to an extent, but a combination of educating the little buggers and slowing down for them would only serve to decrease the chances of an accident yeah? Believe me, almost skittling someone is NOT a good feeling.

Back in Blue baby!
pandaman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 04:50 PM   #92
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
Pandaman - Much as I hate the fact that ACT School Zones operate all day, I find it easier to live with than when I lived in Sydney with the Morning/Afternoon schedule. I don't have to look at my watch in the ACT, I just know its 40km zone.
That is a good point, I actually prefer them too, I was just pointing out that the difference between states can cause confusion.

Back in Blue baby!
Old 20-03-2006, 04:53 PM   #93
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Problem is education though.

How many of the little buggers do you see just run onto the road without even looking?

And the worst thing is too, that most of them pause when they see you coming.

As LTDHO said, and the way I was taught, was to look left, right, left again and then cross. I believe it was at the Dandenong Traffic Centre (some pedestrian/vehicle kiddies training thing) way back when (1990 or something like that).
Old 20-03-2006, 05:01 PM   #94
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Perhaps if there was some way to fine kids for not looking both ways before crossing they would enforce that?
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 05:03 PM   #95
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
As LTDHO said, and the way I was taught, was to look left, right, left again and then cross. I believe it was at the Dandenong Traffic Centre (some pedestrian/vehicle kiddies training thing) way back when (1990 or something like that).
Not sure if it has changed since but im only 17 and went through similar training.

Quote:
They change one fact of 5klms and she only gets bruses. How about you look both ways and get no injuries at all!
I hate that add, such a stupid stiuation to use as an example!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 05:21 PM   #96
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Perhaps if there was some way to fine kids for not looking both ways before crossing they would enforce that?
Well if it's good enough to fine drivers for speeding then its good enough to fine kids who delibrately be stupid ie (high school/college).
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 05:55 PM   #97
Scott

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Well if it's good enough to fine drivers for speeding then its good enough to fine kids who delibrately be stupid ie (high school/college).
I don't think they deliberately get run over.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 05:59 PM   #98
svo347
AFF's 1st DM.......

Location: Wha???... There is only 2 states 2 be in.. WA or Drunk..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Strangley enough, after driving past edith cowan university, there is no speed restriction zones at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by zetec
I know what lengths they go to to ensure it's more than just a Ford sticker on the part. Ford doesn't throw it's name on anything for a quick buck.
06 Turbo Terri AWD 6 sp in Neo with stuff i didnt even need, side steps,15.2 inch roof mounted DVD,Pioneer $tezza,Selby 30/18mm swaybars,debunged,100 cpsi Ballistic cat,Plazmaman under battery Cai injectors 14/lb boost,ZF tuned,Xtreme's magic. :
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:06 PM   #99
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMH8TR
I don't think they deliberately get run over.
That wasn't my point. There's morons who delibrately stroll in front of your car. Their intent is not to get run over but be a smart ИИИИ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by svo347
Strangley enough, after driving past edith cowan university, there is no speed restriction zones at all.
In the ACT they have speed limits for college and high schools. I think uni does aswell. I know at CIT(ACT equiv of TAFE) it is 40km/h. Our zones are in force from 8-4 I think.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:15 PM   #100
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Wrap the kids up in more cotton wool.

How about clamp down on illegal u-turns, double parking, irratic driving, parking and standing in bus zones, distracted driving, illegal parking, reversing with out looking behind, 4wd etc in school zones first. This is where the fatalies and injuries come from.

Notice how there aren't calls for that? Parents change? No way! Either the kids or the rest of the traffic. The kids are okay most of the time, its the bloody parents! I call for cameras to watch for behavior like this and send parents fines through the mail. Or allow supervising teachers/lollie pops to give written warnings which result in vechicals being banned from school zones.
Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:55 PM   #101
chief
FTF Club Moderator

Some pedestrians think the paint is going to save their life and they can step out onto the road at any time they want. That annoys me.

Falcon Tickford FPV (FTF) Car Club of NSW

Fords in the Park 2010

I use and recommend Stingray Car Security.
http://www.stingraycar.com.au/
chief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-03-2006, 06:56 PM   #102
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
Some pedestrians think the paint is going to save their life and they can step out onto the road at any time they want.
Ain't that the truth.
Old 21-03-2006, 12:00 AM   #103
muppet

I was stopped at a crossing today one controlled by traffic lights.This crossing is just down the road from a high school and it is a 40k zone. a great big group of kids crossed the road then the lights went green for the cars to go and these 4 stupid girls about 13 or 14 years old just walked strait out accross the crossing like they owned the place . The cars had allready started to move off, that did not worry them they just kept comming. Every one stopped and let them get accross to the middle of the road. This road is 4 lanes wide with a median strip in the middle so they stopped in the middle because the cars on the other side were allready moveing. I was in the right hand lane so I wound down my window and yelled at them to "grow a brain" as I went past. They turned around and stuck their fingers up at the next 4 or 5 cars that went past . And people wonder why these morons get run down I am amazed at the atitudes of young kids it's like they think they wont get hurt if a car runs them over. It's like nobody has ever told them that cars are killing machines. Oh well I hope they don't end up finding out the hard way. I have personally seen someone get run down and killed . It was a drunk bloke stumbleing along the side of the road and he stumbled a bit to far and fell in front of an xb falcon. It dragged him 30 meters down the road and he ended up stuck under the diff. They had to jack the car up to get the body out. I felt sorry for the driver he was a mess he couldn't even stand up when he got out of the car .We all thought he was drunk but he was just in shock. No one should have to endure that. One second he was driveing down the road doing the speed limit the next he had killed someone. No body should have to live with that.
Old 21-03-2006, 12:56 AM   #104
pertuan
Focus on my Focus

25km is WAAAAYY too slow. On a MTX you'd need to be in 2nd gear... and thats the power gear. You'd be spending a heap of time looking at your speedo just to make sure you're actually going 25.

40km is fine. But they should make it only during the hours where school kids are actually out. Near my parent's house, the school zone is constantly at 40km. Even at 2am when there are NO kids around. Thats just silly. And I always see mothers in big ИИИИ Landcruisers burning by at 60km or more. They're in big high cars/trucks which already makes it hard for them to see little kids and they are speeding. Thats just wrong. I too get them riding my ИИИИ so closely that I can clearly see that Toyota badge in my mirrors.

Education to the kids is also a key. I remember when I was little, I'd never cross the street without looking both ways and I wouldnt even cross the street if I reckon there were alot of cars around.

Now normally when we have these races, Jeremy goes in the car and says "Powerrr" alot.... - James speaking about Jeremy (Top Gear S7 E05)

American parts... Russian parts... ALL MADE IN TAIWAN! - Russian guy in Armegeddon
pertuan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 01:08 AM   #105
slipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltd
No, again you're mistaken, I don't have any problems reading signs when they are visible. Where did I say I have no problem reading other obscured or otherwise signs that indicate anything else but a school zone? Don't make facts up or base your evidence on supposition to support your lacklustre arguement.
Stop being such a pussy ltd. Back in post #32 you stated that school speed limit signs can be obscured by trees etc. That is correct, no argument from me. I then asked you how this differs from any other speed limit sign; why the need for flashing lights (at huge cost)? Rather than an answer, you threw a hissy fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTXR
No, I don't need flashing stimuli every time I come across a stop sign, but then again I don't know of too many stop signs that only operate at certain times of the day and certain days of the year either!
Seeing a sign and checking your watch can be terribly difficult...
slipper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 02:07 AM   #106
pandaman
Back in Blue!

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipper
Not at all, but when the time on your watch is 5 minutes faster than the one the copper is wearing things can get interesting.

Back in Blue baby!
Old 21-03-2006, 02:32 AM   #107
new2ford
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaman
Not at all, but when the time on your watch is 5 minutes faster than the one the copper is wearing things can get interesting.
Simply solved. Lets have a clock on each speed sign as well as bells and flashing lights.

This discussion is dealing with the problem rather than the cause which is huge numbers of drivers who shouldn't even be licensed to drive because they do not have the level of awareness and responsibility to drive. Not that they're aggressive - they're vague, unalert and unaware and really have nfi. Its basic common sense to be extra alert when passing a school and slow to a speed where you can stop if something suddenly happens. How many people pass a stopped bus with their foot flat on the throttle when they should be thinking 'is somebody going to step out from in front of that bus?' for example, and slow down and be ready to brake. Not that many I suspect.

Too many cars in the hands of fools is the reason these limits are being imposed but better driver education would be more productive than reducing the limit to a crawl. In a lot of accidents outside schools the vehicle is in fact doing less than 25k - its the state of the driver's brain that's the problem.
Old 21-03-2006, 05:21 AM   #108
xurbanx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My car goes slow enough as it is on a 40km during school hours (: There were soo many times I've felt like sticking my arm out the window and point at the 40kmph speed limit to those nasty tailgaters >.<

But 25kmph, I reckon thats a bit slow. 40's alright =D
xurbanx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 08:51 AM   #109
LTDHO
The one and only

Quote:
It is when you ride a motobike, and watching for kids that don't look first and car doors that open...
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief
.....they can step out onto the road at any time they want. That annoys me
Yeah, the menality is that cars are to giveway to ped's not the other way..
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-03-2006, 08:53 AM   #110
ltd
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Stop being such a pussy ltd. Back in post #32 you stated that school speed limit signs can be obscured by trees etc. That is correct, no argument from me. I then asked you how this differs from any other speed limit sign; why the need for flashing lights (at huge cost)? Rather than an answer, you threw a hissy fit.

There are several people in this world that I find obnoxious and you are all of them.

And I answered you in my last post about how it differs from other signs.

Hissy Fit?
That's a good one.
Before you start waxing idiotic once more perhaps you should remove your head from your ИИИИ and actually read other peoples posts before making a judgement on the first two sentences.
Honestly, I don't know what makes you so stupid, but it really works.
If you're so against state governments spending money on safety perhaps you should take up your true calling and work in the PR department of Peter Beat-offs government. Then you can espouse your nonsense to the community whilst simultaneously earning up to 80k p.a. This is more than any intellectual midget has accomplished before so you will be setting a record.

Quote: