Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 01-07-2006, 04:48 AM   #1
BABOSS

Default Roadkill

How many of you have had the shiiiiiittt scared out of you when cruising down a quiet road at night and all of a sudden running over a kanga or something and not realising it untill the last moment? I'm not talking about causing roadkill but rather running over existing ones.

The finger of blame usually points to stupidly designed EF headlights that give you minimal viewing distance.

Please feel free to share your roadkill experiences whilst i recover from my near heart attack.

BABOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 06:00 AM   #2
Rmyers
Does Steve have a car?

Had a couple of close calls with kangaroos, other than that, i've only ever hit the odd bird. Not that i condone such things, but it's a little ammusing to see the explosion of feathers afterwards (i always feel a little bad though :P)

"When Chuck Norris jumps into water, he does not get wet, the water gets Chuck Norris..."
Rmyers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 06:23 AM   #3
EFFalcon
Last warning

rabit while driving John_Xr6's car.
only birds in my car.

dont' have too many issues with already dead stuff :P
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
NC_GHIA
FirstOnRaceDay

I hate Kangaroos! This is how my ED Fairmont got totaled... I was driving back home from my old man's place (middle of bloody no where) and I was diving along at about 90km/h "I think" and this kanga jumped out... I mean A kanga not a wallaby at least 5'10" tall, I hit it with the left side Head light causeing it to blow and the kanga got draged under and got stuck on left front wheel(so I was told by dad) and I went spinning into the bush and went smack bang into this big **** tree....
NC_GHIA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:33 AM   #5
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i remember easter a few yrs back had a hire car was driving just out side of st arned (spelling) hit a roo or somthing simular couldnt find it when i stopped but it made a mess of the front end

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 09:49 AM   #6
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmyers
, i've only ever hit the odd bird. Not
SA guys may remember the bird I hit on the way down to Victor harbour.

(Sorry to the guy behind me who go covered in blood and feathers)

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 10:51 AM   #7
-jjM-
Banned

uncle terminated a kangaroo out coopa peedy years ago wit out old ZK
besides some small busted doors did well
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 11:13 AM   #8
Dezza
Parts bin special

I've hit a few birds but nothing that was already dead. The funniest was when I hit a galah. Feathers went everywhere and the galah was launched 5m into the air! I pulled over to see if it had scratched the car or anything (it hadn't) so my sisters (who were in the car at the time) laughed at me, because they thought I had pulled over to see if the galah was okay. I had to tell them, there was no way a galah would have survived that. I spent about half an hour later picking pink feathers out of the radiator.

Daily 2014 SZII Territory diesel - basic runabout

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
2000 AUII Fairmont - XR wheels, Ghia interior
2010 FG XR50T ute - XR8 bonnet, Streetfighter intake
Dezza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 12:28 PM   #9
Walkinshaw
Two > One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ea_silver_ghia
I've hit a few birds but nothing that was already dead. The funniest was when I hit a galah. Feathers went everywhere and the galah was launched 5m into the air! I pulled over to see if it had scratched the car or anything (it hadn't) so my sisters (who were in the car at the time) laughed at me, because they thought I had pulled over to see if the galah was okay. I had to tell them, there was no way a galah would have survived that. I spent about half an hour later picking pink feathers out of the radiator.
Through the WA wheat belt they eat the wheat, and end up getting so heavy/drunk off of it that they cant move too quick. Flock of galah's ended up writing of a 1989 VN that my folks had. Made a mess of the front end, and toasted the engine with a holled radiator.

Walkinshaw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2006, 12:31 PM   #10
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkinshaw
Through the WA wheat belt they eat the wheat, and end up getting so heavy/drunk off of it that they cant move too quick. Flock of galah's ended up writing of a 1989 VN that my folks had. Made a mess of the front end, and toasted the engine with a holled radiator.
LOL. The one I hit flew across in front of me, saw that I missed it so it turned around and dived straight into my front Ford badge.

Previous Cars 1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - Tickford engine, 5 speed, SVO wheels, bodykit, much more
Old 01-07-2006, 02:48 PM   #11
Jet-Star

Living right out of town and being a keen sporting shooter/verman controller I find my self running over rabbits on a regular basis in the EF Hardly ever hit birds though, mainly just the old easter bunny.
Jet-Star is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 08:30 PM   #12
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Well there was the time I hit a dog at 80kph in the XE... and as I got out of the car its drunk owner stumbled up towards the road.

Then another car hit the dog.
Then the drunk's children came up asking where their dog was as I was apologising to him.
Then another car his the dog.
Then the drunk said to the kids that the sack of fur & fluids on the road was just "a really big cat".

I ended up "filling" a cardboard box with the remains of this dog and dumping it 5km away, at the drunk's request. The damn **** of the box nearly fell through when I lifted it back out of the boot due to the dog saturating it!

I didn't enjoy my dinner that night.

================================================== ========

I've had more amusing times in the EB though, one time I was driving into town with some mates in the car with me, & three parrots swooped in front of the car. We noticed that only two birds kept on flying on, but quickly forgot.

So, we pulled up in a supermarket carpark whilst purchasing copious amounts of alcohol, tobacco, meat and other "weekend dietry requirements", and when we were heading back to the car we noticed a small crowd gathered around the EB.

Well bugger me! The damn parrot was wedged in the grille and flapping like mad! I popped the bonnet and "tapped" the bird from behind to squeeze it out of the grille, and it flew off ^_^

The radiator was a bit of a mess, as half of the parrot's featherage was on it.

I've also hit two wombats in the EB. The first one was dead, and luckily rotten at the time. I hit its "husk" right between its head & it's ****, so I squished through the soft middle part. It didn't smell too good though!

The other one was unfortunately alive and in an emo mood, as the little bugger watched me slow down, then darted out in front of me and sat in the middle of the road. WHUMP! We've all heard the saying Built Ford Tough, and this wombat must've had a bit of F100 in its blood! I don't know what exactly happened to that little bugger, but he went under the block and out under the passenger side door, and would've had the mother of all hangovers the next morning.

Stupid wombats.
mcflux is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 PM   #13
Kommandant
ED4LYFE

I do night patrol (security) and was driving to a clients site last night when a rabbit ran out infront of me and i swerved to miss, the little bugger must have ran underneath the car and out the other side in the brink of time, I was pretty grateful to see him still alive.

Even though they are a pest around my area, they are still animals.
Old 02-07-2006, 08:36 PM   #14
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Destroyed a few birds but thats really it!!!

Become an E-Series Owners Club Member Today!
http://eseries.com.au/index.php/membership/
snypereb is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 08:37 PM   #15
LukeyBAXR6
BA XR6

We ran over what looked to be one flat cat on the way to Port Wakefield in my mate's VY.. was quite the laugh, because for the rest of the trip we kept thinking that the plastic bags on the road were more.

Only other time i've witnessed it would be One Tree Hill watching a Kangaroos go for a fly hitting the car behind us at about 60. It hopped away!
Old 02-07-2006, 09:12 PM   #16
The Goodz
E-Series Firemaker

On the way out to glenmaggie I hit a roo with the ol' crate while going around a bend at 100km/h, stupid thing ran out onto the road from the left hand side and hit the corner of the car. Took out the headlight (bits of glass all over the windscreen, scared the **** out of me and my mrs), the indicator, cracked the paint all along that side of the bumper, bent the support arm from the bumper and distorted the bumper slightly, and dented the guard next to the indicator and just below the plastic moulding near the door. It was well and truly dead... I should've taken it back with me and had a BBQ!

Alex

Automotive photography, fine art landscapes, portraiture
Photo retouching and restoration

The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 09:29 PM   #17
Dezza
Parts bin special

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
I've had more amusing times in the EB though, one time I was driving into town with some mates in the car with me, & three parrots swooped in front of the car. We noticed that only two birds kept on flying on, but quickly forgot.

So, we pulled up in a supermarket carpark whilst purchasing copious amounts of alcohol, tobacco, meat and other "weekend dietry requirements", and when we were heading back to the car we noticed a small crowd gathered around the EB.

Well bugger me! The damn parrot was wedged in the grille and flapping like mad! I popped the bonnet and "tapped" the bird from behind to squeeze it out of the grille, and it flew off ^_^
Bahahahahaha. That is funny as Dave. What a classic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Goodz
On the way out to glenmaggie I hit a roo with the ol' crate while going around a bend at 100km/h, stupid thing ran out onto the road from the left hand side and hit the corner of the car. Took out the headlight (bits of glass all over the windscreen, scared the **** out of me and my mrs), the indicator, cracked the paint all along that side of the bumper, bent the support arm from the bumper and distorted the bumper slightly, and dented the guard next to the indicator and just below the plastic moulding near the door. It was well and truly dead... I should've taken it back with me and had a BBQ!

Alex
Damn. I didn't know the damage was that bad. I'm always quite slow around those Glenmaggie roads at night. There are plenty of kangaroos around there.

Old 02-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #18
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
Destroyed a few birds but thats really it!!!
Same :P

But that's deviating from this discussion of automobiles colliding with fauna...
Old 02-07-2006, 10:00 PM   #19
Damo
Banned

hahaaha, i bet you've smashed heaps of birds Dave, of many different varieties.
Damo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:05 PM   #20
Perana
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hmmm I've hit 2 roo's (at different times), a few rabbits including one huge one that was closer to the size of a fox, a number of feral cats, an echidna. I think there's more but cant remember them at the moment.. The only real damage caused was from the roo's..
Perana is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:09 PM   #21
BABOSS

Well theres nothing like a combination of a dark, wet, windy, 100km/h road and a roo coarpse, then being up on 2 wheels and trying to regain control at those speeds in a split second.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:10 PM   #22
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damo
hahaaha, i bet you've smashed heaps of birds Dave, of many different varieties.
This is one of the funniest posts ever!!
Dave your a pimp arent you?

Old 02-07-2006, 10:21 PM   #23
mcflux
Banned
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by snypereb
This is one of the funniest posts ever!!
Dave your a pimp arent you?
: That I am!

Leather interior >> velour :
Old 02-07-2006, 10:33 PM   #24
snypereb
[EBGLT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghia5L
: That I am!

Leather interior >> velour :
Lol the ladies man!!!! : :

Old 02-07-2006, 10:38 PM   #25
BaYa
Just Cruzing

i had a taxi driver coming down the wrong side off the road STRAIGHT at me, at 2:30 in the morning pulled over and blasted him with my horn but he kept goin, ****en taxi drivers
BaYa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 10:48 PM   #26
samftr
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Toads make kewl noises, but make sure you get that toad guts off the car before it sets AYE KARUMBA.
hit an owl in my sigma, then a friend wacked a wallaby with his rolla jees that made a mess. got a wallaby in the ea, i wasnt gonna avoid that one, swerving on a one lane road doing something around 80 or so little bastard jumped in front of me. dented the rego plate with something and cracked the lhs indicator didnt do much else. I have heard of some people in hq's hitting cows etc... the hq was written off and the moo got up off the road and walked off. my cousin hit a cow in his vn... jees he is lucky to be alive..

PS you need some spotties, so you can see better and blind **** hole cab drivers LAWL (jokes)

Felcen!
samftr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2006, 11:09 PM   #27
Falcon Freak
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlasherEF
How many of you have had the shiiiiiittt scared out of you when cruising down a quiet road at night and all of a sudden running over a kanga or something and not realising it untill the last moment? I'm not talking about causing roadkill but rather running over existing ones.

The finger of blame usually points to stupidly designed EF headlights that give you minimal viewing distance.

Please feel free to share your roadkill experiences whilst i recover from my near heart attack.
:

Here is a good summary of what AFF members have runover.

FF
Falcon Freak is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2006, 12:01 AM   #28
BABOSS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Freak
:

Here is a good summary of what AFF members have runover.

FF
FF most things are reposts on this forum, they are just worded differently and would take forever to search for, it also helps when you're the thread starter or remember a specific thread you posted in. :
Old 03-07-2006, 08:41 AM   #29
naughtyfalcon
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

the only thing i've hit in the ea was a kangaroo out the back of bathurst,,little ****. :jab:
is there a sware filter on this forum? :jab:

Last edited by naughtyfalcon; 03-07-2006 at 08:52 AM.
naughtyfalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post