Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 22-04-2008, 01:45 PM   #1
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Default AU king spring lows & shocks

Hey guys

I know this topic has been discussed many times and I have trawled through the forums for info, but I am after some definitive answers.

I am looking to put King Spring lows on my AUIII SR and after reading on the forums I am pretty sure I could get away with the stock shockies for now. Does anyone know whether or not I will need short throw shocks though? If so, any recommendations, part nos. etc? The general feeling I get is that lowering the car will kill off the factory shocks faster.

Also, does anyone have any comments about the king springs? I have heard that they are a little firm compared to say a set of low tickford ones. BTW, has anyone used the Nolathane bushes kit for an AU? I have seen them advertised for about 600 and am wondering if they are worth the investment?

AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 03:04 PM   #2
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Stock length shocks should be fine with Tickford XR height or King Lows. Any lower and you should go the short shocks.

I have XR springs on my S2 SR and they work well with Pedders shocks, but I suspect that the Kings items are actually a little softer. I've been for a few rides in Evan's AU (ClassicAU) which has the same shocks with Kings and his ride is much smoother over bumps etc.

Kings apparently do a low height but progressive rate spring. Might be worth giving them a ring.

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-04-2008, 03:53 PM   #3
HLC
Audi S3

i have king lows in my fairmont and my shocks are shagged.

granted they have 160 000 kays on them, and about 20 000, in fact, prolly closer to 30 000, of those have been under king lows. but the ride is less than desirable.

by that i dont mean uncomfortable. the car is noticeably stiffer, but it can get a bit crashy so to speak over bumps and corners at speed. im sure the live axle doesnt help.

when i go to superlow height, i'll get matching shocks so my ride will be somewhat better
Old 23-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #4
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

HLC I wouldn't be waiting any longer - change your shocks ASAP. They really should've been done 80,000 km ago.

The King Lows will feel a little firmer as they are a progressive rate spring as opposed to a constant rate spring for the XR's.
Old 23-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #5
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

With King there is a Comfort option on their springs (except for superlows), so you could get Low Comforts if you're worried about ride quality. As far as shocks go I would highly recommend Boge, they're incredible value for money. I got away with King Superlows and Boge short-throw shocks for ~$900 installed. Ride is excellent. Good luck with it, Matt.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
HLC I wouldn't be waiting any longer - change your shocks ASAP. They really should've been done 80,000 km ago.

The King Lows will feel a little firmer as they are a progressive rate spring as opposed to a constant rate spring for the XR's.
$$$$$ my friend. if i had the cash to burn they would have been changed when i changed the springs.

hopefully ill have the cash to change springs and shocks by the end of the year. :
Old 24-04-2008, 01:23 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

So what is the lifespan of a shock.
I'd hate to be replacing them every 80,000km a Dark Horse mentioned.
Surely aftermarket items last a little longer than the factory items too.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 07:35 AM   #8
BOON250

I have king lows and KYBs and they are fine both in ride quality and handling....

BOON250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 08:19 AM   #9
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

Does anyone know if the heavy duty options for the rears on the lows and superlows are actually firmer than the normal ones? I suspect that these are used by ppl who tow trailers etc.
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 08:29 AM   #10
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I can tell you that in my cars current configuration, the ride is very firm. I currently have Pedders Comfort Ryder gas shocks and King Springs. The front has 'Low' springs and standard height shocks, with the rear having 'Super Low' springs and Shortened shocks to suit. There was a noticeable firming of the ride when I lowered the back of the car. Then again, I do have 18" wheels and 40 profile tyres, which I am sure doesn't help!
So if you go the Kings, especially in Super Low, you will have a firmer ride. Handles like its on rails though, almost no body roll anymore! You will need to make a choice between ride quality and handling/looks. I don't think you can really have both as far as I know.

Evan
ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 10:13 AM   #11
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
With King there is a Comfort option on their springs (except for superlows), so you could get Low Comforts if you're worried about ride quality. As far as shocks go I would highly recommend Boge, they're incredible value for money. I got away with King Superlows and Boge short-throw shocks for ~$900 installed. Ride is excellent. Good luck with it, Matt.
This is the setup I plan to do in future.

Tell me Matt, do your passengers complain of the harsh rise in the back seat of your car?

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #12
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
So what is the lifespan of a shock.
I'd hate to be replacing them every 80,000km a Dark Horse mentioned.
Surely aftermarket items last a little longer than the factory items too.
Aftermarket ones and the shocks in the XR's certainly will, I'm more than sure HLC is running the stock shocks though and usually by 80-100,000 km, they're cactus.
Old 24-04-2008, 03:33 PM   #13
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Horse
Aftermarket ones and the shocks in the XR's certainly will, I'm more than sure HLC is running the stock shocks though and usually by 80-100,000 km, they're cactus.
spot on.
Old 24-04-2008, 07:29 PM   #14
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueoval
This is the setup I plan to do in future.

Tell me Matt, do your passengers complain of the harsh ride in the back seat of your car?
I haven't had a complaint yet. It's a firmer ride than the old Fairmont suspension, over dodgy roads etc, but driving normally it's beautiful. Like Evan said, they handle a LOT better when lowered, especially with decent shocks, there's very minimal body roll.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 08:27 PM   #15
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattp
Just booked my car in at Fulcrum to have this set up done, 6 May, costing me $807 with AFF discount of 10% including rotation and balance so fingers crossed it will give me a more comfortable ride then my current low springs (don't know the exact terminology but 50mm lower than standard XR ride height) with XR shocks. Can't wait, will let you know the outcome
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Next mods: extractors
fipcee is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 08:50 PM   #16
scrivens
quarter pane

Quote:
Originally Posted by UQIceman
BTW, has anyone used the Nolathane bushes kit for an AU? I have seen them advertised for about 600 and am wondering if they are worth the investment?
Had my NC V8 Fairlane done with them all round and intend getting the AU2 done in another 25,000km when it hits the 100,000km mark and I replace all the shocks and springs. Nice and firm and they last very well. The NC's Nolathanes were still in excellent nick with around 110,000km on them when I sold it. I was quoted about $450 for the AU2, but that is from a place that has been working on my cars for many years. (Same place that did the NC, around $350 at the time.)
scrivens is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-04-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fipcee
Just booked my car in at Fulcrum to have this set up done, 6 May, costing me $807 with AFF discount of 10% including rotation and balance so fingers crossed it will give me a more comfortable ride then my current low springs (don't know the exact terminology but 50mm lower than standard XR ride height) with XR shocks. Can't wait, will let you know the outcome
so you did get the discount mate? well done. 10% is better than a slap in the face. got to be happy with that. ;)

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 27-04-2008, 07:26 PM   #18
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
so you did get the discount mate? well done. 10% is better than a slap in the face. got to be happy with that. ;)
Yea mate, REAL happy, thanks
Liquid silver AUIII XR6, BA scuff plates with Tickford inserts, proudly displaying AU falcon.com stickers, lowered, K&N panel filter with wide mouth snorkle, 2 1/2 exhaust and hi flo cat, Illusion mags, slotted and drilled rotors.
Old 28-04-2008, 01:05 AM   #19
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Yea mate, REAL happy, thanks
Awesome, so its fitted is it? How does it ride, give us details?

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1975 Honda Civic
Old 28-04-2008, 04:36 PM   #20
fipcee
not so stock

Quote:
Awesome, so its fitted is it? How does it ride, give us details?
Car gets done 6th May blueoval so once I've taken it for a cruise over the roads I normally drive that are rough as I'll post my impressions up then. I may be wrong but I guess there may be a slight settling in period BUT the way my car rides at the moment (particularly in the rear) I would "expect" to notice an improvement immediatley. Stayed tuned, 7 and a bit days to go..damn I hate this mod bug, the car was stocko 2 yrs ago :
Old 28-04-2008, 04:54 PM   #21
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Quote:
Car gets done 6th May blueoval so once I've taken it for a cruise over the roads I normally drive that are rough as I'll post my impressions up then. I may be wrong but I guess there may be a slight settling in period BUT the way my car rides at the moment (particularly in the rear) I would "expect" to notice an improvement immediatley. Stayed tuned, 7 and a bit days to go..damn I hate this mod bug, the car was stocko 2 yrs ago :
haha yeah I promised the mrs I would keep my car stock. I dont like my chances for too much longer. :P

I'll ask again a few days after the 6th of may then mate. ;)

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont