Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 26-08-2009, 02:42 PM   #1
XR8AU2121

Default How good is Fordforums!

My AU1 XR8 recently developed a noisy camshaft synchronizer, (the gismo that sits in the slot where the distributor would have been in the older windsors V8s), when the bearing goes it makes a screeching sqeeking sound like a crook belt or shot pully.

After fronting up to the local Ford Dealer the spare parts man looked up the computer and said yes we can supply a replacement no problems that will be $838 plus another $150 for the plastic sensor cap that sits on the top.

Well after getting up off the floor I came home and did a search on Ford Forums for camshaft synchronizers and located a thread by COPEX in Jul 09 on the Winsor section where he had encounted the same problem with his AU V8 LTD and was horrified at the price Ford was asking, but found that a USA parts distributor www.rockauto.com could supply an after market replacement for $40 + shipping. (The 5lt Windsor EFI V8 was used in the US in 99,98,00,01 Ford Explorers and some other models).

After getting on the the website and double checking that the Ford part number was correct, clicked one into the shopping cart, punched in the visa card number, selected what level of Fedex shipping I wanted, and 5 days later the Fedex man knocked on the door with my parcel. Incidentally I was able to track the whereabouts of the shippment on line at every point right up to when it was put on the truck in Sydney for delivery.

TOTAL COST FOR SYNCHRONIZER + SENSOR CAP, SHIPPING AND EXCHANGE RATE CAME TO $83.

After comparing both parts they looked identical(probably from the same factory), but if the $40 replacement part only lasts half as long as the original I am still well in front.

I also noticed that a member on the Explorer Section of the Forum also had the same experience with Ford Australia for the same part for his 6cylinder Explorer with the asking price well over $500 but got his off Ebay for like $39 + shipping.

With new part safely installed (less than an hours work) the motor is now nice and quiet and running like a dream.

So thanks again to the Forum members, it is an invaluable tool for any Ford owner no matter what model they have.

XR8AU2121 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:26 PM   #2
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Ford wanted just over a grand for rear hub for mine, guys on here helped me out.... got away with $250 for second hand hub and axle, fitted it with myself and a mate thanks to the directions from the folks on here, VERY happy and great community it is indeed
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:33 PM   #3
frd906
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ford wanted 700 bucks for a pair of au head lights, all i wanted was just the casing but they insisted i had to have the looms etc,

but a place in moss street called panal house, wanted 210 for a pair, thats cheap

Posted by Xcabbi, Does it slap or rattle? Rattle is more to do with timing chains and tensioners. Slap is more to do with lifters, rings, bearings or GENIII boat anchors
frd906 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 03:51 PM   #4
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking for the missing "adaptive shift" badge off my xr6's console, all the wreckers would only sell me a full console with the badge in it, and ford service had no clue what I was talking about. Was mucking around in the Technical Docs area and bugger me I found a part number of the badge, went into ford,ordered, and it was there the next day. Not quite as big as yours but I was very impressed. The great thing is no matter what the problem is someone else on here has had it and usually found a fix for it.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 08:09 PM   #5
POELWYK
Lost Boost Gained Class

i like Fordfourms i allmost live on here now. lol full of so much info and like Davo says someone here would of had your prob and posted up the Fix for it
Old 26-08-2009, 08:27 PM   #6
au11futura
ROCKING THE EL FUTURA

lots to learn from the guys and ladys on these forums.

ive had many questions about my ed and au and 99% of the time i come on here and get great advise, i have also made a very good mate from this forum and other friends.

good to hear im not the only one thats found these forums to be great.

My build that was http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11267696

ENVI BA XR6T
BUILD THREAD..http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11345961 TAKEN BY THE EX
NOW A EL FUTURA

EB MONTY NOW IN THE SHED
BACK IN THE E-SERIES

THREAD DIGGEr
au11futura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 09:10 PM   #7
51OAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yea i signed up here awhile ago hanged around for a bit but new sweet fa bout cars, these days im starting to give people advice just after reading alot of stuff that has been posted on here, I built my car off the advice i got off here. Keep it up.
51OAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #8
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I understand your frustration and annoyance at the prices and I won't try to justify Ford's pricing but maybe you could writ to them and explain what you had to go through and your result in getting the part needed for a LOT less $$$ than they wanted. The proper retail figure for your Synchroniser is $730.00 (still too dear) and the Part Number is XL2Z 12A362AA.

Like I said, it couldn't hurt to write them and explain how disgusted you are with the LACK of service from THEM and also the extra work you had to go through to get a part for your AUSTRALIAN built car. Hope that helps .
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 09:09 AM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Ford really spare parts/service really dont care for anyone with a car probably older then a BF so you really wont see them go out of their way. That said my TE is ALWAYS serviced at the dealer and they have always been fantastic. Also helps that the service manager is a T Series nutter.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:15 AM   #10
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

So that makes a horrible screeching sound like a belt gone or bearing hey???

That may solve one issue I have then, I was wondering where that bloody noise was coming from. Cheers.

Off to buy a new one!
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 09:18 AM   #11
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Ford really spare parts/service really dont care for anyone with a car probably older then a BF so you really wont see them go out of their way. That said my TE is ALWAYS serviced at the dealer and they have always been fantastic. Also helps that the service manager is a T Series nutter.
Not necessarily. I've had no trouble getting parts for my EF. My Local Ford dealer has been excellent in that regard.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 09:32 AM   #12
XR8AU2121

RG Just slip the belt off and start the motor. If you grab the top of the synchonizer and try to move it you will notice that the sound changes. If so thats your problem. Obviously without the belt on and the noise remains it can't be the belt or a pully/alt etc.
Old 27-08-2009, 09:39 AM   #13
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR8AU2121
RG Just slip the belt off and start the motor. If you grab the top of the synchonizer and try to move it you will notice that the sound changes. If so thats your problem. Obviously without the belt on and the noise remains it can't be the belt or a pully/alt etc.
I would do that.....if the engine was in the car and running lol.

Might just wait until I get it back and then give it a go, not too hard a job anyway. Although for that money it might be worth just replacing it anyway.
Old 27-08-2009, 10:00 AM   #14
FTE72
Red is nice Mark.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
Where do you get your TE serviced Dallas?
TE 50 #72 Blueprint & TS 50 #105 Blueprint
:
FTE72 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 02:01 PM   #15
Mr_4.0
What Wheelspin?

haha wait till someone has to price a pair of au ser3 headers for a v8. LOL

from memory it 600 bucks PER BANK!

2003 BA Xr6 Turbo (Atomic Long, DTM auto, Nizpro stage2 kit, eaton truetrac, E85, HeadsexTuned)
Mr_4.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 02:09 PM   #16
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_4.0
haha wait till someone has to price a pair of au ser3 headers for a v8. LOL

from memory it 600 bucks PER BANK!
Go price an oxygen (HEGO) sensor from Ford then. Do it, it's worth the laugh.
Old 27-08-2009, 02:54 PM   #17
saber
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
Go price an oxygen (HEGO) sensor from Ford then. Do it, it's worth the laugh.
Lol, I did. $495 for a BFII oxy sensor. I picked the same sensor for roughly $60 from one of the sire sponsors.
saber is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 03:00 PM   #18
Jack91
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by saber
Lol, I did. $495 for a BFII oxy sensor. I picked the same sensor for roughly $60 from one of the sire sponsors.
I only did that today, $380 for one AU XR6 o2 sensor. I laughed, he didnt. Just bought one on ebay for $64 with express post. Though looking close up at the pictures it may be used but its not marked as new or used and comes in a pack so should be right.
Jack91 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 05:22 PM   #19
xr8ute
Back on the road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG
So that makes a horrible screeching sound like a belt gone or bearing hey???

That may solve one issue I have then, I was wondering where that bloody noise was coming from. Cheers.
This part is also responsible for driving the oil pump....you have no oil pressure....maybe oil pump drive shaft is twisted/rooted, causing the bearing in the cam synchronisor to wear out? A side effect of a bigger problem?

Just a thought.

AU XR8 Ute 13.90 @ 100mph - http://www.aufalcon.com/xr8ute
5L Windsor, GT40X heads, Crane 2030, Pacey 4-1s, Lukey 3", 3.91:1, auto. Tuned by me w/Quarterhorse and BinaryEditor.

Coming Soon: Ported lower intake, Tickford "Premium" Brakes, and a good wash.
xr8ute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-08-2009, 06:14 PM   #20
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by xr8ute
This part is also responsible for driving the oil pump....you have no oil pressure....maybe oil pump drive shaft is twisted/rooted, causing the bearing in the cam synchronisor to wear out? A side effect of a bigger problem?

Just a thought.
Already pulled the drive out and it appeared fine.
Old 27-08-2009, 08:51 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
Not necessarily. I've had no trouble getting parts for my EF. My Local Ford dealer has been excellent in that regard.
I wasnt refering to all Ford dealerships just afew of the ones ive been to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTE72
Where do you get your TE serviced Dallas?
Torque Ford @ North lakes, not sure if the same guy is there. Im sure he is the service mgr. Could be wrong though
Old 28-08-2009, 11:20 AM   #22
XR8AU2121

I just pulled my old camshaft synchronizer apart and the bearing seems fine. The shaft had a coating of like varnish on it causing it to squeek when your give it a turn. I cleaned it off and it seems to be fine, no aparent wear on the shaft or bearing.
I am not sure how the bearing is supposed to be lubricated or if it is a self lubricating bearing as their appears to be a rubber sealing O ring at the bottom of the bearing to prevent oil being sucked up the shaft through the bearing and into the top of the synchonizer under the sensor cap.
Anyway, the old one seems to be fine now, spins smoothly with no noise. I will just keep it for a spare if I need it in the future.
So anyone with a noisy synchronizer, before replacing it just dismantle it first up and give it a good clean and see how it goesl.