Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 06:39 PM   #91
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
Bugger, I sold my old ute and couldnt flash it back to stock because of the engine work carried out. Does this mean my flash tuner is basically useless for good now?
sorry to say but nothing has changed with your situation, it would have been useless last thursday before any of this started. It has always been stated that to unlock a box , first the standard tune must have been returned to the original car.

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 03-02-2009, 06:46 PM   #92
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratter
sorry to say but nothing has changed with your situation, it would have been useless last thursday before any of this started. It has always been stated that to unlock a box , first the standard tune must have been returned to the original car.
Thats fair enough and I dont hold any sour grapes to anybody because of it, I just wasn't sure in the first place. At least I know now.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #93
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Thats fair enough and I dont hold any sour grapes to anybody because of it, I just wasn't sure in the first place. At least I know now.
It would retain some value for the owner of your ute. See what he will offer.
Old 03-02-2009, 07:01 PM   #94
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Bugger, I sold my old ute and couldnt flash it back to stock because of the engine work carried out. Does this mean my flash tuner is basically useless for good now?

Tough but fair, Although SOME people WERE unlocking boxes that were locked to a tuned car, it was NEVER LEGAL. Your best bet is to sell it to your old utes new owner for cheap!

Good result overall. Well done to all involved.

(wish it never happened in the first place mind you)
Old 03-02-2009, 08:05 PM   #95
WiggyMK2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Great outcome for customers and tune shops alike. Cheers to herrod and other tuners for sticking up for the customers.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:12 PM   #96
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVS Super Pursuit
My understanding is if you had a legetimate reason to have your box unlocked it could (and still can) be done without breaking any laws or arrangements.

I believe that was true if your car had been stolen or written off and you had police/insurance reports to back it up.
This is probably where the problem started, I assume SCT gave the local distributor the ability to do this service, rather than the box back to the states to be done. I guess once this ability was given out, it got abused.

I would be surprised if SCT gave the new distributor this ability, may be htye can confirm

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 03-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #97
bloggs24
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herrod Motorsport
Questions Answered!

As outlined in the previous post, if you CURRENTLY own and use an XCal1 unit then you are fine and have nothing to be concerned about. Nothing has changed for you at all, you have lost nothing... As long as your unit has already been tuned to your car, you are fine. We are supporting currently tuned XCal1 units.

The team @ Herrod Motorsport & SCT
Thanks for the clarification, im guessing when you say "tuned" you mean vin-locked?

I dont get everyones problems with us trying to clarfiy some of the wording being used, you guys presume things and if its wrong, its us who took your word for it who loses, Myself and others would prefer to be answered by herrod or SCT, not you.
Old 03-02-2009, 08:20 PM   #98
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

My god people are still whipping this poor dead horse.

It is over, deal with it and move on. Even in a good situation some here still manage to complain. My second post in this thread (post 5) I will still stand behind.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
Old 03-02-2009, 08:52 PM   #99
mr302xd
Formerly MR BAXR6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell

It is over, deal with it and move on. Even in a good situation some here still manage to complain. My second post in this thread (post 5) I will still stand behind.
I agree! Its a great outcome! Im stoked! Read the news and move on!

Frank

Fords ive owned-
2010 FG XR6 5 speed auto in Mystic
81 XD S-Pac 302c 4sp manual
78 Yellow TE Cortina Wagon 4.1L
92 Green EB Fairmont GT replica
01 Black AU XR8 II Manual
04 Rapid BAII XR6T 220rwkw
04 Mandarin BA XR6T 247rwkw
07 BF II XR6T 385rwkw
1980 ZJ Fairlane 302c
Old 03-02-2009, 09:11 PM   #100
phillyc
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always factual and beneficial. 

Well done to those who contributed to this sensible outcome!

I am sure that the 'feedback' provided to SCT helped, but most importantly from Herrods who from evidence so far, managed a difficult situation skillfully.

Thanks

Phil

PS My X1 tuner / flashbox provider was KPM (Site sponsor), so will prompt them to contact Herrods!

Boss349 built. Not yet run. Waiting on a shell.

Retrotech thread
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1363569&page=6
Old 03-02-2009, 09:52 PM   #101
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
A car so modified it cannot run on a factory tune should have the box sold with it as a package, because as you now know you can only use your box on another car when the first one has it's stock tune returned. That's how the system has worked since day one.

Have a chat to your buyer, he will need the box if Ford ever decided to reflash his ecu. They would do it too.

Daily: Tornado MY20 GTI

Retired: Venom BA XR8 - build thread
Old 03-02-2009, 09:55 PM   #102
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97liberty
have a think about why u went with SCT in the first place? Why would u change from a great product with great flexibilty, The other products out there are good but are they great?
Let me see now, to answer your question we need to wind the clock back 5 years ago, to a time when there was no other product to flash tune our cars. A lot of us went SCT then due to lack of choice, and others have done it since because it is so well taken up in the country now and the boxes were quite cheap.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM   #103
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by genebaby
A car so modified it cannot run on a factory tune should have the box sold with it as a package, because as you now know you can only use your box on another car when the first one has it's stock tune returned. That's how the system has worked since day one.

Have a chat to your buyer, he will need the box if Ford ever decided to reflash his ecu. They would do it too.
Vic I did offer it to the buyer but he did not want the tuner with my old ute as he has no intention of modifying the tune. Seeing as it is now useless to anybody else though I will likely send it to him anyway.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:01 PM   #104
genebaby
Abuser of Charvels

Good idea, if he ever has a problem with the tune he'll need it and it's locked to his car now anyhow. Maybe explain this to him, he may think he'll never need it, but never say never! :evil3:

Old 03-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #105
CrankR
XR6 Madness

So selling your box to your mate is out?

Hope not....
Custom Tune, Underdrives, Paccie #4490's with 2 1/2 Magnaflow
Old 03-02-2009, 10:26 PM   #106
partie

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankR
So selling your box to your mate is out?

Hope not....
given that the factory tune was returned & it still had lives left on it.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 PM   #107
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

It is pleasing to see that we have achieved an amenable outcome in this situation and thanks to Rob for his efforts in resolving a situation that was created by the greed of a few individuals. There has been a lot of bleating going on in this thread about the events of the last week but the reality is as follows:

1. The initial decision made by SCT was a sound commercial one based on their understanding of what was going on within the Australian market and some bending of the rules by one of the key players in this market.

2. Thanks to the efforts of a couple of individuals this situation has been rectified for the benefit of the Australian based end users and the tuning shops that service them.

3. There have been some recent changes to the structure of the SCT business in Australia that will hopefully avoid a repeat of these circumstances.

It is disappointing that some have chosen to take the stances here that they have but I guess it is generally easier to react first and think later and there are quite likely some lessons we can all learn from these events.

Regards
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 04-02-2009, 03:05 PM   #108
james22
With da Warlords

Quote:

Some people may be. But I on the other hand am still waiting for an answer to my question on page 3 - along with Ego XrT. Like I said I don't want to sound stupid lol, but I need clarification.

My box was bought on Ebay. It was locked when I received it, So I had to send it to CAPA/SCT to be unlocked.

I received it in the mail 3 weeks later. It was ready for use.

I never got around to getting a tune done, so the box is blank and never been vin locked to my car.

Can I still use it?

Herrod's reply said as long as the box had been tuned before it was fine to use? But I am unsure if that applies to me? Because it has never been tuned? Its just blank, after being unlocked

For Sale: Parachute. Only used once, never opened, small stain.

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

XR50T Ute - 300rwkw (give or take depending on the day)
Old 04-02-2009, 03:07 PM   #109
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by james22
Some people may be. But I on the other hand am still waiting for an answer to my question on page 3 - along with Ego XrT. Like I said I don't want to sound stupid lol, but I need clarification.

My box was bought on Ebay. It was locked when I received it, So I had to send it to CAPA/SCT to be unlocked.

I received it in the mail 3 weeks later. It was ready for use.

I never got around to getting a tune done, so the box is blank and never been vin locked to my car.

Can I still use it?

Herrod's reply said as long as the box had been tuned before it was fine to use? But I am unsure if that applies to me? Because it has never been tuned? Its just blank, after being unlocked
From what I have heard YES it will be fine.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:17 PM   #110
james22
With da Warlords

I don't need a invoice / receipt right. Cause that would be a bugger to find 2 years later lol. But it is unlocked now, had to find out the hard way when I drove to sydney to get tuned and it was locked. Waste of a day that one hehe

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 04-02-2009, 03:21 PM   #111
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
I don't need a invoice / receipt right. Cause that would be a bugger to find 2 years later lol. But it is unlocked now, had to find out the hard way when I drove to sydney to get tuned and it was locked. Waste of a day that one hehe
As long as it is unlocked or the last car it was on was returned to the factory tune the XCAL1 is able to have new tunes written to it.

Basically it is back to how it was before the issue came to a head.
Old 04-02-2009, 03:26 PM   #112
james22
With da Warlords

Great. Now all I gotta do is actually get my bum down there and do it. After I change my waterpump, oh and new brakes, and plugs, and leads, and the darn coils, and something else i can't think of at the moment..... bleemin helleth, i don't think it'll ever happen so i don't have much to be worried about lol

Windsor Warlords
AU III XR-8220
300+ rwhp of Manual fun

Old 04-02-2009, 06:14 PM   #113
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Great. Now all I gotta do is actually get my bum down there and do it. After I change my waterpump, oh and new brakes, and plugs, and leads, and the darn coils, and something else i can't think of at the moment..... bleemin helleth, i don't think it'll ever happen so i don't have much to be worried about lol
James, It is funny, but the seller you got your Unit from is part of the problem. So if I was you I would be peeved, but I got an item which others had paid up to $1300 for on the cheap. You providing a market for an item like this has helped jeopardize all the end users who paid a dealer for a unit, paying loyalties to SCT. I hope you get through okay, but won't feel sorry for you if you don't!
Old 05-02-2009, 12:45 PM   #114
Sledgehammer
Banned

Well done Rob for your efforts here fixing this situaton.
Old 05-02-2009, 03:01 PM   #115
Des Flurane

Sadly my tuner here in NZ still hasn't got his burns back to full strength.
So my car is sitting in his shop waiting on a miracle!
Torque Performance if you're reading this thread Rob H.
Also emailed SCT with no reply.
What a mess.
Old 05-02-2009, 06:34 PM   #116
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Des Flurane
Sadly my tuner here in NZ still hasn't got his burns back to full strength.
So my car is sitting in his shop waiting on a miracle!
Torque Performance if you're reading this thread Rob H.
Also emailed SCT with no reply.
What a mess.
I see yours is a BF, is it a mk 1 or 2?

Sad to hear it is not going so well for you.
Old 05-02-2009, 09:46 PM   #117
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
From what I have heard YES it will be fine.
*edited*

Still not 100% sure whether the box can be programmed if it has been flashed back to stock, unlocked and on-sold blank using the current (updated) V3 software.

I believe blank (virgin, unused) XC1 boxes cannot be programmed with generic or custom tunes with the latest Advantage 3 database.

You will need to use the older versions of Advantage software V2.8 or V2.9 to program completely blank, unused, virgin ( whatever you want to call them) XC1 devices.

As long as your dealer/tuner has tuned your XC1 box and carried out the requests from SCT as per their emails you have nothing to worry about.

Anyone in the market for a flash tuning device should look for the new products.

Last edited by Romulus; 05-02-2009 at 09:54 PM. Reason: miss read post.
Old 05-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #118
Des Flurane

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
I see yours is a BF, is it a mk 1 or 2?

Sad to hear it is not going so well for you.
It's a mk1.
Tuner says will get sorted but that's another week without the car.
Drags on the 14th so better be done by then. I need that 11.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:50 PM   #119
XR06T
13.96 @ 101.65

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNM96
James, It is funny, but the seller you got your Unit from is part of the problem. So if I was you I would be peeved, but I got an item which others had paid up to $1300 for on the cheap. You providing a market for an item like this has helped jeopardize all the end users who paid a dealer for a unit, paying loyalties to SCT. I hope you get through okay, but won't feel sorry for you if you don't!
this is a bit much matey, blaming the guy for buying a 2nd hand good that is supposed to have 5 lives. real low act.

James, from my understanding of your situation (your box being locked to another car, with their car still having a tune in it) your xcal1 is useless to you, and nothing can be done. IF the previous owner of the box has sold it with a tune (not the factory tune) in his car, and your tuner could NOT unlock the box, its done. you have just spent $$$ on a paperweight.

You used to be able to send the box to SCT to get this rectified, but now you cannot, they want nothing to do with the xcal1's any more. Feel free to buy a brand spanking xcal3 but!

Some will say that it is your fault, and it kind of is, for not clarifying that the box was able to be unlocked before purchase, but prior to last week it was not a big deal to get this rectified. Hope you enjoy your SCT expierence mate!
Old 06-02-2009, 03:38 PM   #120
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR06T
this is a bit much matey, blaming the guy for buying a 2nd hand good that is supposed to have 5 lives. real low act.

James, from my understanding of your situation (your box being locked to another car, with their car still having a tune in it) your xcal1 is useless to you, and nothing can be done. IF the previous owner of the box has sold it with a tune (not the factory tune) in his car, and your tuner could NOT unlock the box, its done. you have just spent $$$ on a paperweight.

You used to be able to send the box to SCT to get this rectified, but now you cannot, they want nothing to do with the xcal1's any more. Feel free to buy a brand spanking xcal3 but!

Some will say that it is your fault, and it kind of is, for not clarifying that the box was able to be unlocked before purchase, but prior to last week it was not a big deal to get this rectified. Hope you enjoy your SCT expierence mate!
Although it is a difficult pill to swallow and something that you were not really aware of, this whole incident happened because of exactly this situation.

The only thing I can think of is get hold of the person you bought the box off and get them to flash their car back to stock, thereby unlocking the box. You could never load a tune on your car and then on sell the box, not from day one. So by this person doing this they were always selling a defective item, ebay does have some consumer protection mechanisms in place to prevent this, although I am not sure how effective they are. At the end of the day it is going to be a bit of a fight and it is not one that SCT or Herrods are likely to assist with, good luck.