Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 25-04-2006, 04:10 PM   #1
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Default Track Insurance?

(Sorry if this is in the wrong section)

My question is, with everyone always running their cars at Heathcote and Calder, is their anyone that does track insurance? I just spoke to Just Car and they don't but the guy suggested I get intouch with the insurance ombudsman. Does anyone have the details for the ombudsman or know of anyone that would insure you for a day of fun at the track??

May seem like a silly question but I'd like to atleast try and find out whether it's possible to get cover or not.

Krissy

2003 FULLY OPTIONED MERCURY SILVER BA GT-P BUILD #336
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
~Tuned By Bluepower Racing~
FRDGAL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 04:19 PM   #2
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

I never heard of anyone doing this type of insurance & if they did i'm sure it would cost a hell of a lot of $$$
Old 25-04-2006, 04:20 PM   #3
loxxr6
XB in parts...

You'd prob be better off speaking to a broker rather than the ombusdmen I think.

Start your search here www.niba.com.au/

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #4
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Some insurance companies will be fine with the John Bowe safe driving days but out and out track racing insurance might be pretty hard to come by.

Old 25-04-2006, 05:13 PM   #5
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Fair enough. I was just curious as it's not a subject I've ever seen discussed so I wasn't sure if anything was available.
REVERSE CAMERA - SAT NAV - PIONEER SUB & AMP - SUNROOF - DVD PLAYER - CUSTOM DUAL EXHAUST
Old 25-04-2006, 06:14 PM   #6
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I can't see why you would need it. It's almost guarenteed that racing your car reguarly, it will get damaged, and if you hit someone, wouldn't the track have their own insurance?

What are you after the insurance to cover?

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-04-2006, 06:44 PM   #7
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I wasn't asking for myself really. I was just asking in general and was curious whether anything like that was offered or if anyone had it as I haven't heard anyone talk about this subject.

I guess I'm just curious to know what happens if you somehow hit another car. I've seen some close calls. Twice I saw a car slide almost into the other lane so what happens if you were to hit someone? That's what I want to find out. But as I said, it's simple curiosity really.
Old 25-04-2006, 08:25 PM   #8
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I know that Shannons will cover your car for defensive driver education and things like that, maybe even the John Bowe course.

Not track days and drags though!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 12:02 PM   #9
RspecAU
BA GT-P Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDGAL_AU6
I wasn't asking for myself really. I was just asking in general and was curious whether anything like that was offered or if anyone had it as I haven't heard anyone talk about this subject.

I guess I'm just curious to know what happens if you somehow hit another car. I've seen some close calls. Twice I saw a car slide almost into the other lane so what happens if you were to hit someone? That's what I want to find out. But as I said, it's simple curiosity really.
I'm not 100% sure but if u hit anyone i think it just bad luck and it's up to u to fix any damage done to ur own car.
ON MAXXIS MAV1's 275/45/17 13.27 @ 106mph
RspecAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 12:49 PM   #10
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Yeah, I was under the impression it was all on your own risk... risking someone crashing into you, etc....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 12:58 PM   #11
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

I think you wear it that's why I choose to let some cars run by themselves or let other people in front. If you see a bit of a "danger man" let him run by himself.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 01:37 PM   #12
HLC
Audi S3

good thread. always been curious about this.
Old 26-04-2006, 01:50 PM   #13
HOTC2R
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by au3 chaser
I can't see why you would need it. It's almost guarenteed that racing your car reguarly, it will get damaged, and if you hit someone, wouldn't the track have their own insurance?
What are you after the insurance to cover?
The only insurance that a track would have would be public liability insurance.
HOTC2R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 02:11 PM   #14
Mack 6
SUMP PLUG

Some car clubs will have insurance set up for their members for track days. SA Sporting car club has it, and you fee's cover the costs. Only stipulation is a CAMS licence and meeting entry requirements for each event.
Mack 6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #15
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Good question tho.

I was under the impression that there's like a gentleman's agreement that if you're out on the track and you cause an accident that each person just looks after themselves.

Can anyone that's been to Wakefield Park or similar confirm this ?

Old 26-04-2006, 03:53 PM   #16
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I know that Shannons will cover your car for defensive driver education and things like that, maybe even the John Bowe course.

Not track days and drags though!

GK
Sorry to quote myself, but it will make sense!

I was on the phone to Shannons earlier arranging for 2 AU's 1 Honda Motorbike and House and Contents insurance! The bloke said something about some sort of track day cover for yourself but it's a fair bit more expensive.

Don't quote me on this of course, as it was general talk, I wasn't making real enquiries (not going racing) but that was the gist (jist?) of it!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-04-2006, 05:27 PM   #17
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

I know I'm repeating myself but I really am just curious because I've never seen/heard anyone discuss this so for my own curiosity and also, what made me think about this isn't because I hit the track but because I read a 17y/o asking if he could run his car at Heathcote and that got me thinking - a 17y/o on his L's asking to run. If he were allowed to, what happens if I'm next to him and I get hit or anyone else for that matter. And no, I'm not having a go at 17y/o's but the way this kid was talking was a bit worrying...............

I know it's our own choice to run our cars but I guess if there was something available, I'd atleast like to know about it and if I could get cover (not just me but I'm talking generally for all) atleast we'd know.

I contacted the Insurance Ombudsman and they contacted ANDRA for me and I'm waiting to hear from them. I guess if there is no such cover for track days then ok fair enough, but atleast I've looked into it.
Old 26-04-2006, 06:50 PM   #18
FRDGAL
GT-P #0336

Received this email from ANDRA:

Hi Kristeena

The only way we can help you with insurance would be if you were to run under ANDRA sanctioning, that would mean that all vehicles attending the meeting would have to comply with all rules and regulations, ANDRA stewards and officials would also have to be in attendance.

All participants at the meet would also have to be current ANDRA licence holders.

You will need to contact the track to see if they were willing to run under ANDRA sanctioning.

Please call me if you would like me to elaborate on this, or if you have any other questions.

Kind regards

Cherie Sommerville
Office Manager
Ph: (08) 8271 5355

Well there it is. Atleast I/We now know. Onto my next Q&A mission LOL :P