Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 21-08-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Default Engineering a turbo for road use...

Hey all,

Well i just picked up my first turbo, manifold and intercooler to put onto my 1994 ED Futura.. Before i go ahead with the conversion i was wondering what would be required to get the turbo conversion legal on the road in VICTORIA...

Some people say it needs to pass EPA, some say engineering certificate.. and some say nothing..

I just want to be able to stop the cops defecting me if they pull me over and decide to look under the hood..

Prices and places would be good to.. Anyone on here actually been through this before?

Cheers,
Nik

ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 09:05 PM   #2
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

well here is a couple of tips to avoid a cannary.
1. no blow-off-valve. they are illegal.
2. wait til ur pff ur "P"ull me over plates as turbos r illigal 4 u and it is $200+ and 3 demerit points and u must present the car with no turbo before the cannary is removed. this doesnt seem to deter too many, my manager is putting a 2JZ-GTE twin turbo into his '94 supra n he is 19. yes his parents are rich.

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required
Sony headunit, splits, 6.5"s and 2 x 12" with response precision amp = 135.5 dB

Daily = Ae82 '85 corolla Fwd :togo: , 5 speed, 12" sub, 6x9's, green LED's

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
CaRtZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 09:07 PM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

Emmissions Testing (1600ish)
Engineering (600-700ish)
ensuring the car passes both the engineering cert (ensuring everything is done right)
tuning to ensure the car passes emmisions.
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 09:11 PM   #4
eb91xr6
V8 Ute V8 Boat

move to sa and your all sweet
125 Thumpster 2010
Swag
All set for the weekend
eb91xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #5
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Well i am off my p's in october.. $2500 just to get it all legal.. what a rort.. i would change states but it would prob work out just as expensive with reg changeover, engineering, roadworthy, etc..

I was expecting like $1200-$1500.. but gees..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 21-08-2006, 09:16 PM   #6
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yep, find a factory one. It works out much cheaper.
Old 21-08-2006, 09:19 PM   #7
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Factory ED Turbo.. is there such a thing??

Cheers,
Nik
Old 21-08-2006, 09:20 PM   #8
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaRtZ
well here is a couple of tips to avoid a cannary.
1. no blow-off-valve. they are illegal.
2. wait til ur pff ur "P"ull me over plates as turbos r illigal 4 u and it is $200+ and 3 demerit points and u must present the car with no turbo before the cannary is removed. this doesnt seem to deter too many, my manager is putting a 2JZ-GTE twin turbo into his '94 supra n he is 19. yes his parents are rich.
blow off valves are perfectly legal as long as they're plumbed back.
no idea on the P plate thing, being an aftermarket turbo may make it a different rule, especially if youv'e had your P's a while.
and 2jz into supra isnt a big deal as he can use factory management etc and only needs engineering, no emmisions.
cops only care about factory specs when talking about cars you're "allowed" to drive.
Old 21-08-2006, 09:21 PM   #9
dansedgli
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTA
Factory ED Turbo.. is there such a thing??

Cheers,
Nik

Who knows, new models are popping up all over the place.
Old 21-08-2006, 09:27 PM   #10
EFFalcon
Last warning

Allan Moffat HO supercharged ;)
Old 21-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #11
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

yeah but straight BOV's emmit gas into the atmosphere which is illigal is more wot i meant and anything with a turbo is illegal for p's. XR6T....forget it!
and yeah the 2JZ is an easy change over but it 360rwkw and the car's tare is a bit over a tonne which equals high powered vehicle. and he isnt gunna plumb back the BOV. it already has 19" chromies, 80mm ride hight, 5 12" subwoofers @ 145dB and "P"ull me over plates. COP BAIT ANYONE?!?

Standard = 99.6rwkw <!> 2.5" SuperCat cat back exhaust, Wade 1636 cam, K&N boxed pod (new dyno required

the course i am studying: http://www.wodonga.tafe.edu.au/01_courses/course.jsp?id=AUR30905NANA
Old 21-08-2006, 09:35 PM   #12
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

I know this is not about turbo but seems rediculess to start another thread...

About pod filters I have heard that you need an engernering certificate for them but my employer(mechanic) says that you don't and If cops defect you for it that you can make a ple or something...So does anyone know the actual story... and when its all said and done its only a freaking filter...
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 09:37 PM   #13
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

i dont think u need a cert for a pod. not sure tho...

Old 21-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #14
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6cylEA
I know this is not about turbo but seems rediculess to start another thread...

About pod filters I have heard that you need an engernering certificate for them but my employer(mechanic) says that you don't and If cops defect you for it that you can make a ple or something...So does anyone know the actual story... and when its all said and done its only a freaking filter...
Pod must be secured and not an oil type pod.
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 09:39 PM   #15
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Pod filters are illegal unless you hide it in your airbox..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 21-08-2006, 09:43 PM   #16
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nope there legal as above in my previous post.

On turbo/supercharged cars however you can only have one form of induction mod. For example a pod filter or an intercooler BUT not both.
Old 21-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #17
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

This sounds crazy(but you must give me the right advice I am still learning) Someone said the other day that you can have a front mount intercooler and use it for something else if you dont have a turbo..
Old 21-08-2006, 09:46 PM   #18
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Thats very interesting.. you see the coppers up here have defected a few of my mates for running "exposed" pod style filters.. maybe its a dodge nsw/vic confusion issue..

So on a turbo car.. i can run an intercooler provided i have a proper airbox..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 21-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #19
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yeah but straight BOV's emmit gas into the atmosphere which is illigal is more wot i meant and anything with a turbo is illegal for p's. XR6T....forget it!
and yeah the 2JZ is an easy change over but it 360rwkw and the car's tare is a bit over a tonne which equals high powered vehicle. and he isnt gunna plumb back the BOV. it already has 19" chromies, 80mm ride hight, 5 12" subwoofers @ 145dB and "P"ull me over plates. COP BAIT ANYONE?!?
You will be suprised how much power you can make before the stock BOV starting to hold you back.

Why doesn't your mate just buy a 6spd 2JZ-GTE supra thats factory and transfer his wheels and stereo over, it would save a lot of hassles.
Old 21-08-2006, 09:47 PM   #20
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

is that ^ the law? odd... and no advantage to pod in box besides practical experience...

Old 21-08-2006, 09:53 PM   #21
CaRtZ
Aspiring mr efxr

coz he is rich and doesnt care. currently a custom loom is being made for the ECU and he doesnt have a manual licence so he isnt getting a manual box. yet he is spending nearly $13 000 on a highly illegal engine anyway.
the engine is actually out of a lexus halfcut imported from japan with most GReddy stuff on it.
he is an idiot. he isnt even getting an LSD or alike...

Old 21-08-2006, 10:30 PM   #22
SVT8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
funny you should mention XR6T, my mate actually ownes and drives his XR6T and his on his P's. He has taken off the turbo badges and has been pulled over a couple of times for random checks. Out of the 5 times (that he has claimed) to of been pulled over, only one copper looked under the hood. My mate told me he got let off because he said he is driving his dads car. Honestly i dont believe a cop would be that gullable, but the thing is my mate doesnt give a damm about the law..............what can you do, i have seen him nearly smash a couple of times trying to show off in it.
SVT8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 10:33 PM   #23
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Thats very interesting.. you see the coppers up here have defected a few of my mates for running "exposed" pod style filters.. maybe its a dodge nsw/vic confusion issue..

So on a turbo car.. i can run an intercooler provided i have a proper airbox..

Cheers,
Nik
Yes i know for sure that on factory turbo cars you can put on a front mount however you must still retain the factory box and panel filter.

Seeming as your car will be engineered and have emissions testing done however it may be legal for you to run both pod + intercooler if you have them both on when the emissions testing is done. Could be a bit of grey area to get around it, ring up the EPA though when you cross that road they will be able to tell you for sure

Quote:
coz he is rich and doesnt care. currently a custom loom is being made for the ECU and he doesnt have a manual licence so he isnt getting a manual box. yet he is spending nearly $13 000 on a highly illegal engine anyway.
the engine is actually out of a lexus halfcut imported from japan with most GReddy stuff on it.
he is an idiot. he isnt even getting an LSD or alike...
I wonder what lexus halfcut its coming from, i dont recall any lexus's ever recieving the 2jz?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVT8
funny you should mention XR6T, my mate actually ownes and drives his XR6T and his on his P's. He has taken off the turbo badges and has been pulled over a couple of times for random checks. Out of the 5 times (that he has claimed) to of been pulled over, only one copper looked under the hood. My mate told me he got let off because he said he is driving his dads car. Honestly i dont believe a cop would be that gullable, but the thing is my mate doesnt give a damm about the law..............what can you do, i have seen him nearly smash a couple of times trying to show off in it.
I thought those P plater laws weren't coming into effect until next June? or was it the June just passed? Either way if he had the car registered under his name before the law came into effect he can drive it.

Some cops are that gullable though my mate got pulled up taking his brothers 5.7L 300kw Monaro GTS for a quick spin down to KFC and the cop asked him if its a 5L and he said he wasnt sure, the cop goes ok gave him the speeding fine and that was that :hihi:
Old 21-08-2006, 10:50 PM   #24
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

This is from ROOSTA who in a previous thread said, and I quote...........

Quote:
Welcome to my world.. lol.. i have been pulled over or questioned while parked well over 30 times in the last 2 weeks.. still no fines.. lol.. and they have been fully over the car at least 10 times..
I don't think you of all people should be considering on putting a turbo on your car - unless your quote was untrue.........

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 10:59 PM   #25
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

That is exactly why i want to have it all legal DR_HEMI.. That is the reason for this thread.. You might need to get your prescription fixed..

Cheers,
Nik
Old 21-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #26
triple8nitro
Alternator

I dont think ^^ hes talking about the police. lol
Old 21-08-2006, 11:20 PM   #27
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Quote:
That is exactly why i want to have it all legal DR_HEMI.. That is the reason for this thread.. You might need to get your prescription fixed..
Way to sort out an issue backwards - buy the turbo then ask if you can make it legal..........

Doesn't matter what you do to it to make it legal an engineers only last 30 days, if that, then as you are getting so much police attention they will make you get a new RWC and you won't be able to pass without a new engineers certificate.

And I see why you get so much police attention as your a smart a$$

But good luck with that and I look foward to seeing your new thread - "the hoon laws got me "

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2006, 11:27 PM   #28
EFFalcon
Last warning

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRHEMI
Way to sort out an issue backwards - buy the turbo then ask if you can make it legal..........

Doesn't matter what you do to it to make it legal an engineers only last 30 days, if that, then as you are getting so much police attention they will make you get a new RWC and you won't be able to pass without a new engineers certificate.

And I see why you get so much police attention as your a smart a$$

But good luck with that and I look foward to seeing your new thread - "the hoon laws got me "
The VicRoads Copy of the Approval Certificate must be presented, together with the vehicle, at a VicRoads Registration and Licensing Office for registration, or to have its description changed. If the vehicle is to be registered, the usual supporting documentation will also need to be supplied.

once its on vicroads records that the car is engineered, it doesn't matter that the cert goes out of date.
Old 21-08-2006, 11:30 PM   #29
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Thank you for clarifying it EFFALCON..

DR_HEMI.. i really can't be bothered arguing with you again so just go find that rock please..

Chers,
Nik
Old 21-08-2006, 11:34 PM   #30
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

Quote:
Thank you for clarifying it EFFALCON..

DR_HEMI.. i really can't be bothered arguing with you again so just go find that rock please..

Chers,
Nik
haha :

Way to make my day...