Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 15-10-2006, 01:58 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default What is it?

I think I'm over my car. Maybe it's the whole AU thing or maybe I'm fed up wth having a 6, but I think this time I'm seriously over the XR. The car is going great and it drives well and apart from steering rack, nothing major has gone wrong with it. It's just nudged 78,000 kay's and it feels better than it did the day I bought it. But sometimes when I look at the car, I think what's the point. I just don't want to drive it, I don't want to clean it and I don't want to do anything with it. Weird?

Does anyone else feel this way about their car or has felt like this about their car?

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:04 PM   #2
JeffAU1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe its just a case of you want what you dont have, or maybe you think the grass is really greener on the other side.

Im sure the feeling will go in a week or so, if not, Go spend some money on her and make her go a bit faster - might make you love her again.
Old 15-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #3
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Yes Big Time...
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:08 PM   #4
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

MY EL is like that... I couldn't find the motivation to finish it off until I stareted going back to the drags and to some car shows.. The fire has been rekindled

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:10 PM   #5
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

All the time Bucky, all the time. Some days I just dont even look at it and just leave it sit (sometimes up to a week or 2). Other days I just want to go for a drive and days like today I get up and wash it and think about doing a paint clean and polish.

Sounds to me like you have come to the end of your "list".
I think you need to sit down and decide what (if anything) you want to do to it next. Without a "list" of things to do the car is finished and you will get bored.
If the answer keeps coming back to "fit a V8" then its time to sell and move on.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:12 PM   #6
~Nudge~
Rollin with the Autobots

Bucky If you dont want your car anymore, ill have it and supercharger that one instead!
Old 15-10-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Kenaz
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
I think I'm over my car. Maybe it's the whole AU thing or maybe I'm fed up wth having a 6, but I think this time I'm seriously over the XR.
I've gone through exactly the same thing with all the cars I've owned mate. I end up coming to the conclusion that it's not worth selling. It means alot more to me than the money I would get for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels Nov 02
It's suave, more subtle, and yet no less stirring. In fact, the boosted Ford is more polished than any big sedan Australia has ever produced. It's just so damn good, it makes the SS feel crude... Ignore the WRX. Forget the E49. Falcon XR6 Turbo is king.
Kenaz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #8
carratt
I Love My T3

it's definately the same for me aswell Bucky. I'll be hoping to sell my car in a few months as I would really like an au3 XR8. I should have bought that in the first place instead of settling on what I've got
Old 15-10-2006, 02:31 PM   #9
Cheahman
BOSS 260

Yeah I was the same... so I got a BA :P

BA XR8
EB XR8
Cheahman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 02:41 PM   #10
~Nudge~
Rollin with the Autobots

Bucky & Carratt

Both your cars are beautiful, dont sell them, youve worked too hard and spent too much on them! In a few years when the BFs are as cheap as the AUs are now, you wont see many AUs and AUs as nice as these!

Plus I wont have any friends with cars almost like mine anymore to do cruises and photos with :p

Kenaz nailed it " It means alot more to me than the money I would get for it" and the money youd probably get would be about $9000-$12000 - clearly not even half the amount I've spent and it would be the same for you guys.

Give em a wash, some TLC and buy her a little something for xmas!
Old 15-10-2006, 03:49 PM   #11
mattsAU1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper
All the time Bucky, all the time. Some days I just dont even look at it and just leave it sit (sometimes up to a week or 2). Other days I just want to go for a drive and days like today I get up and wash it and think about doing a paint clean and polish.

Sounds to me like you have come to the end of your "list".
I think you need to sit down and decide what (if anything) you want to do to it next. Without a "list" of things to do the car is finished and you will get bored.
If the answer keeps coming back to "fit a V8" then its time to sell and move on.
i agree, some days you wanna go over it with a fine tooth comb and clean every last bit of bug guts off the front bar and other days you don't even look twice at a dirty big patch of pellican poo on the roof, as for the list, fantastic idea as long as it isn't done up in stickers and arranged down the front guards "fast and the furious" style LOL
Old 15-10-2006, 03:55 PM   #12
70caprigt3k
Nitrous Junkie

I got like that for a bit, then i drove the triton work ute for a few weeks and i had a whole new appreciaton for my car. I still don't like washing it though :hihi:
Old 15-10-2006, 03:56 PM   #13
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Get the Real Thing instead of a imposter ! then cleaning is beAUT3iful.....
I know where your at Bucky but I think your a BAF lover trying to get out lol.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 04:06 PM   #14
Uncle_Ken
Next upgraded Mk1 Leopard

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always putting some imput into the forums to help or make it a bit easier for others Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Take a break.
What ever the hobby you need to get away from it for a while.
Drive another car for a while if you can....
Then ignore my advice and do what Casper said, LOL
Uncle Ken
How 2's: Change rear view mirror, Install backfire valve, Change foam front seats, Install auto transmission cooler, Replace Trans Shift Globe, Remove front door Trim, Paint AU headlights, install door spears, Premium Rear Parcel Shelf, go here...
Uncle_Ken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 04:08 PM   #15
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 
Smile

Its just a phase Buckie.I went through it a while a go only to find that I was lost without a hobby.Its like you dont know what youve got till is gone. Wont be too long..you love it!!!

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 04:53 PM   #16
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Bit sick of the rice diet bucky, j/k you have a very nice car indeed im sure its a phase how could you get sick of it, if your still bored of it just listin to that little voice in your head sayin 'buy a V8 bucky buy a V8' or ill take it off your hands
Old 15-10-2006, 06:05 PM   #17
HLC
Audi S3

yeah. i havnt washed my car in like 6 weeks. simply cause i couldnt be stuffed. the boot is full of ***** as is the back seat and i couldnt be bothered cleaning it. its not exciting any more :( and the exhaust leak is p!ssing me off majorly.
Old 15-10-2006, 06:19 PM   #18
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

There is an old saying Bucky:

What is worse, is not aiming high and not reaching your goal, but aiming too low and passing your goals.

What I'm saying is that I think Casper is right - you may have come to the end of your list.

Why don't you try something out there like grafting on a BA GT front bar, but keep the AU headlights (non-XR)... anyway - you'll get over it....

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:27 PM   #19
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Yeah i get like that all the time , I swore to myself years ago after spending heaps on my old XE that i wouldn't spend that kind of money again unless it was on something really old done up ( like a T model ford garaged most of the time etc ) . I came to your conclusion with my XE years back, after spending buckets of $$ on it and all the fun and glammer of it faded away eventually.

It took me another 10 years to decide to spend what i did on the XR , and even nowerdays , I'm back into the cars a bit more , but not in such a hurry to splash $$ on it , as i have my weeks where i couldn;t be stuffed with it etc .

As someone else mentioned , just drive a bucket of a car for a week or 2 , then drive your car again and you will realize what a nice car it is... after owning a car that handles nice for a while , imo it does sorta become a case of thinking 'the grass is greener on the other side' , but you don't what your missing until you haven't got it again ! .

Even nowerdays , i can honestlly say , if i could have my XE back in its former glory the way it was after i fixed it up and spent a bucket of $$ on it , i would rather my XE back than my XR i have now ! .

PRobably the reasons why i haven't gone out and spent a buckewt load of $$ on this XR yet , i love it and all , but i still have my days nowerdays like you mentioned, I think we all do occasionaly ! . cheers mate .

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:33 PM   #20
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I feel the same. I regret not buying a ghia and not getting an 8. But i figure what’s done is done. I may as well enjoy what i have.

I know the i6 is gutless without mods, and even with mods it’s still not a "fast" car. But for cruising and looking good their a great car.

I have thought over and over again about selling and getting a T3, but then it wouldn’t be something i have made. It would be stock, which in no means is bad but it’s not unique. So i have made the decision to make my car my own, unique and eventually a quick i6.

A lot of people would kill you and step over your dead body for the XR bucky, i am jealous of it but that still doesn’t spark the love it once did i suppose..

Try thinking of more go hard mods or maybe it is time for another project?

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 06:38 PM   #21
rag top
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just don't want to drive it, I don't want to clean it and I don't want to do anything with it. Weird?
What do you want to drive?? Or better still, what gives you a buzz behind the wheel?
rag top is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:28 PM   #22
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

Mate, i know ezactly what your going through, it happens to me very often... the worst part is when you think about how much money you have poured into the stupid things.
IF your not happy, just get rid of it.... dont look back.
go buy a BA or BF Fairmont Ghia V8, you will be happy then! :hihi:
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 07:57 PM   #23
RG
Back to Le Frenchy

I felt like that with the EL and finally decided to sell it and get an 8. Best thing I ever did. Although the missus hates it (apparently i'm anal because I wash it twice a week)
07 Renault Sport Megane F1 Team R26 #1397
RG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 09:33 PM   #24
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

been through it bucknaked still go through it now an again just recently actually , i spent more time under it than in it (all me my fault) recoed the steering rack for a tiny tiny leak on passenger side, did the reco myself , you can buy one $200 buks dirt cheap, took 4 times as long cost about the same as gettin a reco, that was a coupla months ago, 2 weeks ago pulled out recently bought extractors cut the end off made the system 3 inch all the way to the rear layin in the driveway , fitting it pulling it off over and over again until i was happy with it all weekend( feeling i was OVER IT) a week later my xr is back to grouse again, i think it would`nt matter what car you bought you would get that low feel now an again, perhaps a new limo is on the cards :eclipsee_ or a new mod, may be a holiday don`t despair it gets better
cheers mik
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-10-2006, 10:30 PM   #25
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Weird?
Probably need a break from it for a while.

Catch the bus for a couple of weeks and see how you feel ;)

Seriously though, ignore your car for a month (other than "have to" stuff like driving to work etc) and see if you're refreshed after that.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 12:00 AM   #26
jimt3te50
My kids think I'm cool

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Jim has consistently for some time now shared his life, and his passions in his XY GT and more so his FG GT in a way so everyone here feels part of the journey, which helps make AFF such a worthwhile place to be.  An outstanding contributor in my book. 

Just lately been going through the same thing Bucky- I relate it to this:

In every magazine I buy that has a feature car, they tell you how much pus and pain, blood, sweat, money, time and tears have gone into the car, how many things have been altered, shaped, custom made, fabricated, special ordered, flown in from overseas, waited 12 months for, re-mortgaged the house three times to build, only to get to the end of the article and give you the guys phone number as they are selling it.

I think it's normal, I really do and again, I've been going through this myself a lot lately. I think the hardest thing for you is that you have done so many mods to it now you are out of fresh ideas- I think you need to be doing "upgrades" to a car you have owned for a long time to make it feel different along the way. Depending on how you feel at the time and what influencing factors are going on in your life this could mean that a change could make you happy for a year or 5 minutes.

I think you need to find something else to do to it- a nice new set of wheels should do the trick- certainly makes it look like a different car- how about a set of speedy "envy's" in 19/20x8 with a charcoal centre (THAT would look awesome on your car)........ or even better, something totally new
2018 Ford Ranger RAPTOR
2013 Audi SQ5
jimt3te50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 02:19 AM   #27
Firefox7
T3 Terrorist

Maybe your driving your car a little too much....

I hardly drive my T3. It comes out of the garage nearly everyday but my wife is usually in the hotseat. I usually putt around town in the BA XT, it's a nice car, smooth and has no balls..lol., but it's nice car to drive & i drive it like miss daisy, it's the same as a nice 6 cly EL Ghia cruiser.

But....& it's a big But....when I get into the T3 , it like a big switch is thrown...from casual daisy mode to full on physco mode. And believe me...not only do I have fun driving it...i go completley nuts in it. It's like getting out of a normal car and getting into a racecar.

But bucky what do you really want...what would make you happy in yourself.

Cheers
Fastest Lap time At wakefield park on Dunlop Sp9000's : 1:14:30, Came 2nd in outright driver, in the overall V8 result, 2006 N.S.W dutton rally :1syellow1

:king: T3 :king: The Mightiest & Deadliest Tickford Ever To Hit The Road........
Firefox7 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 04:39 AM   #28
sbcb
BA Xr8

Time for a change, get something new. But be warned you'll miss what you had so make your next one a good choice.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 07:37 AM   #29
Rob
Living the dream

Buy a V8.
Rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #30
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLC
Buy a V8.
Better still Bucky, swap your nice looking 6, for my not so nice looking, but V8 powered XR8.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post