Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-11-2015, 08:57 PM   #91
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Beware Mario's Trailers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
Could be just as simple as a missing cotter pin after service. Don't laugh I've seen it several times.
FML, no missing cotter pin, the pin and wheel nut was still there after the wheel came off the bearing disintegrated, it is not a difficult concept to comprehend.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-11-2015, 09:01 PM   #92
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
FML, no missing cotter pin, the pin and wheel nut was still there after the wheel came off the bearing disintegrated, it is not a difficult concept to comprehend.
A pity you didn't mention that in your initial post. Some people...............
Old 27-11-2015, 09:04 PM   #93
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertM View Post
Chinese, no name bearing are not to be trusted. Not because they are inferior but the lack of quality control. They are just as good as US or Japan bearings it's just that the odd crook one gets through manufacturing.

It a bit tough to blame the trailer builder given that no name bearings are used by many builders. If you knew about Chinese bearings you should have check when you took delivery.

And comparing single axle to a bogie trailer is apples and oranges. The forces on the bearings on a bogie trailer are substantially greater than a single axle.
Yes of course I should have, I should probably have x rayed all the welds, sonic tested the steel frame, and done a forensic analysis on the age of the rubber in the tyres, then got the three independent engineers reports before taking delivery of a brand new car trailer. This is of course on top of stripping chemically cleaning and and repacking the bearings prior to every drive and every three month which ever comes first.

Of course after doing that I would have to obtain three engineers reports again as the trailer had clearly been modified when the new grease got added, of course the grease used must come with a certificate of authenticity that it was mouth mixed by naked Himalayan virgins before being packed and imported into Australia.

Anything else I should have done??

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 27-11-2015 at 09:10 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #94
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so these trailer bearings were checked / inspected / and nothing to report

your beef should stand with the last dudes that touched it

my wheel fell off / blame game
Old 27-11-2015, 09:12 PM   #95
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post
so these trailer bearings were checked / inspected / and nothing to report

your beef should stand with the last dudes that touched it

my wheel fell off / blame game
Read the thread, it's all there, I won't keep repeating myself for those slow on the uptake.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-11-2015, 09:15 PM   #96
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Read the thread, it's all there, I won't keep repeating myself for those slow on the uptake.
cliffs

for those that cbf

starting to drag like a trailer with a bodgy wheel
Old 27-11-2015, 09:19 PM   #97
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Seriously I can't be bothered any longer, either people be aware of cheap rubbish and learn from my experience or they can blame the customer who bought a brand new trailer for several thousand $$ and expected it to last longer than 3000km, silly me I guess.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 27-11-2015, 09:29 PM   #98
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Seriously I can't be bothered any longer, either people be aware of cheap rubbish and learn from my experience or they can blame the customer who bought a brand new trailer for several thousand $$ and expected it to last longer than 3000km.
dont give up so easy

i was up to the trailer and bearings were inspected, adjusted and given a clean bill of health - at 12 months

Old 27-11-2015, 10:15 PM   #99
AlbertM
Cracked Pot

Quote:
Yes of course I should have, I should probably have x rayed all the welds, sonic tested the steel frame, and done a forensic analysis on the age of the rubber in the tyres, then got the three independent engineers reports before taking delivery of a brand new car trailer. This is of course on top of stripping chemically cleaning and and repacking the bearings prior to every drive and every three month which ever comes first.

Of course after doing that I would have to obtain three engineers reports again as the trailer had clearly been modified when the new grease got added, of course the grease used must come with a certificate of authenticity that it was mouth mixed by naked Himalayan virgins before being packed and imported into Australia.

Anything else I should have done??
Yeah, removed the dust cap, removed the split pin, unscrewed the single nut and checked the bearings.
Old 27-11-2015, 10:18 PM   #100
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

And did we repack the bearings when checking and adjusting?
This user likes this post:
Old 27-11-2015, 10:59 PM   #101
calais
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have chinese bearings on my box trailer. I strip and regrease them every six months.

In 8 years of being flogged mercilessly by me and my mates Ive never been that bloke on the side of the road cursing at a lost wheel.

A stitch in time saves nine. In this case its an hour well spent. Lessons learnt on both sides .
Old 28-11-2015, 02:20 AM   #102
marty351
Shenanigans..............

The fact still remains,

Trailer is an epic fail.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 03:22 AM   #103
MattSAU2XR8

And repacking bearings every six months sounds pretty crazy. They should just put some bigger or stronger bearings in there and proper dust seals and lots of grease. No one repacks the wheel bearings on a car every six months.
Old 28-11-2015, 06:38 AM   #104
BFGasUte
Banned

Hello,

Most trailers are of poor quality. Bad wiring and crappy lights also. I have had mine over 30 years and have replaced the electrical bits. Wheel bearings once, as the seals gave out so I did the whole job. The trailer here is an expensive one, which should have had decent bearings fitted. Adjusting the preload after a few thousand K should be all that was needed. A bicycle will go further without losing a wheel. I had a wheel come off a U-Haul at night, other tyre failed. Almost tore out the tow bar. Safety is important to me, so rather than " Bagging " some-one who is warning you of a risk, listen and check yours. If a wheel fell off a new Falcon GT after 4000 K would you blame the owner ?
5 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 06:59 AM   #105
Liam66

So, you bought a cheap trailer and then complain when it doesn't work like a quality one?

One look at Marios workshop, office, advertising , trailers or welding and you'd get a pretty good idea your not getting a quality product.

Buy the cheapest, pay the price.
Old 28-11-2015, 07:25 AM   #106
BFGasUte
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam66 View Post
So, you bought a cheap trailer and then complain when it doesn't work like a quality one?

One look at Marios workshop, office, advertising , trailers or welding and you'd get a pretty good idea your not getting a quality product.

Hello,

The Add says quality. Does a wheel falling off sound like a normal thing and a sign of quality ? I think not. A good business would have replaced all bearings, and maybe covered a few costs. Telling the customer you are changing the supplier will also help. Ignoring everything is a sign that you should shop elsewhere.
4 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 07:55 AM   #107
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlbertM View Post
Yeah, removed the dust cap, removed the split pin, unscrewed the single nut and checked the bearings.
You are a special one aren't you, really starting a new league of your own

Show me one person who bought a brand new new trailer for several thousand $$ who did this when they picked it up from the shop??

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-11-2015, 08:24 AM   #108
superyob
Banned

Come on ladies, we're all pretty here...

I do think that XB has a valid complaint provided his information is correct. The unbelievers on this thread however, provide an example of how not to take anybody's claim at face value, something which is a useful tool to have in one's arsenal...
3 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 09:53 AM   #109
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

IMHO the main issue here is not the warranty period, it's Mario Trailers' lack of interest in what could be an impending quality issue, across there entire product range. Even though any stated warranty is well & truly over, they should have taken more interest in your problem, being such low kms.

Maybe they have a handle on it & their current product is OK, or they don't know or care. It could also be that your issue was a one off. I hear a lot of chat on here about the poor finish of their trailers & cheap lights etc. etc. but I don't hear many others with wheel bearing failures on near new Mario trailers.

Dr Terry
Old 28-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #110
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I am using unbranded Chinese bearings at the moment in the course of assembling test mechanisms. I check each prior to assembling and I am finding many feel rough straight out of the packaging. I have been through a nearly 1000 this year. XB GS 351 Coupe is on the money regarding quality of unbranded Chinese product.
Old 28-11-2015, 10:21 AM   #111
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post
IMHO the main issue here is not the warranty period, it's Mario Trailers' lack of interest in what could be an impending quality issue, across there entire product range. Even though any stated warranty is well & truly over, they should have taken more interest in your problem, being such low kms.

Maybe they have a handle on it & their current product is OK, or they don't know or care. It could also be that your issue was a one off. I hear a lot of chat on here about the poor finish of their trailers & cheap lights etc. etc. but I don't hear many others with wheel bearing failures on near new Mario trailers.

Dr Terry
Yup, lots of "what ifs" and unknowns in this thread. It is worthy of discussion and in some cases discussing the vendor. An example of this is the thread about ball joints being sold in NZ that are not fit for purpose.

There are a lot of people here making fun of over maintenance of trailers and how it shouldn't be needed. When I bought a new horse float that cost 3 times the price of this trailer (and it was the basic model). The manufacturer spent 30 minutes drilling me on the maintenance of the float and servicing required. He stressed on the need for annual servicing and expressed a desire for them to do it.

I had a similar discussion with the manufacturer of my box trailer about the maintenance required, even down to rust proofing it.

If I were the OP I'd be pretty cranky about the failure but I'd also be big enough to acknowledge that I also had to accept some responsibility. We all seem to be slagging this guy off now for the quality of his product and the OP was aware off issues with it. Why did he buy a budget trailer... and it is for that price.. When other issues came up with it why did he think the most important stuff would be ok.

If this thread were a warning about the dangers of using cheap components then I would be the first to agree.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:25 PM   #112
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

Dr Terry
Give this man a medal

Hit the nail on the head, and comprehended the point of the whole thread.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-11-2015, 12:33 PM   #113
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam66 View Post

This...
Old 28-11-2015, 12:37 PM   #114
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You are a special one aren't you, really starting a new league of your own

Show me one person who bought a brand new new trailer for several thousand $$ who did this when they picked it up from the shop??
Smart people do as incorrectly adjusted bearings are the norm. I deal with the equine community and always get new float bearings checked ASAP. Don't farkin whinge when it goes pear shaped due to your ignorance/laziness!
Old 28-11-2015, 12:44 PM   #115
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At the end of the day the trailer runs the same wheel bearings as cars and should virtually last for ever, I today spoke to the fleet mechanic that services our fleet cars (picked work car up from service this morning).

I quizzed him on expected bearing life in a trailer, his response was that the bearing should last the life of the trailer, he recommended repacking the bearing at between 20,000km and 50,000km depending on usage. More often if trailer is used in harsh conditions or in boat trailers.

He suggested jacking the wheel off the ground at least every 12 month to check for play on a locally used trailer to run rubbish to the tip once or twice a month, again more often if the trailer is used often and on long trips. He suggested his current shop trailer has done well over 50,000km and still runs the original bearings.

He also does not use Chinese non branded bearings in his workshop.

This reflects my personal experience with my trailer that I have owned and mantained myself for the last 18 years, Still running the original bearings, I am trying to remember but I would think they have been repacked 3-4 times in that time. Said trailer completed 2000km last week, heavily loaded without an issue, and did a recent camping trip involving hundreds of Km's of dirt roads and of around 6000km all up also loaded with lots of gear.

Trailer does many thousands of km's a year without issue, I did rewire it with LED lights and new wiring a few years ago as the bulbs kept blowing on long trips especially on dirt.

There is no way in the world that a wheel departing after 3000km of light use on a brand new trailer is acceptable by any standard or stretch of the imagination, or that I should need to pull the bearings out before taking delivery to check quality, I would assume as would any other reasonable person that a trailer is build fit for purpose. Those suggesting it is a cheap trailer, well I don't think it was cheap costing the best part of $5000. and by the way more expensive trailers run the same style wheel bearings.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 28-11-2015 at 12:51 PM.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:48 PM   #116
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Smart people do as incorrectly adjusted bearings are the norm. I deal with the equine community and always get new float bearings checked ASAP. Don't farkin whinge when it goes pear shaped due to your ignorance/laziness!
Man you are special, I bought a brand new trailer, not a second hand one, a brand new trailer is supposed to be able to be used as a brand new trailer. Do you also strip the engine down on a brand new car you buy to check tolerances??

If I bought a 10 year old trailer of unknow history then it is up to me to ensure safety, buying a brand new car/trailer/washing machine/tv, etc you would expect it to work.

By smart peopel who are you referring to?? Doctors, lawyers, peopel holding university degrees??

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 28-11-2015, 12:51 PM   #117
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Man you are special, I bought a brand new trailer, not a second hand one, a brand new trailer is supposed to be able to be used as a brand new trailer. Do you also strip the engine down on a brand new car you buy to check tolerances??

If I bought a 10 year old trailer of unknow history then it is up to me to ensure safety, buying a brand new car/trailer/washing machine/tv, etc you would expect it to work.

By smart peopel who are you referring to?? Doctors, lawyers, peopel holding university degrees??
Smart = anybody but you....
Old 28-11-2015, 12:54 PM   #118
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Smart = anybody but you....
So when have you net me?? I am willing to bet that I am smarter than you, how much are you willing to lose, now it's time to put up or shut up??

Lets compare university entry exam results, great test of general intelligence and problem sovling ability.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Last edited by XB GS 351 Coupe; 28-11-2015 at 01:03 PM.
Old 28-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #119
Stefan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strange thread...expensive trailers run the same bearing, but none are loosing wheels??

Gal trailer from marios is 3800, others start at 5000. Looks like marios is the cheapest trailer by a long way.

I bet if someone bought a procomp crank and lunched an engine everyone on the forum would be saying " what did you expect"

I agree trailer should last longer but the fact is its the cheapest one and out of warranty....you get what you pay for. At that price you should have checked the bearing especially of you a carrying cars.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #120
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
So when have you net me?? I am willing to bet that I am smarter than you, how much are you willing to lose, now it's time to put up or shut up??
At 23 I was commanding earth orbiting NASA satellites and lunar experimentation packages (ALSEP). You were???
Closed Thread