Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 08-01-2015, 09:19 PM   #1
imbhvn

Default Au series 1 issue! No gears! HELP please

Hey guys, got an au series 1 wagon (work horse) Automatic transmission

Its just clicked over to 400,000 ks

Once it warms up it loses gears (gets stuck in 3rd im guessing)

Also, the cooling system gets no pressure and the top radiator hose is quite hotter than the lower 1.

Ive replaced the waterpump, Radiator, Thermostat and Temp sensor.

The temperature guage sits between the n + o but the car feels hotter....

Anyone know of any fixs or what the problem may be?

I dont want to go out and buy a transmission if its not the problem.

Thanks in advance,

Tim.
imbhvn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2015, 10:03 PM   #2
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 
Default Re: Au series 1 issue! No gears! HELP please

Hi Tim, if it's in limp mode, consider getting a ecu scan done by a trusted local mechanic or SuperCheap etc. It'll tell you exactly what the problem is, no guessing. I'm wondering if you bled the cooling system properly with the heater on hot & fan dialed on max? Do your radiator fan's work properly at idle when the motor is up to temp?

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 08-01-2015, 10:27 PM   #3
imbhvn

Thanks for the reply mate, cooling system was definately bled.

As for the fans, they are constantly running at all times but not as hard as they should, if i disconnect the temp sensor then they come on full.
Old 09-01-2015, 08:40 AM   #4
portokatsiki

I would check the inhibitor switch on the box it's only about 70 bucks if you need to change it. I don't think the cooling system would effect it unless the radiator is blocked and doesn't cool the transmission .
portokatsiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
mif73
CNC fixer guy

You might see a Trans overheat signal (either real or false) with an ECU scan.
That will also put it into limp home mode (stuck in 3rd etc).
Good luck.
Weekend Toy: S1 AU Fairlane V8 with LTD bits, Tickford 17" wheels, front and rear chin spoilers, series 2 front brake conversion with Super pro bushes, Pacemaker headers, rear muffler removed, Kings/Pedders lowered suspension, Koni adj rears, painted headlight bezels, HR 2300kg hitch, 2 stage shift kit, trans cooler, reverse cam and media player.

Wife unit's : 2010 update FG XR6, reverse cam, HR 2300kg Hitch, German Maestro speakers, parcel shelf sub, trimmed mudflaps, batman stickers.
mif73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-01-2015, 01:34 PM   #6
imbhvn

Okay so the scan would need to be done whilst in limp mode? Or at any time? My partners brother works at ford so he could most likely bring the scan tool home.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:25 PM   #7
imbhvn

Hey guys im yet to get a scan done but i have done a test to see if the pump is gone in the tranny and i have ruled that out of the question, although when i done the test the oil was a dark black colour, is it possible that the transmission would just need a service and thats all the problem is? Im not sure when its last service was as i only bought the car mid last year. Ive also re flushed and bled the cooling system 3 times and reset the ecu (disconnecting battery overnight) any help is appreciated thanks.
Old 13-01-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by imbhvn View Post
Hey guys im yet to get a scan done but i have done a test to see if the pump is gone in the tranny and i have ruled that out of the question, although when i done the test the oil was a dark black colour, is it possible that the transmission would just need a service and thats all the problem is?
Sounds like that's the original Trans oil.

Pretty sure Auto Trans oil is meant to be Red
Old 13-01-2015, 11:35 AM   #9
Maka
Au Falcon = Mr Reliable

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Embodiment of the AFF spirit in his efforts with ACP. 

A couple of Au owner's i know of have changed out the black transmission fluid while in limp mode & the transmission started working properly again, hope that's the case with your AU. Btr's are known to be sensitive to worn out transmission fluid. Good luck with it!

cheer's, Maka

Proud owner of a optioned keeper S1 Tickford Falcon AU XR6 VCT - "it's actually a better-balanced car than the XR8, goes almost as hard and uses about two-thirds of the fuel" (Drive.com 2007)
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2015, 05:45 PM   #10
imbhvn

Cheers for the replies will hopefully get around to it this weekend! Hard doing work on a car you need everyday for work :(
Old 17-01-2015, 04:47 PM   #11
imbhvn

Okay, well, i just done the filter and oil in the trans and the problem remains. Although i didnt do a complete oil change (torque convertor line and rad) im not sure what else the problem may be? Looks like i really need to get this scan done!
Old 17-01-2015, 10:41 PM   #12
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

400 K and bad oil , one sure fix is rebuild time . Anything else you are throwing good $$ away trying to patch this one up.
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-02-2015, 09:49 AM   #13
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can also guarantee the s5 solenoid will be stuffed , i had my el trans serviced , the oil was black as , had it serviced , had the s5 replaced and it died two weeks later , get a second hand trans from a wrecker making sure all the oil was drained , that way you get brand new oil.