Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 05-07-2005, 11:40 AM   #1
EA1191

Default Starter Inhibit switch

Does the starter inhibit switch serve any useful purpose on an automatic?
Old model cars did not have them and there were stories of cars using the starter to move the car a short distance.
The engine sometimes does not turn over on the first turn of the key and suspect there are poor contacts in the solenoid circuit.
Thinking of shorting it out. Shorted the Steering Pressure switch and maybe saved some fuel.

EA1191 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:21 PM   #2
BJ
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EA1191
Does the starter inhibit switch serve any useful purpose on an automatic?
Old model cars did not have them and there were stories of cars using the starter to move the car a short distance.
The engine sometimes does not turn over on the first turn of the key and suspect there are poor contacts in the solenoid circuit.
Thinking of shorting it out. Shorted the Steering Pressure switch and maybe saved some fuel.
I hate to tell you but older cars do have an inhibiter switch, it is there so as the car will not start in gear, it is a safeyt device. The steering switch is there to tell the engine what revs it need when the power steering is used.The fuel savings would not be that great.
BJ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 12:43 PM   #3
mockgt

my inhibitor switch went on mine and i had to get under the bonnet to bypass it to start the car. nearly ran myself over once.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-07-2005, 06:54 PM   #4
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Even if you shorted it, it won't be able to move the car with the starter motor, there won't be enough pressure in the valve body to engage a gear.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post