Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 16-02-2006, 02:22 PM   #1
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

Default "Pop Plates" - new from Vicroads

Vic members may be interested in this; I followed a link on Autotrader and it seems there is yet another 'custom' plate option from Vicroads. They call it Pop Plates for some reason. It basically means for $99, your stock plates can be purchased with 1 of 14 different background colours. Slimline costs an extra $10.70 per plate. Details at:

Vicroads

Very tempting...

ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #2
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

its a good idea but wouldnt it make it more likely for plates to be stolen??

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 02:31 PM   #3
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

I saw that, but i mean seriously, if you're going to pay for plates, why on earth would you want to pay for generic plates which mean nothing, unless you're lucky enough to have one like [SIX.006] for an xr6 etc..
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 02:47 PM   #4
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

ghto, not sure if that would be a factor, especially if they are colour matched to a particular car..

fantz, that's one way of looking at it, or else you could say you get all the aesthetic benefits of full custom plates without the **** factor or $400+ price tag.

I just ordered a navy blue pair for the Eunos (slimline for the front). I'll post pics when they arrive.
Old 16-02-2006, 02:57 PM   #5
-jjM-
Banned

id rather get it customed, colours look ight

that girl is ugly :S even with different colours :S
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 03:02 PM   #6
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
its a good idea but wouldnt it make it more likely for plates to be stolen??
I’ve had plates that stick out like the dogs proverbial, for 2yrs, and no they don’t get stolen. In fact I’d have-it-a-guess that personalized plates are LESS frequently stolen. I’m assuming here that stolen plates are primarily used for servo runners and crime’s involving vehicles. On that basis personalized plates are a definite no-go-zone.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouty
ghto, not sure if that would be a factor, especially if they are colour matched to a particular car..

fantz, that's one way of looking at it, or else you could say you get all the aesthetic benefits of full custom plates without the **** factor or $400+ price tag.

I just ordered a navy blue pair for the Eunos (slimline for the front). I'll post pics when they arrive.
You calling those with custom plates w4ankers ? :P
Old 16-02-2006, 04:25 PM   #8
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
They are aren't they?

Old 16-02-2006, 05:26 PM   #9
Gubas
- BOOYEH -

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantz
Those with stupid ones, like me
Old 16-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #10
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubas
Those with stupid ones, like me
my plates have always been a simple representation of the car, or in my current case, an expression of how bright the colour is ;p
Old 16-02-2006, 05:56 PM   #11
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Mine are getting ordered next week. I've got future issue plates for the XB. They will look much better in black and white and without The place to be on them. Ghey.

Custom plates are what? $400? Well all up this set will of cost me $265. Custom plates = copbait.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 05:59 PM   #12
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
Mine are getting ordered next week. I've got future issue plates for the XB. They will look much better in black and white and without The place to be on them. Ghey.

Custom plates are what? $400? Well all up this set will of cost me $265. Custom plates = copbait.
Personalised are $195. Eg. XD1980 etc, more for different colours. Custom are $395 and number letter mix are $495.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:04 PM   #13
Jokers Wild
ANYWHERE ANYTIME

Quote:

So does that means you have half the W4nk factor ?

Quote:
Psycho Chicken Custom plates = copbait
. Rubbish
Jokers Wild is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 06:12 PM   #14
Psycho Chicken
Banned

No rubbish. Custom plates make a car stand out, like it or not. That's the whole idea of them.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:27 PM   #15
Damo
Banned

how does having your plates stand out make you cop bait ? Unless your car is cop bait allready (ie really low, or too loud) than i doubt it would make any differance.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 06:33 PM   #16
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Of course it makes a difference. If a cop sees two lowered cars with big wheels and a loud exhaust next to each other, one with standard plates and one without, which do you think he'll go for?

And to add to that, coloured plates stand out big time. It'll make them look twice. Why else to NSW cars stick out like dogs balls?

I know plenty of people who have put plates on and been harrased heaps more after it.

Of course I'm only really refering to car based plates, not those name/age/business/cat's name whatever plates.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:34 PM   #17
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
how does having your plates stand out make you cop bait ? Unless your car is cop bait allready (ie really low, or too loud) than i doubt it would make any differance.
Yeah that's what i've found. Or if you're travelling unusually low under the limit, glancing around nervously when cops are around ;p Plates like ICTRBL (saw it yesterday) etc would arouse suspicious of course, but not something like BA220 or whatever, just compliments the look of the car. Calling people w4nkers for having custom plates is ludicrous, it's personal choice. I'm guessing a good 25% of people here would have some form of custom plate anyway.
Old 16-02-2006, 06:37 PM   #18
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Not fussed about my plates but would like to get some same colour plates as my car!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 06:50 PM   #19
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

And before anyone gets carried away, my words have been twisted. No one was called a 'W4NKER'. Though if you really wanted that as a plate, Vicroads' custom mix plates might be able to help. ;)
Old 16-02-2006, 07:21 PM   #20
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
And before anyone gets carried away, my words have been twisted. No one was called a 'W4NKER'. Though if you really wanted that as a plate, Vicroads' custom mix plates might be able to help. ;)
touche ;p
Old 16-02-2006, 09:18 PM   #21
ON_DUBS
[ON DUBS]

as iiiiiiiiiifffffffff. paint em yourself.

i wouldnt pay that when for 70 bucks more i can have whatever i want out of 7 letters no more to pay
Old 16-02-2006, 10:07 PM   #22
Interceptor'85
Interceptin'

Interesting concept. I guess if your on a budget they'd be a lil something to sproose the caboose up.

I have to say Trouty, when i first read this thread, I thought Vic Roads had come up with Commonwealth Games Plates... heaven forbid!!!
'XA Muscle'

Interceptor'85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-02-2006, 11:10 PM   #23
John_LS1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo

i never get hassled by cops and my car is low, loud and has custom plates.....i think it depends on how you drive....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 06:57 AM   #24
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by EF_Machine
Interesting concept. I guess if your on a budget they'd be a lil something to sproose the caboose up.

I have to say Trouty, when i first read this thread, I thought Vic Roads had come up with Commonwealth Games Plates... heaven forbid!!!
They have come up with Commonwealth games plates ;p
Old 17-02-2006, 09:21 AM   #25
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

My car is low, louder than stock and has personal plates that suggest it might be a V8 and no cop has ever looked twice at my car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-02-2006, 10:00 AM   #26
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiefalcon
as iiiiiiiiiifffffffff. paint em yourself.

i wouldnt pay that when for 70 bucks more i can have whatever i want out of 7 letters no more to pay
Sorry mate, read the rules again.

In SA 7digit custom plates are $240/PER YEAR. It is not a once off fee.

Old 17-02-2006, 10:04 AM   #27
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

I think it's like that in NSW too, in VIC it's a once off fee, then rego at the normal cost per year.
Old 24-02-2006, 08:46 PM   #28
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

:

They arrived today and there have been no stuff-ups from Vicroads. It was almost dark when I got around to taking the pics so bear with me. The colour match to the paint is A1 aside from the plates obviously not being glossy. The plates are edited out as it's just standard issue crap, but nonetheless the difference is clear. A bit of extra airflow at the front too. No regrets at my end.

Before

After

Old and New