Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 19-08-2006, 07:21 PM   #1
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Location: Under the bonnet, trying to keep as clean as above!
Default Urgent help needed, car won't start!

hi all,

well finally the motor, tranny everything is in the car. turned it over without spark or fuel to get oil pressure up then went to start it. it turns over, i have fuel and i have spark. the motor is coughing a bit so heres what i can come up with:

1. timing out.
2. fuel (95) is 7 months old and i'm ruuning a 10.3:1 comp.
3. somthing to do with the computer? have to be reset?

so what else could be the problem and what should i check?

i'm going to drain the fuel tank tomorrow and put in BP 98 ultimate. anyone know how to do this?

i pretty sure to advance the timing you turn the dizzy anti clockwise? and i have to short out 2 pins aswell?

thanks heaps.
pete j

EB Pete is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 10:48 PM   #2
eed-250
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

coughing.. how bad? Does it idle?
Could be bad fuel or if it doenst idle and is missing like a mofo the dizzy could be a tooth out!

You will need to put the ecu into tuning mode so short out the first top and first bottom pins *ithink

Good luck
520rwhp
eed-250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

yeah sounds like dizzy is out a tooth make sure its on TDC and the rotor button points to start IIRC

also try another ecu in it, but check the dizzy first.

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 12:35 AM   #4
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
yeah sounds like dizzy is out a tooth make sure its on TDC and the rotor button points to start IIRC

also try another ecu in it, but check the dizzy first.

well in the book it says you put the rotor on the start mark then when you put the dizzy in the rotor should be pionting to the finish mark. i'm pretty sure it's not a tooth out cause i checked it a fair few times.

the 'coughing' noise it is making is when it is turning over. what i mean by coughing is there is a bit of combustion but not enough to get going. i mucked around with the timing abit but didn't short out the 2 pins, so i'll try that tomorrow aswell as the fuel.
Old 20-08-2006, 01:26 AM   #5
XRated
Shoot.

This is just a super wild suggestion, but is everything earthed properly?

20V Turbo

XRated is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 10:52 AM   #6
efgiar
rofl copter

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRated
This is just a super wild suggestion, but is everything earthed properly?
yeah a bad earth will cause it not to run proply or at all, make sure u sand back the earth cable lugs and the area ur bolting them to to ensure a good earth. check how much pressure ur fuel pump is putting out, good luck mate

thats all
Old 20-08-2006, 12:26 PM   #7
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

all the earths semm to be good.

i just changed the fuel over to BP ultimate 98 and played with the timing. it started but just idle at wot so i don't know what else to do.
Old 20-08-2006, 01:52 PM   #8
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

how do you tell which terminals are what at the ecu?
Old 20-08-2006, 02:23 PM   #9
efgiar
rofl copter

there should be some diagrams on here in the gallery, have a look, but it still sounds like its out a tooth or the timing is out a mile and a half. did u check spark on all leads? and how old/new is the dizzy, dizzy cap, rotor button, leads, and spark plugs. could be caused by a bad spark

thats all
Old 20-08-2006, 03:45 PM   #10
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
there should be some diagrams on here in the gallery, have a look, but it still sounds like its out a tooth or the timing is out a mile and a half. did u check spark on all leads? and how old/new is the dizzy, dizzy cap, rotor button, leads, and spark plugs. could be caused by a bad spark

well unfortunatly i think you may be right with the dizzy being out by one tooth. the tfi module is sitting hard up against the TPS module on the throttle body and it is running at about 2 degrees retard. it is going now but does the intake manifold have to come off or is there enough room to lift the dizzy and move it 1 tooth? and just to make sure to advance the timing you turn the dizzy anti clockwise?

Last edited by EB Pete; 20-08-2006 at 04:03 PM.
Old 20-08-2006, 04:56 PM   #11
Christiaan
Tuned @ Pitlane Frankston

Petrol has an additive which means it won't last more than 3 months, and it goes stale. The oil companies do this so that people can't stockpile petrol before a price hike, or keep petrol for pro-longed periods of time.

My bet is that the timing is out, and the petrol isn't helping either.

The petrol will smell like paint/paint stripper if it's off. Check it by removing the fuel line in the engine bay and smelling it.
Christiaan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 06:32 PM   #12
INJECTED_250
Custom user title

u can get the dissy out easly with the manifold on... With the engine at TDC compression set the dissy so the rotor is pointing to the line just before the finish mark...
Sounds like the timing is WAY retarded
INJECTED_250 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2006, 08:21 PM   #13
EB Pete
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well just fixed the timing problem and the timing light decided to giveway! it's sorta alright now but once i get the timing spot on and the idle fixed i will be good to go.