Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-01-2008, 11:32 PM   #1
all4fordau

Question Does This Make Sense???

The other day i did my oil change which I do religously every 10000 klms. I usually use Magnatec but this time I decided to try a new product from Caltex that is at the Ford specified 10W-30.
The car definately does not have the usual rattles that i was getting used to and now seems to be more responsive through the throttle range. Could this be true???? The new oil is called Calibre 30 from Caltex.

all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-01-2008, 11:51 PM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by all4fordau
The other day i did my oil change which I do religously every 10000 klms. I usually use Magnatec but this time I decided to try a new product from Caltex that is at the Ford specified 10W-30.
The car definately does not have the usual rattles that i was getting used to and now seems to be more responsive through the throttle range. Could this be true???? The new oil is called Calibre 30 from Caltex.
Yep, oils ain't oils. I think a few people have found Magnatec wanting, though I personally have never had an issue with it.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:08 PM   #3
Papa Smurf
Donating Member
Donating Member2

I am using Castrol semi synthetic 5w-30w and have had NO trouble at all. Haven't used Magnatec or this one you mentioned Allford but I might to see how it goes?
Papa Smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
MADED-6
MADED.6

i use 15w-50 i think it is hpr15 by penrite and i love it never has my oil pressure been low or motor made any noises.
used it in my ed aswell and yeah seems great.
its semi synthetic so protects pretty well.
cheers josh.
MADED-6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 05:30 PM   #5
Oo_xrsx_oO
t i c k f o r d

I used to likethe Castrol Edge 5w30 but the lifters always used to tick not long after an oil change so I went back to Penrite HPR10 with a purolator filter and no trouble since.

Liquid Silver / Manual / Leather / Momo Wheel & Shifter / Premium Sound / Lovells Superlows / Koni Reds / T3 Pursuit Rims / Pacemaker 4499s / 2.5 Inch Exhaust
Oo_xrsx_oO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 09:39 PM   #6
Barossa Red AU3

That Oil all4fordau Mentioned is exclusive to us at Supercheap and is Branded 'Calibre' and Labeled 'Formula 30' is in a 5.5 litre for $25.95 Manufactured by Caltex i think its just a no frills mineral 10w-30 but it doesnt suprise me that its quieter than magnatec.
Barossa Red AU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 10:09 PM   #7
Chamelion
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've been using Magnatec for a few thousand K's now and it sure does result in a noisier engine. I'll be trying something else in about 5,000K's. Penrite HPR10, maybe.
Chamelion is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-01-2008, 10:32 PM   #8
all4fordau

Yeah Barossa, I did pick the oil up at Super Cheap and as I have had no real pleasure with the Magnatec I was looking for another brand and type, so i decided to go back to the ford spec and this one fitted the bill and with 5.5 litres for 25 bucks decided to give it a go. I am sure Magnatec has its uses but no longer for me!!! I can definately confirm my beloved AU3 is quieter and feels better than it has for ages. And to think I was a sceptic about oil and performance. I got this car with 48k on the clock and it now has 112k. It has never felt better than the last week....... Weird!!!!
all4fordau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:12 AM   #9
T-Pak Addict
Jim

I use Valvaline Low Vis 10w30 and have no probs with it.
Won some Edge 0w 40 and put that in the wifes car and it does the lifter rattle when hot.... so back to the Valvaline for hers too, when its oil change time again

The Old Daily.......2003 Octane BA Taxi Pak Egas Falcon Build Thread
T-Pak Addict is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 09:44 AM   #10
Barossa Red AU3

These threads on oil keep coming up often i see, The AU,s are one fussy little devil when it comes to what you give them to Drink hahahaha.
Barossa Red AU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post