Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-10-2006, 11:01 AM   #1
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Lowered car vs Camping Trip

Hi all, i was just after some friendly advice. I am going on a camping trip up past Mulwala near Yarrawonga on the Murray, and was wondering if anyone else has been out that way? I am concerned how my car is going to fair out in the country. I am not sure how rough it is out there. Should i just try and hitch a lift in someone else car, i am i just over reacting?

ClassicAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 11:52 AM   #2
S3SR
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

go in someone elses car.

i took mine down the dirt road in bramston beach (north qld) and i swear my shockies and exhaust and everything else got a beating and its stock SR ride height (apparently tickford suspension)
plus theres probably other stuff, but yeah it would be fun to take the falcon but i dont no that area sorry

hitch a ride with someone else (also means you can drink : )

2002 Ford Falcon AU S3 SR
2006 BF MKI Falcon XR6
2008 Mazda BT50 SDX
2004 BA XR8 ute
2006 AUDI A4 B7
2013 FG II XR6 Ute
2006 Ford Territory TX
2003 Ford Falcon XR8
2009 Territory Turbo Ghia

Current: 2012 Audi A4 B8 2.0T Quattro
S3SR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 11:58 AM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

My au is lowered to XR height.

I do quite a few country trips and there is no way I would have it any lower.
ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 12:32 PM   #4
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys. I am a bit iffy about it all atm, as the car will most likely be loaded up with alot of gear. I have been told Mulwala is the closest town, and its fairly close to where we are going camping. I will try and avoid taking the car then if at all possible.
Old 23-10-2006, 02:40 PM   #5
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Mine's at XR height and has been on camping trips and lots of dirt roads with no issues.

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 02:48 PM   #6
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i used to do a lot fishing /camping at lake mulwala.
i wouldn't take your car down the tracks on the reserves along the river.they are a tad rough for a lowered fairmont.
we used to throw everything in the boat and cruise down to our camping spot.we'd leave the car locked up at the caravan park below the weir.
you going fishing down their or just camping.
FS5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2006, 04:18 PM   #7
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FS5
i used to do a lot fishing /camping at lake mulwala.
i wouldn't take your car down the tracks on the reserves along the river.they are a tad rough for a lowered fairmont.
we used to throw everything in the boat and cruise down to our camping spot.we'd leave the car locked up at the caravan park below the weir.
you going fishing down their or just camping.
I'm heading up there on the melbourne cup long weekend (have monday off!) for a camping trip, but hope to do a bit of fishing as well. A mate of mine has come up with a plan of it, and directions. Apparently i am to drive up Mulwala Barooga Rd (to Cobram) past Boomanoonah State Park and turn left at the Telstra Shed.
Old 23-10-2006, 06:20 PM   #8
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

cobram's a bit further down the river than we used to go.sounds like it will be a good weekend for you .you'l have to wet a line forsure out there,theres plenty of yellas and cod out that way and big murry crays.i think they have a closed season on cod out there from 1/9 to 1/ 12 each year .
i'd jump in with a mate if i could and grab a 6 pack out of the esky for the trip
Old 23-10-2006, 07:26 PM   #9
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have pretty much secured a lift, should be a much better idea, and having a drink or two along the way is always a bonus! One question though, i am pretty sure we are crossing over into nsw, does that mean if i want to fish i need a nsw fishing licence, or will a vic one cut it?
Old 23-10-2006, 08:07 PM   #10
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

good question mate , i'm not sure.
nah ,i just checked the map that section of the river is the border between nsw and vic so you'l be right as long as you have a licence for either state.
good luck hope the fish are bitting
Old 23-10-2006, 08:30 PM   #11
SIKSIX
Its gone V

Yeah, need a NSW license can get it from a local camping shop or alot of shell touch servos. Also they have a strict fire ban so, may.....mean no camp fires.

This happend to us when we went up on the NSW side. so research it, cause it makes the trip that soo much better.

About taking the car, personally i have seen EA-AU wagons/sedans towing caravans get through them paths. We do it in a fully loaded van and bumpstops mean you slow down, just easy as she goes and i rekon you could take it no worries. But if you can get a lift hey, why not.
SIKSIX is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-10-2006, 09:48 PM   #12
boodek
Ferret

You will need a NSW licence as both banks of the Murray are NSW jurisdiction. Victoria technically doesn't start until you are south of the high water mark on the south bank of the Murray. It also seems that most of Lake Mulwala is governed by NSW fishing regs too.

Good luck!
boodek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2006, 09:20 AM   #13
ClassicAU
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys! I think i will pick myself up a nsw licence for the trip. Does anyone know where i can get them, and how much? Do i need to buy it in nsw, or can i buy one in vic?
Old 25-10-2006, 09:51 PM   #14
LOWAU

You can buy one from any fishing shop thats close to the border also any shell servo with the touch screen computers.
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post