Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #1
5L
[ 5L ]

Default excedy or xtreme?

well seeming how my clutch in my xr8 started slipping real bad im in need of a replacement one.

the mob who are doing the job have quoted me on two clutches both around the same price.

first one is an xtreme organic heavy duty clutch i had one in my eb and i could never get the thing to slip.

and the second is an excedy heavy duty clutch which i dont know to much!

or another option i suppose is to put a standard cluch back in it. but i normally upgrade when stuff brakes.

lesson learnt: 4000rpm 2nd gear take offs might be fun an all but the damage bill is not worth it! :eclipsee_

[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
5L is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 01:32 PM   #2
mower243

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUXR8220
well seeming how my clutch in my xr8 started slipping real bad im in need of a replacement one.

the mob who are doing the job have quoted me on two clutches both around the same price.

first one is an xtreme organic heavy duty clutch i had one in my eb and i could never get the thing to slip.

and the second is an excedy heavy duty clutch which i dont know to much!

or another option i suppose is to put a standard cluch back in it. but i normally upgrade when stuff brakes.
Depends on your driving
I tested one with the exy h/duty in traffic Would need to improve leg musles
mower243 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #3
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Excedy is one of the largest manufacturers of clutches in Australia. I've always used them as has my old man.
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #4
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

aslong as you dont get a brass button clutch

and if you have time you can always get one from jim berry (company is called race clutch) makes it to whatever you want and isthe same as an off the shelf if not cheaper in some cases

TS50 Build
mr_xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #5
stiddy
Banned

Get the Daiken Excedy..

Ive got a brass button excedy at the moment, did have a heavy duty organic.
I love the brass button, I wont have anything else again, its lite on the foot, but bites harder than your ex girlfriend. Drives just as easy as any other clutch once you get the hang of it.
The only bad thing I can say about the brassy is that it shockloads the whole driveline, and shockloading is a T5's worst enemy.
stiddy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

What kind of quote did you get AUXR8220?

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 03:33 PM   #7
5L
[ 5L ]

my first post about prices being the same was from what he said, he just phoned up to give the final quotes.

$440 for the xtreme
$560 for the xtreme cushion button

$530 for the excedy
$630 for the excedy cushion button

labour+ machining the flywheel is $360

ive had cars done by this place in the past and normally its cheaper when you are go to pick your car up. they are a good place though and have done one of my previous cars and two of my sisters cars.

they also quoted me on brakes for slotted rotors plus decent pads with new wheel bearings $370 installed.

im just going to get the xtreme clutch for $440 i had the same clutch in my eb and i was happy with it. was in there for about 9 months till i sold the car and it never played up and was easy to drive with.
[ 5L ] 2001 AU series 2 xr8, 220kw, 5speed, leather interior, premium sound, narooma blue, cat back exhaust, k&n filter,willall edit,MSD coil packs, MSD leads, monroe gt gas shocks, superlow kingsprings 187rwkw (mainline)

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 26-07-2007, 04:02 PM   #8
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
Get the Daiken Excedy..

Ive got a brass button excedy at the moment, did have a heavy duty organic.
I love the brass button, I wont have anything else again, its lite on the foot, but bites harder than your ex girlfriend. Drives just as easy as any other clutch once you get the hang of it.
The only bad thing I can say about the brassy is that it shockloads the whole driveline, and shockloading is a T5's worst enemy.
not only that but they bend the sh!t out of your crank

TS50 Build
Old 26-07-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

So whats the difference between a normal and a cushion button clutch? This is something that I only want to do once for a fair while, so I would like something that will last. (sorry to hijack your thread)

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #10
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_xr8
not only that but they bend the sh!t out of your crank
Want to explain how? I cant see how a clutch can bend a crank. Maybe I'm missing the obvious but I cant work that one out.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:10 PM   #11
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

Go for the Extreme cushioned ceramic, it will lift you're wheels off the ground if you have the setup to do so, mine survived plenty of 6500rpm clutch dumps with slicks.
It was a very easy pedal on the street too, enough slip with heaps of bite.
Falcon Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-07-2007, 06:31 PM   #12
5L
[ 5L ]

i just went the cheapest option, and chose to get the brakes done at the same time.
car is booked in on tuesday.

cheers.

www.ignitionimages.com
Old 27-07-2007, 09:18 AM   #13
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
Want to explain how? I cant see how a clutch can bend a crank. Maybe I'm missing the obvious but I cant work that one out.
i thought that too till i saw it first hand

brass button clutch wont engage a flywheel more so smack it putting a forward pressure through the crank. The last time i was at my engine builders he had 4 engine disassembled one had a twin plate the other a heavy duty, and the other two had brass buttons. The twin and heavy duty had no damage to the crank. The brass buttons ones where like this, one was bent 1 degree and the other was beyond repair and had killed the oil pump.

TS50 Build
Old 27-07-2007, 01:12 PM   #14
stiddy
Banned

It does make sence, but bend a crank.... what engines were you looking at out of curiosity?

What about if its a sprung centre, plus mines only a 5 puck button, next to no slip, but there is still a little.. I guess the lightened billet flywheel isnt helping the situation then either LOL.. but it feels so damn good.
well if I bend the crank it gives me a bloody good excuse to rebuild it.
Old 27-07-2007, 03:18 PM   #15
mr_xr8
Capri GT/TS50/GTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiddy
It does make sence, but bend a crank.... what engines were you looking at out of curiosity?

What about if its a sprung centre, plus mines only a 5 puck button, next to no slip, but there is still a little.. I guess the lightened billet flywheel isnt helping the situation then either LOL.. but it feels so damn good.
well if I bend the crank it gives me a bloody good excuse to rebuild it.
even with a sprung centre the damage is the same the sprung centre however does save your syncros a little

these where al rb26dett cranks
but he has also shown me one from a 202 red i think it was and a 302 windsor

TS50 Build
Old 27-07-2007, 06:32 PM   #16
Sledgehammer
Banned

Could you pm me where you are getting the clutch as I need one also.
Sledgehammer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-07-2007, 04:29 PM   #17
stiddy
Banned

Well ive already 1 gearbox down because of the clutch, but the gearbox had a fault. 3rd gear shouldnt be sliding up and down the shaft after its been built lol.
Anywho, new gearbox goes in and if it happens again or this clutch lets go, i'll step down to a Ceramic or a twin plate organic. I just love the on-off feel, the sharpness in bite, and the fact you just cant ride the clutch.