Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 19-02-2008, 08:35 PM   #1
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Travel question, going to Penang

Well the wife has declared we're going to Penang in June/July.
Been to Bali and Singapore before but not Penang.
Anyone have any hotel recommendations, someone at work said to be careful where you go because some are over run with that mob that cover their faces,(I want somewhere where there are lots of bikini clad girls).
Looking at 4 or 5 star type resort.
We're not taking the kids so we're not looking for a family friendly hotel.
Any info would be appreciated.

Old 19-02-2008, 08:48 PM   #2
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

See a doc well before, as some shots needs months to be done properly.

www.tripadvisor.com

Make sure you have a valid passport, at least 6 months past your return date.

Have fun... I'm off to SE Asia in just over 3 weeks for 6 weeks and 2 days of hot sweaty 'fun' in a hand full of areas located in Vietnam / Thailand / Cambodia / Laos.

Cheers

Oh.. if you need malaria tablets, get the 1 a day ones, NOT the 1 every 3 day ones as they make you nuts (vivid dreams / nightmares... halucinations... etc)

Last edited by Yellow_Festiva; 19-02-2008 at 09:02 PM.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 08:50 PM   #3
Airmon
King of the Fairy's.

I'm off there for the first time in March. Staying at Harbour something. If its any good I'll let you know! Don't get back till late March though. Enjoy your trip!
Airmon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-02-2008, 09:39 PM   #4
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

stay somewhere in batu feringi ( spelling) a its the main resort end of Penang. There are plenty of 4 + star resorts. Malaysia is okay, like anywhere, keep your wits about you and you'll be fine.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-02-2008, 01:14 AM   #5
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

I stayed at the Holiday Inn Resort Penang. Right on the beach on Batu Feringhi. Friendly, helpful staff, reasonably cheap. As XA-Coupe said, anywhere in Batu Feringhi is good value. Catch a bus to Georgetown and get the scare of your life! crazy drivers!
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-02-2008, 01:37 AM   #6
jaydee
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Cheers everyone, yes we've been looking at hotels in Batu Feringhi, might be the go.
Old 22-02-2008, 06:31 PM   #7
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Lived in Penang & at Butterworth about 2-3 years.

Lessee, don't carry a strangers luggage, and keep your own secure:-)

Death penalty applies for drug smuggling.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 08:46 PM   #8
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

weren't barlow and chambers caught in Penang?
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 09:57 PM   #9
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefargo
weren't barlow and chambers caught in Penang?
Indeed!
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-02-2008, 11:29 PM   #10
XA-Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Lived in Penang & at Butterworth about 2-3 years.
me too ! Mid to late 70s

As for the death penalty, it's advertised everywhere. It's sad in a way but it's not like they were unaware of the consequences of getting busted.
XA-Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2008, 12:10 AM   #11
stera

Where to start??

Penang is great!

Pack 2 pairs of shorts and a few more shirts as you will have a wall of water over your body anyway!

http://www.penang-hotels.com/parkroyal/

Stayed there... Was great... Hired their own jetski's, had their own massage people (I cant spell massuse) tailors and things like that, so u dont get ripped off with the old, u broke the jetski story...Have deals with meals too and different themed nights... Delish!

Markets (which imo arent as good as KL) are at your door step every night, which is handy as u will grab some bargains and its generally a very nice place to be during the day and throughout the night.

One request... Please dont be a clown... I have never been so ashamed to be Australian as when I was at this hotel and some ferals had saved their last 3 'Centrelink Benefits' and shipped over to Penang... Kids running riot jumping on all the furniture, screaming, fighting , knocking gear over and the parents legless abusing all the staff... If only they didnt look like bikers!!

But its great fun... You have been to Bali, so dont forget the art of the barter!! Towards the end of the trip, I actually started making out I didnt understand english... helps with bartering and being hassled, not that we really were.

Pre-arranged a bus from Airport and dont expect your wife to get too much attention, as my partner was ignored and she's a tall blonde with blue eyes and big ... anyway... Dont forget women are 2nd rate over there, so I wouldnt let her go too far without you!

Hotel can organise a bus to the shopping centres... HOT TIP - If u see it, barter for it (yes, in the shopping centres) and BUY IT - You wont find it again... TRUST ME! ha! They are SO BIG!

Last but not least, copied cds / dvds also carry $1,000 per disk fine if caught...

On that note, have a BLAST!! Other than the bloody ozzies, not a bad word to say about Penang...
stera is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post