Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 31-03-2008, 02:33 PM   #1
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Default replacement clutch

Mine's starting to slip and I think it's going to need replacing. Anyone know what sort of cost I'm up for for a decent one ? What brand I should be looking for?

Years ago when I had my old celica I remember something be able to be done with the clutch - adjusting it somehow?? before it actually needed replacing. The pick up point in it hasn't changed, it's just that you change gears and it might rev a bit before going anywhere.

If it were up to me I'd have an auto six speed in the car....

Daily Driver 2019 Ford Escape...looking for XR6T's.

loxxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-03-2008, 05:48 PM   #2
ENVI XR6

yeh your probably look around 350 for an exceedy heavy duty clutch and then at least a few hundred bucks for fitting and machining your flywheel.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM   #3
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Not sure with these ones ... the Textralia's are meant to be good ... but it comes down to how much power you have ... these might be a bit overkill for your setup.

Previous car I had a daiken heavy duty clutch ... had about 40% better clamping pressure than stock ... was was only a few dollars more than stock ... was worth the upgrade.

Might be best to speak to SBCS in St Marys ... or Western Brake and Clutch (I think it is) in Penrith.

Or just speak to Joe ... you know we will set you in the right direction when it comes to mechanicals.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:08 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Is it true that the heavier duty the clutch is, the more pedal effort required? Also, would this place more stress on the AUs mega chunky and durable firewall? LOL!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-04-2008, 09:25 AM   #5
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I guess it depends on the clutch setup ... I had an uprated clutch in my Proton ... but being a hydraulic setup ... I noticed little difference from standard to upgraded ... a calbe setup maybe different though.

I think the pedal effort comes down to the condition of the cable and it is getting caught/binding up, etc.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:37 AM   #6
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
Is it true that the heavier duty the clutch is, the more pedal effort required? Also, would this place more stress on the AUs mega chunky and durable firewall? LOL!

GK
In my case yes. The current one I have requires a majorly big effort to put in versus the standard one.

I reckon if I could quite easily do the firewall in again if I decided to dump it at every opportunity.

Old 01-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #7
LG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I replaced my clutch not too long ago. Ford put in the girliest of clutches. $h|t, was my pedal light. Like no joke, you would put your foot through the floor, it was that light. Annoyingly enough, the clutch wasn't strong enough to handle the stock power, and slipped in gear.

PBR came out to Ford and inspected my clutch and setup. They ended up putting in some expensive clutch. And fixed the problem, however pedal feel is much stronger. No where near as bad as the Xtreme Race Clutch i had in before. Grabs real well, and is a leading brand, nothing bad about it.

Cheeers
Old 01-04-2008, 09:15 PM   #8
FS5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

lox ,i think the clutch in mine is an exedy or who ever it is they bought out daiken.its called a sports tuff clutch.its about the same pedal feel as the stock au clutch,it slips nice for street driving,but it also has plenty of bite when your at the drags.i pull a trailer for work behind mine and encounter some very steep driveways with a ton or so behind it .the clutch has never slipped yet even riding it a bit,once its out the wheels just spin. it cost me about $280 for the kit off lee's spare's up here in brissy.

labour should be around the $300 mark to get a clutch fitted,including machine the fly wheel.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:19 PM   #9
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Thanks, I'll have a shop round for prices. If anyone else has any recommendations let me know.

Old 02-04-2008, 01:53 PM   #10
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

the heavy dutier the clutch-the heavier the pedal!
Old 02-04-2008, 02:47 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by loxxr6
Thanks, I'll have a shop round for prices. If anyone else has any recommendations let me know.
how long did the old one last?
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2008, 10:38 PM   #12
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Prob had it since...around mid 2003 maybe ?

Old 03-04-2008, 11:25 PM   #13
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

you obviousley know how to treat a clutch well done.
Old 04-04-2008, 02:40 PM   #14
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Is that good use or sarcasm I'm unsure lol.

I don't think my g/f's gear changes are helping the clutch last. She shouldn't be driving a manual at all.

Old 04-04-2008, 03:36 PM   #15
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:

I don't think my g/f's gear changes are helping the clutch last. She shouldn't be driving a manual at all.
I suspect he thinks that you're abusing the clutch by doing burnouts etc. I take his comments to mean that's good. LOL!

I'm sure he'll correct me if I'm wrong though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 04:57 PM   #16
Whoosha
AU DIE HARD
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the things you do behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I run a Extreme H/D organic in the XR8 its lighter than the factory one and tuff as .. cost was around $400 trade..supply only

........Age and treachery will ALWAYS overcome youth and skill.......

CORTINA 250 2V POWER soon to be AUXR8 Windsor pwrd

.............WINDSOR WARLORD WHO CARRIES THE CLEVO MAFIA AND BROKEN BOSSES...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Quote of the weekend: "The quarter mile wasn't as long as I expected it to be".
Whoosha is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 PM   #17
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

no mate it was complementry, there`s plenty of bods out there that do a clutch in 12 months or 2 years...........so nearly 5 years is a decent life span i reckon.
Old 04-04-2008, 06:16 PM   #18
XR6AU3
Starter Motor

wow those proces are alot cheaper than when I went to Sunshine Ford on the Gold Coast, they qouted $1200 for a new clutch fitted to my XR6 AUIII ute (including maching the flywheel).
XR6AU3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-04-2008, 06:07 PM   #19
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mik
you obviousley know how to treat a clutch well done.
Damn, realise I don't now. Checked the dates I replaced it and it was around August I think, 2006.

Car's been booked in and looks like I need a wheel bearing done too. Can't complain too much, most of the fixes on the car have been self inflicted.

Old 14-04-2008, 08:36 PM   #20
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Meh ... wheel bearing is nothing .... easier than a clutch
If Joe's nice enough ... he'll let you change the front hub while he does the clutch for you :P
Old 18-04-2008, 04:13 PM   #21
loxxr6
XB in parts...

Car is back with the new clutch in.

I'm the first car with this new setup he's trying. "It's a fibrous clutch but with a different cover and fingers, lighter casting too, should have an extra 20% or so effort."

The pedal feel is drastically lighter and the grab of the gears is way more noticeable. The car feels so much better now.

Old 18-04-2008, 08:45 PM   #22
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Always good to get a new clutch in ... I remember in my previous car ... after getting a heavy duty (30% better clamping pressure) Daiken unit in the Proton ... it transformed the car so much ... it was really enjoyable to punt around quickly.