Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 21-08-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Mk 1 Zephyr

hey guys, i am now the proud owner of a straight, low rust Mk 1 Zephyr.

Whatever happens to it, its going to get new paint, and eventually re-covered seats (seats are accapteble, but there are some cracks and a small tear starting on the drivers side of the front bench), a fresh engine, all new suspension bushes and brakes.

Im after info on hotting them up slightly, what normally becomes the weak points when this is done, and general things to look out for.

During the rebuild, it is likely to recieve a head job, a little more compression (somewhere above the stock 6.8:1), side-drafts, extractors, and if i can afford it, a mild cam.

The aim of the project is to create something that someone back in the 60's would have made as a mild street/strip car (im after mid-high 16's, shouldnt be pushing my luck that much)

so aside from weak points, things to watch out for, etc. can anyone give me any specs on them (performance would be nice)?

all i know is 68 hp @ 4000rpm, with the hockey stick exhaust manifold and 27mm (single throat) downdraft carby

BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-08-2005, 08:23 PM   #2
buickman
buickman

A guy at work has got 2 mk1 Zephyrs & is going to build 1 out of the 2. His going to fit a 302 V8 windsor with a 9 inch. There are a few English streetrodder Mags with diffferent mods to the MK1 that I've seen.
Actully in the latest Ford Performance mag there is a pic of a Black MK1 in Qld doing 10 sec 1/4's . Speco thomas performance made parts for the Zephyr mtrs to go.
buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 08:12 AM   #3
LTDHO
The one and only

My dad bought a MkI to restore.
Very straight and no rust, but needs interior done.

The only thing I suggested he do is fit a EL motor and trans. Considering current fuel cost and the efficiancy of EFI.

I don't think they have any weak point, these were made when car were supposed to last!
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe

Last edited by LTDHO; 22-08-2005 at 06:57 PM. Reason: MkI not MkII
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #4
BLSTIC
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

nah no engine conversions, if i have to modify the body the value will probably drop. ill just do up one of the spares, so if i blow up the engine, i still have the matching numbers block still in good nick, and its still the 'right' engine for the car.

25mpg standard isnt that bad anyway, and with those mods (aside from the cam) that can only get better
BLSTIC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-01-2008, 06:21 PM   #5
stealth25au
Starter Motor

Hi guys,

If you are looking for zephyr parts. A guy i work with has an extensive range of parts for all zephyrs...he has a MK iV himself.

Here is his website and contact info and a list of some of his parts.

http://users.mrbean.net.au/~purvis/
stealth25au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post