Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 02-01-2007, 11:59 PM   #1
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 
Default Brought home a sub box tonight.

New Years Eve my mate offered me a sub box he had made for free, obviously i'm not going to say no to this!
i dont have any photos as of yet as my parents took the camera away with them but heres the description:

Box: 60cm x 39cm

Perspex window: 35cm x 22cm

Now he hasnt cut the hole for the sub yet which is good so it gives me options! I'm not sure if I should put 1 12" sub in the main wall opposite the window or put 2 12" subs at either end of the box. Now my question is does it matter which way subs face in the boot?

Next question, is it better to have the inside of the box insulated? I'm wondering is white carpet would be suitable? remember I'm trying to make it look nice inside as well as it's got a window.

Ok if I end up going with 2 subs either end, I'm wondering if I should mount the amp inside the box or if this is a bad idea? Otherwise it could go on the back of the box, which would be kinda messy looking. Otherwise I'm not too sure where to put them!

The plan is to finish carpeting the box, black on the outside and proberly white on the inside, there will be either a black, blue or white neon stick hidden inside to light it up and hopefully it'll fit under the parcel shelf once I take out the carpet! I think it's only just off at the moment, but I'm hoping the carpet will take off some room!

Ok enough rambling! I'll keep this updated.

Cheers
Braden

Old 03-01-2007, 12:00 AM   #2
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
New Years Eve my mate offered me a sub box he had made for free, obviously i'm not going to say no to this!
i dont have any photos as of yet as my parents took the camera away with them but heres the description:

Perspex window: 35cm x 22cm

Now he hasnt cut the hole for the sub yet which is good so it gives me options! I'm not sure if I should put 1 12" sub in the main wall opposite the window or put 2 12" subs at either end of the box. Now my question is does it matter which way subs face in the boot?

Next question, is it better to have the inside of the box insulated? I'm wondering is white carpet would be suitable? remember I'm trying to make it look nice inside as well as it's got a window.

Ok if I end up going with 2 subs either end, I'm wondering if I should mount the amp inside the box or if this is a bad idea? Otherwise it could go on the back of the box, which would be kinda messy looking. Otherwise I'm not too sure where to put them!

The plan is to finish carpeting the box, black on the outside and proberly white on the inside, there will be either a black, blue or white neon stick hidden inside to light it up and hopefully it'll fit under the parcel shelf once I take out the carpet! I think it's only just off at the moment, but I'm hoping the carpet will take off some room!

Ok enough rambling! I'll keep this updated.

Cheers
Braden
I could be wrong, but it sounds a little small to be running 2 twelves?
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:18 AM   #3
needaXYGT
AU II XR8

Quote:
that should fit 2 12"s, one at each end.

has anyone tried mounting their amps in the boot side wall behind the triming (if any).
in my dads AU, this is where he his amp is. Just a suggestion braden, as it might leave you with wires all over the place though.
needaXYGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:31 AM   #4
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by private9
I could be wrong, but it sounds a little small to be running 2 twelves?
yeah see I'm not too sure if the box is too big for 1 12" or too small for 2 12"s. My mate said he got the dimensions from Jaycar which was suited for a 12". He also said that he thought the bigger the box the better, to an extent, not too sure about this.

Also another question, am I best to have the box ported or sealed?
Old 03-01-2007, 12:42 AM   #5
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Hey mate.. to have a box you need 3 axis..

so you have a flat panel which is 60 x 39.. wat is the third
dimension?? to make it a box..

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:51 AM   #6
tabletennisman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradensEBxr6
yeah see I'm not too sure if the box is too big for 1 12" or too small for 2 12"s. My mate said he got the dimensions from Jaycar which was suited for a 12". He also said that he thought the bigger the box the better, to an extent, not too sure about this.

Also another question, am I best to have the box ported or sealed?
You've got a Pioneer 305C yeh?

If i recall, these suit the same volume/freq. that 306C's like, which is 2.2cu. ft tuned to 35hz.
tabletennisman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 01:27 AM   #7
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTA
Hey mate.. to have a box you need 3 axis..

so you have a flat panel which is 60 x 39.. wat is the third
dimension?? to make it a box..

Cheers,
Nik
haha duh!! ok so its 60 x 39 x 44!! I didnt even think of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabletennisman
You've got a Pioneer 305C yeh?

If i recall, these suit the same volume/freq. that 306C's like, which is 2.2cu. ft tuned to 35hz.
I'll be getting new subs mate as the one I have now has a very large rip in the foam! I'm kinda thinking of the 1200 max watt. JBL subs. I'd love the carbon fibre subs from Jaycar but I THINK they're about double the price of the JBL's.
Old 03-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #8
LTDHO
The one and only

You need to fit sub(s) to suit the volume of the box. Not just what physically fitted.
Also how thick is the perspex? It should be at least 15mm but closer to 20mm.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 11:11 AM   #9
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
You need to fit sub(s) to suit the volume of the box. Not just what physically fitted.
Also how thick is the perspex? It should be at least 15mm but closer to 20mm.
Umm, the perspex is 5mm thick!! I didnt even know you could get it that thick!

My mate thought the box was around 60 litres but that could be wrong. Whats the volume that a 12" sub needs approx?

Also can anyone suggest whether I should port the box or not?
Old 03-01-2007, 11:47 AM   #10
LTDHO
The one and only

I used 18mm. 5 mm will flex alot, it's be difficult to get a good seal and you will loose some of the tightness of your bass. 5mm is good for windows for amps, cap, fuses, etc

Each 12" sub is designed for a cu2. So once you have calculated the size (I don't have my calculator at work) then you can work out the subs. Also what size MDF is the box made of? You will need to know this before calculating the box volume.
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
Old 03-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #11
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

oh god i just went out and measured the perspex properly then and its only 3 - 4 mm thick!! I guess I cant complain too much, I did get it for free after all! Is it worth using 2 layers of perspex or would I be better of going out and getting thicker perspex?

The box, which actually looks like to be made out of chipboard or similar!, is about 20 mm thick.
Old 03-01-2007, 12:49 PM   #12
mark_TD
XR6 Turbo FTW

Congrats Braden. See you at Winton
Blueprint, 19" FG2 XR6 Luxo Rims, Momo Steering Wheel, XR8 Bonnet Buldge, Full Leather, 3.7 Typhoon Diff Gears, Force Lip Spoiler, De-badged, Ghia Boot Garnish, Pedders Adjustable Coil- Overs And Camber Kit

96 EL XR6 - (Daily)
Gunmetal Grey, 19" Typhoon Copies, Tickford Body Kit, Pedders Sports Ryders With Shortened Shocks And Camber Kit, Full S/S Difilipo Exhaust With Matching Extractors

mark_TD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
LTDHO
The one and only

Branden, sorry man but I now know why you got it fro free.

If you want good bass, buy the subs of your choice and build box to suit out of MDF. Then you can fit the window of correct thickness also.
Old 03-01-2007, 01:08 PM   #14
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

lol, nah i got it for free because he works at bunnings and got all the materials for free! I'll play around with it and get it good! thanks for your help mate. cheers
Old 03-01-2007, 01:13 PM   #15
LTDHO
The one and only

GET MDF free then!

Chipboard is useless!!
Old 03-01-2007, 01:20 PM   #16
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

lol, how come chipboard is no good? just out of curiosity?
Old 03-01-2007, 01:50 PM   #17
efgiar
rofl copter

because it falls apart easy

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 02:22 PM   #18
tabletennisman

People who also use perspex usually use 20-25mm perspex which costs around $100 so it's quite expensive to do it properly! You'd get much better sounding bass if you just get rid of the window, and use it in a false floor or something to go over the amps. Or if you really wanted the window, use 6-10mm toughened glass. It's much cheaper than perspex.

MDF is better than chipboard cos its much more dense.
tabletennisman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-01-2007, 03:46 PM   #19
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

just found out the box i'm using now, which was also made by another mate, is made out of chipboard and it's been fine and sounds good. I think i'll just see how it goes, its not like its putting me out of pocket.
Old 05-01-2007, 12:09 AM   #20
ROOSTA
DFDFDF

Hey dude..

i calculate the box to be around the 98 Litre mark.. should be perfect for 2 12"s depending on the specs of the subs ofcourse..

You will not need to strengthen the perspex if you port the box but if you gonna run sealed then the perspex will flex and bend till something breaks..

As for the particle board (chipboard) vs MDF.. I have always used mdf but that being said almost all the pre-fab autobarn type boxs are made out of particle board cos it costs half the price of MDF and sounds almost the same in most situations..

I say give the box a try and see how it goes.. i mean wat you got to lose???

Cheers,
Nik
ROOSTA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-01-2007, 09:32 AM   #21
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROOSTA
Hey dude..

i calculate the box to be around the 98 Litre mark.. should be perfect for 2 12"s depending on the specs of the subs ofcourse..

You will not need to strengthen the perspex if you port the box but if you gonna run sealed then the perspex will flex and bend till something breaks..

As for the particle board (chipboard) vs MDF.. I have always used mdf but that being said almost all the pre-fab autobarn type boxs are made out of particle board cos it costs half the price of MDF and sounds almost the same in most situations..

I say give the box a try and see how it goes.. i mean wat you got to lose???

Cheers,
Nik
thanks mate, so is that calculation from my dimensions? Yeah I'll give the box a go and see how she runs, like you said, what have I got to lose...a free box! :Reverend:
Now is insulation required for the inside of the box? Would carpet achive the same affect?
Old 05-01-2007, 09:59 AM   #22
LTDHO
The one and only

Silicone the gaps.
Old 05-01-2007, 10:46 AM   #23
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Quote:
Originally Posted by LTDHO
Silicone the gaps.
yeah i will be doing that!!
Old 05-01-2007, 11:08 AM   #24
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

Finally got the camera back, heres the box:

Sub cutout

Window cutout
Old 05-01-2007, 06:10 PM   #25
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

nice? could do with a clean hehe

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 11:10 AM   #26
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

yeah i know, the shed is filthy, theres sawdust all over it because I had just cut out the sub hole and didnt bother getting rid of the dust from the floor! it'll come up good tho.
Old 06-01-2007, 11:23 AM   #27
BLKPHN
ORSM FORD CRUSIERS

when she is finished post up the pics in UR mods thread.

Strive for perfection in everything we do. Take the best that exists and make it better.
When it does not exist, design it. Accept nothing nearly right or good enough.

-[BLKPHN] (VIC) PLATES FOR SALE $495.00-
BLKPHN is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-01-2007, 01:21 PM   #28
DEVL-XR
EBII XR6

will do. anyone have white carpet?