Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 07-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Surge Tank setup - Turbo AU

Hi Guys,

Just after a bit of advice.

When the AU is turbo again, I intend to have a surge tank setup in the boot to ensure the ol' girl has plenty of fuel.

I have a rough idea of how these setups work, I just need some clarity on a few things..

- Can I use my factory fuel pump as the "low pressure" pump from fuel tank to surge tank
- whats the best lines for the fuel? braided etc?
- Will I need to upgrade my factory fuel lines?
- Will I need to add any addition fuel lines for this setup?
- Will the factory regulator be sufficient, or will I need to add an external regulator? (I have external, but not sure if needed in the setup)

Any advice would be great as I want to start collecting parts over a long period of time to try save one lump sum costs.

Thanks matt.

Future fun: 1968 Ford Galaxie 500

ten[A]cio[U]s is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Also, is the diagram I have created above correct?

Old 07-12-2009, 04:51 PM   #3
The Monty
Just slidin'

What would be the problem in just doing a bigger intank fuel pump? Change the injectors, thats a given, and run a GSS341 Walbro or something, will flow 550hp, and say 42lb injectors.
Old 07-12-2009, 05:43 PM   #4
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Depending on what your final KW out put is to be, a Walbo in tank would be the way to go, and injection fuel pumps are high pressure not low not that it matters that much its more about the volume pumped out. Send RG a pm to see what his set up is or I can grab some picks of Kevs (Blown XR8 Ute 450+KW) for you if that helps.......

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 05:48 PM   #5
SLO AU XR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

That setup will be fine, There is a Turbo ED up in Brisbane that runs the stock pump as a lift pump, to an 044 mounted where the fuel filter normally is, no surge tank, filter relocated. It made an easy 317rwkw on 14psi
Forced Performance Tuned
SLO AU XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 06:44 PM   #6
justa6
justa6

yeah if you want 400rwkw then a surge would be recomended or high 300's. i got 350 or so with a walbro intank and bosch inline. and probably didn't need the walbro, but we thought my intank was stuffed. ended up just being the wire's.
in saying that it's always good to know your gunna have no problem's with fuel and they look pretty trick.
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2009, 07:21 PM   #7
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Also, is the diagram I have created above correct?
Yes, but I would make the supplys to the surge (The regulator return and the supply from the tank) lower down from the top. The four hoses should be like this:

1) Suction to main pump (044 or the like) off the very bottom, the tank preferably tapered at the bottom)
2) Primary (intank) pump inlet to be 30% of the way down from the top (70% from the bottom)
3) Regulator return to be in the same position
4) Overflow from surge to be at the very top.

The reason it is done this way id to reduce aeration at the top of the surge (thats why the two inlets are down 30%) and the overflow is at the very top purging all air. The suction at the very bottom to get the best gravity feed and the least likely chance of aeration and to eliminate all chance of surge under heavy fuel use.... that is why the tank should be 3L minimum for drag racing, and 6-10L for circuit work IMHO.

Intank is fine, but i'd put a Walbro GSS294 in there as insurance.

Use teflon lined stainless braided in a -8 size for future upgradability for high volume use fuels like Methanol/Ethanol

Standard steel lines will support around 400rwkw on an AU and about 600rwkw on a B-series. I'd run the -8 braided and use the std return.

Heres a nice surge :

And nice fuel system to go with :evil3: :

Daniel
CAT600 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-12-2009, 09:04 AM   #8
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks guys, given me some good ideas!

I will try redesign my diagram CAT and see what I can do!

PS: I would like you fuel system haha!

(Please dont say I can have it for $##.## either lmao)

Old 09-12-2009, 01:17 PM   #9
ten[A]cio[U]s
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Another quick question, to save a bit of money but still have a better product.

$300 for BF F6 rods worth it for an AU engine?

Old 09-12-2009, 10:10 PM   #10
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out fellow AFF members... Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Daniels knowledge of modular engines and superchargers is extremely valuable to the AFF community. I have learnt quite a bit just reading his build threads. His contributions are often utilised by other members. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy-au
Another quick question, to save a bit of money but still have a better product.

$300 for BF F6 rods worth it for an AU engine?
They are an upgrade up to about 400rwkw

I would look into how much a set of Atomic/Nizpro rods are as well..... just a comparison as you may be going a bit further with the build down the track.

Daniel
Old 09-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #11
Stav
Smile

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always ready to help others over the years on AFF with advice and tips along the way 

I love you guys and have been running the walbro intank longer than anyone else I know in the au..I still get fuel surge in my na setup.Ideally you want a surge tank filled by stock pump and then a bigger pump after the surge tank.One thing I dot like is that too many people including the ba -f xr6t boys place the 044 too close to the engine bay and in car accidents ive seen the engine bays explode with a ball of fire..I feel farther back towards the tank away from heat of extractors for safety is a good idea..

Single din radio fascias for fg to fgx fords Australia wide .

FG 1 2 and 3 gauge holder in stock now! https://stingraycar.com.au/shop/
Site Sponsor See Sponsor Stingray Car Security 😍👌✌

AU wagon 6 14.241@96.75 1/4 mile sold.Octane fg xr6 turbo!! 12.312 112.21 mph home tune f6 injectors gone ..now in nitro fgxr6t ready to go again

Last edited by Stav; 09-12-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Stav is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2009, 10:26 AM   #12
CAT600
I miss my wheelbarrow
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stav
I love you guys and have been running the walbro intank longer than anyone else I know in the au..I still get fuel surge in my na setup.Ideally you want a surge tank filled by stock pump and then a bigger pump after the surge tank.One thing I dot like is that too many people including the ba -f xr6t boys place the 044 too close to the engine bay and in car accidents ive seen the engine bays explode with a ball of fire..I feel farther back towards the tank away from heat of extractors for safety is a good idea..
Stav,

I dont know what the AU wagon tank design is like, but if you spend a bit of time getting the pump as low down in the cradle as possible you can eliminate the vast majority of low fuel level surge. When TerminatorS has the factory tank and GSS294 Walbro with the 306rwkw Eaton blower combo and 285/30/18 R888 semi slicks, it would launch with full traction in first gear and no surge at all down to as low as 1/4 full tank......... RG (Russell) now has this cradle assy in his XR8 and it works trick for him too.

Just got to get that pump lower in the swirl pot cradle.

Daniel
This user likes this post: