Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #151
Rodge
Banned

Default Re: ??Ford to colse FPV??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnews View Post
Now they need to announce their plans for the final models to give current owners and prospective purchasers firm ground to stand on to make buying decisions. And discounts for three-time FPV buyers :-)
50% off seems like a fair deal to me, no bias whatsoever

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
Sad news but we all knew it was coming. Glad to see the XR8 nameplate return, I never lied the GS nameplate being used. Will be interesting to see what they do with the models next year before they can them.
Will I buy the last GT? Probably not. The RSpec is great and I love it, but its missing so much in todays market that theres no way I will shell out the better part of $100k for another FG2 in 6 months time. The platform is already lacking so much compared to much cheaper cars that it will be stupid to buy the outgoing dated model. To little to late im sorry Ford. I will stick with the Rspec and cross my fingers that Ford dont butcher its memory with a sticker pack (kidding myself really). For those holding their breath I would speculate the last GT will be an Rspec with the Black Concept front bar, 351kw Stickers but its unlikely to actually get a power increase, GTP seats and 6/4 Brembos. It will be what we all thought the Rspec should have been last year. It will still have the same FG interior, stupid starter button and no tech upgrades. When you can now get a Gen F GTS for mid $90k and lower for Ex Demos, Ford are crazy to think they will be able to sell their offering at anything close. Anyone buying at that price has rocks in their heads.
I think you've summed it up correctly. There will be no new parts, they have no real money for that so what we'll probably get is the best of the existing parts bin. Will people buy it...I think so because its the last of breed e.t.c. and Ford are deliberatly playing to the emotional brand attachment that many of us have had.

In some ways you've got to hand it to Ford, they appear to be doing a fine job of extracting everything they can from their remaining fans for a fairly modest initial outlay to buy Prodrive out.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #152
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Default Re: Ford to close FPV?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior View Post
Or the guy trying to flog the R Spec on Carsales right now for $115k
Ah but, it is signed by Mark Winterbottom and Alan Moffat with only 114km on the clock.......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 11:13 AM   #153
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

To me the biggest hint that the XR8 will get the big boy motor is that there won't be an XR8 ute. Unless they are canning the ute completely.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #154
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
To me the biggest hint that the XR8 will get the big boy motor is that there won't be an XR8 ute. Unless they are canning the ute completely.
I don't know much about this but there will be a ute in the FH range. Just the 6 cyl versions.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:19 AM   #155
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

ill be suprised if the 2014 fg II gt is anything more than a new stripe kit & colours....
either way at least now for those who have been holding off for the fh they now know the options before them,
fg II gt or FH xr8

please ford prove me wrong
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 11:38 AM   #156
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Dazz View Post
Well the stupidity has already started.
Current stocks of GT’s are being snapped up, and my Ford dealer has already taken 5 orders for the 2014 model, at $90k a pop.
It's not your money so don't worry. Better to have 5 FPVs go on the road than 5 right hand lane hogging fwd **** box hatches.

About time they upped the power on the xr6t as well.
smoo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #157
Hawkeye84

Wow alot of speculation in this thread and alot of people getting upset over something that was not announced.

Key Messages in Ford's press release are:
1. XR8 is back
2. FPV will no longer exist.

No where in FORD'S press release says that the GT is no more.
The FPV Falcon GT will be no more....doesnt say anything about no more Ford Falcon GT

Of course im speculating myself, but until the i hear PR from Sinead and/or Graeme Whickman that the Ford Falcon GT is dead...then the possibility of a Falcon being badged as a GT is very much alive..

Dont jump to conclusions and believe the drivel that the journalists are trumping with headlines like

"Blue oval brand to resurrect Falcon XR8 but it comes at the expense of the FPV brand and Ford’s most iconic nameplate, the GT"
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 12:11 PM   #158
Whitey-AMG
AWD Assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye84 View Post
Wow alot of speculation in this thread and alot of people getting upset over something that was not announced.

Key Messages in Ford's press release are:
1. XR8 is back
2. FPV will no longer exist.

No where in FORD'S press release says that the GT is no more.
The FPV Falcon GT will be no more....doesnt say anything about no more Ford Falcon GT

Of course im speculating myself, but until the i hear PR from Sinead and/or Graeme Whickman that the Ford Falcon GT is dead...then the possibility of a Falcon being badged as a GT is very much alive..

Dont jump to conclusions and believe the drivel that the journalists are trumping with headlines like

"Blue oval brand to resurrect Falcon XR8 but it comes at the expense of the FPV brand and Ford’s most iconic nameplate, the GT"
A lot of what is discussed is informed speculation. Its easy to see why XR8 is coming back. It is sharing everything with XR6 and whacking in the V8 drivetrain. Minimal outlay.
Presenting a well thought out package for GT with additional outlay for unique interior , wheels , body kit etc , just doesnt seem plausible with what we already know about FOA shutting down local production. How does it make any sense to invest in more low volume models when they are already going down the gurgler. FPV invested heavily in the FG and got shot and slaughtered by the beancounters.

GT will be available in 2015....its just that it will be Mustang GT and not Falcon GT.
Whitey-AMG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM   #159
Hawkeye84

Quote:
Originally Posted by ESP View Post
A lot of what is discussed is informed speculation. Its easy to see why XR8 is coming back. It is sharing everything with XR6 and whacking in the V8 drivetrain. Minimal outlay.
Presenting a well thought out package for GT with additional outlay for unique interior , wheels , body kit etc , just doesnt seem plausible with what we already know about FOA shutting down local production. How does it make any sense to invest in more low volume models when they are already going down the gurgler. FPV invested heavily in the FG and got shot and slaughtered by the beancounters.

GT will be available in 2015....its just that it will be Mustang GT and not Falcon GT.
Yes, it does make sense, very logical.
No doubt there, but for me, Ill believe it, when i see it....From Ford
Hawkeye84 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #160
Pepscobra
Call me dirt... Joe Dirt

No, Ford have not mentioned anything about dropping the GT... But for me, the absence of any mention of the GT speaks louder than words :(
2007 BFII FPV Cobra Ute|Boss 302|6M|#23/100
Mods so far:
Billet Products Shifter|X-Force Exhaust|Herrod Oil Breathers|Whiteline Sway Bar|Tein SuperStreets|Kings FOR-303SL Rear Springs|Melling Oil Pump|Mace Manifold Spacers|Powerbond Underdrives|Pacemaker Headers|Ballistic Cats|XFT Custom Tune @ 308.3rwkw|DBA T3 Rotors|Ferodo Pads|Goodridge Braided Lines
Mods to come:
4.11 Diff Gears|Chromoly Tailshaft
I use & recommend:
Castrol|Motorcraft|Mainlube|Penrite

Check Out My Build Thread
Pepscobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:40 PM   #161
pearlhead

https://www.facebook.com/FordFalcon/...tal_comments=1
Quote:
the last GT will be built in the second half of 2014. We look forward to sharing more information about the final GT models as we move through next year.
pearlhead is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 PM   #162
IXR08

This is sad as last 12 years I have enjoyed FPV and I love their cars, especially the F6.....

The GS now is basically an XR8, although on the positive with reduced choices & maybe lower $$$ we may see more Miami owners, which is a brilliant power train package when combined with a ZF....

Thinking that they likely will have to get emissions approval etc of an NA 5.0 coyote as the mustang will likely come out with that.... So XR8 could be an NA to reduce costs!!!

Last edited by IXR08; 12-11-2013 at 01:49 PM. Reason: cause
IXR08 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #163
timeout

At least someone wrote the book on what not too do.
timeout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #164
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not that long ago the mods on here refused to let people discuss the FPV saga and eventually Prodrive left and Ford took over. Then they moved it back in house to the production line within the factory. Since then Ford have told us they are ceasing all Australian production.
There have been numerous threads with speculation saying none of the above was ever going to happen, but it has , and now the diehards are refusing to believe the GT is gone too but it will be when the FH arrives.
If you want one get it now , anything they offer as a last hurrah will come from the current parts bin, stickers excepted. The XR8 is a fill in and will probably be as popular as the GS is, only price may save it for a while longer.
Ford Australia is all but dead , Long Live Ford.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #165
Quasi
Boss 290 BA GT Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by IXR08 View Post
This is sad as last 12 years I have enjoyed FPV and I love their cars, especially the F6.....

The GS now is basically an XR8, although on the positive with reduced choices & maybe lower $$$ we may see more Miami owners, which is a brilliant power train package when combined with a ZF....
Yeah, my first thought, after reading the release yesterday, was that the XR8 will be pretty much what the GS is now. In fact, it may even be a naturally aspirated 302 Kw, but I suppose we'll find out next model.

Despite what was said yesterday, I really don't expect to see anything too special as a final FPV. Let's be honest, rather than take hold of the opportunity to go out with a bang I think Ford Australia will quietly go out with a whimper, just releasing whatever is needed to use up stock already on hand.

Which, of course, would be a shame. However, decisions are made by bean counters these days, and with Falcon having no future it would be unjustifiable to spend money on a high performance FPV to finish the badge off.
The Toy - 03 BA GT In 'Venom', Silver BF Stripe Kit, Non-Premium Sound, Cloth Trim, Auto, 19" Staggered Vertini, Custom Exhaust, Roof DVD

Member of the FPV & XR Owners Club of ACT

Web Links To Check Out

Shannons Club Garage

Facebook Photo Albums
Quasi is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 03:27 PM   #166
Spammy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If the FPV cars are so damm popular, why do they sell so few of them and why are they closing the brand down?
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 03:36 PM   #167
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
Not that long ago the mods on here refused to let people discuss the FPV saga and eventually Prodrive left and Ford took over. Then they moved it back in house to the production line within the factory. Since then Ford have told us they are ceasing all Australian production.
There have been numerous threads with speculation saying none of the above was ever going to happen, but it has , and now the diehards are refusing to believe the GT is gone too but it will be when the FH arrives.
If you want one get it now , anything they offer as a last hurrah will come from the current parts bin, stickers excepted. The XR8 is a fill in and will probably be as popular as the GS is, only price may save it for a while longer.
Ford Australia is all but dead , Long Live Ford.
GT450
Yes and most of those people have moved to another forum.... Couldn't tell them 18 months ago.
2024.50 Mustang Darkhorse 6M Blue Ember + Appearance pack ETA Jan 25.
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 03:38 PM   #168
comagutsa
Pethy FG XR8 Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by BennyH View Post
Can anyone with certainty explain why the ute wasn't mentioned in the press release? Surely the 8cyl ute won't be discarded? Changes my plans severely if that's the case.
i'm in the same boat as you Benny
looks like i might just to keep an eye out for a wrecked GS and do a motor swap and then i can have a XR8 supercharged ute
was going to buy a FH GS or XR8 ute but looks like that idea is dead
now fitted with Koya Inox R1's, the rears are 20x10 with a 40mm offset and the fronts are 20x8.5 with a 35mm offset

total of 285.5 rwkw and 642nm
when Herrod cams in 290rwkw

GSXR 750K7 with goodies, dyno'd 136rwhp,
10.567sec for the strip
comagutsa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 04:23 PM   #169
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Ah but, it is signed by Mark Winterbottom and Alan Moffat with only 114km on the clock.......
WHAT REALLY?? Mark Winterbottom and Alan Moffat? I'll pay 1 fidy for that then. Are these people really that full of it. Never really understood signature's on car.
Gadgetman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 04:42 PM   #170
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchor View Post
You guys will have to wait for media release in 40 minutes. Or find a dealer who will leak some info.... Lol.
good luck on the dealership front they have no idea what is going on in Townville at Carmichael Ford went in there to find out info and he told me that there won't be an XR8 in the next model and offered me a Ranger after I specifically told him I wanted a v8 Falcon
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 04:46 PM   #171
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hoping they will just put the ford badge back on to replace the FPV one... but who knows lets just hope!!!! would be nice to ee the last falcon be a FALCON GT but car company's don't think like that :/

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
jakkes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 04:56 PM   #172
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeout View Post
At least someone wrote the book on what not too do.
Yup I think ford are becoming experts at sugarcoating bad news with insipid attempts at good news such as " We will be reintroducing XR8" an icon that people have been screaming out for. Its that pathetic, its borderline funny
3 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 04:57 PM   #173
TC200six
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it's a shame it's come to this, but we knew it will come to an end anyway, with the departure of the Falcon.
TC200six is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #174
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadgetman View Post
WHAT REALLY?? Mark Winterbottom and Alan Moffat? I'll pay 1 fidy for that then. Are these people really that full of it. Never really understood signature's on car.
It gets better.......

Quote:
Only 350 were produced before FPV closed its doors in December 2012, making this one an instant collector’s item. Only 75 are Black and this one comes complete with a photo taken outside FPV’s Campbellfield factory.
http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d.../?Cr=0&sdmvc=1

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-11-2013, 05:08 PM   #175
HEMI POWER
N/A BOSS 390+

It's either bring out another poor attempt of an Icon the GT or bring out an awesome example of an XR8.I know which way I would steer towards if I was Ford.Would love to see the XR8 Sprint badge return,this would be a awesome package and if priced well will be a good way to say goodbye.
ALL AUSSIE MUSCLE
HEMI POWER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #176
dimka100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well Ford has clearly got no more money left for any further development of the V8 engine, neither do they see any value in further investment into a model about to be axed in 3 years. Realistically the XR8 can only be the current GT/GS mechanicals dressed in FH clothing - no budget left for any further V8 development work and engine changes are expensive (e.g. emissions testing ets ..)

As for the Last GT, well its clearly just going to be another R-Spec with GTP kit (better seats and 6 pot brembos), FPV/Ford simply don’t have any other factory kit left to put on the car … personally can’t see it selling in any significant numbers considering how poorly the R-spec was selling, however maybe the nostalgia of some people will lift up their sales to not be a total embarrassment.

Myself personally I’m waiting to see what the FH XR6Turbo brings, and I really hope it’s not just the F6 motor dressed in FH clothing … I don’t want a laggier and less fuel efficient motor. I’m really hoping it’s an improved version of the current I6 motor with some innovations and design efficiencies gained through R&D and further testing.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:35 PM   #177
Rodge
Banned

Quite possible there could be an R Spec F6 too.
Rodge is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-11-2013, 05:47 PM   #178
Gadgetman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Lets have a look at their history vs sales performance.
(1) Tickford sold plenty back when Ford were killing it in the marketplace. Ford had aggressive marketing campaigns back then and introduced a V8 killing car called the XR6. Shows their team then were in touch with what the public wanted and delivered in spades.
(2) Enter FTE (Ford TIckford Experience)
This is when it all started going pear shaped. Ford went conservative with this idea that they could deliver a premium product (albeit based on an AU Falcon which styling was critised, and a Ford Cougar which lacked grunt but looked sporty enough for the hairdressers of the world) It took FTE not 1 but 3 shots and 3 years to realise that you cant be conservative in the high perforance market to make it. Then ala series 3, more power, big wings and guess what, they sold them.
(3) Then came a new pres (Geoff Polities) changed the joint demanded the GT be reinstated and wanted to not just have 5 or 10 kw more than HSV but blew them away. I remember the XT 6 cyl falcon at 182kw forcing HSV to discontinue the XU6!
(4) Geoff leaves and then comes a procession of presidents on short term holidays who did great things like stopping the territory diesel program etc. Oh and then there was also a president that publicly announced the shutdown of the geelong engine plant, introducing an imported V6 for falcon and building the focus here as well. Less than 6 months later, a backflip and no Focus and lets keep the engine plant going. Sounds like there is no direction at all! Anyway looks like we all know what came after this. Its called a disaster. Yup dollar value, labour costs and low import tariffs are to be blame but just as disappointing to Ford fans is how inept the Marketing dept at Ford have proven to be. If they were an AFL Club, the commission would charge them for bringing the game into disrepute
Old 12-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #179
XBv8mmm!

Sad to see FPV going, though it has been on the cards since they went "in house".

Still, I'm stoked that the XR8 is back and I will be going to get one next year. It will be with me for a long time to come (I couldn't convince the leader of the opposition to let me spend 50K plus again).

If it comes out with the SC335, you beauty. If its the 315 that's ok too.
Hoping it has better brakes that the GS.

When all's said and done at least there will be a V8 Falcon to finish the model. And they didn't say there would be no GT after FPV closes.

Long live the V8 Falcon.
Old 12-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #180
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Bit of a porky there by the seller; 175 sedans were Black/Red.

Honestly, I took mine for its weekly drive at the weekend, and I don't know how I could part with it. It's such a sweet driving machine. I know it doesn't have all the tech of the HSV's and SRT8's but for what it is it doesn't really need it.