Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 03-03-2006, 05:14 PM   #1
Justin@
Banned

Question thermo fan

i am going to put a thermo fan on the eb tomorrow, just getting one of the supercheap auto ones but they need a temp switch to run them,
my question is will a davies craig switch work with this
any ideas?
thanks

Justin@ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 05:45 PM   #2
OED666
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes a davies craig switch will work, but you may find that 1 thermo fan will not cool your car enough...

you would be better off getting a set of el thermos and using the davies craig switch
Old 03-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #3
Psycho Chicken
Banned

A single unshrouded fan on an engine that is prone to cooling issues is NOT a good idea.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:23 PM   #4
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by OED666
yes a davies craig switch will work, but you may find that 1 thermo fan will not cool your car enough...

you would be better off getting a set of el thermos and using the davies craig switch
depends.
if it is a good quality single fan it will cool sufficiently.

i have had a 16inch single fan on mine for 2 years. I race my car regularly too and have had no heating problems.
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:45 PM   #5
Justin@
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho Chicken
A single unshrouded fan on an engine that is prone to cooling issues is NOT a good idea.

is that for the 6 or the v8?
Old 03-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #6
BuuBox

Hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much, but how much approximatly would it cost do to a Thermofan conversion on an EB S1? You obviously need the thermofans themselves, probably second hand EL units, but what else besides the temp switch?

My good ol' clutch fan has ИИИИ itself, and I figured might as well make the most of the situation!
BuuBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 07:50 PM   #7
Psycho Chicken
Banned

The 6. Mind you it'd be pretty silly to try cooling an 8 with a single fan as well. As said, you're better off getting a pair of EL fans. They will bolt straight on.
Old 03-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #8
Justin@
Banned

so if i get the el/ef ones what wireing do i need?
Old 04-03-2006, 12:14 AM   #9
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Explain why its silly trying to cool an 8 with a single fan?
One of my best friends has a ZH fairlane 351 solid cam big stall runs 12's and its a pretty heavy car. It runs the same fan as mine and has had this combo for over a year now.
520rwhp
Old 04-03-2006, 12:31 AM   #10
LUXO_8
windsor user

2 fans gives greater surface area on a rectangle shaped radiator..... unshrouded, a single fan wont be as efficient as 2 smaller fans...

if the single fan also uses a fan shroud, it will cool pretty damn well..

that said, im going the ef type fans on my NC....
LUXO_8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 10:11 AM   #11
snapnscooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuuBox
Hope this isn't hijacking the thread too much, but how much approximatly would it cost do to a Thermofan conversion on an EB S1? You obviously need the thermofans themselves, probably second hand EL units, but what else besides the temp switch?

My good ol' clutch fan has ИИИИ itself, and I figured might as well make the most of the situation!
I did my EA for a total of around $280.00.
- Non genuine fans from MarkGibbs Panel House in Brisbane: $220.00 inc postage
- Davies Craig Thermo Switch Kit from Supercheap (includes: 1 switch, 1 relay, 1 fuse holder and wiring): $45.00
The kit is really only suitable for a single fan so I added an extra relay, fuse holder and wiring to suit (I don't use the aircon so I didn't worry about that side of things, if you do you'll need 3 relays and 3 fuse holders). I put it all in a zippy box from DickSmith. I also put a couple of small pilot lights discretely under the dash to let me know they were working and it also makes it easier to set the temp switch accurately.
I also went one stage colder in the thermostat thanks to the advice of the bloke at BPT motorsport.
I've covered over 7,000 k's since the conversion, at least half of those pulling a horse float up and down hills and ranges. I have to say, it's one of the best things I could have done for the old girl.
Better on fuel, more power, free revving and kicks up less dust on gravel driveways.

Last edited by snapnscooter; 04-03-2006 at 10:17 AM. Reason: forgot something
snapnscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2006, 08:11 PM   #12
Justin@
Banned

well its done!!!!!!
got au twin fans and the davies craig switch for $180 all up and spent all today playing with it to set it up right.
i gave the cooling system a good flush while i was at it. it works great now
thanks for everyones input
Old 04-03-2006, 08:13 PM   #13
LUXO_8
windsor user

Quote:
Originally Posted by juzzy_eb5
well its done!!!!!!
got au twin fans and the davies craig switch for $180 all up and spent all today playing with it to set it up right.
i gave the cooling system a good flush while i was at it. it works great now
thanks for everyones input
wish i could get a can of motivation and set up mine....
Old 04-03-2006, 08:19 PM   #14
Justin@
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
i give you a hand it you need it. Its really worth doing
Old 04-03-2006, 08:20 PM   #15
LUXO_8
windsor user

thanks anyway but i'm right doing it, ive got my loom made, got my fans, just gotta get off my butt and get them in there....

probly next weekend.....(though i said probly this weekend through the week haha)
Old 04-03-2006, 08:24 PM   #16
Justin@
Banned

i was going to do mine weeks ago .....lol
Old 05-03-2006, 06:09 PM   #17
blwneb
come join me

hey juzzy howd did you mount the au fans, upside down, or correct way
Old 05-03-2006, 07:06 PM   #18
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by eed-250
Explain why its silly trying to cool an 8 with a single fan?
One of my best friends has a ZH fairlane 351 solid cam big stall runs 12's and its a pretty heavy car. It runs the same fan as mine and has had this combo for over a year now.
Sweet, one car is running fine with a single unshrouded fan, I'll rush out and do it to mine....errr not.

I know too many people running one and even two unshrouded fans with issues to even think about it.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:30 PM   #19
snapnscooter

Quote:
Sweet, one car is running fine with a single unshrouded fan, I'll rush out and do it to mine....errr not.

I know too many people running one and even two unshrouded fans with issues to even think about it.
Nothing wrong with a single fan used in the right situation.
It depends what shape radiator you have. I you've got a pre-crossflow radiator (square) use a single large fan and if you have a crossflow radiator (rectangle) use 2 smaller fans.
The idea is to cool as much of the radiator as you can. The Davies Craig website tells you which fans suit which Make/Model/Engine.
Old 05-03-2006, 07:37 PM   #20
Justin@
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blwneb
hey juzzy howd did you mount the au fans, upside down, or correct way
they slot in the right way, nice fit too. Looks like factory fit ( other than the wirering, but im in the prosess of making a loom for it
Old 05-03-2006, 07:44 PM   #21
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by snapnscooter
Nothing wrong with a single fan used in the right situation.
It depends what shape radiator you have. I you've got a pre-crossflow radiator (square) use a single large fan and if you have a crossflow radiator (rectangle) use 2 smaller fans.
The idea is to cool as much of the radiator as you can. The Davies Craig website tells you which fans suit which Make/Model/Engine.
I'll have a quick stab and say no one in the e-series forum is running a square radiator.

Could be wrong though.
Old 05-03-2006, 09:05 PM   #22
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADNC_8
Here's some motivation for ya:

I did mine this arvo :P With a lot of help from Pilch... (thanks mate!)

OK so I forgot to bleed the system before taking off, and as a result the wheezer hiccupped and the main hose thought it'd loosen itself a little in the process. Having the electrics in the spash zone made things interesting!

I'll fix it tomorrow :P

PS lol@"loom"
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 10:24 PM   #23
blwneb
come join me

hey juzzy what rad you got eb i thought there wasd a problem with fiting au fans, to eb thought they had to be turned upside down
Old 06-03-2006, 07:29 AM   #24
snapnscooter

Quote:
I'll have a quick stab and say no one in the e-series forum is running a square radiator.
Could be wrong though.
I think you're giving yourself a quick stab??? No need to be a smart ИИИИ!
I was just saying that the only time I'd use a single fan is if I had square radiator. I'd never run a single elec fan on a rectangular (crossflow) radiator.
You must cool as much of the surface area of the radiator as possible.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:11 AM   #25
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

no need for scarcasm dick.

where did i say it was unshrouded?

You say its pretty silly trying to cool an 8 with a good quality single fan..... serisouly that just shows how much you know. :
520rwhp
Old 07-03-2006, 12:25 PM   #26
jPod
Jp

Default EF Fan the go

I had an EF fan fitted to my EBII, and it has worked a treat. The car is more powerful, fuel efficient and that horrible howling noise is gone. The fan also keeps my engine cooler than the standard fan, as it cools the engine a lot faster, so it doesn't run for as long. It costs between $500-$600, but is well worth it, probably better idea than an Autobarn fan. I've had no issues with it, and recomend it to all early E-series drivers.

Jp
jPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 01:50 PM   #27
snapnscooter

Quote:
depends.
if it is a good quality single fan it will cool sufficiently.

i have had a 16inch single fan on mine for 2 years. I race my car regularly too and have had no heating problems.
There's no reason why it wouldn't.
Don't worry about the knocker and theorists mate. You've done it and have shown it to be efficient.
I myself have 2 fans. The only reason is you get more of the radiator that way and the EL's are an easy, cheap way of doing it.
My Irrigation pump has an International truck motor (Perkins) and it uses a single Electric fan (I don't know what size it is, but it's big) and it works better than the original fixed fan. The motor can run up to 24hrs non stop at high revs in the middle of summer. This motor takes alot more cooling than a puny falcon motor.
Some people seem to post on this site regardless of there actual hands on knowledge.
Old 07-03-2006, 05:51 PM   #28
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Quote:
no need for scarcasm dick.

where did i say it was unshrouded?

You say its pretty silly trying to cool an 8 with a good quality single fan..... serisouly that just shows how much you know. :
Whatever "dick".

Where did you say it wasn't unshrouded? The guy is clearly talking about wacking a single fan from supercheap in. He made no mention of shrouding it.

Your's works, good for you. I know of too many that have had cooling issues to even consider it. And why would you, when Ford have spent the money designing a set up that works.

On an E-SERIES (you know, the ones without the square radiator) a single fan is stupid. Sure it might work, but why would you bother when a twin will work better.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:35 PM   #29
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3ap3r
I had an EF fan fitted to my EBII, and it has worked a treat. The car is more powerful, fuel efficient and that horrible howling noise is gone. The fan also keeps my engine cooler than the standard fan, as it cools the engine a lot faster, so it doesn't run for as long. It costs between $500-$600, but is well worth it, probably better idea than an Autobarn fan. I've had no issues with it, and recomend it to all early E-series drivers.

Jp
$500-$600?!?

Mine set me back <$200, and that was AFTER I took it to the mechanics to fix a small ИИИИ up I did. Parts~ $100, mechanic visit ~ $90

And there are others out there who can do/have done it way cheaper than me.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 08:02 PM   #30
DentEd XR8

Nothing wrong with the single fan on a viscous hub cooling a V8 (EB/ED) is there?