Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 30-08-2012, 11:04 PM   #1
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Lest We Forget

While you are in bed under your own roof about to sleep tonight spare a thought for the 5 true Australian Heroes we lost today in Afghanistan.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.
Lest We Forget.

fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #2
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Default Re: Lest We Forget

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.

Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.

They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,

They fell with their faces to the foe.

They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning,

We will remember them.

Lest we forget.

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Road_Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-08-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic
While you are in bed under your own roof about to sleep tonight spare a thought for the 5 true Australian Heroes we lost today in Afghanistan.

At the going down of the sun and in the morning, we will remember them.
Lest We Forget.
Agrred , now time to leave before more bad things happen in a "police" action that failed
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 12:17 AM   #4
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
Originally Posted by atec77
Agrred , now time to leave before more bad things happen in a "police" action that failed
No point pulling out at this point unless it looks like the mission will fail.

While there is no point spending more lives for a lost cause, if it looks like it will succeed, we are past the point of no return!!

Lest We Forget!

Current:
2012 Ford Focus Sport - Petrol/Manual/Black
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 12:50 AM   #5
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

This is a very sad thing too happen, but what's even sader. Is that this war has been going on for so long, that you forget we are even at war. Untill something like this happens.

Lest We Forget
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 01:03 AM   #6
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Errhm, didn't President Bush say something along the lines of 'Mission Accomplished', several years ago, and a true hero called out 'GERONIMO', Then why are we still there?
I would love to help 'The Afghan' people, I want them to share the joy and expectant hope, that we in the 'west' invest in and look forward to. But, at the end of the day, the people on the ground have to accept the 'input'.

Aussie Diggers die.

This is a planned operation. Either between him and his fellow troopers, he and his father or family, or he and his "mates". And I put "mates" in inverted commas, as I know that my mates would not carry out such a task.
Errrm, sorry, but us Westerners sorted that stuff out when, ahh, it was so long ago, we've forgot.

So some one comes along with a Holy Book, the Koran. Yeah, I have read some. The early bits are quite inspiring, loving the Jew (brothers through Abraham), each to their own and etc. But I get concerned with the later stuff, you know, the death to the unbeliever type of stuff.

Bring the boys and girls home. With the money saved, we can build a fence (and Aussies are good at fences, Rabbit Proof and Dingo Proof fences) around Afgahnistan central, hell, with the help of our allies, we can build a twenty foot high wall, topped with razor wire and swept with lasers and machineguns.

If you want to get out, recite the Apostles' Creed. Sorry to insert a bit of religion here, but it is a crux on which western civilisation is based. We are not talking money, or churches, but the fundamentalist Afghan fool is just as happy blowing himself up in a market place, as he is gunning down a bunch of Aussie Friends.

Build a wall, built from bricks, or bytes should help.

As and aside, for a while, Isreal was denuded by suicide bombers, (buses, half filled with Moslems). until they instigated a program that bulldozed the bombers family home, their friends home and any people that may have had the slightest connection to the bomber. Result - no more suicide bombings on Jewish territory. Easy fix.

Bring the boys and gals home, and spend the money saved on a 'fence'.
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 08:51 AM   #7
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

People forget what war is about...and when you come right down to it, that's people dying.

In this age of smart weapons and unmanned drones, we the public have sat back and thought that it was all "war at a distance", and a lot of people actually seem honestly shocked that soldiers still die occasionally in a war zone, as if they don't think that;s something that happens anymore.

In ten years in Afghanistan, we have lost 38 troops. But go back to World War One and in one 24 hour period at the Battle Of Fromelles, we had over 5500 Australian soldiers killed, injured, or taken captive. We have to keep things relative.

Nothing is served by packing up and going home as soon as someone dies in a war. The soldiers are there to do a job, and any time they interview them about what should be done, they say "stay the course, finish the job". They don't cry and run home with thier tail between their legs.

I'd really hate to see what would happen if the worst ever did happen at some time in the future an Australia was invaded by ground forces, say from some country to the north. As soon as Australian soldiers started dying, you can bet there would be calls for immediate surrender as it was becoming "too risky for the troops in that war zone" as some commentators are saying now about Afghanistan and Iraq...
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 09:03 AM   #8
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E
People forget what war is about...and when you come right down to it, that's people dying.

We are not at war with Afghanistan!

To our fallen, Lest we forget.
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #9
XBROO
Obsessed with wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E

In this age of smart weapons and unmanned drones, we the public have sat back and thought that it was all "war at a distance", and a lot of people actually seem honestly shocked that soldiers still die occasionally in a war zone, as if they don't think that;s something that happens anymore.

In ten years in Afghanistan, we have lost 38 troops. But go back to World War One and in one 24 hour period at the Battle Of Fromelles, we had over 5500 Australian soldiers killed, injured, or taken captive. We have to keep things relative.

Nothing is served by packing up and going home as soon as someone dies in a war. The soldiers are there to do a job, and any time they interview them about what should be done, they say "stay the course, finish the job". They don't cry and run home with thier tail between their legs.

I'd really hate to see what would happen if the worst ever did happen at some time in the future an Australia was invaded by ground forces, say from some country to the north. As soon as Australian soldiers started dying, you can bet there would be calls for immediate surrender as it was becoming "too risky for the troops in that war zone" as some commentators are saying now about Afghanistan and Iraq...
Some good points you have made there. I think the main reason people want to pull our troops out every time our soldiers fall is 'it's not our war why are we fighting it'. But we are an allied country and if our allied countries go to war then so do we. If we weren't part of an alliance then there would be nothing to stop a super power from taken us over.

Last edited by XBROO; 31-08-2012 at 10:43 AM.
XBROO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 10:31 AM   #10
Bluepower
KenneBell Australia

You cannot buy the loyalty of an afghan.......you can only rent it.

Thankyou for keeping us safe, gone but never forgotten.

Bluepower Racing Developments

Proud Australian Distributors of Kenne Bell superchargers
The Quickest, The Fastest, The Baddest Boss Blower of all.

www.bluepower.com.au

Bluepower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #11
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

way past time we pulled our boys out I think......these people have been fighting for thousands of years...they are experts

lets just let them do what they do best and leave them alone

enough of our finest have been sacrificed at the alter of futility...

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 11:50 AM   #12
atec77
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
No point pulling out at this point unless it looks like the mission will fail.

While there is no point spending more lives for a lost cause, if it looks like it will succeed, we are past the point of no return!!

Lest We Forget!
Bush said mission done ages ago , we need to remove the troops and let the usual state of decades of war continue because our little force is not able to achieve the objectives set far to long ago with out further waste of our young to no real end
atec77 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 11:56 AM   #13
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I did not put this thread up so people can argue why or why not we should be there, so please dont make this political.
Soldiers chose to fight and we accept the risk of dying, thats fair enough, but it still doesnt take away the fact that 5 Heros were taken from us too soon.

To my mates that have passed i truely will never forget you,

Rest Ye, Oh Warrior
You'll battle no more
No longer to live
The horrors of war
Your duty was done
With honour and pride
Farewell Oh Brother
Until we march by your side.
fordomatic is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-08-2012, 02:44 PM   #14
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

not to take anything away from our troops, for me the SAS are the super heroes of soldiers, hands down the best in the world with invincible spirit!

RIP Blane Diddams!

my friend!!!!
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post