Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 15-07-2015, 11:07 AM   #1
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Default Ford in North America - Not on the nose

With a week left in Canada, thought I might share my experience with what I've seen on the roads here.

Ford are definitely a very strong brand in Canada particularly, where I've seen great numbers on the roads of Fusions (Mondeo), Escapes (Kuga), Edges, Explorers (new shape looks like a large Edge), Mustangs, a few Taurus', and massive amounts of F Trucks.

In fact passing through Kamloops, a regional centre about 400kms from Vancouver, We passed a Ford dealer who had this line up out the front, what colour do you want?

Driving along the Freeway from Kamloops to Vancouver, sitting on 134km/h (120 limit, but nobody does that) this thing overtook me, they sure love their big trucks here - 6.7 litre engine

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto

Last edited by mtbkym01; 15-07-2015 at 11:12 AM.
mtbkym01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #2
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Ford in North America - Not on the nose

Yep, noticed (and loved) the same thing over there. Also liked the Flex.

FOA for the love of dog rebuild your brand in Australia around the F Series!
Old 15-07-2015, 03:28 PM   #3
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprintey View Post
Yep, noticed (and loved) the same thing over there. Also liked the Flex.

FOA for the love of dog rebuild your brand in Australia around the F Series!
Yes, forgot about the Flex, interesting car

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
Old 15-07-2015, 05:02 PM   #4
SumoDog68
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
With a week left in Canada, thought I might share my experience with what I've seen on the roads here.

Ford are definitely a very strong brand in Canada particularly, where I've seen great numbers on the roads of Fusions (Mondeo), Escapes (Kuga), Edges, Explorers (new shape looks like a large Edge), Mustangs, a few Taurus', and massive amounts of F Trucks.

In fact passing through Kamloops, a regional centre about 400kms from Vancouver, We passed a Ford dealer who had this line up out the front, what colour do you want?

Driving along the Freeway from Kamloops to Vancouver, sitting on 134km/h (120 limit, but nobody does that) this thing overtook me, they sure love their big trucks here - 6.7 litre engine

Now , this looks like a truck should Ngaire :-)
SumoDog68 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #5
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumoDog68 View Post
Now , this looks like a truck should Ngaire :-)
Except most (real) Trucks utilise as much load area as possible.
Not waste it with wheel arches
Old 15-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #6
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

Yeah we saw the same thing in Texas. They love their trucks. F-150, F-250, F-450 etc..

Also lots of Chevrolet, Dodge, Toyota trucks as well.

I remember everyone driving really fast too. There is a saying the speed limit is 90 (mph) or the temperature (in Fahrenheit)!
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-07-2015, 07:07 PM   #7
LoudPipes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane View Post
Except most (real) Trucks utilise as much load area as possible.
Not waste it with wheel arches
To be fair most of the rear wheels are outside and under the rear bed which makes for a lot of available space in the rear and depending on the model they can carry and tow some serious weight.

You see some ridiculously big vans and trailers hook up to these things in Canada, particularly with the F-450's like in the photo.
Old 15-07-2015, 08:18 PM   #8
mr smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This Hillbilly crap should stay there.
mr smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 15-07-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Oh Canada! Would love one of those bad boys in my drive way. I think a second hand Silverado or F series is going to be my next car.
Old 16-07-2015, 04:28 PM   #10
AUwindsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
yeah and you enjoy your looney nanna state where soon 10km/h over speed will be jail time.
AUwindsor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2015, 10:12 PM   #11
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr smith View Post
I was hoping someone was going to say it...

Honestly...our roads (and parking lots) simply aren't designed with these monstrosities in mind. The F150? Sure...it's "normal" sized and fits in here well. The bigger rubbish? Good lord, how much of a status symbol do you really need to say "look at me"...?

The other problem is quality...the models that sell in their hundreds of thousands in the USA are cheap...and there's a damn good reason for that. And there's a reason the only ones we see here converted for sale are the higher end more luxurious models...if you tried to pass off a base model (read: volume selling in the US) truck here in Australia, no one much would buy it unless the price was correspondingly dirt cheap to allow for the cheap equipment level and build quality...

Funnily enough when we were in Vegas and southern Nevada, we saw way more Dodge Rams than Fords...I've often said you see more F250's driving around Rockhampton that we saw in Vegas. I'd guess roughly it was Rams first, followed by Toyota Tundras and Chev's, then other things we don't see here like Nissan Titans and Honda Ridgelines, then Fords, and funnily enough the Ford trucks we did see were government vehicles...power, water, council, local government, heaps around the airport as service vehicles. In private hands though we just didn't notice that many. We were expecting heaps more.
2011G6E is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2015, 10:32 PM   #12
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i think the big utes ..... sorry pick up trucks , probably would be popular over there if for no other reason just because of the severe winters they have, and the more rugged nature of the vehicles,
also the bigger diesels would be a bit more suited to hostile conditions ???
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2015, 10:59 PM   #13
baboon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: went to the trouble of posting up some great Vids of the AFF drag meet 

You see more Fords F's in Texas from Dallas all the way down to San Antonio and further. Very popular for farmers. Tennessee around the great smoky mountains you see lots too. Lots of unmaintained clay roads up in the mountains you NEED ground clearance F-trucks and RAMs are everywhere. Lots of F-450's towing trailers for NASCAR, road trips etc.
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-07-2015, 11:12 PM   #14
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011G6E View Post
Funnily enough when we were in Vegas and southern Nevada, we saw way more Dodge Rams than Fords...I've often said you see more F250's driving around Rockhampton that we saw in Vegas. I'd guess roughly it was Rams first, followed by Toyota Tundras and Chev's, then other things we don't see here like Nissan Titans and Honda Ridgelines, then Fords, and funnily enough the Ford trucks we did see were government vehicles...power, water, council, local government, heaps around the airport as service vehicles. In private hands though we just didn't notice that many. We were expecting heaps more.
Small sample size. F Series has dominated US sales charts for decades. Chevrolet sales are way ahead of Ram sales as well.

And it hasn't been "Dodge" Ram for a few years now. Ram is a separate division. (But everyone still calls them Dodges.)
Old 17-07-2015, 08:55 AM   #15
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Would rather the F Series here than people towing 3.5 tonnes with their POS tinfoil Thai utes.
Brazen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 17-07-2015, 10:24 AM   #16
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik View Post
i think the big utes ..... sorry pick up trucks , probably would be popular over there if for no other reason just because of the severe winters they have, and the more rugged nature of the vehicles,
also the bigger diesels would be a bit more suited to hostile conditions ???
Yes, speaking to people in the Rockies and winter is when the trucks come into their own, also plenty towing 5th Wheel Caravans around as well, if you think the trucks are big, you should see these things, some are as big as a 3 bedroom house lol

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
This user likes this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 04:53 AM   #17
malazn mafia
Boss 335

With One Ford, why did they bother with Ranger. Ranger vs F150 is like a water pistol shaped like a Glock vs a real Glock Pistol. Wonder if those taillights on that black pickup truck would fit into a AU/BA ute for an updated look?
malazn mafia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #18
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Got a newish RAM 2500 in my shop at the moment:

As I said in other threads, there is a market here for them, customer has a 30 foot 5th wheeler van to tow, PX Ranger didn't cut the mustard, they might be rated to 3500kg towing but at close to the limit its not ideal.

This is rated for 7500kg but they're having it down-rated to 4500kg so they can have it on car rego here in Vic.

If they were $75-$80K it would be within reach to average joe.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 18-07-2015, 05:17 PM   #19
Kieron
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Honestly...our roads (and parking lots) simply aren't designed with these monstrosities in mind. The F150? Sure...it's "normal" sized and fits in here well. The bigger rubbish? Good lord, how much of a status symbol do you really need to say "look at me"...?

The other problem is quality...the models that sell in their hundreds of thousands in the USA are cheap...and there's a damn good reason for that. And there's a reason the only ones we see here converted for sale are the higher end more luxurious models...if you tried to pass off a base model (read: volume selling in the US) truck here in Australia, no one much would buy it unless the price was correspondingly dirt cheap to allow for the cheap equipment level and build quality...

I would have thought all models would be built on the same assembly lines therefor build quality does not change with the upper models...

Typically, the reason why only high end models are bought here is purely cost vs what you get. shipping costs, conversion costs etc are essentially the same between a base and upper model and the final selling price isn't going to be massively different so bringing in the upper models makes them more attractive to buyers when they are justifying the costs of buying them.
Kieron is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-07-2015, 05:56 PM   #20
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Most car parks I parked in were similar size to ours here. Then to make things worse about 15% of the parks are 'compact spaces'
The hotel we stayed at in Vegas had a ground level car park that was for oversize vehicles, but most parking lots in the cities were comparable to our. A few were even smaller than the average aussie ones.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-07-2015, 12:20 PM   #21
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

One of the other things I wanted to mention, particularly in the passenger car segment, was the current crop of chev's are the same Daewoo? style cars, that we've got, Cruze, Spark (Barina), Malibu and can't recall the name of it but same as Captiva.

Also, the fuel was interesting, RON ratings of 87, 89 & 91 being premium. Some places had a 94 or 95 but that was it, and most had up to 15% ethanol as well.

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto
Old 19-07-2015, 01:23 PM   #22
Moby Vic
Cynical Idealist

The fullsize one is the Impala.

The Spark name is very confusing because it reminds one of the Volt and implies an electric motor.

I think our octane ratings are calculated differently than yours. The octane ratings vary throughout the country as well. Premium here is typically 93 octane. Sunoco has 94 octane, and I've never seen 95 octane. I've never seen 15% ethanol, either--it's E10 here. I recently found a station that sells ethanol-free gas, but it's only in the 87 octane rating. I can only use that in my lawnmower (my cars are tuned to run on 91 or greater).
Old 19-07-2015, 02:21 PM   #23
FPV GTHO
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Sharing his knowledge of performance exhaust setups for the NA 6 cyc Barra Falcon from BA to FG. 

US fuel isn't RON.
FPV GTHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 19-07-2015, 02:26 PM   #24
Express
Bathed In A Yellow Glow

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtbkym01 View Post
One of the other things I wanted to mention, particularly in the passenger car segment, was the current crop of chev's are the same Daewoo? style cars, that we've got, Cruze, Spark (Barina), Malibu and can't recall the name of it but same as Captiva.

Also, the fuel was interesting, RON ratings of 87, 89 & 91 being premium. Some places had a 94 or 95 but that was it, and most had up to 15% ethanol as well.
As others have said that’s because the standard measure for octane ratings varies around the world.

Example Australia use RON and the USA use AKI.

Roughly
90RON = 85AKI
95RON = 91AKI
98RON = 94AKI

My understanding is Australia has pretty poor fuel compared to many other parts of the world.
Express is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-07-2015, 08:24 AM   #25
mtbkym01
"Final 8"

Thanks for the clarification on the octane thing, makes sense now

PXIII XLT - Meteor Grey
3.2 6spd Auto