Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-12-2011, 11:06 AM   #1
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Default Locals Beg Police to Stop Bridal Burnouts

Taken from Herald Sun Website:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/mor...-1226221292205

Quote:
A POTENTIALLY deadly bridal car burnout has left a family fuming after 18 months of trying to get authorities to deal with a hoon.
Video of the ear-splitting antics shows wedding party members - including the bride - engulfed in a plume of smoke as a car decked with bridal ribbon does a tyre-shredding burnout outside a children's park in a residential street.

Wedding guests can be seen taking photos before they disappear from view as the souped-up red Holden lays down duel 60m strips of smoking rubber before disappearing into a garage.

The video was filmed this month by a family in the northwestern suburb of Taylors Hill, who have been trying for more than a year to get authorities to act against car hoons.

They released the footage a day after the Herald Sun revealed dangerous and noisy drivers were what we hate most about our neighbourhoods.

An earlier video shot by the family shows a hotted-up green Torana - also visible in the wedding video - doing a tyre-screaming burnout across the street and into the same garage, forcing a passing car to brake and stop outside the house.

"Gina" said her home would shake and rattle when the hoon was active.

"I have lost count of how many times we and neighbours have rung the police and even handed them video and still nothing has been done," she said.

Gina said it was a joke for police to claim they were "very focused" on taking hoons off the road, given the buck passing they had encountered: "Don't ring us, ring the hoon line. Same with the EPA about the car noise - don't ring us, report it to the police. Then police say ring the EPA.

"What do you do? I know the police are busy, but this has been an ongoing issue.

"Seriously, when is someone going to put their money where their mouth is and really start doing something about the problem?"

A woman at the home where the hoon car is garaged yesterday said she was the owner of a red Holden and a green Torana, but knew nothing about the tyre tracks leading to her driveway.

Neighbour Sibe Sulejmini told the Herald Sun today she had asked the council to act saying motorists were terrorising the neighbourhood.

She said the council put in a speed monitoring device and was shocked at its reaction.

"They said it was not fast enough and they can't do anything about it," Mrs Sulejmini said.

"It's not safe, it feels scary. Cars going fast - they just go crazy."

She estimated some drivers and motorbike riders clocked speeds of up to 100km/h in the 50km/h zone.

Another neighbour said residents had moved out of George St because the hooning became unbearable.

The mother-of-two was now fuming that she wasn't informed about the potentially killer drivers on her neighbourhood.

"This is just mad and we are terrified," she said.

"Something needs to be done."

A police spokeswoman said police were gathering additional information about the wedding incident.

She said that all allegations of hoon behaviour were taken seriously and urged people to call Crime Stoppers on 1800 333 000 or 000 in cases where hoon behaviour was putting lives at risk
Discuss??

Old 14-12-2011, 11:14 AM   #2
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Locals Beg Police to Stop Bridal Burnouts

Discuss?

Translation;

I wonder how much of a furore and keyboard warrior lynch party this will evolve into......

Obviously by your opening post you have no opinion on this so it can't be important.

CLOSED

Re-opened at request of OP.

Please lets keep this on topic and not let it devolve into a lynch party....

Last edited by flappist; 14-12-2011 at 11:44 AM.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
xe351
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

hhmm, while i appreciate a good burnout - time and place, built-up housing areas are not the place for it and i believe these actions do more harm to the car community which will in the end make it harder for anyone not driving a camry

Twin Horns 8-9/74 and lower horn dated 7-8/74, GT hubcaps. GT aircleaner. Please pm me if you can help
xe351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

I'm not usually a troll or fire-starter but was kinda curious about opinions on the issue (there are quite interesting responses within the comments on the HS website)

I know that AFF does not promote or condone public displays of burnouts, but I was honestly interested in opinions about this.

I am an ex wedding car chauffeur, driving high powered muscle cars, and was CONSTANTLY asked about this as a driver - but for reasons I could never understand??

I kinda sit on the fence for Burnouts...
Burnouts are very misunderstood - generally low speed manouvers, and low impact when they go wrong on the roads (i'm not talking about dragstrip/event incidents with purpose built drag cars)...

But I've never understood why people think they should be associated with Weddings/Funerals/etc?

What is the GO?
And why are Burnouts so misunderstood?
Old 14-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #5
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

I think the article speaks for itself. My opinion is that its not a matter of whether the police can do anything, its a matter of that they "should".

I also agree with the idea that this sort of behaviour only fuels the idea of only allowing whitegoods as cars. (not that it would solve the problem by doing that, but thats what some people believe)
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 11:59 AM   #6
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its just an attention seeking thing and a way to blow off steam, whether excitement or grief.

So they've done one burnout for a wedding, the article seems to make out they're doing it constantly - which could potentially cause death? (lol)

Quote:
"It's not safe, it feels scary. Cars going fast - they just go crazy."
Sounds ridiculous, who honestly speaks like that?

Its a sensationalised story about a family of car enthusiasts who misguidedly celebrated their wedding in a way that they enjoy - unfortunately it was against the law and a couple of neighbours didn't like the noise and marks on the road. Now a news agency has video proof that everyone will want to watch because most people love a good burnout - great for ratings - and then sensationalize it in a way to demonize the car enthusiasts.
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:00 PM   #7
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
I think the article speaks for itself. My opinion is that its not a matter of whether the police can do anything, its a matter of that they "should".
See Scotty85 - this is why I'm interested in people's opinion.

With the footage provided (on the HS website) who do you charge?
You can't prove who was driving the car - all you could do would be impound the car under the hoon laws - perhaps??
(If the burnout was done in the driveway - private property - then do the hoon laws apply?)

Which may be exactly the reason why Police don't persue such cases...
It would take up time, resources, and money to follow it up - and very difficult to charge or punish anyone involved?

Police are very often in a no-win situation... They can't be seen to be doing nothing... but if they do something and nothing happens... then they're not doing a good enough job?
Old 14-12-2011, 12:02 PM   #8
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by loftie
(If the burnout was done in the driveway - private property - then do the hoon laws apply?)
Yes. Hoon laws apply.

And I believe the owners of the vehicles pictured will be pursued. It has happened before with youtube videos.

Hope the proverbial "book" gets thrown at them. I will even donate a set of Encyclopedia Brittanicas (circa 1983) for the cause!
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #9
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

even the straightest dudes i've done a wedding for.. cheered like ten year olds when i've dropped a big skid.. all part of the service....
pottery beige is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #10
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
And why are Burnouts so misunderstood?
because people are lead to believe they are the devils work....

a good proper, celebratory skid with a decent car should only take a matter of seconds...

up on the limiter, up in the gears and go... done..

unlike some fw P plater in his pos out the front of your house at 3am for 10 or 15 mins......
Old 14-12-2011, 12:19 PM   #11
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Unfortunately the burnouts which turn into donuts is where it all goes south.

I wont go to the trouble of linking articles where cars have ploughed and killed innocent bystanders or people minding their own business
Old 14-12-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Rodp
Regular Schmuck

Summernats, I'll sit there for hours watching burnouts and cheering like a bogan. On a residential street, it's just not the time or place for one.

It's not due to the 'potential deadliness' of it.. sensationalist media at its finest. I don't want to be disturbed by excessive noise, smoke and black unsightly marks on my street every weekend.
Rodp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:28 PM   #13
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

If you look at the footage, it looks like a fixed monitoring cam. It makes me wonder whether she is one of those neighbours that film everything on the street looking for offenders. The type of person who whinges at the drop of a hat while video taping your kids going to school.
If hooning and burnouts on her street were such a problem, why was there only the fresh marks from the wedding day? She is just as much a pest in the street as those who make a bit of noise or have hot cars. I hate vigilante pests who are on the phone to the police at the slightest noise. It is no wonder the police ignore her
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #14
Kryton

Bogan wedding.
Nothing more needs to be said.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #15
XR6_661
Cane Farmer

The beige sisters of pre-menstrual agony strike again!

1994 ED XR6T - Cobalt Blue.

2009 FG XR6 - Black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tex
I couldn't give a crap how many are in their family, what gay passtimes they paticipate in, or whether they have a cat, dog or a freaken fish.

Keep your stinking family to yourself god damn it.
XR6_661 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:32 PM   #16
auxr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

All well and good for a burnout in the middle of suburbia WTF - time and place for everything - but lets get real, if your young child is taking a walk along the footpath and some V8 super car hero gets it all wrong, I think many people may have a different viewpoint on a persons right to drop a skid.

On the other hand, if your street is full of black burnout marks, and you had these type of people as neighbours twenty four hours a day - what would you do.
auxr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:36 PM   #17
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by auxr
All well and good for a burnout in the middle of suburbia WTF - time and place for everything - but lets get real, if your young child is taking a walk along the footpath and some V8 super car hero gets it all wrong, I think many people may have a different viewpoint on a persons right to drop a skid.
I would prefer someone doing a skid than an geriatric with a time-bomb ticker with cataracts and uncontrolled diabetes driving down my street with the kids on it. I think you will find the stats indicate your scenario is far safer and has occurred on far fewer occasions than the geriatric driver killing someone.
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
Old 14-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #18
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP owner
I would prefer someone doing a skid than an geriatric with a time-bomb ticker with cataracts and uncontrolled diabetes driving down my street with the kids on it. I think you will find the stats indicate your scenario is far safer and has occurred on far fewer occasions than the geriatric driver killing someone.
yep... people like my old man getting around on his prescription pills moggied off his head.........
Old 14-12-2011, 12:41 PM   #19
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
yep... people like my old man getting around on his prescription pills moggied off his head.........
And an accident rate plus injury rate only equal to those 18-24, yet they are untouchable because they don't speed
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 14-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #20
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

The problem is the residents haven't contacted ACA yet. Aha!

The one thing I gathered from this story is Taylors Hill seems like a safe haven for hoons, and I'm not giving anyone any ideas.
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:46 PM   #21
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

"time and place" exactly.

i love a burn out as much as the next guy but you dont sh%t where you sleep
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:49 PM   #22
Windsor342ci
The Experience...

This is interesting.
Personally for a wedding, providing bride and groom accept, I think its great. Nothing like building a car for over the past couple of yrs for your big day to do a burnout when leaving the reception. Controlled enviroment and driver is key imo.
Windsor342ci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 12:52 PM   #23
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Unfortunately the burnouts which turn into donuts is where it all goes south.

I wont go to the trouble of linking articles where cars have ploughed and killed innocent bystanders or people minding their own business
I beg to differ... There are plenty of incidents where cars have ploughed into people - yes... generally speed related incidents where cars have gone out of control... not specifically burnouts....

Again - a burnout is a low velocity manouver... and I'm not talking about powerskidding, drifting, etc...

If you got a radar gun out, how fast do you think Gary Myers heads down the track at the Summernats?? 5km/h? 10km/h? Even when the car whips around (and we're talking a purpose built high HP burnout car) the actual velocity that the rear of the car whips around would not be very high... Probably less than 40km/h... which is the deemed acceptable speed to drive past a school... When Johnny the Hoon whips his full *** VN SS into hoops, it will whip less than a Summernats Entrant... You get the point...

I'm not trying to justify that burnouts are 'ok' but what I am saying is they are demonised as someone said previously, and often mistaken for something else... (by non car enthusiasts)

Doing a line/locker down the street in a V8 Torana is very different to trying to drift around a 90degree bend at 100km/h in an R33 Skyline...
Sure - you'll hear high revs and skids... and see smoke and black lines...
But both very different...
Old 14-12-2011, 12:53 PM   #24
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falc'man
The problem is the residents haven't contacted ACA yet. Aha!

The one thing I gathered from this story is Taylors Hill seems like a safe haven for hoons, and I'm not giving anyone any ideas.
Taylors Hill - actually backs onto Calder Park raceway... ;)
Old 14-12-2011, 12:55 PM   #25
Falc'man
You dig, we stick!

Quote:
Taylors Hill - actually backs onto Calder Park raceway... ;)
Taylors Hill - is Calder Park raceway's skid pad... ;)
Falc'man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-12-2011, 01:04 PM   #26
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I beg to differ... There are plenty of incidents where cars have ploughed into people - yes... generally speed related incidents where cars have gone out of control... not specifically burnouts....

Again - a burnout is a low velocity manouver... and I'm not talking about powerskidding, drifting, etc...
Beg to differ all you want loftie. Your theoretical assumption/projection of low velocity "whiping" is flawed

Think back to an incident at Williamstown Beach a few years back . A donut killed an innocent bystander ( little girl from memory)

This WAS a burnout
Old 14-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #27
RedHotGT
Long live the Falcon GT

Quote:
Beg to differ all you want loftie. Your theoretical assumption/projection of low velocity "whiping" is flawed

Think back to an incident at Williamstown Beach a few years back . A donut killed an innocent bystander ( little girl from memory)

This WAS a burnout
I'm not saying it can't happen - of course it can.... and has... and most likely will in the future...

But more people would be killed by being eaten by a shark, than killed by someone doing a burnout...
Old 14-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #28
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The problem with burnouts for most people is the perceived riskiness, and the NOISE. It is the noise of high revving that upsets most people. It says as much in the article that it is what is the most annoying aspects of suburbia. So the problem is actually a social one, not a road safety issue, which is why the anti-hoon laws fail
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush

Old 14-12-2011, 01:18 PM   #29
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

This WAS a burnout
sounds like it wasnt the right place or time.. not the act of....
Old 14-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #30
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

So if someone gets shot in the face....Is it a case of wrong place, wrong time not the act of?

Clutching at straws big time Mitch!