Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 04-02-2007, 08:14 PM   #1
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Over haulin

Anyone watch it on Fox?

Today's episode saw a firebird get the foose works. As usual, the end result was fantastic. What i found interesting is that with all the money and effort these guys put in, after they fitted the suspension, they removed the springs and took to them with an angle grinder to make the car sit lower up front. Seems a bit dodgy to me. Maybe cutting springs in the US is legal.

So even the great Chip Foose cuts corners.

Anyway, thats today's peice of useless information.

Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 08:22 PM   #2
Jason[98.EL]
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yeh i watch it every tuesday night at 8.30pm

the work they do on the cars is awsome

what you saw today is a repeat from tuesday

jason

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Jason[98.EL] is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 08:36 PM   #3
Night Runner
- V8 ENTHUSIAST -

Thumbs down

Anythings better than the crap Boyd puts out........
Well, he's better than the Pimp My Ride cars but that's not saying much.
Old 04-02-2007, 08:43 PM   #4
poolkeeper
Its Resonating!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NZ-TS50
Anythings better than the crap Boyd puts out........
Well, he's better than the Pimp My Ride cars but that's not saying much.
Your on the money there... x3
poolkeeper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 08:49 PM   #5
MAGPIE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Foose gives me the s%*ts, he always asks the opinion of the targets friend/relative as to what they think the target would like paint scheme wise then does his own thing anyway : why bother !
MAGPIE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 09:12 PM   #6
Sean-87

I thought the cutting of the springs did seem a bit dodgy but it looked good in the end.

It's a good show, well worth watching.
Sean-87 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 09:19 PM   #7
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Great show, would love to see tat concept down here, would be awesome to see Foose give a Classic Falcon or Kingswood/Monaro a makeover!
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 09:30 PM   #8
robs_ls1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPV8U
Great show, would love to see tat concept down here, would be awesome to see Foose give a Classic Falcon or Kingswood/Monaro a makeover!
Yeah. That'd be good to see.
robs_ls1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 10:20 PM   #9
big_pete
Sublime

Quote:
for sure, that would be great.
good for the whole car scene too, with sponsors and big names getting involved.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #10
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

No pay TV at my place.

I have the first season on DVD and think it's great. When are season 2 and 3 going to be released on PAL DVD :

What are they up to know, season 4 or 5 :

FOOSE is the man!
Old 04-02-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknaked
Anyone watch it on Fox?

Today's episode saw a firebird get the foose works. As usual, the end result was fantastic. What i found interesting is that with all the money and effort these guys put in, after they fitted the suspension, they removed the springs and took to them with an angle grinder to make the car sit lower up front. Seems a bit dodgy to me. Maybe cutting springs in the US is legal.

So even the great Chip Foose cuts corners.

Anyway, thats today's peice of useless information.
For the quality of cars those guys bring out cutting the springs is real dodgy work.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 10:28 PM   #12
Raptor
^^^^^^^^
Donating Member2

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For quietly going about moderating in a fair and even manner. 

Cutting the springs is only dodgy if the steel loses it's temper or goes beyond its elastic limits. In reality this might only happen a small % of the time.

But the good old save-us-from-ourselves Aussie authorities ban it outright. It seemed to work fine on plenty of old Holdens and Falcons when I was doing it 20 years ago ;)
Old 04-02-2007, 10:31 PM   #13
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Cutting the springs is only dodgy if the steel loses it's temper or goes beyond its elastic limits
I cut a set of TE Cortina springs to much & the shockers started leaking after about 6 months. But it looked neat
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2007, 10:32 PM   #14
Ford_Boy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i love that show. the foose mustangs are ausome. they get the standard mustangs nd put all foose gear on it and work the engine,suspension , brakes and more. even interiors i think. great cars and they are how the mustangs should already be released.
Old 05-02-2007, 04:42 AM   #15
JADED6
V8 Ghia & BF2 XR6 + Wagon

Ok show but I start to think it's a bit fixed when they string them along for over a week.
If you're in the US, know of the show and your car is stolen, you'd be praying overhaulin have it.
JADED6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 06:44 AM   #16
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not a huge fan of Boyd, they do some very nice work, but I just don't like Boyd at all. Some interesting facts I just looked up about staff. I knew about Charlie.

Bluebear left

Charlie departed, going to work for Chip Foose after getting a better offer and tiring of Boyd's abusive management style.

Thomas left because of a difference of opinion with the boss; he disagreed with Boyd about how the cars should look and be put together.

Mike was fired for designing wheels for Chip Foose. Allegedly he was using Boyd's computers and doing the design work while on the clock.

In 2005, the 60 year-old metal worker Roy died

: @ Mike
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 08:02 AM   #17
xbcool
dazed&confused

Quote:

Ive been leaving the shed doorup but the old xa is still there :

as far as cutting the springs it seems a tad unprofessional ,(dont know if it changes the load rating ) it should have been done off camera.
they weld up rust on the cars too fast then need to bog wipe the entire car (seems a tad bodgy) I would love to see one of the cars a couple of years later.

as for Boyd ,nice cars terrible managment style.

American Chopper "lets chrome the frame that would look killer" frame turns up then Paul jr proceeds to drill holes in it :

beauty is only skin deep.
ugly goes all the way to the bone.
xbcool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 08:12 AM   #18
drcook
I Bleed Orange!

chip foose is a god but troy trepanier is just as good as him, love 'rad rods by troy' cars.

also West coast customs has ended their deal to do pimp my ride, because they were getting tired of doing that type of work, so they are now going to do a different show more like 'rides' so they can do more professional work.
Old 05-02-2007, 08:19 AM   #19
Tony xa
Streetrides panel & paint

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Tonys qualified advice on paint and panel is always very good 

I find all these shows and the cars they build amazing.I also find the deadline thing cheapens the build quality for me.I know I couldn't do what they do in a week in a year but I would like to see what could be done when working on a car with time .
West coast customs stopped doing pimp my ride because of the cheapness imagee they were starting to get and in my opion even though foose does a great job he does need to be careful not to hurt his reputation .This is the one thing I do like about hot rods and boydes show it does take longer but they do some rough stuff as well concidering the cars staff and money that customers hand over .

Oh yeah Troy at Rad rides by Troy is a very very good shop and builders .
I love the cars these guys produce and the way they go about building .Cars that kick butt on the street and would be at home at a show and where they aim to get the engine under the hood each time and still produce over 1000hp .
Troy would have to be my faverite builder
Tony xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 08:56 AM   #20
HOON69
Banned

car shows in order

OVER HAULIN
BIKER BUILD-OFF
MONSTER GARAGE
AMERICAN HOT ROD
{how the guys put up with boydand dwayne is beyond me**
GAS{pimp my ride**and the overseas versions are woeful at best :P WEST COAST CUSTOMS {old pimp my ride wasnt bad not like this GAS crap they have now**
I'd prefer to watch 4X4 was born then watch the new pimp my ride

as for the springs well im sure FOOSE has more experience in customising then all the guys commenting about it,im sure he knows what his doing and i doubt it'd even put a ? in his reputation his the No1 builder i love all the rides he builds.
HOON69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 04:35 PM   #21
majin_andrew

I don't have pay TV but was at Auntie and Uncles place when that episode came on. I love overhaulin and try to watch it every chance I get (which isn't often). I too was surprised when they cut the spring, but I guess (hope) they know what they are doing.

I'd still trust them to do my car :the_finge
majin_andrew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 04:44 PM   #22
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

hey Dwayne, i watched that one yesterday,, i laughed my *** off when i saw them attack the springs with an angle grinder.. the thing that really gave me the shites was how much the guy didnt appreciate it.. he kept saying that he was getting rid of it etc etc.

they can bring this show downunder and i would gladly let them take my XB "without" my knowing and have there way with it.. i can act all suprised and stuff too if they want
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 04:57 PM   #23
Hugeman2
Starter Motor

Gday...sorry to butt in....looking for a site with some specs/ like wheelbase, dimensions etc general stuff about 65 falcons ..xps etc..if you know of anything ?? ty if u do or don't
Hugeman2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 06:56 PM   #24
Quadcams
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor
Cutting the springs is only dodgy if the steel loses it's temper or goes beyond its elastic limits. In reality this might only happen a small % of the time.

But the good old save-us-from-ourselves Aussie authorities ban it outright. It seemed to work fine on plenty of old Holdens and Falcons when I was doing it 20 years ago ;)
A spring with a certain amount of coils is designed to take a certain weight, you cut them you reduce the amount of coils and reduce the spring rate and they "will" sag.
Couldnt count how many cars came into our suspension shop with there car sitting on the bump stops and in worse case starting to tear control arms off the shassy due to cut springs. Cut at your own peril.
Quadcams is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 07:23 PM   #25
XR8putts

"Sundays over summer - Oi! Oi! Oi!

All new! (cut in) 'Covery Channel - Oi! Oi! Oi!"

I wish they'd do a different ad for NZ :(

Love Over Haulin', can no longer stand American Hot Rod. Boyd is unbearable, its no wonder all his staff are leaving.

Not a fan of bikes at all, but the boys at O.C.C are pure gold to watch. Vinnie and Rick could do a show of thier own, thier skills and expertise is amazing. Paul Jr dosn't strike me as a genius, but is great to watch none the less - Mikey is the icing on the cake! Was watching the repeats today, the one where Mikey is promoted to head internet updater :
XR8putts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 07:26 PM   #26
El_Poochino

American Hot Rod is a drama, there is always somthing bad going down. But for the timeframe Boydd does put out some nice work.

Foose used to work under Boydd, then they fell out, from what I understand.

Foose cars are beautiful.

Pimp my ride? Bah, ugly things. Well not so much ugly, just zero practability. They know it's gonna be a daily, and little respect for there car. Yet they go put moniters everywhere and turn it into a showcar. 'Winners' probally buy another car and garage there 'pimp' ride. The UK crew understands that... somewhat.

Mark Evans is cool, with his '... is born' series. And wheeler dealers is a goodun too.
El_Poochino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 07:33 PM   #27
HSE2

The man is incredible.
BREAKING NEWS: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of "Suck It Up & Move On" after it crashed into "We All Have Problems" before coming to a complete stop at "Get the Hell Over It." Reporting LIVE from Quitchur Bitchin'
HSE2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 08:39 PM   #28
Conrad
Banned

Im sick of that show lol

I've never seen them lower a car, they just put on the chrome 44 inchers.
Conrad is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-02-2007, 09:20 PM   #29
sfr rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugeman2
Gday...sorry to butt in....looking for a site with some specs/ like wheelbase, dimensions etc general stuff about 65 falcons ..xps etc..if you know of anything ?? ty if u do or don't
What The?? :
start your own thread in the PUB.

hope that helps.

back on topic for a minute.

At least OverHaulin dont put LCD screens in mud flaps, or inflatable movie screens in the back of cars....
Pimp my ride is REALLY crap lately, the paint jobs, the overboard rice mods etc, on the other hand OverHaulin have done some really nice cars,like the black one the other night.
Old 05-02-2007, 09:23 PM   #30
sfr rob

oh... With Pimp My Ride, I have a theory.........

I believe that the people that get there cars "pimped" probably have to sign a contract saying that they must attend shows, and keep the cars up to standard. Also i think that they would'nt be able to sell the cars for a period of time...
What do ya's Reckon?