Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 27-07-2006, 07:02 PM   #1
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Buying an EF/EL XR6

Hey Guys...

At the moment I have a ef futura and I am looking at upgrading to an XR. I love my car at the moment, but wouldnt mind something with a bit more power, and a manual - autos are a fun as watching grass grow.

At the moment Im leaning towards the EL II. What sort of price should I be looking? Are there any sort of problems i need to look out for? Any other information you think might be worthwhile that would be appreciated.

cheers guys.

mark180227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 09:22 PM   #2
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

any body?
Old 27-07-2006, 09:42 PM   #3
Rob
Living the dream

Mate, maybe you should consider an AU XR, I mean, they're newer and the body will be a bit fresher, also the AU motor is a little more durable and lightweight compared to the E series and you wont pay much more for an AU. Still, not everyone is comfy with the magical, beautiful, sexy shape of the AU Falcon

Seriously though, the 4.0 litre is a frigging tough unit mate. You can tune the bollocks off it and it'll come back for more.

EDIT": I may have had a bit too much brandy. AU's rock.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 09:49 PM   #4
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

have a look on the eseries forum, lots of info there mate, and yeah the manuals are fun!
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 09:55 PM   #5
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh ive thought about an au, but they dont really do anything for me. I like the look of the ef/el's and some of the cars on here are awesome...they have potential. Do the heads go on them like the standard falcons?
Old 27-07-2006, 10:16 PM   #6
Abacus
Life's a Gas

AU XRs have 3 magic initials.

I-R-S

[Edit] Don't get me wrong - E series are great. I had an EL for 5 years - loved it. I still prefer the shape to the AU. But the independent backside on the AU makes a difference for everyday driving.
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 11:08 PM   #7
KUZMIN
Ruski

AU?
I've heard ford own over 100pages worth of faults on them!!...for example the headlights!!
My father in law punches his headlights on his AU ute every morning before he leaves for work
I know the EF will blow a few gaskets..water gaskets, head, exaust, and the clutch went preety fast too!! (this is my mates ef xr6).

Doesnt really help but its a start.

R.I.P. 18-02-06
-----------

1997 Nissan Maxima 3.0 S. Touring-very quick!
KUZMIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2006, 11:44 PM   #8
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUZMIN
AU?
I've heard ford own over 100pages worth of faults on them!!...for example the headlights!!
My father in law punches his headlights on his AU ute every morning before he leaves for work
I know the EF will blow a few gaskets..water gaskets, head, exaust, and the clutch went preety fast too!! (this is my mates ef xr6).

Doesnt really help but its a start.
I've got an EL XR6 - which is mechanically similar to the EF, haven't had an issue with gaskets or the clutch - 120000 kms and still going OK. My old XE I killed the pressure plates of 3 clutches from 200000-270000kms when I owned it. Changed my style a little with the newer car and it's been all good. It's a case of not letting the clutch out too fast.

My EL has never lost any water and oil has only dropped by about 1/4 maximum over 6000kms which is how often I get it serviced. The main issue I've had is the gearbox - the 2nd gear synchro is a little ordinary and hasn't changed much since I got it at 48000kms thanks to the previous owner's abuse of the box I think. The most recent problem as one of the worst I've had is the firewall cracked where the clutch cable went through the firewall - apparently a common problem with the manuals. One cheap thing you can do for the manual versions is to keep a clutch clevis in the glovebox. It's the bit of metal that hooks up the clutch pedal to the cable. Mine broke at 60000kms and I didn't have one and needed a tow as a result. The RACV can fix it on the road if you're not savvy enough or simply don't have tools on hand - but you need the part. It's only worth $2 or $3
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 07:21 AM   #9
MrFlibbles
ill have a beer milkshake

my ef had the clutch bracket on the firewall (under the dash) crack at 130,000 kms and i replaced the clutch at 135,000kms these are the only 2 'problems' i have had with the car. According to the paperwork i have for the car the head has never been off although i have had the cooling system flushed and the car has only ever run proper coolant, i also change the oil and oil filter every 5,000kms but thats just me being fussy!
1969 Isuzu Florian
1976 Chev luv (really its just a rebadged Isuzu!)
1980 Isuzu KB 4x4
MrFlibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 12:10 PM   #10
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just to let you know theres no such thing as an EL2 XR6, Ford officially only realesed the EL2 XR8 with the 185kw motor.

So basically you can get EF, EF2 or EL XR6.

I think there a great car to start off with (im baised obviously :nutsycuck ) but you get the sleek look of the XR and 3.45LSD, 5spd manual, tickford head and ECU are a great platform to start with.

Only problem i have had is the headgasket going, but obviously that happens at least once with every e-series.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 12:47 PM   #11
XR6WGN
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFlibbles
According to the paperwork i have for the car the head has never been off although i have had the cooling system flushed and the car has only ever run proper coolant, i also change the oil and oil filter every 5,000kms but thats just me being fussy!
No harm in that - Mine gets the same treatment and I've had no head gasket issues (just had a service done @ 245,000) although I must look one day at the clutch cable to see if mine has any cracking.

Paul B.
XR6WGN

My Gallery Photos Here
XR6WGN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-07-2006, 02:38 PM   #12
mark180227
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

no worries thanks for that...yeh liking the whole idea of a 5 speed, with lsd. The head gaskets seem to go like the other e-series. Ive got an ef futura at the moment done 220,000km but no head gasket issues as yet. Ill try and sell my car before any major problems start to show, and before it looses too much more value...
Old 28-07-2006, 11:31 PM   #13
pauljh74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FRDXR6
Just to let you know theres no such thing as an EL2 XR6, Ford officially only realesed the EL2 XR8 with the 185kw motor.

So basically you can get EF, EF2 or EL XR6.

I think there a great car to start off with (im baised obviously :nutsycuck ) but you get the sleek look of the XR and 3.45LSD, 5spd manual, tickford head and ECU are a great platform to start with.

Only problem i have had is the headgasket going, but obviously that happens at least once with every e-series.
I think from October 97, an unofficial series 2 was launched - the spec list really just included A/C and the 5 spoke alloy wheels standard

1996 EL XR6 standard features
http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_v...&body=4D+SEDAN

1997/98 EL XR6 standard features
http://www.drive.com.au/buy/market_v...&body=4D+SEDAN
Not bad for a #2 driver
Mark Webber after winning the 2010 British Grand Prix.
pauljh74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2006, 12:59 AM   #14
Abacus
Life's a Gas

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUZMIN
AU?
What's the issue with the AU headlights?

IMO they're the brightest OEM lights I've ever had. Mine are 6 years old, still on the original bulbs, no leaks or discolouration....???
Abacus is offline   Reply With Quote