Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 05-09-2006, 11:43 AM   #121
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw
Please NOTE:

NOTE FROM EDITOR OF DRIVE.COM.AU

I just wanted to give your users a quick update on the SS-V vs XR8 video that is being discussed in this thread.

Toby Hagon
Editor, drive.com.au

Users? Did you post him the link to this thread russelw???
Old 05-09-2006, 01:25 PM   #122
Ghiadude
FORMERLY TX3DUDE

the question now is ... if it wasnt meant to "be online" then what was it meant for???

and how - from now on, are we to trust that their editorials are unbiased??
Ghiadude is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 03:16 PM   #123
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tx3dude
the question now is ... if it wasnt meant to "be online" then what was it meant for???

and how - from now on, are we to trust that their editorials are unbiased??

if i wasnt cynical, id say the video got back to the "drive" office, was looked at, and canned (but somehow got posted online anyway).

but really they posted it because they thought it was good, and now realise it was rubbish and need to come up with an excuse (a poor one, no less).
Old 05-09-2006, 03:32 PM   #124
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Its so badly done and plainly biased id say it was put together as a "spoof" for their christmas party or as an inside joke to rib some mates or something like that... maybe the opposite one exists for the SS too? Sounds like it got into the wrong hands by "accident" ?

Old 05-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #125
bathurst77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

While this so called review was rubbish. it IS fair to do a comparo tween a VE SSV to a BF XR8.
IF i had 50 odd grand to spend on an aussie v8 today and iwanted a new car now, this si the choice i would face. To say yuo shouldnt compare them coz one is new one s old, says you shouldnt buy the xr8 coz its old, its not as good, so dont buy it.

they compare teh two cars coz thats the choice the buyer has right now. yes there is amildly upgraded xr8 in october and yes an all new one in 2007/8 but iwant to buy a car NOW, so iwant them to compare my choices now.

whats wrong with a plastic pan? we have had plastic fuel tanks for 30 years. If its a strong plastic and well protected, no worries. some steel can tear and some plastics can deform safely.
bathurst77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-09-2006, 03:44 PM   #126
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77
While this so called review was rubbish. it IS fair to do a comparo tween a VE SSV to a BF XR8.
IF i had 50 odd grand to spend on an aussie v8 today and iwanted a new car now, this si the choice i would face. To say yuo shouldnt compare them coz one is new one s old, says you shouldnt buy the xr8 coz its old, its not as good, so dont buy it.

they compare teh two cars coz thats the choice the buyer has right now. yes there is amildly upgraded xr8 in october and yes an all new one in 2007/8 but iwant to buy a car NOW, so iwant them to compare my choices now.

whats wrong with a plastic pan? we have had plastic fuel tanks for 30 years. If its a strong plastic and well protected, no worries. some steel can tear and some plastics can deform safely.
Well put it this way, regardless of which car is better i bet there isnt enough of a difference between them in the real world to sway 90% of brand loyal buyers away from their brand preference....

Old 07-09-2006, 10:49 AM   #127
Boss 290

go ford!
Boss 290 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 01:30 PM   #128
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

i went to this link but cant find this vidieo can someone tell me what link to click on?
Old 07-09-2006, 01:36 PM   #129
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

It has been removed from The Age a day or 2 ago ... I don't think there was another link anywhere on the net though.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 02:51 PM   #130
Bucket
XR5 Pilot

Quote:
Originally Posted by bathurst77

I dont think many of us are arguing that...Yes its a fair comparison...its tradition that the SS and the XR8 go up against each other..Its the manner of the way the comparsion is done that is ahem...questionable?
Old 07-09-2006, 02:54 PM   #131
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redrum
Their response which I just received...........

"Thank you for feedback. If you have a specific question we will contact you.
I hope you continue to enjoy watching our content.
Yours sincerely,

Fairfax Digital Productions"

How Lame
I received the exact same email ... word for word ... copy/paste.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-09-2006, 04:55 PM   #132
The Monty
Just slidin'

Hey, I got me one of those emails too.
Old 07-09-2006, 05:55 PM   #133
Tiapan
XF 393 3v CHI heads

anyone able to upload the vid cuz its not on the website anymore
Old 07-09-2006, 05:59 PM   #134
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

personally if they feel threatenend enuff by wot ford could of given them in a run for there money then we should feel flattered for sure
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Grechie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 11:03 AM   #135
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a write up of this video in todays Drive section of the Sydney Morning Herald. It is an SS vs XR8 vs XR6T comparo. The SS wins as the XR8 goes home on a tow truck (do to the rock incident) and the XR6T goes into limp home mode.
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM   #136
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
There is a write up of this video in todays Drive section of the Sydney Morning Herald. It is an SS vs XR8 vs XR6T comparo. The SS wins as the XR8 goes home on a tow truck (do to the rock incident) and the XR6T goes into limp home mode.
In the interests of balanced journalism wouldn't you just hold of any review till you could get 3 healthy cars together and exploit them fully to their limits before going with an article??
Regardless of the outcome nobody reading this current article would be any the wiser about how they truely compare, so its just a waste of news print.

Old 08-09-2006, 12:34 PM   #137
merlin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
In the interests of balanced journalism wouldn't you just hold of any review till you could get 3 healthy cars together and exploit them fully to their limits before going with an article??
Regardless of the outcome nobody reading this current article would be any the wiser about how they truely compare, so its just a waste of news print.
I agree and to update - the XR6T was damaged by "a lump of clay on the road"
1966 Ford Mustang coupe. 347 stroker, PA reverse manual C4, TCE high stall converter, B&M Pro Ratchet, Edelbrock alum heads, Edelbrock intake manifold, MSD ignition, Holley Street HP 750 CFM carb, gilmer drive, wrapped Hooker Super Comp Headers, dual 3" straight through exhaust, Bilstein shocks, custom springs, full poly suspension, American Racing rims, Open Tracker roller spring saddles and shelby drop.

Still to go - Holley Sniper EFI with integrated fuel cell.
merlin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 12:48 PM   #138
ADSXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin
I agree and to update - the XR6T was damaged by "a lump of clay on the road"
and the XR8 was the one that hit a rock on the road.
Old 08-09-2006, 02:14 PM   #139
Fordoldie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADSF6
and the XR8 was the one that hit a rock on the road.
Gotta say that's pretty pathetic journo crap alright! There a very few auto journos that are not crap. Bit like referees
Been and had a good look and drive of SS and SV6. SS is very impressive but biggest shock I got was SV6 - totally different cars all round but SV6 has been given a shot in the **** or something cos it doesnt go or even sound like the old one.
SS sounds good, looks good and drives even better I'm sorry to say
Fordoldie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 03:09 PM   #140
bobski

Who is up for spooning!

http://drive.com.au/Editorial/Articl...pe=2&ImageID=5

Yeah - I dunno about drive. Usually I read a bunch of different sources and make my mind up, but reports seem to be the new commodore is a good car. They look pretty shmick IMO, classy. Ford replies in about 18 months I think? But maybe we might see some power boosts with BF II. God help my resale if they cut the prices :(
bobski is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-09-2006, 06:06 PM   #141
data_mine
GT-P With An Ego
Donating Member2

I was told there'll be no power changes to BF2.

Ford Performance Club of ACT
data_mine is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-09-2006, 10:19 PM   #142
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

Any updates on this farce?
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post