Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 19-01-2014, 07:47 PM   #1
Bigboysgirl83
Starter Motor

Unhappy 2000 au fairmont series ii…..lots of problems

Hi everyone, definite newbie here with my first ford, brought her a week ago and now I have problems.
i hope this is in the right place as i have multiple issues i thought this would be the best place.
Ok,to start.
Dual fuel, ran out of petrol straight away starting it on gas and it gradually got harder to start, 2 or 3 goes at cranking her and she'd start no problems and drove fine. I got my husband to change the headlight bulbs in preparation for a road worthy and he pulled the battery out so he could access the bulb, the car hasn't started since, it cranks no worries, but won't fire. Honestly it sounds like its out of fuel and the fuel light is staying on and both tanks have a quarter each. So after the battery came out the stereo said code, I'm pretty sure my "lovely" children have played with it because it now says err, i was waiting for the codes from ford, should have them tomorrow.
My hubby pulled the battery out again and charged it, there was no battery for nearly 24 hrs. we've checked the fuses under the dash and they all appear good, we can hear the fuel pump, and a click when we flick it to gas. Im in far north qld and we've just had over a week of heavy rain and i noticed some of the displays where my air con and climate control panels are weren't displaying properly, in the sense half the numbers were there, thats fixed itself.
smartshield has not immobilized from what i can tell, but my remote will lock the car but not unlock? over head lamp is fine, actually everything in the car works, she just won't start. I tried to re program my remote and i had the locks doing their thing for everything but the unlock? I've done the "leave the keys in the on position for 61 mins", i even tried to have a crack at the in dash diagnostics but my timing must be off hahaha! And every time we put the battery in the dash says fai r? but if i turn the ignition off then on it comes up fine again.Wont kick on either fuel.

Fairmont au series ii, april 2000.
Any suggestions guys?.
Cheers

Bigboysgirl83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 02:29 AM   #2
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Default Re: 2000 au fairmont series ii…..lots of problems

With some LPG systems the car will start on petrol and then switch over to LPG.

You say that the fuel light is on? If it is, I'd be putting some more petrol in it and see what happens (put at least 6 litres in the tank so that the fuel pick up works). The fuel gauges in Falcons are not the most accurate at times.

The key pad may not be the problem. The key has a transponder in it that allows the car to start. How many keys do you have? If more than one try the other key. However if the key was the problem the car will normally not crank at all or start and but stall immediately after starting.

The climate control display not working? Is it that just the display is dull or the display is not working at all. There are light bulbs that light up the display(s) and these are prone to blowing. There are some other threads on how to change the bulbs.

As for the instrument cluster LCD not displaying normally when you first put the battery back in is normal. When you remove the battery for a period of time this can happen particularly if the battery was flat when you pulled it out.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 04:04 AM   #3
bmwboi36
Starter Motor

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Ford-AU2-...0b3a402&_uhb=1

search thinnk they have sydeny base aswell as vic

. but try pressing the off and Mode Buttions both at same time and it disaplays all symbles and if all working check the blubs
bmwboi36 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2014, 10:31 AM   #4
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Ok, I'll throw a few ideas out there for you to work on....

Firstly, is the car factory dual fuel or aftermarket? If it's aftermarket, check that the wiring is still connected to the rocker switch on the dash. If any of them have come adrift then that'll stop the car from starting as they activate/deactivate the injectors and gas solenoid on the converter respectively. Then try and trace the wiring under the dash from the switch in case there is an inline fuse up under there somewhere. There is also a relay associated with this wiring, in my Fairlane it's located behind the drivers side kick panel. Again, check that the wires are plugged in and that the relay hasn't died.
If your car is factory dual fuel, still check the button in the dash as they can fail but also AUs' can rust under the rubber door seal at the base of the windscreen and on the passenger side it'll leak water down onto the ECU that is located behind the kick panel on the passenger side. If this happens all sorts of odd things can occur. In my first Fairlane the seatbelt alarm would sound constantly. It might be a good idea to check that also.

Your radio code; after 3 attempts to input a code the radio will display ERR for about 20 mins. before it will allow you to have another go. Every time after that you get it wrong it'll lock you out for progressively longer periods till you get it right. All you can do is leave the ignition on till it comes back to life then try again.

With your remote, it sounds like the unlock button has died or is stuck, I have one that is the same. Try to program another remote.

With your climate control, this is a common AU issue. The display screen circuit tape is only glued to the circuit board and over time the glue fails, usually most noticeable in hot weather but high moisture can do it too. Yours is starting to let go and if you go to a dealer or wreckers they'll tell you it can't be fixed and to go buy a replacement. THEY ARE WRONG. I have got a guaranteed fix HERE. Have a go yourself or send it to me and I'll do it for you as long as it's a virgin unit.

When you reconnect the battery and the dash says fai r, all that is; is indicating that the battery has enough charge.

That should give you something to keep you occupied for a few minutes.

Cheers
Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte
Meteorite, dual fuel but otherwise bog stock.

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Bushbasher is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-01-2014, 01:00 PM   #5
Bigboysgirl83
Starter Motor

Thanks so much guys, I've put 18 litres in the tank and rolled it to a flat spot but no joy, the dash has fixed itself, I'd say moisture going by the appearance of the dash when it wasn't fine, the CD player after having the battery pulled out for over 12 hrs and having done the ignition thing twice still says err. Now it makes stupid noises for about 3 minutes when the ignition is first turned on? Like it has a cd stuck, but nothing can go in, it's like it had a cd already, so nothing has been put in there. I have the code thanks ford, but I told him what the go was and he had no idea, that's reassuring, it is aftermarket, impco, fitted in 06. I'm really hoping it's just a relay or something, but we don't have the tools to test and be damned if I can find which fuse under the dash it might be even with the owners manual, the kick panel? Where exactly is it? What am I looking for. I've spent a week on here reading trying to get ideas before I posted, THANKYOU guys so much it's a great forum!!
Cheers.
Ohh the fuel light is still on........
Old 20-01-2014, 01:22 PM   #6
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

Ok, the fuses in the fuse block aren't the inline fuse I'm talking about. If there's one it'll be somewhere under the dash in line between the dash switch and wherever the wiring has been spliced into the loom. As I said, mine is in the kick panel which is the little panel down by your right foot inside the foot well. Same for the ECU, it's behind the passenger side kick panel down in the foot well.
The sound you hear from the CD player is the unit cycling through its' 6 CD trays on power up when you reconnect the battery, that's what they do to check if there are any CDs' in the unit before they let the user do anything.
Easiest way to check a relay is to just swap it for a new one, they are cheap enough. For the rest, just go buy a cheap multimeter for $10.

Bushbasher

HERS- BFIII Wagon Gold, alloys, dual fuel, bullbar, big tow pack, trans cooler, fully rebuilt HD suspension, Clarion, alarmed, full 2 1/2" sports system, mint body

MINE- AUII Forte

MINE- AUII Fairlane Sportsman Liquid Silver over meteorite,HIDs', Airhog, Eagle Leads, dual fuel, custom rear springs, BA slotted discs + a second one for spares

Old 20-01-2014, 03:43 PM   #7
Bigboysgirl83
Starter Motor

Your not going to believe this...... I called a mobile mech, and he have me a suggestion, use some fly spray or aero guard into the intake and try cracking it, off she went, the po had been running her on gas only, injectors were
Dry!! Never I my life..... Fly spray!! Didn't think it was doable hahahhaha.
Old 20-01-2014, 04:14 PM   #8
Bushbasher
When in doubt, GAS IT!!

If it starts on gas only and the petrol injectors are faulty, when it's cold, all you need to do is keep cranking till the gas gets drawn from the converter all the way through the induction pipes till it gets into the inlet manifold and cylinders, then it should fire. You just have to remember that the gas has to make it all the way from the converter to the cylinder before it can fire. If it's not running on petrol when you flick the switch then, again, check the switch first to make sure the wires are attached because a loose or off plug in the back of the switch will stop the injectors from activating and you'll get nothing. I had the injector wire fall off of my switch last week and when I ran out of gas and switched to petrol the car just rolled to a stop till I reattached the wire.
Once running you should be fine for the rest of the day as the residual gas in the intake will start the engine. It's only once the car sits and gets cold that the gas can dissipate and next morning you have to start again and draw gas all the way from the converter again. Most systems start on petrol for the first few seconds or minutes, (depending on the system) then switch to gas. My Fairlane starts on petrol for all of about 3 seconds but it's enough to allow the engine to draw the gas from the converter to the engine on a cold start. Then I have to warm up for 30 secs or so before I move off so I don't freeze the converter.

Bushbasher

MINE- AUII Forte

Last edited by Bushbasher; 20-01-2014 at 04:20 PM.
Old 21-01-2014, 08:02 PM   #9
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboysgirl83 View Post
Your not going to believe this...... I called a mobile mech, and he have me a suggestion, use some fly spray or aero guard into the intake and try cracking it, off she went, the po had been running her on gas only, injectors were
Dry!! Never I my life..... Fly spray!! Didn't think it was doable hahahhaha.
Amazing!

It's the end of Louie the fly, Mortein!!!! LOL!

Glad you got it started.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-07-2015, 12:51 AM   #10
Icepak
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigboysgirl83 View Post
Hi everyone, definite newbie here with my first ford, brought her a week ago and now I have problems.
i hope this is in the right place as i have multiple issues i thought this would be the best place.
Ok,to start.
Dual fuel, ran out of petrol straight away starting it on gas and it gradually got harder to start, 2 or 3 goes at cranking her and she'd start no problems and drove fine. I got my husband to change the headlight bulbs in preparation for a road worthy and he pulled the battery out so he could access the bulb, the car hasn't started since, it cranks no worries, but won't fire. Honestly it sounds like its out of fuel and the fuel light is staying on and both tanks have a quarter each. So after the battery came out the stereo said code, I'm pretty sure my "lovely" children have played with it because it now says err, i was waiting for the codes from ford, should have them tomorrow.
My hubby pulled the battery out again and charged it, there was no battery for nearly 24 hrs. we've checked the fuses under the dash and they all appear good, we can hear the fuel pump, and a click when we flick it to gas. Im in far north qld and we've just had over a week of heavy rain and i noticed some of the displays where my air con and climate control panels are weren't displaying properly, in the sense half the numbers were there, thats fixed itself.
smartshield has not immobilized from what i can tell, but my remote will lock the car but not unlock? over head lamp is fine, actually everything in the car works, she just won't start. I tried to re program my remote and i had the locks doing their thing for everything but the unlock? I've done the "leave the keys in the on position for 61 mins", i even tried to have a crack at the in dash diagnostics but my timing must be off hahaha! And every time we put the battery in the dash says fai r? but if i turn the ignition off then on it comes up fine again.Wont kick on either fuel.

Fairmont au series ii, april 2000.
Any suggestions guys?.
Cheers
Good afternoon,
I had a similar Issue with the Radio. Last week I got in the car and had the red light and No Radio. I pulled the fuses out and then put them back on and then It asked for the code. I had the spare key with the code but when I inputted the code I couldn't input the number 7. Tried Everything with no luck just Err message and I had to wait for ever for the stupid Err to let me try Again. Called Ford and .. well.. useless bunch. They said. Just buy a new radio. So... I called this guys, They asked me for the Radio Serial Number. Couldn't get the Radio out so I pulled front Ash Tray out, you can touch the bottom of the Radio and pull the sticker off which has the Serial number. Contacted this guy who looked for the code and they told me that the code I had was the wrong code.
Thanks to this guys the radio Works. It cost nothing, just a big Thanks.
Hope this Helps. By the way I bought a Bluetooth Receiver for my AU 2 Ford Fairmont, It's Fantastic for $20, So who needs a new radio. Just don't use the CD as they reckon it's Crap. Bluetooth instead. LOL
Wireless Bluetooth Car Kit Dual USB Charger Handsfree FM Transmitter SD Card AU
LOL

ASL
Head Office:
13 Commercial Drive Lynbrook
Victoria 3975 Australia
Ph: +61 3 9799 1444
Icepak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post