Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 17-06-2016, 01:30 PM   #181
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: How does the welfare system work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post
I dunno about you guys but I'm experiencing a lot of my customers squealing and playing the poor me card when car repairs need to be done, lots of people are claiming they're struggling to make ends meet even though interest rates are at their lowest ever.

Imagine if we had a few interest rate increases?

Either people are doing it tough or they think cars are cheap to fix.

The extra $500 odd is seeming to be a problem when their car throws in the towel this week.
People will always whine these days, complaining about no money. Yet they seem to always have smokes, drugs, alcohol and eat take away, they seem to go to pubs and clubs etc. They seem to all have newer phones that what I have and always seem to have it attached to their ear.

May be if they prioritised their spending they would not have to complain about paying a fair price.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 01:38 PM   #182
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprintman1 View Post
I've been trying for two years. Maybe you can enlighten me?
Be honest and answer some simple questions:

What actions have you taken today to get a job??

What time did you get out of bed the last 5 days (since Monday morning)??

How many phone calls have you made in the last 5 days enquiring about a job??

How many potential employers have you seen in the last week about a job??

Seriously no person with your qualifications that you listed would be out of a job for even a few days if you actively pursued employment?? Unless of course you are no good at your job and word has gotten around??

If of course you are holding out for 300k a year junket instead of a job to pay a wage and pay some bills and get you out of the house then you might be waiting a few more years.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 01:58 PM   #183
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
Be honest and answer some simple questions:

What actions have you taken today to get a job??

Multiple web job applications, cold calling and phone calls. Walk ins earlier in the week.
What time did you get out of bed the last 5 days (since Monday morning)??

Usually up by 5:00 am or earlier
How many phone calls have you made in the last 5 days enquiring about a job??

Min 10 usually 15
How many potential employers have you seen in the last week about a job??

10-20 walk ins.
Seriously no person with your qualifications that you listed would be out of a job for even a few days if you actively pursued employment?? Unless of course you are no good at your job and word has gotten around??

No #1 in Australasia in 2006 in channel sales. Exceeded $10m in a month

If of course you are holding out for 300k a year junket instead of a job to pay a wage and pay some bills and get you out of the house then you might be waiting a few more years.
You're one of those people that I listen to on 2GB talking to Hadley, Smith, Price, etc etc. living in a parallel universe where there are jobs for everybody except
the oldies who are of course too busy 'playing pokies'. Another indication of the abject failure of the Australian education system. Gotta go, cover letters to write

Last edited by sprintman1; 17-06-2016 at 02:05 PM.
sprintman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #184
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If those are your honest answers and you actually approached and were as proactive as you claim to be, then I have no idea, may be you are looking on the wrong places or for the wrong jobs.

I can guarantee you there are more jobs than people, because half the jobs around here are filled by back packers and blow ins. if a new back packer comes into town they generally have a job in a day or two. They can be driving tractors, harvesters, doing fencing, working in the local shop, pub, working on local farms, working at the cotton gin, working on a cattle station etc All pay reasonable well and all jobs are freely available at any time. I know the local general store is looking for people right now as they been begging my missus to work more hours on top of her main job at the local school.

Not 300K jobs, but all work that pays well.

I don't listen to any talk back radio shows or talk to them, but I do get off my back side every day and go outside.

No parallel universe, may be your expectations are too high??

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

This user likes this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 02:54 PM   #185
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Post Re: How does the welfare system work

Quote:
If those are your honest answers and you actually approached and were as proactive as you claim to be, then I have no idea, may be you are looking on the wrong places or for the wrong jobs.

I can guarantee you there are more jobs than people, because half the jobs around here are filled by back packers and blow ins. if a new back packer comes into town they generally have a job in a day or two. They can be driving tractors, harvesters, doing fencing, working in the local shop, pub, working on local farms, working at the cotton gin, working on a cattle station etc All pay reasonable well and all jobs are freely available at any time. I know the local general store is looking for people right now as they been begging my missus to work more hours on top of her main job at the local school.

I don't listen to any talk back radio shows or talk to them, but I do get off my back side every day and go outside.

I think you are very lucky to live in an area where there is a multitude of jobs.Other areas like Nth West Tasmania where Caterpillar closed down their operations and the resultant flow on of work retrenchments has seen about 500 people become unemployed through no fault of their own.Now IF a job gets advertised about 300 people apply.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 02:59 PM   #186
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Been watching this thread for a while now and thought it was time for me to chime in.

I went on welfare for 2yrs after leaving tafe. I hated it. I felt demoralized and didn't feel right about receiving a hand out for something I felt I could get my way out of. My parents were good to me and they didnt ask for board of rent during that time while I tried to get on my feet.

I ended up working as a pizza delivery driver at nights for less than the dole only because I felt it gave me some purpose, not because I was 'too good or over qualified' for the job. To me, it was a job and I felt like it helped me in terms of my own self esteem. At that time I was just happy that I was actually a productive member of my local community and not a burden to society.

Some could say, yes mummy and daddy helped out and I had it easy. Sure they helped me I am grateful, so to show my gratitude I did my best to make them proud instead of bludging off welfare and off their hard work. I was a pizza delivery driver, a painter, builders laborer, gardener, pretty much any menial job that paid money that was available I gave a shot at which helped prop me up to the kind of work I wanted.

You're probably thinking, yeah yeah good for you, so what? What does that have to do with 'my' circumstances? How are you to judge, blah blah blah..... heard it all before.

I believe 'attitude' to what work comes your way, plays a massive role in getting a job as well as it setting you up for future work. Unfortunately, there are a lot of people who think they are above certain jobs and/or because it doesn't fit in with 'their lifestyle', it's not good enough for them. To me, you MAKE it work. If I had to, I would pick up cans out of a bin if it meant I kept trying to work and it gave me some form self worth. But that is my attitude towards work.

Flame suit on

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 03:03 PM   #187
The Yeti
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Parallel universe here, I do listen to Ray from time to time, I've also been made redundant twice since 2011.

But both times as soon as I've been notified I've got on the phone and each time I've had a job to walk into as soon as I've finished the last

No special secrets, I just keep in contact with people in the industry and try not to burn bridges. This doesn't stop as soon as I'm in the job it's a constant thing, that involves, regular coffee's the odd game of golf and so on.

I post images with postimg.cc (so I don’t forget)
The Yeti is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 03:06 PM   #188
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yeti View Post
Parallel universe here, I do listen to Ray from time to time, I've also been made redundant twice since 2011.

But both times as soon as I've been notified I've got on the phone and each time I've had a job to walk into as soon as I've finished the last

No special secrets, I just keep in contact with people in the industry and try not to burn bridges. This doesn't stop as soon as I'm in the job it's a constant thing, that involves, regular coffee's the odd game of golf and so on.
Same here but different past 60. Most wonder how/why still alive!
Old 17-06-2016, 03:08 PM   #189
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

When you get to 60 you'll understand the gist of this thread.
Old 17-06-2016, 03:27 PM   #190
mike_nofx
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Just a curiosity here, do you want a job because you just WANT to work, or do you want a job because you NEED an income?
mike_nofx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 03:33 PM   #191
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I have actually been amazed at the number of jobs available in rural parts of our country. Many of these employers also offer a place to stay at a reasonable price (or sometimes free). Sure, working on a pig farm might not suit everyone but it's not a bad gig.

The problem is most people don't want to move to find work. Some people don't even want to inconvenience themselves in the slightest to find meaningful employment.
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 04:15 PM   #192
barrys123
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm 74 next month and I'm one of the lucky ones retired at 57 and was a self funded retiree until 65 years old when I became eligible for a deserved part pension. As when I worked we payed up to 65% tax on the top rate of our pay, today everyone expects to pay as little tax as possible and receive all the benefits, we payed our share of tax, my last few years of working I payed $38,000 per year, so I think I deserve a little pension. As superannuation didn't come in until 1981, so if we wanted to retire early as in my case and have a reasonable income to compliment the pension when it became due, we had to save and invest to finance this lifestyle. I worked for the last 25 years in the one job in mining in the north-west.
But I tell you what I would hate to be in the workforce today or out of a job trying to get one, in my time when you were offered a job it was a permanent one, not like today when most employers hire through man-hire firms to avoid their responsibility towards the employee and have the ability to put you off at anytime. Anyone who is unskilled hasn't a hope, when I was employed they had a training scheme to make sure you improved your skills. I started out as a general hand, then over time trained up to operate all the heavy mobile equipment, then became a leading hand and later a shift supervisor. In all the trade sections of the job they used employ one apprentice to every three tradesman. These days nobody wants to train people they just want qualified personal, but then in those days we had strong unions that put pressure on employers.
barrys123 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #193
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard-Dog View Post
I have actually been amazed at the number of jobs available in rural parts of our country. Many of these employers also offer a place to stay at a reasonable price (or sometimes free). Sure, working on a pig farm might not suit everyone but it's not a bad gig.

The problem is most people don't want to move to find work. Some people don't even want to inconvenience themselves in the slightest to find meaningful employment.
Plenty of jobs in rural Australian and yes many do come with homes or accommodation as well.

But most people just don't want to budge or are not happy to do the work, so back packers step in and get hired in a flash.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 04:37 PM   #194
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Cool ten years to go....

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 17-06-2016, 05:00 PM   #195
Trump
bitch lasagne

The question many forget to ask themselves is, do they want to live to work or work to live?

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 05:39 PM   #196
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:

Our economic system relies on one in twenty of us being unemployed to remain stable. Without unemployed people wages and prices would rise out of control. Pollies talk about lowering unemployment and work to create more jobs. But "full" employment in Australia is about 5% unemployment. Any less puts upward pressure on wages, prices, inflation etc.

We need unemployed people to maintain our current standard of living. So that is part of the reason people are paid to be unemployed. It's not the best system but it's the best we have.
Old 17-06-2016, 05:48 PM   #197
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_nofx View Post
Just a curiosity here, do you want a job because you just WANT to work, or do you want a job because you NEED an income?
Both. Daughter has a Royal Show class horse and I think it eats money not horse feed although she tries to convince me otherwise
Old 17-06-2016, 05:51 PM   #198
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Plenty of jobs in rural Australian and yes many do come with homes or accommodation as well.

But most people just don't want to budge or are not happy to do the work, so back packers step in and get hired in a flash.
What jobs exactly? I have a daughter in final year of college and we care for the invalid mother-in-law so moving would be problematical and that's an understatement.
Old 17-06-2016, 06:02 PM   #199
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Our economic system relies on one in twenty of us being unemployed to remain stable. Without unemployed people wages and prices would rise out of control. Pollies talk about lowering unemployment and work to create more jobs. But "full" employment in Australia is about 5% unemployment. Any less puts upward pressure on wages, prices, inflation etc.

We need unemployed people to maintain our current standard of living. So that is part of the reason people are paid to be unemployed. It's not the best system but it's the best we have.
There would be no upward pressure on all three if sound money was in place of the farce we currently have.

Old 17-06-2016, 06:08 PM   #200
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There are some jobs in some sectors and locations,hence the 457 visa.
Old 17-06-2016, 06:50 PM   #201
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You are seriously out of touch if you don't think age discrimination doesn't exist. Both young and old.

Of course there are plenty of jobs out in the bush because no one wants to live there. That's exactly the reason why the services suck out there.

If I had to go there I would but **** I wouldn't do it by choice.
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 06:58 PM   #202
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
I'm 74 next month and I'm one of the lucky ones retired at 57 and was a self funded retiree until 65 years old when I became eligible for a deserved part pension. As when I worked we payed up to 65% tax on the top rate of our pay, today everyone expects to pay as little tax as possible and receive all the benefits, we payed our share of tax, my last few years of working I payed $38,000 per year, so I think I deserve a little pension. As superannuation didn't come in until 1981, so if we wanted to retire early as in my case and have a reasonable income to compliment the pension when it became due, we had to save and invest to finance this lifestyle. I worked for the last 25 years in the one job in mining in the north-west.
But I tell you what I would hate to be in the workforce today or out of a job trying to get one, in my time when you were offered a job it was a permanent one, not like today when most employers hire through man-hire firms to avoid their responsibility towards the employee and have the ability to put you off at anytime. Anyone who is unskilled hasn't a hope, when I was employed they had a training scheme to make sure you improved your skills. I started out as a general hand, then over time trained up to operate all the heavy mobile equipment, then became a leading hand and later a shift supervisor. In all the trade sections of the job they used employ one apprentice to every three tradesman. These days nobody wants to train people they just want qualified personal, but then in those days we had strong unions that put pressure on employers.
The pension is there as a form of welfare and thats the way it should be, to help support our elderly who can't provide for themselves.

Not 'I've paid all my taxes all my life so I'm holding my hand out for tax payer money even though I own 5 houses and have 7 figures in term deposits'.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 07:08 PM   #203
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo View Post

Not 'I've paid all my taxes all my life so I'm holding my hand out for tax payer money even though I own 5 houses and have 7 figures in term deposits'.

Many of those around. A mates ex worked at a bank. I remember her telling stories of some elderly people who would have hundreds of thousands, sometimes even more, sitting in a particular account. She would suggest to them to put the money into a different type account to get some interest. They would say "No if I do that I wont get my pension payments"
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 07:10 PM   #204
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Many of those around. A mates ex worked at a bank. I remember her telling stories of some elderly people who would have hundreds of thousands, sometimes even more, sitting in a particular account. She would suggest to them to put the money into a different type account to get some interest. They would say "No if I do that I wont get my pension payments"
Yep, one of my relatives works in this particular field involving pensioners and he gets it all the time, I want a pension because I've paid taxes all my life, and they've got assets listed well into 7 figures.

Even if they only get 50 cents a week it gives them a health care card, subsidised rego, medication, public transport etc.

You get people who can't even rub two 5 cent coins together who get a hard time to get any form of welfare then the 7 figures in assets beating the table about paying taxes all their life.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 07:23 PM   #205
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrys123 View Post
But I tell you what I would hate to be in the workforce today or out of a job trying to get one, in my time when you were offered a job it was a permanent one, not like today when most employers hire through man-hire firms to avoid their responsibility towards the employee and have the ability to put you off at anytime. Anyone who is unskilled hasn't a hope, when I was employed they had a training scheme to make sure you improved your skills.
Works both ways. I have hired over 60 casuals in the last 4 years for basic storeman work. These blokes should already have the skills (forklift tickets etc.)
Out of that 60 i have found 5-6 worthy employees. I have then employed them in full time positions. With these "man-hire" companies, they release the workers for full time employment after 12 weeks. The amount of casuals that dont last or cant learn the job in that time is astounding. I would only ever use agencies as at least you can have the choice of an instant replacement when the original candidate isnt up to the task.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-06-2016, 07:38 PM   #206
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loud_Noises View Post
There would be no upward pressure on all three if sound money was in place of the farce we currently have.
Not sure what you mean
Old 17-06-2016, 07:43 PM   #207
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mont5.0 View Post
Works both ways. I have hired over 60 casuals in the last 4 years for basic storeman work. These blokes should already have the skills (forklift tickets etc.)
Out of that 60 i have found 5-6 worthy employees. I have then employed them in full time positions. With these "man-hire" companies, they release the workers for full time employment after 12 weeks. The amount of casuals that dont last or cant learn the job in that time is astounding. I would only ever use agencies as at least you can have the choice of an instant replacement when the original candidate isnt up to the task.
Job agency talked me into Cert II in heavy vehicle ops course with the promise of a job at the end. Something different I thought and a HR lic so proceeded to spend 5 weeks in a classroom and practical. Yes I now have said HR lic but amazingly the jobs failed to eventuate, what a surprise... And chasing other driving jobs advertised they're not interested as no experience. Cost me about $60 for book and rules test but govt picked up the tab for the exy part, several thousand I believe.
Old 17-06-2016, 07:45 PM   #208
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben73 View Post
Crap... Govco has had "Deeming" rules in place for over 20 yrs now! (Where THEY deem what interest SHOULD be earned)
There is also maximum amounts held in bank accounts before it affects your pension.. And well less than 100k
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-06-2016, 07:47 PM   #209
sprintman1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Crap... Govco has had "Deeming" rules in place for over 20 yrs now! (Where THEY deem what interest SHOULD be earned)
There is also maximum amounts held in bank accounts before it affects your pension.. And well less than 100k
Can you please not use factual data here, it upsets the natives...............
Old 17-06-2016, 07:48 PM   #210
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Originally Posted by Work Horse View Post
Not sure what you mean
Fractional reserve banking is the mechanism by which the banks are able to create almost limitless credit (and by default the amount of money circulating through the economy). For every dollar they have on their books, they can create nine more out of thin air and loan it out or do as they see fit with it. This endless process results in the consistent devaluation of the unit of currency and the resultant increase in prices and wages. It is the sole cause of inflation.

As a result, over 95% of the money in existence is this monetised debt.

Revert to 100% reserve banking and the problems you mentioned essentially disappear as the cost of good comes down due to value added by manufacture and innovation. When the cost of goods (and services) comes down, wages pressures disappear. With wage pressures gone, full employment becomes possible.