Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 07-10-2012, 03:26 PM   #1261
Mel-D
Starter Motor

Default Re: who amongst us have gone solar

Locked in the 44c per k/w(QLD) last year with 3.5 k/w system. Only pay electrical bills in the winter months now. Best thing we ever did.
Mel-D is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 03:59 PM   #1262
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
And this may be changing in hte near future ... have heard from a few sources now that at least NSW will be changing so that FIT will equal what your energy supplier charges you to purchase from the grid ... so that means $0.28/kwh

Now to get some solid evidence on it.

This looks like it will be a uniform thing for all states as well from my understanding ... Govco is looking to standardise it across the board.
I tend to agree with Mechan1k and other relevant posters on this one. Yes, I'd be miffed if I lose my 52c FIT under the current arrangement - but there was no guarantee that the FIT I'm on would be forever. I got a govco rebate on my solar installation, and I'm more than happy with that.

I think that more people would be encouraged to go solar if the "system" was much more fair to the newcomers considering the tariffs/rebates on offer now. I'm not a tree hugger, but think all should be entitled to a fairer system, regardless of what time they decided to go solar.

I don't understand why in Australia that we have so many different usage/FIT/supply differences. We are a "one" after all.

I'm disgusted with what you folk pay down south - it's just wrong!

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #1263
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I like my $0.59c per kilowatt but would be more than happy to accept "parity"

common sense must prevail at some point in time

just as a matter of "amusement" for those with dual or multiple calculable smart meters

read your daily output from your inverter

read your daily export

deduct inverter output from export and that is what was fed directly into your house regardless of how much you produce

mine sits around 2 kilowatt that goes direct to house......

even though I produced 20 kilowatts yesterday it still only fed 2 kilowatts in to the house

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2012, 06:59 PM   #1264
Winter XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I would have no drama's in paying for a system tomorrow if the tariff was 1:1 in WA but I just cant justify the 0.07c buy back rate.
Winter XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 12:05 AM   #1265
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Basically from talking to my contacts in Vic from all the networks, the Only reason for a high FIT in Vic was to reduce the power load off the power grid in summer. Now this has been done the Govco have reduced the FIT. Basically PFIT was capped at a certain capacity. The cap was worked out on the basis it would stop the brown outs over summer.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 01:17 PM   #1266
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winter XR8
I would have no drama's in paying for a system tomorrow if the tariff was 1:1 in WA but I just cant justify the 0.07c buy back rate.
The buyback rate in WA is based on the actual wholesale rate of electricity i.e. what the power stations are charging the electricity retailers; when you pay your kWh rate the charge is not just the cost of generation, there are admin fees, grid maintenance fees etc. The actual 7c per kWh is the actual cost of generation hence they see that as the minimum that can be paid. It is unfair for customer yes, but that is the reason it is there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
ok, just changing the subject slightly for a moment.

can panels be 'mixed and matched'?

i have the capacity to add 6 panels if i want to. i realise this is rarely done due to the price of the actual panels when sold separately.

disregarding price, if i did decide to add more, do i have to add more of the same type/brand/output etc? i have 190w panels currently. could i add 4 x 250, or 5 x 200 instead, or do i have to stick with 190w?

also, can brands be mixed and matched? or do i have to buy the same brand?

these are issues that i will likely never have to worry about but i'd just like to know all the same.

cheers
Mixing and matching panels is never a good idea! Panels do not only have a wattage but panels of the same wattage will almost always have different voltages and amperages. You can have 2 panels both of 200W each, but if one panel has a lesser voltage it will compromise the performance of the rest of the panels in the string. Your salesperson should have told you this.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:24 PM   #1267
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I know I rant and rave about Trina Solar on here a lot but the brand with their range of panels really are robust and looking at improving the industry as a whole.

Who wants individual panel monitoring in Australia with 20% higher output? I do!

http://www.trinasolar.com/eu/product...ution%20Series

Also states that TrinaSmart detects arc-faults and disables the source, thus preventing fires. Bear in mind this is a technology literally only a few weeks old so no one here has panels with this capability.

It is a myth that Monocrystalline panels are the most efficient panels available as well, Trina will be releasing a 300W Multicrystalline panel in the very near future with this technology.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:36 PM   #1268
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep!.....I await with baited breath what is to be rolled out "in the future"

I've seen aeroplanes go to space travel....digital watches and calculators come into play, mobile phones and computers

I wonder what my kids/grandkids will see......maybe a little nuclear reactor sitting in the corner somewhere producing endless power

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 09-10-2012, 11:00 PM   #1269
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Solar news today:

More off grid systems are being installed as FiT rates reduce and as the cost of batteries begins to fall:

http://www.energymatters.com.au/inde...rticle_id=3410

Good news for folk like me, because there will soon be specials for add-on battery banks for existing grid connect systems.

Not so good news (actually quite disheartening to me personally), the amount if investment for gen X and gen Y into mining and computers than environmental businesses:

FYI not sure if I ever mentioned in this thread, I'm 20 years old and have been working in solar since 17, most people I went to school with in WA only ever saw as far as working in the mines and making a lot of cash, still to this day say that I'm living a pipedream and saying that I won't be able to make a difference...

Last edited by flappist; 11-10-2012 at 01:32 PM. Reason: leave the politics out
Stagg is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 12:02 AM   #1270
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

I went solar a couple of weeks ago:

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-10-2012, 10:30 AM   #1271
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah you got the kakadu trek.....we had one very similar, a very good unit

we've been independent with our campers and caravans for years......just working on our new van to get her independent

Old 11-10-2012, 11:24 AM   #1272
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

come on guys give it a bloody bone........me and the hundreds of other folks come in here to

(1) get a little peace

(2) to have a yak with like minded folks

(3) maybe gain a little knowledge

if you have an issue with anyone about anything then please take it to PM

I have solar, i drive a big car, .....I also have a large camper and my wife drives another vehicle.....I push solar whenever and wherever I can.....big bloody deal

the reason i went solar is to cut down on my power bill.......the "feel good" factor is secondary

BUT IT IS STILL THERE!!!!

so enough of this ****, ....this only serves to drive people away......get back to being civil......

Old 11-10-2012, 01:10 PM   #1273
Stagg
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
come on guys give it a bloody bone........me and the hundreds of other folks come in here to

(1) get a little peace

(2) to have a yak with like minded folks

(3) maybe gain a little knowledge

if you have an issue with anyone about anything then please take it to PM

I have solar, i drive a big car, .....I also have a large camper and my wife drives another vehicle.....I push solar whenever and wherever I can.....big bloody deal

the reason i went solar is to cut down on my power bill.......the "feel good" factor is secondary

BUT IT IS STILL THERE!!!!

so enough of this ****, ....this only serves to drive people away......get back to being civil......
No worries poppa, how are the panels doing today anyway?
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #1274
prydey
Rob

AGL's rates are now beyond $0.30 which means the FIT (at 25.8c) doesn't quite cover it. d'oh. i get 10% off but still not enough to bring it back to the FIT rate. checked a bill from april this year and rate ranged from 22c-27c. apparently changing to solar means i'm now on different rates

oh well. still better than most states i guess.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #1275
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not real flash mate......storm is on it's way through, ....produced around 15 kilowatts yesterday though but I reckon I can halve that today....production will be down for a while

god knows how much rain we had and we copped the wind as well.....expecting about 10 kilowatts max today

I reckon Prydey would have got this storm yesterday

never mind, everyday we are above ground has got to be a bonus

I just read your post Prydey.....typing the same time as I was...

because we are on solar we automatically pay an extra 5c per kilowatt (from memory dont quote me)

AGL has just been ordered to lower their rates as well haven't they.....something like 8% or so I heard

Old 11-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #1276
prydey
Rob

hailing here again now. had a lot yesterday as well. spring?? yeah right.

not sure on the ins and outs of the rates etc. might have to start taking more of an interest. found out today as i was transferring my gas over to agl to have them both under the same company.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:00 PM   #1277
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The topic of the thread is private solar power not green politics.

Keep it civil and on topic please.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 02:43 PM   #1278
tregs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anyone heard or used these guys ?
http://markaustralia.com.au/
Old 11-10-2012, 02:45 PM   #1279
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
hailing here again now. had a lot yesterday as well. spring?? yeah right.

not sure on the ins and outs of the rates etc. might have to start taking more of an interest. found out today as i was transferring my gas over to agl to have them both under the same company.

I only found out about the price difference when I enquired online about "one big switch"

I tried to get a quote but because I ticked that I had solar it couldn't be done online but had to make a phonecall instead....

it was then I was told about the price difference......I haven't got any paperwork to prove that though and thats why I haven't said anything about it before

I mentioned it to the feller on the phone who works for lumo when I was discussing an alteration to my plan he also backed this up

what mystifies me is that they take with one hand (5c dearer than non solar generators) and give with the other

they raised my "export" payments from $0.54c per kilowatt to $0.59c without telling me

then without notice my "supply" charge shot up

never mind......we copped a bit of snow in the hills last night apparently

Old 11-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #1280
menil
fg pursuit

Put up a 6kw system 2 months ago has made 1500kw total and exported about 1000kw but no credits as meter was only reconfigured or whatever yesterday on a one for one byeback at present
menil is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 03:17 PM   #1281
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

are you getting anything for your previous export.....seems a bit rough that you simply give it away and the provider makes a profit off it

I would be talking with my energy supplier about it and chasing some sort of payment or credit

Old 11-10-2012, 03:46 PM   #1282
davenl5l
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
AGL's rates are now beyond $0.30 which means the FIT (at 25.8c) doesn't quite cover it. d'oh. i get 10% off but still not enough to bring it back to the FIT rate. checked a bill from april this year and rate ranged from 22c-27c. apparently changing to solar means i'm now on different rates

oh well. still better than most states i guess.
how did you get 10%...the mongrels only gave me 5% & i connected just before you typical of my luck!!....lol
Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 PM   #1283
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menil
Put up a 6kw system 2 months ago has made 1500kw total and exported about 1000kw but no credits as meter was only reconfigured or whatever yesterday on a one for one byeback at present
I was in a similar situation when I got the initial install done, was about 6 weeks until I got my new meter installed. I just wore that as I didn't think anything could/would be done about it.

I was just happy with the pleasant surprise I got when I got my first bill.

Poppa and Rob - it's been overcast and raining up here today. I just checked my inverter and it's only generated 1kW. At least our panels are getting a wash!

Cheers!

Old 11-10-2012, 05:19 PM   #1284
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah!...... now on the subject of washing these things how often do you find you have to do it or do you just let the weather do it for you

because mine are on the shed and relatively easy access I'm finding mine need doing about every month to a month and half......it's a pain in the bum

Old 11-10-2012, 05:40 PM   #1285
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you consider the $ value of your time, vss the $ value of the lost production ... is it actually worth doing ?

Quote:
ah!...... now on the subject of washing these things how often do you find you have to do it or do you just let the weather do it for you

because mine are on the shed and relatively easy access I'm finding mine need doing about every month to a month and half......it's a pain in the bum
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:50 PM   #1286
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I tend to think it is.....well, up here anyway.....the dust is pretty bad

only takes me about half an hour in between customers, then we have a yak when one comes around

I use an extendable brush, one that was designed for windows, a hose attaches to it and has a tap on the end

I dont have exact figures of lost production but I guesstimate somewhere around 2 - 5 kilowatts could easily be lost

Old 11-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #1287
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
ah you got the kakadu trek.....we had one very similar, a very good unit

we've been independent with our campers and caravans for years......just working on our new van to get her independent
Yeah, its the Trek 'Kudu', had it a fair while, its got a deep cycle battery, which can be charged from my Ute, a 240V supply or a solar panel. I've now got an electric pump on the water supply which has been enlarged to 130 liters.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 05:57 PM   #1288
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My Brother-In-Law is a window cleaner and has some wealthy rural customers.
I suggested he include cleaning the Solar Arrays in his quotes.
He reckoned it not worth it to his customers.

But of course it is a different story doing your own in available time.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:49 PM   #1289
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hard to say just how much the drop in production is but I notice that there is a definite improvement after cleaning

Old 11-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #1290
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Quote:

I haven't really given washing them much thought. When I return from my afternoon walks I occasionally look at them and they appear "glossy". There is a mob advertising on local radio touting about keeping your solar in tip top condition by having them cleaned every 6 months - but I thought "Meh, they're just trying to cash in".

Maybe you've got a point there Poppa. I'm not real big on cleaning my windows, maybe every 2 years I'll hit them with a brush and soap. Then again, my windows are vertical - a whole lot more crud is gonna stick to my 30 degree panels! I keep a keen eye on what my system generates, we'll see what unfolds over the months ahead.

Anyone not looking at this thread regularly must think we're a whole new kind of obsessive compulsive disorder! LOL!

Cheers!