Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 25-08-2009, 04:40 PM   #1
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Teen driver killed trying to save petrol

taken from ninemsn

Quote:
A P-plate driver was killed and a passenger "lost half her face" after a plan to save petrol backfired.

The 18-year-old Tasmanian driver — "worried" about fuel — turned his car's engine off and removed the keys from the ignition while coming around a bend on a highway, the Mercury newspaper reports.

But he was unable to steer the car out of the path of an oncoming truck after the steering wheel locked.

Three passengers in his car were severely injured, with one female losing half of her face.

The driver, whose name has been suppressed by the Tasmanian Coroners Court, had only been on his P plates for one month before his death.

Coroner Rod Chandler yesterday released his findings into the crash, which occurred in December 2008 during a drive to Hobart on the Channel Highway at Margate in the state's south east.

He described the driver's act as "ignorant", saying the teenager's death could have been avoided if he knew enough about the vehicle he was driving.

"This crash occurred as a consequence of the deceased deliberately removing the key from the ignition while his car was still in motion," Mr Chandler said.

"As a consequence, the engine disengaged and the steering wheel locked as soon as an attempt was made to steer the vehicle.

"I am satisfied that it occurred in this instance not because the deceased was being foolhardy or irresponsible but rather because of his ignorance of its effect upon his capacity to manage the vehicle."

Mr Chandler said the teenager was coming around a left-hand bend with the engine off when the car skidded across the road and into the path of a Volvo truck.

Mr Chandler said speed and the fact the driver of the truck had minor traces of marijuana in his system had nothing to do with the accident.

"Quite clearly it is an extremely dangerous act to remove a key from a vehicle's ignition whilst it is still in motion," he said.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 25-08-2009, 04:44 PM   #2
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I just read that online a little while ago. Why would you take the keys out though?! What possible reason could you have to do that?!

I'd say for the driver, he should be in the darwin awards. But its sad that he was dumb enough to do that with passengers especially since a girl lost half her face in this.
Old 25-08-2009, 04:50 PM   #3
gtfpv
GT

speechless .
something is very wrong with human intelligence if this can happen on our roads, both in INTELLECT AND EDUCATION .
Old 25-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #4
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What's more surprising (Human stupidity is overdone too often to be interesting anymore) is that the truck driver isn't being crucified despite it not being his fault. Once the m word comes up the individual automatically becomes the scapegoat.

Hmmm maybe they're learning.
Old 25-08-2009, 04:55 PM   #5
Road_Warrior
Pity the fool

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez
I just read that online a little while ago. Why would you take the keys out though?! What possible reason could you have to do that?!
Trying to save on petrol it seems!

:-|

1970 XW Falcon GT replica | 1970 XW Falcon | 1971 XY Fairmont | 1973 ZG Fairlane | 1986 XF Falcon panel van | 1987 XFII Falcon S-Pack | 1988 XF Falcon GLS ute | 1993 EBII Fairmont V8 | 1996 XG Falcon ute | 2000 AU Falcon wagon | 2004 BA Falcon XT | 2012 SZ Territory Titanium AWD

Proud to buy Australian and support Ford Australia through thick and thin
Old 25-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #6
jcxr
Tribal Elder

Same thing happened years ago when a little old ladies passenger tried to open the glovebox of her friends car, prompting little old lady to remove keys whilst tootling up the road, both killed. Ironic, it was also in Tasmania.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:03 PM   #7
Wretched
Render unto Caesar

darwinism at it's best.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

My mate showed me this article earlier. What a knob. Really. If you can't afford fuel, don't drive. Simple. Feel for the passenger though.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #9
Lukeyson
Right out sideways

Wow ....... almost too silly for a darwin award
Old 25-08-2009, 05:04 PM   #10
Iggypoppin'
Chasing a FORD project!

Some older cars you can do a "keybanger", which is shutting off the engine, pumping the accelerator, then turning back on. Anyone with a carby fed car, go try it if you hate your car, and you'll see why this kid might just have been showing off to the chickybabe at the wrong moment..
By the way I don't recomend anyone actually try this. The resultant bang is enough to rip your exhaust off...
Game. Reinvented.

1996 BMW 740iL V8. TV, phone, leather, sunroof, satnav, all as standard. Now with 19" TSW Brooklands, 2 1/2" stainless steel exhaust, plus more coming soon.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #11
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well if that dosnt show the need for more speed cameras over better driver education, I dont know what will
Old 25-08-2009, 05:05 PM   #12
ILLaViTaR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Road_Warrior
Trying to save on petrol it seems!

:-|
Well economy is just so so important, it almost justifies the accident.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:07 PM   #13
EFPWR
B-Series Powered!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TS50
well if that dosnt show the need for more speed cameras over better driver education, I dont know what will
How would a speed camera stop someone turning their car off? O.o
Old 25-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #14
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Love it!
Old 25-08-2009, 05:12 PM   #15
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EFPWR
How would a speed camera stop someone turning their car off? O.o
sorry, you missed my sarcasim
Govt answer to any accident is to isntall more speed cameras
they havent figured out that dosnt stop accidents and improve peoples ability behind the wheel
Old 25-08-2009, 05:33 PM   #16
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

The driving test teaches you how to do a three point turn, reverse park and navigate the road for 45 minutes. What is needed here is more education about cars.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:37 PM   #17
4Vman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILLaViTaR
How have you escaped Darwins influence for so long?

Old 25-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #18
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
well if that doesn't show the need for more speed cameras over better driver education, I don't know what will
Nyuk nyuk, you cynic you:-)
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Old 25-08-2009, 05:42 PM   #19
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Will they have to put warning labels on cars that says 'do not remove key while driving'?
Old 25-08-2009, 05:45 PM   #20
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Umm.... your gunna have to explain that one. Or is it just me that doesn't get it?
Old 25-08-2009, 05:48 PM   #21
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
Umm.... your gunna have to explain that one. Or is it just me that doesn't get it?
Sarcasm, that is all it is. . . . . .
Old 25-08-2009, 05:54 PM   #22
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Simply remarkable.......... There must be at least some truth to all those rumours about Taswegions!

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Old 25-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #23
burnz
VFII SS UTE

frank drebin police squad. (tasmainian)
drebin: anagram = inbred
Old 25-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #24
TS50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hey be nice
not all tasmanians are darwins
Old 25-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #25
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz
frank drebin police squad. (tasmainian)
drebin: anagram = inbred
Bwa haha ha - that's gold

Well pickle me granmother - I've seen & heard a bit, but this sad story surely takes the cake for blatant stupidity :togo:
Old 25-08-2009, 06:26 PM   #26
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What a moron. No other way to say it.

Engine off = No power steering, no brake booster.

(shakes head)
Old 25-08-2009, 06:28 PM   #27
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Why couldn't the kid just chuck it in neutral and coast round the bend like a sain person.
Old 25-08-2009, 06:32 PM   #28
platinumXR
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter.

...I...dunno what to say...um... :sm_drool:

Toys:
2017.5 LZ Focus RS, Magnetic Grey my new pocket rocket
2008 BF2 RTV Ute
1993 EB2 S-XR8 Sedan, Platinum, manual (now sold)
1975 XB Fairmont GS Sedan, Tropic Gold...or Starlight Blue...not sure yet...(SOLD)
Old 25-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #29
HUNTER8

Makes you wonder what he had intended to do once he was around the bend.................restart the engine?????
Old 25-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #30
torbirdie

Baffled! Im guessing the events of what happened are according to the surviving passengers.

I wonder if we got the whole story on what happened, did he turn the engine off and then had trouble restarting it and then perhaps turned the lock back to far and engaged the steering lock and then was wrestling with it and then the collision where the keys fell all the way out....who knows.

I can sense perhaps this will throw a new design rule for new cars upon us all, steering lock shouldnt be able to be engaged or keys removed when the vehicle is moving. I know on the nissan xtrail, you cant get the key out of the ignition unless the vehicle is in park......took me a while to work that one out.
Closed Thread