Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 13-07-2012, 12:31 PM   #1
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default new hoon laws

Campbell Newman has just anounced new laws that allow the confiscating of cars of people caught hooning. first offence car gone for 3 months. 2nd offence, car gone permanently, scrapped or sold. I wonder if this will have any affect on the people who do these things on public roads?

graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 12:37 PM   #2
blk6t

Default Re: new hoon laws

It won't do a single thing....

My sister inlaw's friends who are self confessed hoons, have had their cars confiscated, lost their licenses repeatedly and still continue to drive and conduct hoon activities...her boy friend is one of them and every time I see him he cops it from me and all he says it "oh well, I don't care", but the stuff his friends do and get caught for are astonishing, they just don't care about losing cars or their freedom, they still continue to do it!!!

So that's why I think it won't matter...to the majority
Old 13-07-2012, 12:38 PM   #3
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

What about someone who doesnt give way?! Or someone who is on drugs! Thats way more dangerous than someone doing 150 in the desert, or the same person stopping to do a smoky burnout!

Its rediculous all the publicity "hoonin" gets when its is the tiniest % of the problem of crashes!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #4
graham7773
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Maybe after they lose 2 or 3 cars they will re-think their attitude. Could get to be an expensive exercise especially if they get a holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure which is, apparently, on the drawing board. And I think the back room boys are considering using the English laws where if you are spinning wheels, you are not in control of your car. Again, loss of car and heavy fine if not loss of liberty for driving in a manner dangerous to the public.
graham7773 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #5
Trav199
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
What about someone who doesnt give way?! Or someone who is on drugs! Thats way more dangerous than someone doing 150 in the desert, or the same person stopping to do a smoky burnout!

Its rediculous all the publicity "hoonin" gets when its is the tiniest % of the problem of crashes!

easy money mate..

P.B 10.97@129.6MPH

CPV TUNING
Trav199 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Most people I know who have been caught more than once. Buy cheap $200 $300 car from auction and go thrash it. They do nto care if they get caught and lose this car.
xisled is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 03:34 PM   #7
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

Who the hell is Campbell Newman?
and what state does this come into effect?

2nd offence, car gone permanently WTF

If you ran into the rear of some one by accident and the police attend they can and will most likely charge you for dangerous driving

So now if you have an accident are they gonna take you car off you.

What a joke

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
GTP owner
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by graham7773
Maybe after they lose 2 or 3 cars they will re-think their attitude. Could get to be an expensive exercise especially if they get a holiday at Her Majesty's pleasure which is, apparently, on the drawing board. And I think the back room boys are considering using the English laws where if you are spinning wheels, you are not in control of your car. Again, loss of car and heavy fine if not loss of liberty for driving in a manner dangerous to the public.
A fine doesn't mean anything off welfare - you can't get blood out of a stone. And they just buy another unroadworthy pile of junk off ebay to do it again.
As for prison time - does it work? It costs us as taxpayers plenty to keep someone inside our overcrowded jails, so if it is ineffectual, why would it be used?
E3 chubsport - fully fat (and slow), sitting there waiting for me to get sick of it and sell it.
BA XR6T for a daily
NT Pajero for the bush
XB 4 door project- swallows a BF xr6 turbo

My dad is a generous bloke. He gave away his dead car batteries free of charge....
GTP owner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 03:51 PM   #9
shifted

Not many people see a need to get involved with track days and the like (maybe due to the costs involved?) - I can't say I haven't done anything stupid on the road before but having had a CAMS License now for a year and still not having been able to make it to a track day (dates never worked, still need to buy a helmet, certain events require fire extinguisher etc.) it is still something I hope to achieve rather than being a muppet on our roads.

Personally the welfare system here is a joke (and its handouts) - taking from the rich to give to the poor hasn't ever worked and too many have the mentality that they are deserving of a hand out and doing SFA... tougher consequences won't necessarily net anything either - education is also the key but you don't see schools doing it like they do in Europe and teaching individuals about driving, servicing/maintaining a car, road conditions, etiquette, first aid etc. while in high school making them ready for the life long skill they'll have in driving, instead they made Religious Education a TEE subject.... priorities.

I haven't had any assistance even though I work part time and study full time since I was 17 - didn't get the $900 KRudd bonus, can't go on centrelink to aid in study because the job I do have makes me earn slightly more than centrelink allows for the week. Some people studying don't work at all and live off of centrelink even though their parents pay for their **** all because they can't be ****** getting a job... I'd rather work - but seeing them get something out of just not caring leaves me a little disappointed.

Saying that, I have nothing against those on the system for legitimate reasons such as disability... it's the moochers that are a problem.
shifted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I get sick & tiried of reading about some polition bringing out another law for hooning! Just the easy anwser for them that solves nothing & thats proven because as blk6t said they don`t care! What they need is a bloody outlet! Somewhere they can go to & do this stuff in safety,where they can showoff to there mates & run against them even,& not cost the earth!

Here in Newcastle we used to have a place like that where they had a outlet to chuck burnouts & stuff & you could see the drop in it happening on the roads! But as per normal they shut that place down & back to the streets they go! So if the pollies are so worried about it they would call for a public meetings with the so called car hoons & car enthusists & see how to go about solving it!
Old 13-07-2012, 03:59 PM   #11
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorted
Who the hell is Campbell Newman?
and what state does this come into effect?
Premier of QLD. That state on the top right had side of Australia.
Old 13-07-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
mytgxl
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Didn`t you used to have some good programs up there Chris like race a cop & so forth?
Old 13-07-2012, 05:14 PM   #13
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytgxl
Didn`t you used to have some good programs up there Chris like race a cop & so forth?
I think they use to have it at the drags occasionally.
Old 13-07-2012, 06:48 PM   #14
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mytgxl

You mean out on the street after you have stolen a car?

Sorry no such programs have been around for at least 15yrs.
"Operation Drag" was in the 1990s where Police had two VK (?) Commodores which were driven by Police officers at various drag meets, the cars had all the Police stickers and lightbars on roof.

Even QLD Transport had a VK or similar era Commodore which was "modified" legally and had roof light bar and stickers. This car would be shown at car shows to display what was legal etc... Transport officers would be there to answer questions... AND... they would go over your car and tell you if it was OK or not and NOT GIVE you an infringment. It was word of mouth... this is whats wrong with it, please fix it.

Of course letting people off and speaking to them like normal humans is frowned upon these days and revenue raising was not on the radar much in those days.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 07:50 PM   #15
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The state is currently in major debt, this is just another fund raiser in my personal opinion.
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 07:58 PM   #16
HULK EF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yep, money making government scam. Its all smoke and mirrors hiding behind fake claims of road safety.

i see hundreds of stock cars driving "spiritedly" on the street by average non "car enthusiast people".. -Are they going to get bashed by the same "HOON STICK"?!!!!???!!!!

Acurrent affair and these so called "Hoon laws" are a joke.

WE DRIVE WE VOTE.
HULK EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 08:15 PM   #17
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

It is rubbish. The whole "hoon" tag has gone too far. A few months back my dad was pulled over in a stock as a rock hillux for "hoon" driving because his tyres screeched for 2 seconds as he went around a corner. They tried to say he was hooning and going to fast. Was a bloody joke as those tyres would screech doing 10km/h around corners. He did talk them out of it and they cautioned him but it just goes to show that the policing of "hoon" activities needs to be policed. I totally understand getting tagged a hoon if your flying around built up areas or doing burn outs in the street and cought multiple times but there needs to be a clear cut line of what is and isn't "hoon" activity.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #18
MAD
Petro-sexual

Having it all over the media is one thing, but when the police start to believe it is when it's a real problem. If they get caught up in the mass marketing and allow it to affect their judgement then we are all stuffed.
Old 13-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #19
Jim Goose
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

How can it be a money making scam?

The governent gets nothing from this except VOTES!

They take your car away, they sell it for a few dollars.... hmmmm
Or they can keep giving you fines?

Its a quick grab for votes and nothing more.

Don't write off the Goose until you see the box going into the hole....
Jim Goose is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 09:44 PM   #20
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpa_spec_F6
The state is currently in major debt, this is just another fund raiser in my personal opinion.
Nail, head, hit. QLD is munted, no money. I love it here but its a sad bit of affairs.

Also agreed with Goose its a vote grab. Also making it look good to the community aswell.

Try and confiscate my car when its on the track you douchebag
Old 13-07-2012, 10:16 PM   #21
syco26
Donating Member
Donating Member2

It is rubbish. The whole "hoon" tag has gone too far. A few months back my dad was pulled over in a stock as a rock hillux for "hoon" driving because his tyres screeched for 2 seconds as he went around a corner. They tried to say he was hooning and going to fast. Was a bloody joke as those tyres would screech doing 10km/h around corners. He did talk them out of it and they cautioned him but it just goes to show that the policing of "hoon" activities needs to be policed. I totally understand getting tagged a hoon if your flying around built up areas or doing burn outs in the street and cought multiple times but there needs to be a clear cut line of what is and isn't "hoon" activity.
syco26 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 10:34 PM   #22
superyob
Banned

For all you people who scream about revenue raising and political expediency, how would you deal with the idiots on our roads?
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #23
blackf6
R51 Pathy, 91 Jayco Swan

Look we all have fun driving. I am a truck driver and I love it. But to be totally honest the road is a necessity in this day and age to get from a;b, and no matter what you do if you break the law you will get caught eventually. With all the speed traps and what not. So for me it is just not worth it to speed or do anything wrong as I can't afford to loose my lively hood. So these laws just make it even harder to have any semblance of a good time. Any way sorry for my conforming flock of sheep, brain washed boring attitude. :(
blackf6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:29 PM   #24
MAD
Petro-sexual

A couple of things I'd like to know...
How many deaths/injury's per year are caused by these 'hooning' activities?
Where is there data to back up the decision to implement these measures?

More people commit suicide than die on our roads.
Old 13-07-2012, 11:41 PM   #25
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

I believe its very low

As in 2% or something!
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-07-2012, 11:44 PM   #26
grandpa_spec_F6
AFF Whore

Like most things, Australia follows the Europeans lead... climate.... emissions... except when they started removing speed cameras... that's not an acceptable 'revenue model'
My GMC Sierra is banned under Victoria's high powered vehicle laws, and its a 4082kg apartment complex on wheels.
Current Ride: Not a falcon, the struggle is real
grandpa_spec_F6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 09:16 AM   #27
superyob
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual
I believe its very low

As in 2% or something!
What a load of rubbish. Media regularly reports on single or multiple fatalities involving young drivers who were doing stupid things on the roads. Or is that not classed as hooning? Even if it were only '2%', does this somehow make hooning acceptable? What if your children or other relatives are in that 2%? I think that if you are hooning and you hurt or kill someone, you should be deemed to have intention to maim or kill. A car is a weapon just like a loaded gun.
superyob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 09:53 AM   #28
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by superyob
What a load of rubbish. Media regularly reports on single or multiple fatalities involving young drivers who were doing stupid things on the roads. Or is that not classed as hooning? Even if it were only '2%', does this somehow make hooning acceptable? What if your children or other relatives are in that 2%? I think that if you are hooning and you hurt or kill someone, you should be deemed to have intention to maim or kill. A car is a weapon just like a loaded gun.

3.7% according to this report.

http://www.carrsq.qut.edu.au/publica...hooning_fs.pdf

The problem with this sort of legislation is "abuse" by police. It's one thing to ticket someone for laying rubber away from the lights, it entirely different if someone chirps the tyres. There have been plenty of anecdotal evidence that police do use hoon legislation for very minor offences.

There were regulations already in place to deal with infringements without the emotive labelling applied to hooning. These laws are just a way for pollies to look tough and family friendly.
Old 14-07-2012, 11:16 AM   #29
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAD

I'd say 100% of road deaths are related to hooning since everything is considered hooning these days. Falling asleep at the wheel = hooning
Tailgating= hooning
Doing your make up in the mirror = hooning
Brake fail = hooning.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2012, 11:33 AM   #30
MWTB
I'm old and I fell

P platers with exhaust mods account for 100% of terrorism and old people falling over and hurting themselves.

They must be stopped before they start blowing up government buildings and suggesting that these new laws are just to 'raise revenue'!

82lb injectors, Walbro fuel pump, bigger cooler, Plazmaman piping, SS Growler, tune, ZF tune, Crow valve springs so far.

Ozracing coilovers, Pedders sway bars front and rear.

315rwkw
MWTB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post