Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Closed Thread

Old 27-01-2007, 11:28 PM   #1
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Why you never work under a car held up by a trolley jack

Fortunately I wasn't working under it, I was in the process of putting the axle stands under it when this happened...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo-0125.jpg (54.4 KB, 651 views)
Old 27-01-2007, 11:30 PM   #2
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Lucky...
Old 27-01-2007, 11:32 PM   #3
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Damn, lucky you're alright, much damage done to the car?
Old 27-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #4
XR Rob
2003 BA XR8

Whoopsy...!
Old 27-01-2007, 11:33 PM   #5
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Any damage to the car?
Old 27-01-2007, 11:35 PM   #6
Kryton

should try doing that on dirt with the whole front of the car off the ground when both wheels are off!
i WAS lucky i wasnt under it.
Old 27-01-2007, 11:36 PM   #7
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm wrecking it anyway but no the axle stand caught the floor pan on the right hand side, luckily didn't punch through it... so no damage
Old 27-01-2007, 11:43 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistedEL
Fortunately I wasn't working under it, I was in the process of putting the axle stands under it when this happened...
Nice to see lots of PPE in that shot! LOL.

It's scary when that happens - lucky you weren't under it. Any idea how that happened?
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 27-01-2007, 11:45 PM   #9
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah it wasn't quite high enough for the axle stand and I tried to force it underneath

The whole rear end shifted about a foot to the left by the time it landed
Old 27-01-2007, 11:50 PM   #10
Mark One
A humorous statement

That situation + your head = A very unpleasant pancake.

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Old 27-01-2007, 11:57 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark One
That situation + your head = A very unpleasant pancake.
Not a pancake - just a huge egg on your head, and a headache. If the wheels were off, then pancake would be the right description.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
Old 27-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #12
Mark One
A humorous statement

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
Not a pancake - just a huge egg on your head, and a headache. If the wheels were off, then pancake would be the right description.
As right as you are that lacks the same dramatic effect.

I did however describe davway's situation :nutsycuck

S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLC
not using the search button makes the baby jesus cry.
Old 28-01-2007, 12:22 AM   #13
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

my father was killed when a jack collapsed on a car he was working on- needless to say safety is paramount when working under cars.
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 28-01-2007, 12:27 AM   #14
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimt3te50
my father was killed when a jack collapsed on a car he was working on- needless to say safety is paramount when working under cars.
ah gee, sorry to hear that....

i always jack the car up and place it on stands before working on it...... even if its just the smallest of jobs under there
i leave the trolley jack raised and under there as well as a safety.......

also, make sure your ground is clean.....even the smallest of stones will stop a trolley jack in its tracks......and the car can easily fall off if the jack cant roll

stay safe out there guys!
Old 28-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #15
Jasinex
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i allways hate to see cars without stands.. when i see mates doing it.. when they walk away.. i let the jack down ... and make them try to get the car back up again... its funny to see and they do learn after the 3rd or 4th time

now with fast parts added...

Stage 1: Buy car. with money.

Stage 2: Put in Wade Custom Cam, Crow Double Valve springs, High Flow Head, 3.23 LSD, 2.5" mandrell bent with Mercury muffler and custom made CAT, iridium plugs, nolothane bushes, Koni suspension, CAI.. NOW WITH MPFI....OHHH YEAHHH!!

Stage 3: More engine mods.. and a fresh new look... can't wait.. :eclipsee_ : :Reverend:

15.43 @ 89 mph - Willowbank Raceway 07/03/2007
Old 28-01-2007, 12:32 AM   #16
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
ah gee, sorry to hear that....

i always jack the car up and place it on stands before working on it...... even if its just the smallest of jobs under there
i leave the trolley jack raised and under there as well as a safety.......

also, make sure your ground is clean.....even the smallest of stones will stop a trolley jack in its tracks......and the car can easily fall off if the jack cant roll

stay safe out there guys!
It's fine mate- it's just a real life story that these things do happen.

As you said, even if it's just the smallest of jobs.

A trolley jack, some axle stands and a couple of wheel chocks are very, very cheap items and it doesn't take all that much longer to do it right and safely
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
Old 28-01-2007, 07:49 AM   #17
GK
Walking with God

A timely reminder of the real dangers we face when modding, repairing and servicing our own vehicles.

Sorry about your father Jim.

Stay safe everyone!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
Old 28-01-2007, 07:54 AM   #18
Sledgehammer
Banned

car ramps are the same as well, we all love our cars, just make sure that we are still there.
Old 28-01-2007, 08:23 AM   #19
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Those small trolley jacks are very dangerous.Should be banned.. Do yourself a favour and get a big one ,they aren't that expensive ..You are very lucky....
Old 28-01-2007, 11:09 AM   #20
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

is it me..... or does your jack look really really small?!
Old 28-01-2007, 11:15 AM   #21
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

The smaller jacks are good for lowered cars. I have a small one that is easily transportable however, apart from changing a wheel at the drags (where I am always careful not to put any part of my body under the car) I only use it to raise the car to fit the axle stands, then it is lowered so the stands take all the weight. Even if I'm only changing a wheel. I dont trust jacks.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Old 28-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #22
xr8ute
Back on the road

The very first tools I bought when I started mucking around with cars in high school where 4 jack stands, and a 3-ton trolley jack.

It still freaked me out getting underneath the car for the first time (for the XF's annual rear main seal change)....and 10 years later, its still something I take very seriously.

With some mistakes, you just dont get a second chance.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
Old 28-01-2007, 12:43 PM   #23
ratter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Shares his in-depth tuning knowledge with the forum, very helpful. Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For his indepth tutorial on adding borders to photographs 

You can purchase the big jacks with a lower height which are also great for lowered cars

Authorised Streetfighter, Pcmtec , SCT & HP Tuners Tuning Agent,
Old 28-01-2007, 12:45 PM   #24
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
is it me..... or does your jack look really really small?!
still wider with a bigger contact area than a scissor jack..... which i almost refuse to use these days
Old 28-01-2007, 03:05 PM   #25
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I should invest in a new jack, saying that, this one does do the job, it's one of those super crap ones that I got on special... I should stop shopping there.
Old 28-01-2007, 03:06 PM   #26
TwistedEL
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It is a little bigger than the mobile phone camera gives it credit for
Old 28-01-2007, 03:19 PM   #27
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Good to see no1 was hurt. sorry about ur father jim hope a lesson was learnt by all
Old 28-01-2007, 06:24 PM   #28
AUTickford
XD197

I wont get under the car without stands,and i leave the jack there too.I have never seen a jack that doesnt creep down over time even new ones, so theres always a chance a seal might let go
Old 01-02-2007, 10:56 AM   #29
crakrz
T3 TE50 Blueprint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Craig has shown and shared an outstanding amount of knowledge in the field of Tuning. Craig is only to happy to share with anyone that asks his knowledge on the EEC tuning system, in particularly in the use of Moates Quarterhorse and Binary Editor. 
Thumbs down

Scissor jacks should be banned. I lifted up one side of my previous ride, VC SLE in pristine condition, just to rotate tyres front to rear. car came crashing down, scissor jack slid up the sill and into passenger door like a can opener. It had stripped the thread on the winding mechanism. Never had one in my possession since.
Old 01-02-2007, 12:12 PM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I used to work with guy who was a paralysed from his waist down as a result of his car dropping on him while he was under it and using slabs as jack stands. I suspect his life was also shortened from this as he recently died and was only in his late 50's. So it is also about using safe jack stands not just not getting under a jacked car.

The best jack I had was a 3 tn Supercheap quicklift one. Well I thought it was good but they recalled it and I had to try and get a replacement. The recall seemed to create a short term shortage of similar jacks at the time in WA and as an interim measure I bought a small quicklift one from Big W ($50 special) until I got something better (a week later).

I was having difficulty getting the new big 2.8 tn jack past the mudflap on the NC last week so thought I would try the Big W one. Unfortunately the lifting pad on this jack is very small ( about 1.5 ") and after I had lifted the car (nice heavy iron V8 in a nice heavy fully equipped Fairlane) the lifting pad of the jack went partially through the front right hand (driver's side) jacking point folding the surrounding metal work up around it. Fortunately it stopped before it hit the next layer of metal (the floor pan) and the hole isn't too big but it's a good thing I wasn't under it.

Obviously you need to spread the weight as much as possible when lifting a heavy car and the Big W jack lifting pad was too small and the weight was all focused on that 1.5 ". The hole and dent was also somewhat outboard of the cars jacking point so I don't know if i missed the correct spot or the car slid down to the more slanted outmost side of the jacking point near the outer body seam under the door (if it did this would perhaps have added additional pressure). So now I have some major underbody car surgery to perform (it's a pain as without a car lift I can't get my big slide hammer under the car to pull the panel back into alignment before welding up the small hole and perhaps adding some reinforcing plates to the jacking points).