Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 22-01-2006, 12:03 AM   #1
slippy

Default Alternator or Battery problem in EL XR8. Help haha.

Today my XR wouldn't start, since i got it a few weeks ago, it's always seemed a little hard on the start up. Today it wouldn't even turn over, to the point where it would just click when I turned the key.

I bought a new battery and chucked it in, and started up fine, but i've disconnected the power as I don't want it draining if the alternator is stuffed.

Is there anyway to find out whether it is my battery or the alternator without going to a mechanic? The battery light isn't staying on when I turn the car on, so i'm not too sure.

Help pleeeeease haha.

Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 12:08 AM   #2
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

High idle and disconnect battery...If it stops ..Alternator is NOT charging...The best way is to use mutimeter..On early V8 alternators ..If a cell was dead in battery it would over charge...Check that boot light is turning off???
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 12:12 AM   #3
slippy

So...start the car, and rev the engine out, then just pull the cable off the battery?

Is that even safe?
Old 22-01-2006, 12:29 AM   #4
eav8

do not rev it out. if you remove the earth lead whilst the car is running it should keep running if the alternator is good. If it dies the alternator is likely faulty......Preferably use a multimeter set to 20v DC and place the black lead on the negative terminal of the battery and the red cable to the positive of the battery (while the car is running)and you should get a reading around 14v....If reading is 12v or less then alternator is likely faulty. This will not damage anything.
project #1: Ea series1 Spac conversion to straight gas; 351Cleveland; T5; EB dash; sunroof and more as I get to them. :evilsasmo
Fully road legal and cruising in QLD!!
---------------------------------------------------
Happy dealings with; PROTD, !gn!t!on, Big_waity,Phongus
eav8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 07:56 AM   #5
ilsautomotive
Former E-Series Member

The multimeter method is good.

As for the battery, a simple charger like my 1600 mA Projetca is well worth having. It won't overcharge the battery and prevents the flattening that happens even when it's disconnected. With regular charging, an Exide battery I bought some years ago is still going fine.
ilsautomotive is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 10:59 AM   #6
NZ
~~~

The alternator on youe EL uses the same internals as a 6cyl. If your competent enough you can get a known good 6cyl unit and swap the insides into your V8 alternator housing.
NZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
gthofan
Gunna girlie-man

when an alternator dies, its usually just the voltage regulator. easy change over, just the black box type of thing on the back of the alternator. but some heavy duty and some bosche alternators have the voltage regulators inside the guts, not exposed, and these are un serviceable.

<INSERT WITTY SIGNATURE HERE>

Daily- 05' BA futura... work done.
Cruiser- 85' VK berlina... more work done
gthofan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 02:57 PM   #8
NEG
Diabolus

you should be able to tell if the alternator is dead by looking at the volts guage on the dash.
NEG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 04:47 PM   #9
slippy

Ok, left the battery on over night and it started fine this morning.

Bought a multimeter, and used it on the battery with no stereo but air going and it was 13.70ish, with stereo on it was 13.55ish, and with stereo loud it went to abou 13.40.

I also bought new terminals, cause I think mine were slightly dodgy, but are those readings fine? Meaning the alternator is fine?
Old 22-01-2006, 04:49 PM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthofan
when an alternator dies, its usually just the voltage regulator. easy change over, just the black box type of thing on the back of the alternator. but some heavy duty and some bosche alternators have the voltage regulators inside the guts, not exposed, and these are un serviceable.
except on the V8 altinators (and i think EF/EL6cyl alternators - unsure) the reg isnt serviceable
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 05:06 PM   #11
efgiar
rofl copter

u could wreck the car, and sell me the front conversion stuff ;) haha jk

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-01-2006, 10:18 PM   #12
Brent79

hey slippy... i had a similar problem on my EB. Alternator was charging but if i left the car over night, it would discharge the battery. Reason for this was a stuffed diode in the rectifier. The battery charge was leaking back thu the alternator coil. Try dissconecting the black/white wire from your battery terminal, reconnect it and if u see a spark jump then its a good indication the diode is stuffed.

Brent
Tickford Head and Wade 1004 cam
HP4 Chiptorque chip and XH intake

1992 DC LTD
5LTR DUEL FUEL
Brent79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post