Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 14-04-2006, 03:39 PM   #1
Iphido
Guy that posts stuff

Default The I6 future

Heres a bit of crystal balling.

The new I6 won't be made out of regular cast iron, or aluminium but compacted graphite iron.This material is approximately 1.5 to 2 times stronger, allowing stronger engines to be constructed with less material (thinner walls), hence saving weight of the order of 50kg. This technology is currently used on several jaguar desiel engines and in the Falcon RTV (rear shock mounting plates). CGI does not require all new processes, however slower feed rates and better tools are required.

Stronger construction will also improve NVH. It also allows the possibility of a Diesel I6 varient.

CGI weight benifits are comparible to Aluminium and other alloys. It would be far easier and cheaper to incorperate it into the existing falcon manufacturing program.

CGI should also get a look in on Falcon suspension components (wishbones etc), improving strength, weight and NVH.

It is quite likely the I6 will shrink in capacity to around 3.5L. For several reasons:
-Economy, smaller engine, less friction, lighter internals, improved economy
-More compact dimentions, improved pedistrian safety by lowering the engine, also improves handling, cooling, NVH,lower weight. It will most likely have a shorter stroke
-Power, currently at 190/245kw, with over 200kw easily obtainable. With the smaller engine these outputs can still be met but with a smaller and lighter engine.

A 4.0L may continue in uppermarket and performance cars, but require Jaguar like explosive bonnet pedestrian systems which is not viable for entry level vechicals (expensive to build, expensive to replace).

New technologies. Direct injection will most likely be required by ever furthering emission laws and fuel economy targets. It should also help in low end performance and in turbo charged applications. EURO IV emissions are expected to be required by about 2008-2010. Athough it is possible to meet it without direct injection, the fuel economy benifits alone are worthy for the technology. This technology will most likely appear on premium or Sport versions with the 4.0L engine.

Injected LPG. LPG will still remain competitive with a more efficent injected LPG system, improving range and performance. However the tank maybe reduced in size to allow more efficent packaging.

Iphido is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 03:56 PM   #2
XRated
Shoot.

It sounds ideal... Finally matching capacity and efficiency to Japanese and Euro engines. But how soon will this sort of thing come into mainstream Falcons, if ever?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 04:21 PM   #3
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Use of carbon is becoming more common in the world. No suprise that this will be the future. Good article.
***Coming Soon: Clear Side Repeaters***
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-ShowStoPPa
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Smoked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 04:41 PM   #4
AUIII XR8 MAN
DJR TM#54

Location: on my p.c now with internet! ok i'll still use works internet too.

Sound good & one could only hope that it would go ahead, but what would it cost to make the change to use these materials.
Old 14-04-2006, 04:47 PM   #5
Falcon Freak
Banned

Your are missing one important material - plastic!

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 05:00 PM   #6
T_Terror
The Guy You Love To Hate

Whats explosive bonnet pedestrian system?
T_Terror is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 05:05 PM   #7
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4L would be better, one of the things that makes it stand out from the rest.... 3.5 ?- well then it will be the same as any other car - hope they make a 4L CGI inline 6 standard across the range. Seriously if it's already getting 10.2L per 100, a 3.5 version isnt going to get much better, it's time to look at biofuels as a long term solution, and stop trying to do short term solutions like save 1L per 100km and make it ethanol compatible and still have the power and torque.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 05:56 PM   #8
MeestaNob!
XR5T - Sea Grey.

I like that article a lot, but I'd have to say keep it 4 litres, but with 2 power ratings (Spec1: XT/Futura, Spec2: Fairmont/Ghia), with XR6 to use the Spec2 engine with sportier gearing etc.

My opinion on sticking with a 4 litre engine at all cost is purely an emotive one. FAU is the '4 litre family car' company. 3.5 just doesnt feel Aussie. I dont even care what the Red team have under their bonnets 6 pot wise, I want my Falcon 6's to be 4 litres no matter what decade I buy it in.

The chance of new tech allowing for stronger engines and therefore diesel one is exciting. If the inline 6 can be modified for LHD markets, look out Europe, because that would be the next frontier, not the USA.

Once again, what a great article.
MeestaNob! is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 06:56 PM   #9
McobraR
me may my mo

I reckon it'l be all-aluminium, mainly because Ford US' new 3.5 V6, now officially rated at 265hp (197kw), has an aluminium block....i think this will pass on to Ford OZ, i.e. the material for the block.
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 06:59 PM   #10
coyote
Paint Repairs Spoilers

What happened to the Joint venture that Ford were doing with the Magnesium Boys????
Old 14-04-2006, 07:02 PM   #11
Redrum
Force Fed Fords

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote
What happened to the Joint venture that Ford were doing with the Magnesium Boys????

Good question, in my days at Ford, aluminium casting, Magnesium was all the talk, plus their investments up in Qld etc.......
Old 14-04-2006, 07:05 PM   #12
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sounds like more crap.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-04-2006, 07:29 PM   #13
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by McobraR
I reckon it'l be all-aluminium, mainly because Ford US' new 3.5 V6, now officially rated at 265hp (197kw), has an aluminium block....i think this will pass on to Ford OZ, i.e. the material for the block.
197kw of power, but I bet the torque rating would be quite a bit down on the current engine. The torque of the current mill is what FAU and the public pride themselves on.
Quote:
...dont get me wrong this 3.8v6 is pretty special, it does come with the popular shake rattle and roll option and the auto compliments this with the ever popular snap crackle and pop feature
Old 14-04-2006, 09:37 PM   #14
McobraR
me may my mo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoked
197kw of power, but I bet the torque rating would be quite a bit down on the current engine. The torque of the current mill is what FAU and the public pride themselves on.
It's got 250lb-ft of torque (about 340nm), true thats 40nm down but Ford US uses SAE ratings while Ford OZ uses DIN ratings for its power, so i'd say the 4.0L produces about 370nm SAE, again its still got heaps more torque but it does make the 3.5 look abit better lol, oh and also does have an all aluminium block, meaning it'l be lighter. In the end, i reckon our 4.0L still sh*ts over this engine, but considering the Ford US currently has a crap 6 in their cars shows how much they'll be improving, especially since it'l be among the most powerful 6 cylinders in its class.

On a side note, as stated, the 3.5 will produce 197kw and 340nm using regular 87 octane fuel!, the hi-po alloytec needs premium, i think, to get its 190kw and 340nm... even though its got 100cc more to play with... good on ya ford!!!
McobraR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 03:47 PM   #15
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iphido
Heres a bit of crystal balling.

The new I6 won't be made out of regular cast iron, or aluminium but compacted graphite iron.This material is approximately 1.5 to 2 times stronger, allowing stronger engines to be constructed with less material (thinner walls), hence saving weight of the order of 50kg. This technology is currently used on several jaguar desiel engines and in the Falcon RTV (rear shock mounting plates). CGI does not require all new processes, however slower feed rates and better tools are required.

Stronger construction will also improve NVH. It also allows the possibility of a Diesel I6 varient.

CGI weight benifits are comparible to Aluminium and other alloys. It would be far easier and cheaper to incorperate it into the existing falcon manufacturing program.

CGI should also get a look in on Falcon suspension components (wishbones etc), improving strength, weight and NVH.

It is quite likely the I6 will shrink in capacity to around 3.5L. For several reasons:
-Economy, smaller engine, less friction, lighter internals, improved economy
-More compact dimentions, improved pedistrian safety by lowering the engine, also improves handling, cooling, NVH,lower weight. It will most likely have a shorter stroke
-Power, currently at 190/245kw, with over 200kw easily obtainable. With the smaller engine these outputs can still be met but with a smaller and lighter engine.

A 4.0L may continue in uppermarket and performance cars, but require Jaguar like explosive bonnet pedestrian systems which is not viable for entry level vechicals (expensive to build, expensive to replace).

New technologies. Direct injection will most likely be required by ever furthering emission laws and fuel economy targets. It should also help in low end performance and in turbo charged applications. EURO IV emissions are expected to be required by about 2008-2010. Athough it is possible to meet it without direct injection, the fuel economy benifits alone are worthy for the technology. This technology will most likely appear on premium or Sport versions with the 4.0L engine.

Injected LPG. LPG will still remain competitive with a more efficent injected LPG system, improving range and performance. However the tank maybe reduced in size to allow more efficent packaging.
You're way off the mark.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-04-2006, 04:42 PM   #16
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
You're way off the mark.
is he right? ive no idea. it was an interesting read and it was just his idea of what might happen.

so if hes way off the mark how about you tell us what they are gonna do.
Old 15-04-2006, 05:07 PM   #17
Thunder
I.B.S is a pain in d'***

Wow, coming soon to the all new platform Falcon........... Carbon Graphite twin cam direct injection V-Tec! Available in with Turbo with the XR6T e 350kw @ 12,125 rpm e :nutsycuck
Old 17-04-2006, 05:44 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
is he right? ive no idea. it was an interesting read and it was just his idea of what might happen.

so if hes way off the mark how about you tell us what they are gonna do.
And lose my job, don't think so.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 06:35 PM   #19
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

i dont understand this thread, is this information you have proof of? or are you just stating your wish list? cos it defenitaly sounds like crap to me.

what is with all these useless threads poping up with peoples, made up theorys of where ford will be in the next couple of years?
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 07:20 PM   #20
Falcon Freak
Banned

Some people above know something about upcoming engines but are unable to provide the full details so to protect themselves and the Ford motor company.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:07 PM   #21
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Gee'z I hope Ford Oz doesn't do this.....for our sake. I'll sacrifice a few extra kilos for a tried and proven cast iron block any day.
While aluminium may be better in theory, as it's tensile/toughness: weight ratios is better than steel, US/Oz car-makers have never had the brains to apply it properly in practice.

So now we are faced with "graphite iron"??

Graphite is the main carbon type found in the "Grey Cast Iron" and "Meehanite Cast Iron" in present Falcon iron block engines!! :

It seems that marketing departments love using these words, as the average bloke has no idea what "graphite iron" means. A bit like people who continually market parts as "billet" parts................
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:37 PM   #22
Martyvan
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wokkas
It seems that marketing departments love using these words, as the average bloke has no idea what "graphite iron" means. A bit like people who continually market parts as "billet" parts................
O/T But my version of a "Graphite Iron" Is in my golf bag, named 3 to SW
Martyvan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 08:40 PM   #23
Wokkas
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martyvan
O/T But my version of a "Graphite Iron" Is in my golf bag, named 3 to SW
Ha ha ha. Gold. We should email that to Ford Australia's marketing department
Wokkas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-04-2006, 09:23 PM   #24
Smoked
Burnin Rubber

Still not as bad as ECOTEC.
Quote:
Old 17-04-2006, 11:54 PM   #25
Paxton
Cobblers!

The Info that I have gathered is that Geelong would need a serious investment to get it to produce a V6. That means that we will see an I6 for as long as Ford is in Australia, mainly due to the tight monetary status of Ford USA. I also see a 4.0 Litre. Only because the engine has always been like that. It has been just above - 4.1, or just below - 3.3, and again, the 4 Litre is seen as the Falcon motor. It is one of the only remaining Straight 6 Engines in the world, with only BMW making an I6 now (Mercedes went to a V6). There is a lot of history in the Falcon engine.

Martyvan, I have Rifle Shafts, which are a Steel Shaft. My Only Graphites are a Taylor Made R5, and a Calaway Big Bertha.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 12:08 AM   #26
aimzes
...fairly odd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
And lose my job, don't think so.
fair enough, i didnt know you were "in the know" although im sure yourve stated it before. guess i missed it.

Quote:
The Info that I have gathered is that Geelong would need a serious investment to get it to produce a V6.
why would we produce one here? wouldnt they just ship that duratec thing over from the states?
Old 18-04-2006, 10:36 AM   #27
Paxton
Cobblers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by aimzes
why would we produce one here? wouldnt they just ship that duratec thing over from the states?
But now for the Million $$ Question - can it be set up for RWD? All if the Duratech's applications in the world are East-West, FWD or AWD setups. I don't think that will happen. Also, Ford got a Large grant from the Government to make the I6 Pass Emissions laws. The only V6 in the Falcon will be the 2.7 Diesel.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-04-2006, 11:00 AM   #28
banarcus
hmm eyebrows

Another nostradamus prediction.
Old 18-04-2006, 11:03 AM   #29
XplosiveR6
Viper FG XR6 Turbo

why would we want a V6, the only advantage a v6 has, is that its more compact (for smaller cars and for importing) and can be used for FWD, none of which advantages the consumer of a falcon
XplosiveR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post