Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > OzECruisers (E/N/D Series) > OzECruisers General Discussions

OzECruisers General Discussions E/N/D vehicles General Discussion ONLY. NO TECH THREADS

Old 11-03-2007, 03:16 PM   #1
Miller
It's Millertime!

Default My fun Friday. (630kb of images)

Well, started off at 7 in the morning to help my cousin move furniture back to his parents place as he is getting divorced. Everything is fine, finish up at about 5, then go and help my sister move furniture and crap to her new house which she was moving into, finished there about 9.
Was on my way home and got a call from a mate asking where I was. I completely forgot it was a mate of mines party that night, small get together type thing.
So I get home, chuck all my crap in the back of the EF and head off to Maraylya. Turn off onto Boundary road and am putting along doing 20kmh under the limit as I was trying to read directions on how to get there (wasn't holding up traffic, was 10pm by this time and it's a deserted road).
Get about 1km up the road and the car just dies...cuts out, nothing, absolutely nothing, didn't hear a bang or anything. I turn the car off the instant it happens and roll it onto the side of the road and throw the hazards on. Checked the road for oil..nothing, radiator filler thingo was full to the max line, could smell something funny, but didn't see anything burning or smoke. I just called the old man and we fiddled around for awhile, in the end he went back and got the LTD and towed me home.
Now, I had been thinking about it last night, and when we tried to crank it last night, it sounded like a car does when you do a compression test, so my guess what that the timing chain snapped and it had lost all the compression. Well, here is some pics of what we found.

Timing chain

Timing chain

Timing chain

Timing case

Inside, I think it's broken, just a little bit.

Timing cover

Again

Again

Piece of the cover

Also bits of the chain are floating around in there.

Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 03:21 PM   #2
frd_crzer
:D:D

Farkin hell that is bad feel sorry for you mate that is unlucky
Old 11-03-2007, 04:02 PM   #3
efgiar
rofl copter

damn man, looks liek the tensioner packed up? just drop in a complete au motor! perfect op for mods ;)

thats all
efgiar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 04:16 PM   #4
Miller
It's Millertime!

Cheers guys.

efgiar, you know, I am very highly considering it because in reality, it will not be much more than the price I will have to pay to get this fixed. It's a shame really though, because the engine is somewhat fresh still, the car and the engine have only done 107ks.

Do you have a rough figure on how much I am looking at for an AU engine, minus the gearbox?

Hmmm, just had a look on ebay, looking at anywhere between 400 and 900 I guess. There is a nice one on there that has had the sump modified to clear the K frame, it's about $800 though, there was another one on there for $400 with a 20000km/12 month warranty. Well, I will see how this one goes.

Pain in the *** though, because me and the old man are in the middle of putting a brand spanken new engine in his rs2000
Old 11-03-2007, 04:56 PM   #5
Sorted
OzEcruisers PRESIDENT

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: For all the contributions you make to the AFF community. 

I had looked at those Au motors on eBay, seems a good deal but they are in QLD - not in vic :( stupid transport costs.........

I want to buy a spare motor to do up so if anything happens like what has just happened to your motor I have one ready to fit in

Tuned by DYNOMOTIVE

200BUX - AFF Drag Nats 2019 EF Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by rednose View Post
Common knowledge that the more weight you take out of the car the less power you need to run the time.
Sorted is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 06:02 PM   #6
Miller
It's Millertime!

Yeah fair enough, if I pick up another engine I will probably do that. But for the time being, if it's cheaper to fix this, I'll just do that.

Otherwise a new engine it is!
Old 11-03-2007, 08:29 PM   #7
efgiar
rofl copter

au sumps can be modified for 100 from anyone who can tig weld.

thats all
Old 11-03-2007, 08:41 PM   #8
Miller
It's Millertime!

Yeah, my old man can weld, so that's not really an issue

We will see, hoping to get this engine fixed
Old 11-03-2007, 09:48 PM   #9
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

So long as you have not bent any valves they you can get out of it cheap .. less then 400
So yes You would be better off fixing your own motor.
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:11 PM   #10
Miller
It's Millertime!

Yeah, that's what I'm hoping ay lol. Don't really feel like pulling the head off at the moment.
Old 11-03-2007, 10:24 PM   #11
Gunns
Banned

Dare I say what happened is your PCV valve **** it self the ball bearing in it fell into the timing case, jamed one of the sprockets and snaped the chain. Fair chance you have bent the valves, but highly unlikely that you have smashed a piston, wont know until you take the head off.
Gunns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 PM   #12
Miller
It's Millertime!

I suppose. If the valves are bent I'm just going to buy another engine lol
Old 11-03-2007, 11:18 PM   #13
trick_xd
I build your wish list...

Where you live at Miller ?
trick_xd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-03-2007, 11:23 PM   #14
Miller
It's Millertime!

Sydney mate
Old 11-03-2007, 11:34 PM   #15
gngtho
Banned

ouch.
gngtho is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-03-2007, 09:49 AM   #16
efgiar
rofl copter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miller
Yeah, my old man can weld, so that's not really an issue

We will see, hoping to get this engine fixed

needs to be able to alloy weld for the au sumps, so if he can tig weld, and weld damn god cuz u dont want any leaks u got yourself a cheap sump :P

thats all
Old 12-03-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Miller
It's Millertime!

Nah, it's all good, he's a top welder, managed to weld up his own diff which was cracked, doesn't leak ;)
Old 12-03-2007, 12:12 PM   #18
efgiar
rofl copter

im not talkin about steel. im saying alloy. but anywho do an au conversion! u just need the bare motor no intake or zorst, and u need the alternator, thanks it, bolts straight up after the sump mod

thats all
Old 12-03-2007, 01:21 PM   #19
Miller
It's Millertime!

Quote:
Originally Posted by efgiar
im not talkin about steel. im saying alloy. but anywho do an au conversion! u just need the bare motor no intake or zorst, and u need the alternator, thanks it, bolts straight up after the sump mod

Yeah, there are a few good deals on ebay, if the valves aren't bent, or it will cost more for parts, I'll just get an AU engine.

****ed off though, cause I'm stuck driving my exa for the next week/two weeks. It is the slowest, most unpowered, shitty running, uncomfortable car. Only upside is it's a targa ;)
Old 13-03-2007, 11:17 AM   #20
Miller
It's Millertime!

Well, I've ordered a new chain from repco, also lined up a timing case from pick n pay less for $40. Chain is $100. So hopefully the head is still intact and I may just get out of this for less than $200