Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 13-09-2006, 06:48 PM   #1
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Default Brake Squeel, Arrh

Well i finally got absolutely fed up with my new brake pads, they are shizen housen to the extreme. About 5000klms ago, i replaced my old Brake pads with some new Bendix Heavy Duty's (Damn Bendix for Discounting Metal Kings) and they have been nothing but trouble, after about 100klms they started squeeling almost constantly both under brake load and just generally whilst driving. In fact the pads are garbage in general, ive never seen a brake pad overheat so easily, ever time i exit my car i get the beautiful odor of cooked brakes.

Now the rotors were previously not warped, but with these new pads i can feel a slight warp. Nethertheless though, is there anyway i can get these things to stop squeeling short of getting new pads and rotors; Could the rotors be glazed over ? or should i have ago at using that Stop Squeel stuff in a can?

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 07:08 PM   #2
XR6-VCT-2000
Fantastic Plastic

Hehehe , nothing worse than squeeling brakes . If your sure your discs aren't glazed and really shiny and smooth as a babys bum ( this will cause squeels too ), You could try removing the pads and skiming the glazed face off the brake pad surface, just put a bit of emery paper / sand paper (nothing too course / around 800 grit ) on a flat surface and rub the pads over it a few times, then when the glazed finish is off them ( they will look sorta like a dusty/buffed powdered finish now ) / get the pads and rub them together a few times in circular motion ( 1 brake pad in each hand / pad facing in at each other ) .. wipe of any excess dust etc off them then re-install them.

Oh , the heavey duty pads really are for people who are late/fast/and hard on the brakes / they are more of a track/racing type of brake. Someone who drives like a daily driver and slows the car down gradually over a fair distance ( light footed on teh brake until the car stops ) will glaze heavy duty pads up in no time.

Myself and friends had good succsess using this method with annoying squeeling brakes. Gl , cheers.

:eclipsee_
XR6-VCT-2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 07:42 PM   #3
blue terra
au=gold

My tyre and brake bloke told me about this with bendix that they had problems with them squealing. And recommendedsome other brand.
He also said that the pads (bendix) were being swapped over because of this squeal.
blue terra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 08:39 PM   #4
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I put in my T3 auto about 3mths ago some new DBA's and Bendix Heavy Duty's...
Daily driver and spirited driving lets say, no worries at all,maybe not the best pad I have tried but still no squeels thats for sure. My only complaint is they don't bite real good but when I have pull up quick they do that.
Did you bed them in properly ?
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 09:02 PM   #5
Fairlane
V8 Powaah

Yeah i bedded them in properly, its got me a bit stumped really, i cant see howd they would glaze over, im not exactly Mr Softie on the brakes, its a daily driver but ive done a few runs through the Old Pac and that. I might have to have a look at the rotors on the weekend and see how bad they are.

The fact they are squeeling just about all the time has go me thinking that maybe they are warped quite bad.

XF S pack Sedan- AU 302 Windsor, T5, 2.77 LSD, Many Mods
Fairlane is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2006, 09:18 PM   #6
tufLTD
tufLTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairlane
Well i finally got absolutely fed up with my new brake pads, they are shizen housen to the extreme. About 5000klms ago, i replaced my old Brake pads with some new Bendix Heavy Duty's (Damn Bendix for Discounting Metal Kings) and they have been nothing but trouble, after about 100klms they started squeeling almost constantly both under brake load and just generally whilst driving. In fact the pads are garbage in general, ive never seen a brake pad overheat so easily, ever time i exit my car i get the beautiful odor of cooked brakes.

Now the rotors were previously not warped, but with these new pads i can feel a slight warp. Nethertheless though, is there anyway i can get these things to stop squeeling short of getting new pads and rotors; Could the rotors be glazed over ? or should i have ago at using that Stop Squeel stuff in a can?
You have made the most common mistake people make when fitting new pads, you didn't machine the rotors.
The new flat pads will be riding on the high spots of the rotor, resulting in localised overheating of both the pad & rotor, causing the inevitable brake squeal.
To add to the problem, the rotors will be covered with old brake dust & dirt embedded in the almost microscopic imperfections in the unmachined surface of the rotor & this will contribute to glazing, overheating & squealing.
The cure is simple, get your rotors machined or replaced.
Old 13-09-2006, 11:30 PM   #7
jossa
Best AU body kit - NONE

All pads have compromises in terms of their performance in different areas. It's stopping power vs longevity vs dusting vs noise vs rotor wear vs etc, etc, etc. If we are talking Bendix, their Ultimate pads have greatest stopping power and therefore they are aggressive on rotors, have a shorter life and are dusty and can be noisy especially when cold. The heavy duty pads are designed for high temp use and for longevity eg. taxis, couriers, towing. As Bluedriver said they don't bite well. This is beause the pads are still cold. Once they heat up (eg frequent braking, heavy stop or towing) they work much better. The compromise with these pads are lack of cold temp bite, increased rotor wear and noise. Not machining the rotors would not have helped especially with these pads.

I personally am not a fan of any of the Bendix pads. I currently have Ferrodo Formulas in mine (AUIII with DBA slotted and PBR calipers). They are very dusty but are quieter than the PBR ones that came with the calipers. For an everyday pad that can put up with high temps every now and then try Ferrodo Excel. I have them in my BA ute and in my wife's Astra. IMO thay beat Bendix in every area and have a higher heat rating!

Get some new pads and machine the rotors. Cheaper than going through can after can of Stop Squeak!!! Take that pads back to where you got them and make a big deal of the problem and you will probably get your money back or a credit at least!!
jossa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-09-2006, 10:11 PM   #8
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Just an IDEA this was recommended by "FORD"....my girlfriend had all her pads changed on her XR6 Ute Series II by ford and they sqealed on any brake application....got worse with pressure.....they (Ford) told me to get the car upto 140+ kph and brake to 0 kph and as hard as possible (on a race track obviously) ....and to repeat the step 3-5 times....I did this and for once Ford was right no dramas since....I know you shouldnt have to do this but maybe if you can get to a race track try it!!!

Goodluck
Old 15-09-2006, 07:04 PM   #9
SirHenry
Falcon Unbelievable!

I had the usual "Ford Squeal" about six months ago before I changed over to some nice Lucas pads. Yeah I know you get a bit of brake dust with them but I have never had a squeek out of them, they always stop when I need them to stop damn things are unreal go the Lucas pads! :sm_headba
SirHenry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post