Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 09-04-2007, 08:42 PM   #1
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default bye-bye e-series

well, i went and had a look at a subaru impreza today. only a 93, but its got 121k and is in immac condition. since i've started driving the fairmont everyday its beginning to cost way too much to run for me. working stuff all hours and paying for school all adds up. especially since i'm looking at investing at the moment.

the el is now officially for sale. i want about $6500 for it. if it doesnt sell in about a month, dad is gonna give me 5g's for it and use it as his daily once he completes his xw (probably another 5 years _ )

hopefully one day i'll rejoin the club with a boosted e-series.

till then, i'll still be browsing around, absolutely spewin i havent been on a cruise yet, but ah well...

John

castek is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #2
The Goodz
E-Series Firemaker

Sorry to hear you're leaving the e-series fold, but I personally wouldn't bother going to a subie, not because there is anything wrong with it, but because I don't believe the meager fuel saving justifies all the hassle of changing cars... But that's me personally. I hope you enjoy the new ride and eventually sell it and get back in an e-series

Alex

Automotive photography, fine art landscapes, portraiture
Photo retouching and restoration

The Goodz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:15 PM   #3
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i forgot to mention insurance is cheaper lol.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:16 PM   #4
-jjM-
Banned

youll be back, youll ALL BE BACK!!!
yea i cant really see the difference in the savings your going to make between the 2 cars honestly but i do like the impreza's, particularly that year model...
-jjM- is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #5
Nostalgia
LOW AND SLOW

All the best with your Subaru. By the way has anyone ever tried spelling subaru backwards. lol.
Nostalgia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:20 PM   #6
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Damn, you just did the diff too! Sweet car though, so good luck with the sale!
private9 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2007, 09:24 PM   #7
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes, urabus lol.

i know, and let me tell ya, that diff made it so much more fun to drive. gonna miss sliding out the back up at my uncles place in ballarat.

the thing i didnt check is if the scooby is 4wd or not

fuel all adds up in the end, might only save a couple of hundred, but better in my pocket.
Old 09-04-2007, 09:54 PM   #8
[Tonko]
What's green is gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAadam
All the best with your Subaru. By the way has anyone ever tried spelling subaru backwards. lol.
Yes! i did in grade 3, it was funny then.... :

EF XR8 - Koni's - Cam and Headwork -3.9s - Ex VIC TMU -

1982 Nissan Patrol - 460 ci Big Block soon - Semi Gloss Black - Dark Tint - 4x 6" Infinity Kappa Perfect Splits - 5" Kappa 2 ways - Kappa 6x9's - 2x12" Kappa perfect subs - 2x4 Channel and 2x Mono Kappa amps-

[Tonko] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 04:55 PM   #9
nothin suss
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1tufel
yes, urabus lol.

i know, and let me tell ya, that diff made it so much more fun to drive. gonna miss sliding out the back up at my uncles place in ballarat.

fuel all adds up in the end, might only save a couple of hundred, but better in my pocket.

Welcome to urabus world... Ive had mine for 1.5 years or so now, i like it but i miss my ED ( sold about 2 months ago :( )

The falcon and subaru were on par for highway economy but about town the scooby-doo is alot better. Falcon was auto with 3.45's and my Liberty is 5spd man 2.5l....

Im still on the lookout for another 'daily' falcon. Probably an LTD? GO TO THE TIP AND TOW THE BIKES ABOUT IN STYLE!
Old 10-04-2007, 07:42 PM   #10
FRDXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
yes, urabus lol.

Fairly sure all subies are 4wd thers no 2wd models. Get an RS turbo or WRX halfcut and chuck all the good gear in there. Would make a nice 4wd sleeper!
FRDXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 10:39 PM   #11
LOWAU

LPG

hahahaha
LOWAU is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 10:47 PM   #12
fairmont1998
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Keep the EL and use the LPG rebate. Then it'll be cheaper than a ScoobyDoo to run.

2012 KK Jeep Cherokee Limited CRD - Still going strong
2019 MG ZS Essence
1988 RD Mitsubishi Colt GL - 59kW of Fury
2022 Kia Stinger GT
fairmont1998 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-04-2007, 10:57 PM   #13
gngtho
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairmont1998
Keep the EL and use the LPG rebate. Then it'll be cheaper than a ScoobyDoo to run.
turbo, premo juice
service cost more
ohh turbo blows there goes 900 bucks
insurance through the roof
jappo parts are harder to find.

Mate stick with the e-series, JUST GET LPG
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-04-2007, 08:25 AM   #14
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lol, unfortunately it is a fwd. its one of the first impreza's. Gas is already not worth it these days. where dad works, the company utes all run duek fuel, the new BA's only have petrol, because the price to mileage cost of gas isnt worth it. its what the government wanted, give a rebate, slowly bring up the price. insurance is cheaper than for the el, i'll get a couple of bucks back from justcar. half cuts are getting cheap these days, i saw an rs liberty GT half cut for $2500.
Old 11-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #15
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
lol, unfortunately it is a fwd. its one of the first impreza's. Gas is already not worth it these days. where dad works, the company utes all run duek fuel, the new BA's only have petrol, because the price to mileage cost of gas isnt worth it. its what the government wanted, give a rebate, slowly bring up the price. insurance is cheaper than for the el, i'll get a couple of bucks back from justcar. half cuts are getting cheap these days, i saw an rs liberty GT half cut for $2500.
If you're thinking turbo conversion on the povvo pack Impreza, don't do it. If a turbo Impreza is what you want, then buy a WRX. By the time you get it done it will owe you more than a WRX, will pretty much be uninsurable and will cost you a fair bit to actually get engineered and legal. After that you'll still have the poxy interior, plain exterior and only FWD vs AWD.

With LPG, I had my EF converted a few months ago, and the conversion cost me $500 out of pocket. The car cost less than half the price to run and it didn't take long at all to get that $500 back in fuel savings.
Old 12-04-2007, 07:29 AM   #16
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, looks like i might be driving the el a little longer. the impreza was bought pending an racv check, which came back with "caution." the clutch was totally worn, it was leaking oil, and apparently it doesnt run good when cold (it was warm when we got there because they just got home). so luckily i got the check done, because a clutch on these things isnt the cheapest thing.
i've decided on borrowing some cash and buying something decent, so either a rexxy or a newer liberty.

man it sucks having to wait for an answer from these people
Old 12-04-2007, 08:11 AM   #17
EFFalcon
Last warning

people who say the running cost savings of LPG arnt worth it, arnt using LPG.
i'm using $50 a week on fuel going to and from work every day with plenty of cruising done inbetween with a turbo'd EF.
doing the same k's on petrol in a stock EF would cost about $80 a week if not more!
DAILY - BA Fairlane Ghia, Boss 260 Turbo
OFFROADER - Ford Explorer
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2007, 04:41 PM   #18
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i've had a duel fuel car, and it really wasnt worth it for me. the car ran like **** and only saved about $5 a per fill up. i even had it tuned to just run on gas but it drank more :S
Old 12-04-2007, 07:59 PM   #19
private9
www.TUFFCARPARTS.com

Quote:
i've had a duel fuel car, and it really wasnt worth it for me. the car ran like **** and only saved about $5 a per fill up. i even had it tuned to just run on gas but it drank more :S
Sounds like you had a bad run. I had my EF done a few months ago, and honestly it cost less than half to run. I did have a few niggling issues with the install though, but only because the installer was an oxygen thief!
Old 12-04-2007, 08:04 PM   #20
castek
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

well, i went and looked at a 3gen liberty. its a nice car, grouse L/100k. hopefully the racv check comes back with a green light