Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 24-08-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Default Slow warm up on AU3

Hi All,

I've searched, and I do remember a thread about this a while ago, but haven't had much luck.

Basically I've noticed that my AU3 I6 seems to take forever to warm up compared to other cars I've owned, or even compared to EF/EL's I've had, as well as the AU2 that I'm driving at the moment.

As the majority of our driving is very short trip stuff, quite often the poor car will go for days without ever really warming up. Meaning that firstly the heater doesn't warm up much during our short drives, and secondly the engine's mostly running cold so it uses alot more fuel that it needs to.

I remember reading something a while ago about a way to speed up the warm up time, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was.
From memory, the particular thread I recall, said that this was an AU3 specific thing.

Any suggestions, as I'm sure alot of people would be interested in ways of changing this?

Thanks,

Justin.

private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 02:51 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Have you checked that your thermostat isn't jammed open ... this is one of the main causes for slow warm-up time.

Make sure you have the correct thermostat as well (as there is LPG specific ones that allow coolant through to stop the LPG freezing) ... and then there's the Motorcraft one for petrol engines as well.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #3
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Have you checked that your thermostat isn't jammed open ... this is one of the main causes for slow warm-up time.

Make sure you have the correct thermostat as well (as there is LPG specific ones that allow coolant through to stop the LPG freezing) ... and then there's the Motorcraft one for petrol engines as well.
Thanks mate, hadn't checked that. I test by removing, and putting the thermostat on the stove in water, and wait for it to open as the water heats don't I?

I'm possibly going LPG shortly, so I might just leave it till then if they're going to be chaing it anyway.
Old 24-08-2007, 02:58 PM   #4
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

yeah ... if jammed open though ... you will see it open when you remove it when cold anyway.

The thermostat starts opening slowly below the 92 deg C mark ... and should be fully open by 92 Deg C ... theoretically.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 02:59 PM   #5
FGII-XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

when you pull it out you might find no guts in it too. there are still idiots around that think the more water flow the better and rip the guts out to stop overheating with a blocked radiator. when the radiator finally gives up the butchered thermostat remains not good :(
FGII-XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 08:25 PM   #6
Dark Horse
_Oo===oO_

The reason for the slower warm up on AUIII is to prevent cracking the radiator. There was a recall on previous series regarding this issue.
Old 24-08-2007, 09:41 PM   #7
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Mine used to take a while to warm up which wasnt a huge problem as i do long distance driving.

Changed the thermostat and problems was solved. Used a genuine Ford Thermostat here, i cant remember how much i paid but i think it was around $30.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 10:36 PM   #8
falzoony
Rockin '67

Same thing happened to my EL. It would never even get into 'normal' on the temperature gauge. Changed the thermostat and it ran fine. I went down to sprints and got an aftermarket one for about $15-20 if my memory is correct.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-08-2007, 10:50 PM   #9
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Thanks for all the advice guys, much appreciated! It does warm up properly once it's been running for a short while, it just seems to take a good few minutes longer than other cars I've had.