Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 02-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #181
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: E49 Chargers

I have a set of factory CJ/VJ maintenance manuals waiting for me to by a Chrysler again.
I think I need the Everest (or Tez 4wd Diesel), so I can sell the BFII Ghia, and the Outlander, and then go Chrysler shopping '70s style !!
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 04:15 PM   #182
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290 View Post
Brocks XU1 race cars used to have one choke of the twin choke Webbers blocked off to meet the Cams rules.
Love to know if he raced in 72 with webers as I too thought that was against rules.would be typical of holden to sell customers crap and race with webers.i have never seen pics of car from 72 to confirm, what I think happened car raced in 73 in improved production which allowed him to race with one barrel 48 mill webers and they were left on car.if the car raced in 72 with them should have been disqualified.

XR6 Turbo.Championship winner.
KW XRT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 07:00 PM   #183
CAMS290
trying to get a leg over
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by KW XRT View Post
Love to know if he raced in 72 with webers as I too thought that was against rules.would be typical of holden to sell customers crap and race with webers.i have never seen pics of car from 72 to confirm, what I think happened car raced in 73 in improved production which allowed him to race with one barrel 48 mill webers and they were left on car.if the car raced in 72 with them should have been disqualified.
In 1971 and '72 they ran the Strombergs as per series production rules and the Webers in 1973 with the introduction of Group C, I heard ages ago that they were 58 mill Webers.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:13 PM   #184
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Charger was winning race series long after production against more fancied rivals too GT'S Brock Commadores Mitsibishi and falcons.All Losers really.lol

Last edited by KW XRT; 06-12-2017 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-07-2014, 07:22 PM   #185
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Mini Grace Brothers Charger.

Last edited by KW XRT; 06-12-2017 at 09:09 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 07:43 PM   #186
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For those that haven't read some famous quotes about the charger by Wheels and from NZ.Read on.

In 1972 Leo swapped his three-speed 280hp E38 for a four-speed 302hp E49. He set the E49 up exactly as they had the E38 and right from the first race the E49 was unbeatable. His E49 easily won the group one division of the 1972/73 Castrol GTX series and shattered the lap record on all NZ circuits. The series became a Chrysler benefit with other E49s coming second, third and fourth overall.

The Ford Motor Company even sent Allan Moffatt and his 351 V8 Ford Falcon GTHO to NZ to take on the Kiwi Chargers. The Falcon GTHO was dominating production car racing in Australia at the time. To their surprise, Leo Leonard's Charger E49 was faster than the Falcon on the two occasions the two cars met. At the time, Moffatt described Leonard's E49 as the fastest Charger in the world. Leo later said he was happy with the performance edge his E49 had over the Falcon.

All you have heard about the incredible Chrysler Charger R/T E49 is true. At the time of E49s release, it's 302hp treble Weber 6 Pack Hemi was the most powerful production 6-cylinder engine in the world. A little known factory option was a Bathurst cam, which upped the power to a rather healthy 325hp! The 265 Hemi 6 Pack engines also have a magnificent spine tingling howl all of their own.

Wheels magazines 1972 road test of the E49 recorded 0-60mph in 6.1 seconds, 0-100mph in 14.1 seconds, standing quarter in 14.4 seconds, top speed 132mph. This made the E49 the fastest accelerating production car in Australia and the fastest accelerating production 6-cylinder car in the world. Not bad for a 25 year old stock standard 6-cylinder Valiant! Today with modern tires, NZ E49s have easily broken the 14-second barrier through the quarter and with higher gearing, NZ E49s have been timed at over 150mph.

Wheels (1972) said of the E49: ์Where the Charger is absolutely unbeatable is in winding mountain country. We don't mean tight hairpin bends, though it is still horribly quick through these, but on fast open sweepers and meandering switchbacks. The raw quivering power is instantaneously on tap and with a ratio for every conceivable situation the Charger just storms through and it would take a Ferrari Daytona with Jackie Ickx behind the wheel to stay with one.

Chrysler Chargers continued to compete successfully in NZ up until the early ๋80s winning every major production car event in the country. Other major race wins include the Golden 100 Pukekohe 1972, Shell 100 Levin 1972, Glenvale 200 Bay Park 1975, Splashe 200, Manfeild 1975, Albert Autos 500 Manfeild 1977.

7 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 07:47 PM   #187
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: E49 Chargers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
I think one reason the Charger stands out so much is that, as good as a GT Falcon was, it was "just a Falcon with some stripes" to Mr Average in the street. However, the Charger was a completely different body shape, something like 13" shorter on a shorter wheelbase than the sedans it was based on. Even a Monaro was sometimes seen as just a "two door Kingswood", but the Charger was, in appearances, a completely different model.

Whatever...we should just all be glad that the big three car makers graced us with such cars back in the old days and that so many are still around for younger generations to appreciate and enjoy!
Agree.. It's sad , the youth of today , don't get to experience , those seventies and eighties , were within a group , you had a GT, Charger 6 , Torana LH/LX or XU1, Monaro and that guy who just always stood out in everything he did , with Mazda rotary on NOS ..
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:08 PM   #188
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoudPipes View Post
All the quick Holden’s I knew back in the ‘70s were modified or to use the term of the day ‘worked’.
Factory stock cars were slow, my SLR5000 disappointed me out of the box.
What were you comparing to though , a difference of 1 second or so between the big 3 makes it slow ???? It achieved what it was designed for and in reality if you compared it to the XB GT I think you would find they were on par for performance .
O.k it understeered a tad but that was what the right pedal was for . So it overheated when pushed hard and the window frames would take on a life of their own when it was wound off the clock .
There are probably other reasons you were disappointed about your SLR and I feel sorry for you because back then owning a car of that genre cost a penny and unlike today you could use every pony it had on the STREET .

Edit , kingswood country has a lot to answer for , it corrupted a lot of young minds in it's day . The Vals were hugely underrated for too long .

Last edited by GREGL; 02-07-2014 at 11:24 PM.
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2014, 11:13 PM   #189
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well known fact that the Charger did not win Bathurst but it needs to be said that it is not that it couldn't win.There is a big difference.Had the wheel nuts aligned who knows.

In the 72 race the E49 was scheduled for one pit stop.This would have worked far better had the track been dry as fuel consumption and tyre wear for the Xu1 and the GT would have been far greater than it turned out.Never the less chivas started the race on intermediate wets but it is said that he was dead last for a time .It wasn't until lap 34 that he really started to turn the table and was the fastest car on the track for a time and lead from lap 62 to 66 I believe when he pitted for the one and only stop.

This is where it went all wrong.

The Valiants have a shanked nut for the W35 mag wheel and with 66 laps on the wheels the cold wheels and nuts jammed on the hot wheel studs and the result was a six minute pit stop.This is regarded by many as the Chargers best ever chance to win.If you check the 72 finishes Chivas finished one lap 1min and 15 seconds behind the leader.What wasn't taken into account was the charger was suffering from oil surge and a precautionary stop was made as there was time from the chargers 3rd position to 4th.This stop would not have been taken if the car was in the lead.

If you read the sports car world break down of the race it clearly states the car was held up for 6 mins with tyre problems {jammed wheel nuts** tyres and fueling was normally under 4 mins.

So Like I said it's not like the car wasn't capable it's just that it didn't.

This user likes this post:
Old 02-07-2014, 11:33 PM   #190
GREGL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well known fact that the Charger did not win Bathurst but it needs to be said that it is not that it couldn't win.There is a big difference.Had the wheel nuts aligned who knows.

In the 72 race the E49 was scheduled for one pit stop.This would have worked far better had the track been dry as fuel consumption and tyre wear for the Xu1 and the GT would have been far greater than it turned out.Never the less chivas started the race on intermediate wets but it is said that he was dead last for a time .It wasn't until lap 34 that he really started to turn the table and was the fastest car on the track for a time and lead from lap 62 to 66 I believe when he pitted for the one and only stop.

This is where it went all wrong.

The Valiants have a shanked nut for the W35 mag wheel and with 66 laps on the wheels the cold wheels and nuts jammed on the hot wheel studs and the result was a six minute pit stop.This is regarded by many as the Chargers best ever chance to win.If you check the 72 finishes Chivas finished one lap 1min and 15 seconds behind the leader.What wasn't taken into account was the charger was suffering from oil surge and a precautionary stop was made as there was time from the chargers 3rd position to 4th.This stop would not have been taken if the car was in the lead.

If you read the sports car world break down of the race it clearly states the car was held up for 6 mins with tyre problems {jammed wheel nuts** tyres and fueling was normally under 4 mins.

So Like I said it's not like the car wasn't capable it's just that it didn't.
One pit stop in 500 miles . Wtf are we putting up with all this techno crap nowadays when Chrysler had it nailed in 1972 ?
GREGL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 09:37 AM   #191
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My old E38.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 AM   #192
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When I first read about these big tanks {wheels etc** they described the boot area as having room for a soft over night bag and a carton of grog,which I thought was a load of crap but when I bought the E38 I was pretty dumb founded haw much of a tank these were.150 + litres.They had to pinch the sedan spare wheel woulds and weld in front of the tank for the spare.

I've been in a serv o before and had bigger fuel tank than a Land cruiser with an auxilary fuel tank.When I heard him whinging about the fuel he put in I said my old valiant would take more than that he joked untill I showed him the twin fillers.

3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 10:00 AM   #193
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
When I first read about these big tanks {wheels etc** they described the boot area as having room for a soft over night bag and a carton of grog,which I thought was a load of crap but when I bought the E38 I was pretty dumb founded haw much of a tank these were.150 + litres.They had to pinch the sedan spare wheel woulds and weld in front of the tank for the spare.

I've been in a serv o before and had bigger fuel tank than a Land cruiser with an auxilary fuel tank.When I heard him whinging about the fuel he put in I said my old valiant would take more than that he joked untill I showed him the twin fillers.

I use to find mine handled better with the big tank full, beats cement bags....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 10:58 AM   #194
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
I use to find mine handled better with the big tank full, beats cement bags....
I used to freak out about the fuel sloshing around in the boot especially with 30 year old springs.Going around forest elbow with the tank full took some doing also had to do a quick jab on the brakes to get the front to hook up.Thought I was going straight into the wall.

Old 03-07-2014, 11:13 AM   #195
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

I remember at top whack just about having to lift myself out of the seat to try and see over the top of the bonnet as the nose would be so far in the air, lol.
Old 03-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #196
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Not only could they go BL00DY fast but they could make a lot of smoke too. Sorry about the quaility but it was taken 12 years ago. After this trip up our driveway the next door neibour rang the local fire Bridgade cause he thought our house was on fire. My hemi orange 265 charger still sings and the sound of the triples webers sucking hard under acceleration brings a smile to my dial, and wipes the smile off a few wannabes at the same time. They are a true excitement machine.

I just hope that in 20 years time I don't have to replace the 265 with a Hemi modified DC electric motor, a boot load of High Output lithium batteries and a Six PAC of solar panels on the roof just to go to the local show and shine

Last edited by hootar; 09-08-2014 at 09:00 PM.
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #197
mcnews
Trev

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Trev has owned several boosted fords and has really contributed a lot of info on them. His posts in the bike section are also very helpful. I think he should be recognised as a technical contributor. 

My best smoky was not in my E49, but in my VK Charger with stroker V8, full manual valve bodied 727 etc. That was top gear and measured at 550 metres in length :-)
Old 03-07-2014, 08:04 PM   #198
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAMS290 View Post
In 1971 and '72 they ran the Strombergs as per series production rules and the Webers in 1973 with the introduction of Group C, I heard ages ago that they were 58 mill Webers.
bought a set of LC XU1 strommies cos i was bored

pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 08:15 PM   #199
Blem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ & they are going on ?
Blem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #200
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
I used to freak out about the fuel sloshing around in the boot especially with 30 year old springs.Going around forest elbow with the tank full took some doing also had to do a quick jab on the brakes to get the front to hook up.Thought I was going straight into the wall.
My E49 was only 10 years old when I sold her, the suspension was as stiff as a brick.....in the wet with a low tank the rear was always on the brink of breaking away if you where a bit leadfooted, a bit of extra weight in the bum always felt a bit more secure for me, I do agree about a tickle on the brakes to get the front to bite, I just liked the bum to be a bit heavier.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 03-07-2014, 08:41 PM   #201
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blem View Post
^^^ & they are going on ?
nothing

they just get pulled out when we feel like saying check this cool **** out
Old 03-07-2014, 09:01 PM   #202
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My E49 was only 10 years old when I sold her, the suspension was as stiff as a brick.....in the wet with a low tank the rear was always on the brink of breaking away if you where a bit leadfooted, a bit of extra weight in the bum always felt a bit more secure for me, I do agree about a tickle on the brakes to get the front to bite, I just liked the bum to be a bit heavier.....
I had rear springs reset on my e37.could not believe how well it handled.brocks pride and joy got left in twisties between miriam vale and gin gin.stopped to tighten up the harmonic balancer and still no sign of him.ran into trucky I went past at warp speed about 5 yesrs later he couldn, t believe I was stil alive.

Old 03-07-2014, 09:02 PM   #203
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige View Post

How does a multiple carby setup work?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 09:20 PM   #204
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
I had rear springs reset on my e37.could not believe how well it handled.brocks pride and joy got left in twisties between miriam vale and gin gin.stopped to tighten up the harmonic balancer and still no sign of him.ran into trucky I went past at warp speed about 5 yesrs later he couldn, t believe I was stil alive.
Actually I have just remembered I didn't always need a full tank, I remember having the girlfriend at the time in the front seat and three of her hot friends in the back seat, it handled great then as well......does it get any better....I think not....

Old 03-07-2014, 09:26 PM   #205
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
How does a multiple carby setup work?
magic sprockets n special string

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bF8YkOHRY
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2014, 09:42 PM   #206
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
magic sprockets n special string

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bF8YkOHRY
A work of art under the bonnet and takes just a little bit of nouse to keep it all running as it should, no laptop tuning there.....

I once made the mistake of pulling the Webers off thinking I could just have a peek to see how they worked and bolt them back on and go, nearly blew the exhaust to pieces with the back fires......lesson learnt....

Last edited by DJR-351; 03-07-2014 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-07-2014, 10:01 PM   #207
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

not all three webbers are the same model either, Middle one is diff to the outside two IIRC
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2014, 11:46 PM   #208
hootar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
A work of art under the bonnet and takes just a little bit of nouse to keep it all running as it should, no laptop tuning there.....

I once made the mistake of pulling the Webers off thinking I could just have a peek to see how they worked and bolt them back on and go, nearly blew the exhaust to pieces with the back fires......lesson learnt....
When I first got my charger it had a 4 barrel on it matched up to the big long manifold that hung over the top of the Lh shocker bolt. A mate at the time had a set of webers and he put them on for a try. Well he mucked around all day trying to get them to run right, it farted and spluttered and eventually went alright but nothing to get excited about.

I bought a heap of parts of an old bloke ( Bill Aurish ) who use to race em and had all the tuning guages etc. Apprently all the dealers within a 120 mile radius use to take them to him to tune. When I bought the triples of him he said what ever ya do don't let anyone touch em. Don't unbolt them of the manifold, or stuff with the linkages. Since then the motor has had a few mods, CHI alloy head, stainless values, roller rockers etc. Apart from jets, webers are untouched and they still sing their own merry little pop music dance. His theory was set them up right with the right gear and all will sweet. Been good advise so far I recon.
hootar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #209
KW XRT
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I found Ian stewart at Carb-teck years ago he was trained on them in itally.He set them up with a synometer and showed me how to do it as I lived 500 miles away.Never had to worry again.Once they were set only had to ballance them after I rebuilt the motor.

Old 04-07-2014, 12:38 AM   #210
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Those are CD175s from an LJ
The LC ran 150's
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post