Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 14-09-2006, 07:53 PM   #1
Junkz0r

Default Think i've fixed my dodgy idle issue (pics!)

Hi guys.

Well I had for a couple of months been experiencing the apparently common E series dodgy idle. It would run fin under acceleration and so on but about 50% of the idle time it would almost feel like it was starving for fuel and idle would dip right down low and often even stall.

Well last weekend it finally gave me the shits so I started pulling bits apart to try to fix it.

Firstly I tested the TPS and found that it was working just fine with both closed and open value's being spot on.

I then took off the ISC... It was a bit gunked up so gave it a good blast with some cleaner and the airgun. I also had to replace the gasket as it was broken when I took the thing off (lucky it was a paper gasket I was able to make one hehe).

While that was off and being cleaned I figured, hey! I might as well change the plug leads cos they look a bit tatty (Top Gun 8mm) and had a set of NGK 8mm to replace them with.

OMFG I took the dizzy cap off and looky at what I found!

Yes it's as bad as it looks. I've only had the car for just over a year and never checked it before the weekend (yes it's as bad as it looks).

I can't believe spark to the coil was actually possible with the carbon bit worn pretty much to absolutely nothing (good cam and coil I spose )!

Looks like water has gotten into things and has been left unchecked. The rotor button was in similar condition. I also noticed that there was some dark markings on the rocker-cover where the leads ran down to the cap, possibly a bit of cross-firing and low-and-behold! As I pulled the leads off of the plugs.. one of the metal bits stayed on plug 4 and offerend no resistance when I took it off...

I replaced the cap, button and leads, put the nice clean ISC back on, made sure all wiring was good and then reset the ECU....

It's running HEAPS better.

So if you have the dodgy idle problems I suggest checking your sparking system along with the usual suspects...

oooh she runs soooo smoothly now too