Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What's more dangerous 10km over or 10km under?
10kms over is more dangerous 62 29.25%
10kms under is more dangerous 150 70.75%
Voters: 212. You may not vote on this poll

Old 30-12-2008, 08:54 AM   #151
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Not that it is 'safer' per se, just that it isn't necessarily 'unsafe' to do so, particularly in relation to high-standard roads outside built-up areas. Of course the physics change with increased movement, and that entails greater responsibility on part of the driver.

NB; NSW has speed 'as a factor' in around 42% of all fatal crashes, whilst not being necessarily the 'initiating factor' of a crash, such might be fog, inattention et al, or a combination of such. We continue to say 80% of crashes occure below the speed-limit, and that 0.01% of licenced P plate holders will die in a crash.

I do expect a reduction in 110km/h zones in NSW where applied to rural two-lane highways, and a reduction in the rural default maximum.
Agree 100%, ive never said its "unsafe" just not "safer"... again though, its very dependant of driving conditions as you've outlined.
Very compelling stat too that speed was a factor in 42% of NSW fatals, that stat seems consistent with the message that ambo's and police seem to say as well....

Old 30-12-2008, 11:02 AM   #152
xbgs351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Such a simplistic question deserves a simplistic answer - It depends on the circumstances.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #153
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its time to close the thread, we've gone around in a few circles and keep coming to the same conclusions except from different people, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 11:57 AM   #154
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daymoe
I think its time to close the thread, we've gone around in a few circles and keep coming to the same conclusions except from different people, lol.
I've been waiting a few days for it to close. I think the mods are on holidays.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 12:11 PM   #155
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

One thing that has been missed in this thread is the original question does not mention the open road at all, just a general which is safer, in all conditions.

Many of those that believe 10 over is safer as it reduces road rage, crazy passing, fatigue and loss of valuable life time, all discuss open roads and highways.

The simple fact is the vast majority of Australians are city dwellers, drive on city and suburban streets and do not spend as much time on 80-100kmh zones as they do 50-60kmh zones.

My previous response considers all driving, both highway and suburban. Yes the difference may be small on the highways but in the suburbs the difference is huge.

Consider this, in a suburban 60 zone with driveways, side streets, kids, dogs, cyclists, pedestrians and other motorists that are too busy doing other things rather than drive their car. 10km/h under in this situation will allow more time to see a hazard, react to it and provide a shorter braking distance. At the speed limit these reactions times decrease and braking distances increase. Add 10km/h and they get worse again, simple! That is fact and you will not find any credible motoring body, driving instructor or safety council that will dispute that.

It is due to this situation that I will often drive an ambulance under lights and sirens under the speed limit, if the conditions do not allow exceeding the limit. In the ambulance I have a loud siren with multiple tones, red/blue strobes and candy striping all over it, just to make it safe to exceed the limit in "most" situations. I have not seen one private vehicle equipped like that.

While I agree that 10km/h over the limit in some situations is not a death wish. I am not convinced it is always safe, there are some circumstances when the speed limit is not safe. I also refuse to believe the person doing 10 under is responsible for causing dangerous situations because some moron has to get past and does crazy things to do so. That responsibility falls on the moron and the simple fact is that they would still do crazy things if the other person was on the speed limit.

In summary, remove the idiot racing driver that passes and the road rage rock ape, as it is their action that caused the unsafe situation, not the guy doing 90 in a 100 zone. The question only states which is safer of the 2 speeds, nothing more, in all environments (as it does not specify highway). There is no way on this earth anyone can justify 20km/h extra speed being safer. The simple fact is for every increase in speed, the braking distance increases x4, not to mention decreased reaction time and other factors.

If you do not believe me, read this article

here

and then debate it with science, logic and sound reason rather than opinion. Just remember, no motorist abiding by the road laws is accountable for those that don't.
Old 30-12-2008, 01:05 PM   #156
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
NB; NSW has speed 'as a factor' in around 42% of all fatal crashes
Speed is rated a factor any time they judge that you could have avoided the crash had you been going slower. They then parade this stat to quite clearly imply *speeding* (ie. exceeding the limit) is a factor in 42% of fatal crashes - not nearly the same thing.

If the RTA were a private company, they'd have long ago been prosecuted for misleading advertising.

Quote:
I do expect a reduction in 110km/h zones in NSW where applied to rural two-lane highways, and a reduction in the rural default maximum.
Seeing as I drive Syd>Ade>Syd at least once per year, if the Sturt limit is lowered and enforced, I'll start taking the plane. 100 is simply too slow over that road and guaranteed to send some drivers to sleep.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #157
DoreSlamR
Fiat POWAAH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by geckoGT
One thing that has been missed in this thread is the original question does not mention the open road at all, just a general which is safer, in all conditions.

Many of those that believe 10 over is safer as it reduces road rage, crazy passing, fatigue and loss of valuable life time, all discuss open roads and highways.

The simple fact is the vast majority of Australians are city dwellers, drive on city and suburban streets and do not spend as much time on 80-100kmh zones as they do 50-60kmh zones.

My previous response considers all driving, both highway and suburban. Yes the difference may be small on the highways but in the suburbs the difference is huge.

Consider this, in a suburban 60 zone with driveways, side streets, kids, dogs, cyclists, pedestrians and other motorists that are too busy doing other things rather than drive their car. 10km/h under in this situation will allow more time to see a hazard, react to it and provide a shorter braking distance. At the speed limit these reactions times decrease and braking distances increase. Add 10km/h and they get worse again, simple! That is fact and you will not find any credible motoring body, driving instructor or safety council that will dispute that.

It is due to this situation that I will often drive an ambulance under lights and sirens under the speed limit, if the conditions do not allow exceeding the limit. In the ambulance I have a loud siren with multiple tones, red/blue strobes and candy striping all over it, just to make it safe to exceed the limit in "most" situations. I have not seen one private vehicle equipped like that.

While I agree that 10km/h over the limit in some situations is not a death wish. I am not convinced it is always safe, there are some circumstances when the speed limit is not safe. I also refuse to believe the person doing 10 under is responsible for causing dangerous situations because some moron has to get past and does crazy things to do so. That responsibility falls on the moron and the simple fact is that they would still do crazy things if the other person was on the speed limit.

In summary, remove the idiot racing driver that passes and the road rage rock ape, as it is their action that caused the unsafe situation, not the guy doing 90 in a 100 zone. The question only states which is safer of the 2 speeds, nothing more, in all environments (as it does not specify highway). There is no way on this earth anyone can justify 20km/h extra speed being safer. The simple fact is for every increase in speed, the braking distance increases x4, not to mention decreased reaction time and other factors.

If you do not believe me, read this article

here

and then debate it with science, logic and sound reason rather than opinion. Just remember, no motorist abiding by the road laws is accountable for those that don't.

Some good points Gecko, for the record I later added a scenario, admittedly I probably should have put it in the first post but the time to edit had long run out.

Anyway, here's the scenario:

Quote:
Ok, I'll add some conditions similar to what I experienced yesterday.

I had to drive the same stretch of road 7 times, so 14 trips up and back in a 3 tonne Isuzu truck loaded to its capacity one way, empty the other. The truck could do the posted speed limit which was 90km/h with no problems (besides being slow getting there).

The conditions are clear, the sun is high in the sky the stretch of road is single lane which has a distance of about 20km.

There aren't many overtaking opportunities due to having consistent traffic in both directions and several long sweeping corners.

So, out of my 14 trips I counted 11 instances where I had to slow down because someone couldn't manage the speed limit for whatever reason.

The cars going slow were all less than 10 years old except 1, which was an older, larger truck. We can let that one off I guess.

So now that we have some sort of an idea of conditions.

In this specific case, does going slower make it safer?
Old 30-12-2008, 04:08 PM   #158
Daymoe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

On the topic of speed:

Quote:
Speed-limiting devices should be fitted to cars on a voluntary basis to help save lives and cut carbon emissions, according to a new report.

The government's transport advisers claim the technology would cut road accidents with injuries by 29%.

The device automatically slows a car down to within the limit for the road on which it is being driven.

Ministers are planning to help councils draw up digital maps with details of the legal speed on every road.

The system uses satellite positioning to check its location and when the speed exceeds the limit, power is reduced and the brakes are applied if necessary.

It has been well-trialled, and the Commission for Integrated Transport and the Motorists' Forum, which both advise the government, are calling on ministers to promote a wide introduction of the system.

The advisers believe it should be voluntary but say drivers who have tried it, liked not having to worry about exceeding the limit.

However, the BBC's transport correspondent Tom Symonds said the report is likely to be rejected by some motoring groups which believe the government overestimates the importance of speed in causing accidents.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/7803997.stm
Quote:
Originally Posted by sourbastard
ive got the weight gain bit mastered, Colonel Sanders is my personal trainer.

As to weight loss, nah, im a fat bastard and proud of it, im going to die from a massive heart attack, for theres nothing worse then lying around in hospital dying from nothing.
Daymoe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 06:08 PM   #159
Bobman
Regulator

When will it end though?

Let's ban junk food, cigarettes and alcohol too.

They contribute to more deaths then any road-toll ever will or has.

Current Cars:
2000 AU2 Fairmont (2019-current)
2003 BA1 Falcon Divvy Van (2017-current)
2009 VW Mk6 Golf 118TSi (2020-current)
Previous Cars:
2003 MCX10R Avalon VXi (2017-2020)
1995 EF1 Falcon GLi (2016-2019)
1997 XH2 Falcon Van OPT20 (2016-2019)
2006 BF Fairlane Ghia (2013-2018)
2001 AU3 Futura (2010-2013)
1996 EL Fairmont (2008-2010)
2004 BA XR6 (2005-2008)
2001 AU2 Forte (2005-2006)
1988 EA Fairmont Ghia (2003-2005)
1984 AR Telstar TX5 Ghia (2001-2005)
Bobman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 06:19 PM   #160
gtxb67
moderator ford coupe club

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoreSlamR
Anyway, here's the scenario:
if the person going slower doesn't feel comfortable going quicker, then it is safer
if the said vehicle is involved in an accident, then it is safer

although frustrating, it is up to everyone to drive to the conditions. rain, fog, unsealed surface, cars going slower in front - it is all relevant. the driver has to drive to suit what ever the hazard in their area is

as many have suggested - within reason, alertness and also competance is much more important than speed
i would much rather everyone drive 10 kph over the limit, providing they were aware of all the surroundings - either in front, to the side or behind, than someone driving 10 kph slower and not being aware
the powers that be are more interested in telling us to go slower incase of an impact, than trying to educate us into avoiding the accident in the first place. surprisingly enough - no impact, no road trauma
gtxb67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 06:26 PM   #161
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67
if the person going slower doesn't feel comfortable going quicker, then it is safer

although frustrating, it is up to everyone to drive to the conditions. rain, fog, unsealed surface, cars going slower in front - it is all relevant. the driver has to drive to suit what ever the hazard in their area is

as many have suggested - within reason, alertness and also competance is much more important than speed
i would much rather everyone drive 10 kph over the limit, providing they were aware of all the surroundings - either in front, to the side or behind, than someone driving 10 kph slower and not being aware
the powers that be are more interested in telling us to go slower incase of an impact, than trying to educate us into avoiding the accident in the first place. surprisingly enough - no impact, no road trauma
That is all true, i think though the powers have given up on the idea that some morons can be educated to think for themselves and drive safely, so unfortunately the lowest common denominator dictates the rules, so they legislate to protect us from them, and them from themselves....

Old 30-12-2008, 06:34 PM   #162
geckoGT
Ich bin ein auslander

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always level headed and i notice him being the voice of reason when a thread may be getting heated 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtxb67

Very good points there.

4V Man, all too true!
Old 30-12-2008, 09:09 PM   #163
vanman_75
XD Sundowner

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
That is all true, i think though the powers have given up on the idea that some morons can be educated to think for themselves and drive safely, so unfortunately the lowest common denominator dictates the rules, so they legislate to protect us from them, and them from themselves....
too tru ,as the only real safe speed is at the point where any two vehicles can collide, and noone gets hurt. anything above that is meant to be a safe (as can possibly be achieved be) ,also allowing for a reasonable traveling speed to suit the masses .the whole road system needs a major rethink if there is too much more growth.with the traffic is your safest ,pity mosttimes its wrong
Old 30-12-2008, 09:15 PM   #164
dreadly
Banned

Hey guys what do i do?? I got booked today 88kms in an 80kms zone...
Was an unmarked grey commodore right up my ***, i couldnt tell so though get ^%$*ed queue jumpers dropped it down a gear and took off.. and then as soon as i did knight rider like lights on the dash and grill of the commy, and they said i was doing 88 in an 80km zone... did the checks, and wrote me up and under 15km? ticket $81 and 6 points i gather due to double demerits.
I travel this road daily... i live in a beach town, we dont even have a resident cop. Pop 1600. But in the holidays that swells to like 3k at least and we get the cops out doing laps and perving on the tourist girls... Ive seen 6 today.
Surely a local could be let off 8kms?! with a warning. Highway patrol should stick to the ^%&*(ing highways.
Can an unmarked highway patrol allowed to even be 25kms off the highway??
Now ive got 2 points left for my ute. and 6 for my bike :(...... surely theres a junkie or a terrorist that needs their attention. rather than this blaitent revenue raising!!! I say fix the roads and increase the speed limits!
dreadly is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 09:52 AM   #165
shane3
FPV GT 0915

LOL, speed limits are just a guide, you have to look at every situation and judge it for your self, some people are good drivers some aren't.

A good mate of mine is a Doctor (Obstratrition and Gynecologist) but can't judge distances (length or width of his own car) or speed to save himself, but give him a women in a distressed labor and he is a miracle worker.

And this debate will go on forever as there is no rite answer.
Bluprint BA GT 2004 Model - Mods: Tinted Windows, Premium Sound, BBS Mags, 245/35R19 fronts, 285/30R19 rears, BMC POD Filter, SS cold air induction, HM tri-y headers, Redback cat back system, Herrod power snorkle, moded Herrod helix spacer, 4" ram air induction, More to come..
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 02:19 PM   #166
ltd_on20s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreadly
Hey guys what do i do?? I got booked today 88kms in an 80kms zone...
Was an unmarked grey commodore right up my ***, i couldnt tell so though get ^%$*ed queue jumpers dropped it down a gear and took off.. and then as soon as i did knight rider like lights on the dash and grill of the commy, and they said i was doing 88 in an 80km zone... did the checks, and wrote me up and under 15km? ticket $81 and 6 points i gather due to double demerits.
I travel this road daily... i live in a beach town, we dont even have a resident cop. Pop 1600. But in the holidays that swells to like 3k at least and we get the cops out doing laps and perving on the tourist girls... Ive seen 6 today.
Surely a local could be let off 8kms?! with a warning. Highway patrol should stick to the ^%&*(ing highways.
Can an unmarked highway patrol allowed to even be 25kms off the highway??
Now ive got 2 points left for my ute. and 6 for my bike :(...... surely theres a junkie or a terrorist that needs their attention. rather than this blaitent revenue raising!!! I say fix the roads and increase the speed limits!
you broke the law. he was a hard ***, you got done. cop the fine

incedentally seeing he was booking you anyways did you ask him to write up a ticket for himself for tailgating you and causing you to accellerate as you thought he was going to hit you? im sure you could ask for the footage....
ltd_on20s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 07:30 PM   #167
DBL15
love being blown

simply fact is what ever speed your doing someone will want to over take you and normally do even if your doing 120 or more in a 110 zone its simple there will all ways be someone that will pass you

as for me if i am just cruising on a 6 or 8 lane M1 alot of times i am in the inside lane cruising at 100km/h but i will admit once it goes back to two lanes only each way i up my speed to the limit if i need to.

little cars and a tyre blow out at 120 then good help the driver and any one else around because you would more then likely be taken out by them as well if your close enough

as i said i don't mind 10 under and i will continue to do it note only in 110km zones only for my case

as for whats more dangerous just start your car and go for a drive it doesn't matter what speed your doing its normally the others on the roads that we have trouble with : : :
DBL15 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 08:28 PM   #168
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Vman
I find it frightening the amount of "Intolerance" allot have to other people's chosen speed, especially where people "choose" a speed they feel comfortable to travel at, with posted limits in mind....
Its not hard to see why we have issues and fatalities on our roads if that's
peoples attitude...
It angers me how selfish slow drivers can be.

I have no tolerence/patience for slow drivers, they don't respect me (don't seem to budge when I honk the horn in the right lane) so I don't respect them.
They have no regard for other peoples time, just don't care if anyone's in a rush or has a deadline. They're so selfish and non understanding they don't even consider simply moving over to the left lane. I'm not a fast driver I just make sure I'm constantly doing the limit, I'm a commercial driver(can't risk speeding) so I guess I'm fed up of how regular these situations occur.

We estimate our travel time using speed limits generally, that's compromised when we have stupid inconveniences coming into the picture that we shouldn't even rightfully have to account for.

I have no problem with people driving slow as long as it doesn't affect anybody else. Stay in the left lane and do the limit on single lane roads, or pull over and let people pas you want to drive slow, and I'd assume you have all the time in the world if you're driving slow so then you'd have time to constantly pull over and stop roadblocking people from their daily duties.

If you're not capable of doing the limit and reading keep left signs, you're incapable of having a license. The only time I get respect on the road is in the country, people see a car behind them and politely move over, I take my hat off to these people.

This post may seem incredibly ignorant to some, but that's because people have this thing in their heads that slow drivers are the safer/more wise group of . Which is incorrect, they're testing peoples patience, which many don't have.
Old 31-12-2008, 08:37 PM   #169
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR

I have no tolerence/patience for slow drivers, they don't respect me (don't seem to budge when I honk the horn in the right lane) so I don't respect them.
They have no regard for other peoples time, just don't care if anyone's in a rush or has a deadline. They're so selfish and non understanding they don't even consider simply moving over to the left lane. I'm not a fast driver I just make sure I'm constantly doing the limit, I'm a commercial driver(can't risk speeding) so I guess I'm fed up of how regular these situations occur.

We estimate our travel time using speed limits generally, that's compromised when we have stupid inconveniences coming into the picture that we shouldn't even rightfully have to account for.

I have no problem with people driving slow as long as it doesn't affect anybody else. Stay in the left lane and do the limit on single lane roads, or pull over and let people pas you want to drive slow, and I'd assume you have all the time in the world if you're driving slow so then you'd have time to constantly pull over and stop roadblocking people from their daily duties.

If you're not capable of doing the limit and reading keep left signs, you're incapable of having a license. The only time I get respect on the road is in the country, people see a car behind them and politely move over, I take my hat off to these people.

This post may seem incredibly ignorant to some, but that's because people have this thing in their heads that slow drivers are the safer/more wise group of . Which is incorrect, they're testing peoples patience, which many don't have.
Incredible....
You are, by your own admission, by every sane definition the epitome of the stereotypical bad, "road rage" dangerous driver.
Your attitude and behavior to the road, other drivers and driving in general is both dangerous, impatient and probably illegal.....

Old 31-12-2008, 09:41 PM   #170
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Red P platers 10 K over normal speed limit...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #171
Rob's 76 Effy
Lion Tammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR

Hate to be you in peak hour traffic then, the widows would fog up from the steam blowing from your head, lucky your not behind me honking that horn of yours, i'd slow down even more just to fiss you off, how you ppl believe driving under the speed limit by 10k's is more dangerous is beyond reasoning
"When you push a car past 180mph, the world starts to get awfully fuzzy. When you go past 200mph it actually blurs. The Bugatti Veyron is mind-blowingly, stunningly brilliant. It deserves 12 stars. Simply as good and as fast as it gets"
Don't drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly
Rob's 76 Effy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post