Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 09-02-2007, 06:17 PM   #1
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Q-ride Brisbane

Hi All,

Going to get a bike for the work commute.

Ive been a slave to public transport for too long!

Will need to do a Q-ride for licencing - anyone done one before in the Brisbane area? Good/bad operators? Im located Sth Bris.

As for bikes - looking at a Suzuki GSF-400 Bandit. Have found a '06 model low K's for $4500.

I like the 'naked' bikes without fairing.

Again anyone have any knowledge on these or a similar style bike to compare with?

Primarly a strict commuter (which then also turns into weekend usage too no doubt!) - but no - not doing a scooter or a 250.

Cheers,
Coupsta

XA Coupsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:29 PM   #2
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Good idea,I used to do the same till I had to lay it over when mr wong pulled out on me,strictly cars from then on the road,I reckon you'll quickly get sick of a naked bike if you travel over 80kph or so for any length of time..
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 06:44 PM   #3
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks Nugget.

Were you injured badly?

To be honest mate Im not enthralled about a bike for the safety aspect.

But they are the cheapest mode of transport avail (fuel and rego cost even over a 4 cyl) - PLUS - this is the big one - I can park for free at my work (cars cant).

But yeh - anyone - feel free to talk me out of it.

Id rather be a cautious entrant to the world of bikes rather than a gung ho invincible one.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:36 PM   #4
woodsy109

Go for it mate!

I have a CBR 954RR and love it.

Although I haven't done a lot of commuting I think the bike you have chosen will be a good choice. Also remember that actual running costs of a bike are very cheap however maintenance can sometimes be a little more than a car. My bike costs as much as a performance car to keep as tyres ($550 every 10000k) chain/sprockets ($350 every 10000k) servicing ($250ish every 5000k) all add up.

The bike you have chosen will be considerably cheaper to run than mine (eg tyres $350ish, chain/sprocket every 20000k) because it is not as powerful. Also commuting isn't as harsh on the equipment as the way I ride :thebirds:

Just make sure you factor in at least $1000 for safety gear. I know it sounds a lot but you will need minimum gloves ($80-100), Jacket ($250-500) and helmet ($400-750). Make sure you get a really good helmet, and that doesn't mean nesessarily expensive. If it fits you really well then its a good helmet (mostly for me this means expensive).

Most bike accidents are the riders fault so go steady until you have some experience and you should be right. Just watch out for those crazy drivers that don't see you!

Good luck.
woodsy109 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:43 PM   #5
nugget378
Weezland

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to impart knowledge in the technical areas. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Thanks Nugget.

Were you injured badly?

To be honest mate Im not enthralled about a bike for the safety aspect.

But they are the cheapest mode of transport avail (fuel and rego cost even over a 4 cyl) - PLUS - this is the big one - I can park for free at my work (cars cant).

But yeh - anyone - feel free to talk me out of it.

Id rather be a cautious entrant to the world of bikes rather than a gung ho invincible one.
No not hurt bad,just some missing bark,had the girlfriend on the back that day as well, she came out better than me (had my jacket on)I ended up legs under the car right under the drivers door,went to stand up but just collapsed from the shock,took half an hour to recover,I was made to sell the bike that week,not that I needed much persuading at the time,I was pretty shocked.
nugget378 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 09:49 PM   #6
Falcon Coupe
Clevo Mafia Inc.

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: The exceptional contribution made to AFF over an extended period of time. Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Your tireless efforts behind the scenes in keeping AFF the place it is. 

What about a 600 Bandit, more poke, a bikini fairing for some protection and a good upright riding position for the commute.

1200 Bandits go very well, but not ideal for an inexperienced rider.

Falcon Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-02-2007, 10:19 PM   #7
!Gn|T|0n
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XA Coupsta
Hi All,

Going to get a bike for the work commute.

Ive been a slave to public transport for too long!

Will need to do a Q-ride for licencing - anyone done one before in the Brisbane area? Good/bad operators? Im located Sth Bris.

As for bikes - looking at a Suzuki GSF-400 Bandit. Have found a '06 model low K's for $4500.

I like the 'naked' bikes without fairing.

Again anyone have any knowledge on these or a similar style bike to compare with?

Primarly a strict commuter (which then also turns into weekend usage too no doubt!) - but no - not doing a scooter or a 250.

Cheers,
Coupsta
You wont look back! I recently bought a new (naked) Yamaha FZ6N and love the thing. I actually bought it originally for reasons different to yours. It was to be for weekend rides but rapidly turned into a daily commuter. I originally thought that traffic and bikes don't mix - and to a certain extent I still do - but I've educated myself since and the statistics indicate that with the right attitude and situational awareness it can be quite a safe mode of transport. One good article you should read before starting to commute can be found on the ozsportsbikes.com forum. Go to "General Riding Skills" and have a scan through. The particular thread is called "Urban Guerrilla - Motorcycle riding tips for in the city" but there’s lots of other handy things there too.

You're right in taking it in small steps. Keep that attitude up and treat it with respect and you'll be on the right track. The bandits are very nice bikes. I've ridden a few and have been impressed. The fairings improve aerodynamics at higher speeds, but for what you'll be using it for I doubt it would make a noticeable difference.

I agree with woodsy109; spend money on safety gear. The majority IMHO on the helmet. If you can afford it, go with a snell rated model which exceeds the Australian safety standard. I went with the Shoei TZR.

Let me know when you get the bike, we'll go for a ride.

Still saluting the Ford flag.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 09:41 AM   #8
slayer351

I would highly recommened at least a bikini fairing bike, anything over 80km/h and you will be wishing for one. I have a Honda 4 550 supersport, Oldie but a goodie, and boy it makes ya tired after a good 3 - 4 hour ride with no fairing, Especially if ya in a bit of a head wind.

Anyway thats my 2c worth.
slayer351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-02-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
AnthonyQLD
Boss power

I did my Q ride through ride smart http://www.ridesmart.com.au/index.htm I thought they were very good.
Old 12-02-2007, 11:16 AM   #10
XA Coupsta
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for all your responses.

Another bike I'm interested in is the monster series of the Ducati's (probably a 600).

Some great points woodsy109 on servicing costs - would it be true to say the Ducati's will be even higher again due to parts costs?

My ride will seldom be over 80 k's but I still see everyone making sense on the fairing or mini fairing thing.