Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 29-01-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Radiater/Coolant Flush?

Hey Everyone,

My coolant overflow tank is all dirty and looks crap now (But still cleanable) i want to flush out the whole system and put fresh coolant in, how do i do this?

I wanna clean out the overflow tank and the radiater..The whole lot

Could someone please help me!

Thanks,

Cheers

Simon :

Last edited by OZFORDAU; 29-01-2007 at 01:18 AM.
OZFORDAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
peterban
AULTD

The easiest way to have a nice clean overflow tank is to buy a new one.
I have tried just about every method suggested to clean mine and have just bought a new one ( $100 with sensor built in )
peterban is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 01:14 AM   #3
OZFORDAU
Banned

Default Cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterban
The easiest way to have a nice clean overflow tank is to buy a new one.
I have tried just about every method suggested to clean mine and have just bought a new one ( $100 with sensor built in )
Ok will a BA overflow fit in the same spot, as in bolt straight to where the exsiting bolts are? And will the sender work that comes with the BA one or can i still use the AU sender?

Im still wanting to flush the whole system thou..

Cheers

Simon
Old 29-01-2007, 09:55 AM   #4
JoesAu

all i did was took one of the pipes off connected to the radiator start the car and it pumped it out.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:01 AM   #5
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Wait Till the Car is Cold , Open Top Radiator Hose and Undo the Hose going to Overflow , Let Drain , Add Rust Inhibitor and Water , Do hoses up , start car , turn car off , flush all inhibitor out with Water , Do all Hoses back up , Fill with New Coolant (Nulon Green) Start Car , Check For Leaks ,

Presto !

Any Problems , Get Whoosha to do it Simon ...

AU2PWR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 10:03 AM   #6
SSVPom
Formally FairmontPom

out:
SSVPom is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 11:27 AM   #7
ef_classic
Banned

Does the sensor just plug straight in, or is there some wiring involved?
ef_classic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #8
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU2PWR
Wait Till the Car is Cold , Open Top Radiator Hose and Undo the Hose going to Overflow , Let Drain , Add Rust Inhibitor and Water , Do hoses up , start car , turn car off , flush all inhibitor out with Water , Do all Hoses back up , Fill with New Coolant (Nulon Green) Start Car , Check For Leaks ,
That's pretty much what I do, except I also have the heater on hot and fan on full bore, as it helps circulate the water through the heater hoses etc. I have the car running with the tap hose in the thermostat housing and have the kep it running for around 10 minutes, or until all the brown water disappears and becomes clearish again.

At this point, turn the tap off and keep the car running until all water stops coming out of the top radiator hose (do this on petrol - the fail safe cooling takes over).

Do up all hoses etc and let the car rest for around 20 minutes.

Then fill up using your coolant of choice, and add water - do all this through the overflow tank.

To clean the overflow tank, a sand slurry works - just shake it to buggery and make sure you get all the sand out once it is clean. You can even use that CLR clear stuff - works fairly well - again, make sure it is thoroughly flushed out after it's clean and before re-installing.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 01:25 PM   #9
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Yeah , CLR is Known to Eat Away at Radiator hosing if it is not Thouroughly Cleaned , Also eats Alloy and Plastic ...

Easiest thing to do on your car , Bar Driving it !!!

daniel

Old 29-01-2007, 01:43 PM   #10
patrat
Starter Motor

Just off topic a bit, I flushed my system out yesterday including overflow tank. Not sure if I put the hoses from the overflow tank back in the right places. Does the hose from the thermostat housing go on the left or right outlet on the O/flow tank? (looking from front)
patrat is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 02:01 PM   #11
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Left. Actually, it doesn't really matter - the tubes are not one way valves, so either way will do.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

Old 29-01-2007, 03:57 PM   #12
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

which hose do you take off at the overflow? the bottom or the small ones?

my water is really brown, what can i run through to flush it all out?
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 05:18 PM   #13
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

amiers , The Larger of the Hoses can be taken off , (Not Hot , They are Pressurised , and HOT !)

HOW TO CHANGE COOLANT AND FLUSH SYSTEM
By Daniel (AU2PWR)
  • Undo the Bottom Radiator Hose and let Water/Brown Stuff/Coolant Drain ,
  • Put the Hose Back On , And Add Rust Inhibitor and Water , Put on Radiator cap and Top Hose and Run for 30-40secs , Turn Car off and Wait 2 Minutes for hte Inhibitor to Settle , then On Again for 30 Seconds ,
  • Leave for another 2 Minutes , Remove Overflow Cap to Releive Pressure ,
  • Remove Top Overflow Hose and Bottom Radiator Hose and Let all Inhibitor and Water run out ,
  • Place some Strong Sticky tape over the Overflow Holes and Add 15mls of CLR to the Overflow and Fill with Water , And Let Sit for 5 Mins , then Drain it and Squirt with Hose , Brown stuff should be Loosend and Come Up clean ,
  • Put all Hoses Back on (if your Unsure , Mark with a WhiteTexta before Removing anything )
  • Use a Good Quality Coolant , I use the Nulon ASTM D 4985 Because its Long Life and is Recommended By Ford for General Use in the I6 Motors
  • Fill the System with ONLY Coolant , Grab 1 of these , $34.95 @ R&E Autos , and Put the Overflow Cap back on along all of the Hoses , make sure they are Tight
  • Start Car and Give it a Rev , If you see the coolant level drop dramatically (rare) remove Overflow cap and top up ,
  • Replace Cap , Start , Should be All Ok and thats It ,
  • CONGRATULATIONS , YOU HAVE JUST DONE A COOLANT CHANGE !
And here are some Helpful Hints for looking after your Cooling System ...
  • Dont Hammer your Car On a Hot Day with the Aircon On , Hoses Will Explode if they get Hot Enough ,
  • Always Carry Water/Spare Coolant Around Just Incase ,
  • Check Your Hoses for Signs of Fraying , Rubbing or General Wear'N'Tear ,
  • Check your Overflow Cap , the Rubber Orange Ring inside may decay over time , a New Cap might be a Better Alternative ,
  • Long Life coolant is meant to last for 250,000ks , Change it Every 20,000ks as it Breaks up in a Molecular form after 15,000ks
Thats About it , Damn , My Fingers are sore from typing that .... :

Cheers ,
Daniel

Last edited by AU2PWR; 29-01-2007 at 05:32 PM.
Old 29-01-2007, 05:30 PM   #14
Davo3460

errrrrrrrrr 2 Bottles of un diluted concentrate yeeeeeeeeeee harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Davo3460 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-01-2007, 06:21 PM   #15
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

I Could Write a GK Style , How To Change a Panel Filter if your Unsure Simon ....

Old 29-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
amiers , The Larger of the Hoses can be taken off , (Not Hot , They are Pressurised , and HOT !)

HOW TO CHANGE COOLANT AND FLUSH SYSTEM
By Daniel (AU2PWR)
  • Undo the Bottom Radiator Hose and let Water/Brown Stuff/Coolant Drain ,
  • Put the Hose Back On , And Add Rust Inhibitor and Water , Put on Radiator cap and Top Hose and Run for 30-40secs , Turn Car off and Wait 2 Minutes for hte Inhibitor to Settle , then On Again for 30 Seconds ,
  • Leave for another 2 Minutes , Remove Overflow Cap to Releive Pressure ,
  • Remove Top Overflow Hose and Bottom Radiator Hose and Let all Inhibitor and Water run out ,
  • Place some Strong Sticky tape over the Overflow Holes and Add 15mls of CLR to the Overflow and Fill with Water , And Let Sit for 5 Mins , then Drain it and Squirt with Hose , Brown stuff should be Loosend and Come Up clean ,
  • Put all Hoses Back on (if your Unsure , Mark with a WhiteTexta before Removing anything )
  • Use a Good Quality Coolant , I use the Nulon ASTM D 4985 Because its Long Life and is Recommended By Ford for General Use in the I6 Motors
  • Fill the System with ONLY Coolant , Grab 1 of these , $34.95 @ R&E Autos , and Put the Overflow Cap back on along all of the Hoses , make sure they are Tight
  • Start Car and Give it a Rev , If you see the coolant level drop dramatically (rare) remove Overflow cap and top up ,
  • Replace Cap , Start , Should be All Ok and thats It ,
  • CONGRATULATIONS , YOU HAVE JUST DONE A COOLANT CHANGE !
And here are some Helpful Hints for looking after your Cooling System ...
  • Dont Hammer your Car On a Hot Day with the Aircon On , Hoses Will Explode if they get Hot Enough ,
  • Always Carry Water/Spare Coolant Around Just Incase ,
  • Check Your Hoses for Signs of Fraying , Rubbing or General Wear'N'Tear ,
  • Check your Overflow Cap , the Rubber Orange Ring inside may decay over time , a New Cap might be a Better Alternative ,
  • Long Life coolant is meant to last for 250,000ks , Change it Every 20,000ks as it Breaks up in a Molecular form after 15,000ks
Thats About it , Damn , My Fingers are sore from typing that .... :

Cheers ,
Daniel
If all you're getting back in is 5lt of coolant, that means you are not flushing the radiator. Most I've managed to get back in is around 12 litres, and the full capacity is 15 litres. So I put in 5lt of coolant, and then top up with water to make the (almost) 15 litre capacity - dropping the bottom hose does not get everything out of the motor. Undoing the top hose and running th car got me the 12 litres. On a V8, I wouldn't run the car up past L on the temp scale as it doesn't have failsafe cooling.

Old 29-01-2007, 08:53 PM   #17
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davo3460
errrrrrrrrr 2 Bottles of un diluted concentrate yeeeeeeeeeee harrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr
Not good to run excessive amounts of undiluted coolant ... it will stop it from freezing in winter well ... but in Summer ... the main part of cooling is water ... and the correct amount of coolant will aid in cooling ... too much and the cooling effect changes if there is too much coolant (it actually runs a bit warmer than it should).

Hence why you need to follow the instructions on the bottle ... and in the owner's manual (that's why Ford spend millions of dollars on R&D).

Just a heads up
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-01-2007, 01:23 PM   #18
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

My Dad and My Car have always Run Undiluted , Never Had a Problem

Old 30-01-2007, 07:52 PM   #19
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Quote:
My Dad and My Car have always Run Undiluted , Never Had a Problem
If all you're adding is 5L, then you are diluting it with whatever is left in your radiator/cooling system. You cannot run concentrated coolant only without experiencing some problems at some stage. Some coolant you buy (Tectalloy, IIRC) is already diluted, so perhaps that's what you have been using.

Old 30-01-2007, 07:56 PM   #20
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Nah , Not that stuff , we usually buy two of the 5 Lt Bottles and put the 10Lts in put water for the rest

Old 30-01-2007, 09:46 PM   #21
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC
If all you're adding is 5L, then you are diluting it with whatever is left in your radiator/cooling system. You cannot run concentrated coolant only without experiencing some problems at some stage. Some coolant you buy (Tectalloy, IIRC) is already diluted, so perhaps that's what you have been using.
Tectaloy 90 or 100 is my preferred coolant!

Just pour it in!

Stay cool everyone! LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-02-2007, 03:25 AM   #22
OZFORDAU
Banned

Talking Thanks

Quote:
I Could Write a GK Style , How To Change a Panel Filter if your Unsure Simon ....
Sorry i haven't been on my IP has been down for a few days! Ok lol, im preety capable of changing a panel filter i think Daniel lol but if i do need help i'll asl haha : :togo:

I'll flush out the system using ur instructions!

Cheers

Simon :evil3:
Old 01-02-2007, 07:07 AM   #23
AU2PWR
Spin 'em Habib !

Be Careful Now , dont want you hurting yourself....