Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 18-12-2006, 01:09 AM   #1
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default sound deadening under front guards

has anyone done sound deadening under the front guards? with the plastic sheild around it im not sure what to do. i could go with paint on stuff or something on the back of the plastic. idea's please

amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The brush/spray on stuff would be the best bet - it sticks to anything, including plastic.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 01:58 AM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

K&H make a brush on sound deadener/underbody protectant, and also a spray on version that comes in an aerosol.
Old 18-12-2006, 09:53 AM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

I used Septone sound deadener on my S1 wagon just yesterday!

You paint it on with a brush, and it does stick to anything. It pays to have the dust off though, I think that'll ensure a longer-lasting application.

I just jacked up the wheels on the wagon, it's not lowered so I had lots of room. On the sedan with XR suspension, I took each wheel off in turn.

A 4 litre can from SuperCheap cost me $45 (from memory on special). I think it's $50-55 normally. I used about 2 litres for the wagon all up, I chose not to paint the plastic under the front wheel arches. Perhaps I should have!

On the can, it says that 2 litres will do the underbody of the average car. I haven't done the underbody yet, but I think I'll be buying another 5 Litre can, doing the sedan wheel arches again and then probably going the underbody of both as well!

All the best with it.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:19 AM   #5
JoesAu

Yeah i bought some deadener the other day, ive done the back wheel arches and it works thats for sure, i need to do the front now. i used Septone its in a spray can 1 can did 2 wheel arches but i bought extra to pak it on.
JoesAu is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
amiers
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so do i paint it on the back of the plastic inner guard or paint it on the inside of the actual guard?
amiers is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 10:41 AM   #7
JoesAu

to do it properly i would take the plastics out and spray the steel guards not the plastic guard/wheels arches.
Old 18-12-2006, 01:33 PM   #8
Dauphin
Irregular member

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Endless work keeping the AU.com.au web site happening 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GK
I used Septone sound deadener on my S1 wagon just yesterday!
GK, what is your opinion of the result? What sort of effect does it have on road noise?

My hovercraft is full of eels!

Movie Car Chase of the Week: Gene Hackman driving a 1971 Pontiac LeMans to chase an elevated train in The French Connection (1971).
Dauphin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-12-2006, 11:20 PM   #9
JoesAu

it works i definately noticed it. cant wait to do the front
Old 18-12-2006, 11:41 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dauphin
GK, what is your opinion of the result? What sort of effect does it have on road noise?
I haven't driven the car yet, today was 3 oil changes, two AUs and a 2001 Laser, some work on the trailer and haven't had time to assess the result. Last time though, it made a big difference.

I went to SuperCheap again today (not in the wagon!) and bought another 4 litre can. Next I'm going for the undercarriage!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG

Old 19-12-2006, 12:27 AM   #11
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Easy to apply ... how thick is the deadener when applying.
Best not to do on the driveway (does it drip much)????
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 12:34 AM   #12
mattp
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's really thick, like tar, which makes sense since it's bitumen based. I did the inside of my boot with it, still waiting for a chance to do the wheel arches, hopefully this week. It doesn't really drip, it's too thick. I just used a fat brush to do mine, it's good stuff. Same as GK, I used the 4L Septone can from SUpercheap, ~$40.
mattp is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 12:48 AM   #13
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Tempting to do the front wheelarches and under the cabin as well.

Seeing as the rear is just ute tub with no solid floor ... it might be a little more difficult in that department.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-12-2006, 01:15 AM   #14
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechan1k
Easy to apply ... how thick is the deadener when applying.
Best not to do on the driveway (does it drip much)????
Very easy job, as Matt has said. If you try to apply too much in one go, it can be a bit touchy with drips, but I only got a few bits on the concrete out the back. No dramas really!

It's a fair whack thinner when it dries I noticed. I think the can mentions this.

I'm going for a swim at 6 in the morning and am taking the wagon. I'll see how it goes!

GK

Now gone!
On LPG