Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 10-01-2008, 02:32 PM   #1
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default any one else a victim of petrol syphoning?

well over the last couple of weeks we've been hit with some person/persons syphoning petrol around our area, we wake to find our petrol flaps open and alot less fuel in the tank. Apperently our neighbours also had thier cars fuel stolen at some point. just recently we've put petrol caps with a lock but im sure the thief will work thier way around this. Its little surprise to be honest with petrol nudging 1.50 a litre, who else has copped some sort of theft like this?

ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:36 PM   #2
Booka
OzECruisers FTW

The same things been happaning around my area past 4 or so months, My dads been a victim of this, anyone else out there had this happen????

EB II GLi, AU 4lt and auto conversion :evil3: , 17" mags, Tub's on the way, Sound system, Tinted windows, Lowered.
Booka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:38 PM   #3
Kryton

cant say i have had it happen to me.
leave the fuel flap open with a small bit of garden hose sticking out.
they will see that and think "oh well, someone already beat me to it" and move on to the next car.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #4
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

I would like some sympathy here.......

I had 400lt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! of fuel syphoned out of my boat last year - premium as well! Must have been someone that new it was there, why else would you come prepared with two 44 gallon drums?

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:47 PM   #5
EF302
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yeah i've had it happen with my last car(eb) came out in the morning to find flap open and fuel all over the lawn, im guessing they copped a mouthful of fuel for ther troubles....
EF302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
aye you
The Origional, The Best

yep had it happen a few times, until we let the dog outside at night, woke up early one morning to a dude screaming, the dog (which was a police dog) had him around the arm. He got charged with theft and had to pay for the fuel he stole. haven't had a problem since
Lowerage on KingSprings Lows | Engine...Period | Sounds System

I Use And Recommend F1 Tyres And Wheels On The Gold Coast

Proud Supporter of Beat The Heat (NT)
aye you is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 02:56 PM   #7
mattl
Live Life To Full BOOOST!

Had this several times..had 3/4 of a tank stolen just last Sunday!!!!! Soo frustrating..really getting to me! Whats even worse is I keep my XR6T behind my gate, in my drive way, behind my daily under a car port..So they didn't just steal it of the street. Went into my property..GRR

Hm..guard dog? Not a bad idea..haha :evil3:
mattl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #8
Sloth

Low lives. I'm not a victim but I sympathise. And why do they always leave the fuel door open? Is it just so they can rub it in as a way or saying, 'ha I stole your petrol.' or does it break the latch? I suppose it's good in some ways so you don't get in your car and wonder where 1/2 a tank went.
Old 10-01-2008, 03:02 PM   #9
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

I always thought most modern cars had a spring / steel mesh within the filler pipe, blocking any pipe from beig inserted???

Perhaps, if this is a regular thing, you could do a Macguyver and fashion something out of wire or the like that can be added to the join between the steel and rubber in the filler???
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #10
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Meh, running on LPG means that at best I have only a few litres in the petrol tank at one time, so it's not a problem for me.
The Peugeot has a locking fuel cap, so that should be right, but it's diesel, so it'll probably taste really foul when they siphon it and get some in their mouth.

I can see it becoming a problem, especially in the lower socio-economic regions. I park the Falcon in one of these areas every day I go to work, so I wouldn't be surprised to get back to my car at the train station with the fuel flap busted open. Still waiting for the day I get back there with the car busted open...
Old 10-01-2008, 03:09 PM   #11
DDXR6T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Heard about it happening. A few people have came into work looking for locking caps for this reason. With the price of fuel - I think it'll be an increasing problem. I wouldn't be too worried about my fuel - I'd be more worried about the damge from prying the filler door open!
DDXR6T is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:10 PM   #12
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Perhaps, if this is a regular thing, you could do a Macguyver and fashion something out of wire or the like that can be added to the join between the steel and rubber in the filler???
If everyone did that, paper clip sales would go through the roof!
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:22 PM   #13
T3ts50
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It hasnt happened to me, but happened to about 3 friends of mine back in 2000 when fuel reached a scary 1.00L.
T3ts50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
If everyone did that, paper clip sales would go through the roof!
You know the funny thing... I actually had PAPER CLIP instead if wire, but changed it at the last minute lol.....
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:41 PM   #15
tankclare
BURN RUBBER NOT OIL

Havent had it happen to me yet but as others have said with the price of fuel going up it wouldnt surprise me if we see more of it happening.

As for gas cars. I would pay to see someone try and steal gas. Wouldnt it be hard as they require the nozzle connection when filling up. You can't just throw in a hose.

All these people talking about getting a mouthful of fuel need to get with the times. A jiggler hose is your friend.

[SMOKES] FG XR6 build thread - http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?p=4795218#post4795218

tankclare is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #16
andrewts
White Car Driver

For one thing it's not so bad that I have a manually opening fuel door. That way they can just open it and not ruin my car trying to pry it open. I also tend to leave the doors unlocked in areas prone to break-ins. That way, they can come in, see that I don't have anything to steal and leave it alone, without causing damage by breaking a window or jamming a screwdriver into my door.
andrewts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:58 PM   #17
thefargo
black xb
Donating Member3

happened to me a few years ago, but they slid underneath and punched a hole in the tank with a screwdriver, must have caught it in a bowl or something. I lived in a small country town then, and over a short period just about everyone got done.
thefargo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 03:59 PM   #18
Casablanca
carburettor

you know technically it's illegal to leave your car unlocked even in high risk areas.

i can definately see the reason behind it but just watch out because if something does get damaged you cannot claim on insurance as you have illegally left your car unlocked.
HSV Team shirt..... $65
Tank of Fuel....$75
Being cornered by a 17 year old bogan with 2 kids and no teeth telling you how much she loves HSV's..... Priceless
Casablanca is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 04:26 PM   #19
cob115
COUPE WHORE

Quote:
Originally Posted by aye you
yep had it happen a few times, until we let the dog outside at night, woke up early one morning to a dude screaming, the dog (which was a police dog) had him around the arm. He got charged with theft and had to pay for the fuel he stole. haven't had a problem since
HA HA HA can i please borrow your dog he does sound like mans best freind

1974 Malvern Star Dragstar pushbike mods; bald back tyre, big sissy bar, speckled paint job and buckled front wheel
cob115 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 04:33 PM   #20
ea90gl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the overwhelming response doesnt surprise me, so many low lives around these days. And say you got 30 litres stolen, its roughly $40 dollars which isnt something you'd just throw away. Im waiting for the day some assse wipe invents the LPG "jerry can", where you screw the nozzle in and away you go. I would absolutely love to catch the syphoner in the act, probably make him drink every drop he stole to teach him a lesson - he can find his own way to the hospital. I'm just glad no holes have been punched in the tank, that would be a headache
ea90gl is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 04:48 PM   #21
Melchior3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casablanca
you know technically it's illegal to leave your car unlocked even in high risk areas.

i can definately see the reason behind it but just watch out because if something does get damaged you cannot claim on insurance as you have illegally left your car unlocked.
I knew about the insurance part of it, but ILLEGAL? That I have never heard of. Where can I find a copy of this law? (what legislation etc) Im very interested.
Melchior3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 04:51 PM   #22
ZA-289
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Locking petrol caps people!
ZA-289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 04:54 PM   #23
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think its illegal to leave the keys in it, not unlocked.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #24
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've had someone try, but they didn't get anything (or not much).

Unfortunately in the process, they forced my fuel door open, which cracked it. I had to replace my fuel door after that.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 05:51 PM   #25
Hunter
Ex EL Falcon

I haven't had any issues lately... in my old gemini someone stole the fuel flap but I don't think they stole any fuel ( : ).

Recently I was going through a lot of fuel and it had occurred to me that maybe some bastard had stolen my fuel but then I realised that I was talking about a Falcon .
Old 10-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #26
irlewy86
Meep Meep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melchior3
I knew about the insurance part of it, but ILLEGAL? That I have never heard of. Where can I find a copy of this law? (what legislation etc) Im very interested.

I know it became law in Queensland at the start of 2006, apart of the national road rules requirement (so I dare say its in every state by now). You weren't able to leave your car without locking, engaing the handbrake and leaving it in gear. $75 fine or something.
Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM   #27
Transit Truck

Ah so Jeep isnt stupid... I have on mine a manual door with an ignition key locked cap... They must of learnt that in America a long time ago
Transit Truck is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:44 PM   #28
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

We get fruitpickers trying to steal it around here, well, they will steal anything actually...

They steal it to drink...freaks...

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-01-2008, 07:55 PM   #29
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

You can buy spiral spring anti syphoning devices that you push in the inlet pipe and these http://www.capitalstores.co.uk/produ...d4a918fd0f1e34

And you hope this happens:

Quote:
Seattle: When a man attempted to siphon gasoline from a motor home parked on a Seattle street, he got much more than he bargained for. Police arrived at the scene to find an ill man curled up next to a motor home near spilled sewage. A police spokesman said that the man admitted to trying to steal gasoline and plugged his hose into the motor home's sewage tank by mistake. The owner of the vehicle declined to press charges, saying that it was the best laugh he'd ever had.
http://darwinawards.com/stupid/stupid1999-17.html
Old 10-01-2008, 08:03 PM   #30
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

I think the reason anti-siphon devices are now less popular is that the crims soon found could still access the fuel by cutting the rubber inlet pipe, removing the bung from the tank or with plastic tanks stabbing a hole in the bottom - actions that caused more damage than just having the fuel siphoned out.